Charla & Mirna: TAR 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4294 replies to this topic

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

Hi. We hope to break stereotypes about . . . well, you know. Women with weird-looking teeth.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 11:55 AM

Yeah, the first post in this thread will be a really mean one, but Mirna looks really, REALLY easy.

Omoo

Omoo

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 11:58 AM

They do seem to be the team that knows something about the race and have travelled together. I'm not sure any past team has really been hampered by only speaking english, but I think french came in handy at one point, so it will be interesting to see how their knowledge of multiple languages works out.

PButtercup

PButtercup

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:01 PM

I am pre-disposed to like this team as they seem to have at least heard of the show before. But, in the TES preview today, they didn't even make it off the dock before Mirna was ragging on Charla to keep up - that could get annoying quickly.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

I say this team are golden to the Final Four. They have extensive traveling, speak a variety of languages, have a close relationship - things were looking remarkable for these two - then I read this...

Have you ever traveled together before? If so, what were the best and worst aspects of traveling together?

Yes, we have traveled together. The best aspect is that we meet and greet new and exciting people and create laughter and joy. The worst aspect: the fun always ends too soon.

Do I sense foreshadowing? Because of this - I'll bump them down to Final Five

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:08 PM

True, PButtercup, but in the interview, Charla says that she knows speed is one of her weak points. I'm hoping they do well, but not terribly optimistic about it.

SvenTheCoward

SvenTheCoward

Couch Potato

• Interests:Facebook, Hoops Dynasty @ Whatifsports.com, and reading fantasy/thrillers

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:15 PM

I want to root for this team, for no other reason than my first girlfriend, (and first love's) name was Charla.....

I think they'll do well, but unfortunately, I also think that somewhere, the lack of speed will do them in

EmmyMik

EmmyMik

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:29 PM

I'm pre-liking this team. They seem to have a good attitude (of course this is all on paper, and things might change)...

jennblevins

jennblevins

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:39 PM

Good: Cousins could be an interesting relationship to see. Well travelled with lots of languages. "Mentally, she is strong enough to eat any odd food."
Bad: Issues.

Verdict: pre-like, if they lay off the Issues.

Roark13579

Roark13579

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:41 PM

I'm thinking that if I were tired of people focusing on my size, I wouldn't introduce myself to the world by doing a circus trick that just draws attention to my stature. That's a little like a 400-pound guy saying he's tired of people calling him fat, and then whipping off his shirt and grabbing his belly and doing one of those my-belly-button-is-talking performances. (I know, they're probably required to emphasize their "hook" a lot, so I don't hate them for it or anything, but I hope we get less fretting about everyone's opinion than we got from the Chipsters last season.)

I think that to last long in the race despite the foot-speed issue, they'll have to be smart and use good teamwork; so if they stick around long enough to get to know them, I'll probably like them based on that.

JenEx

JenEx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

Meh, leaning slightly towards like due to multi-lingual abilities and previous world travel. I know I'm not supposed to deal in stereotypes, but Mirna? Seriously does not look like a lawyer. Smart, but perhaps hampered physically. We'll see.

Bedlam

Bedlam

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:59 PM

Okay with the pre-like, but have to point out the fact that they themselves make:

Charla can't run that fast... in a race.

Nor, I am betting, can she row, rappel, etc. as fast. You've heard the phrase "Give me a lever long enough and I can move the earth"? Well, Charla is working with a very short lever and regardless of how great she is, I see this being a problem. On the bright side, they seem the most experienced racers.

I see them as being the ultimate brains over brawn team. Will tons of travel experience make up for the fact that they are going to be slower on many of the physical activites? And how/will the activities be changed for them? Bicycling seems like it would automatically be out. (though not sure on this - anyone know if they have dwarf scaled bikes?)

I see them out in the first five and everyone being a bit sad over it.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:04 PM

I'm pre-liking them, for the extensive travel experience that should serve them well. Hopefully they'll be more JVJ than Reichip about their hook.

ThatGrrl

ThatGrrl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:37 PM

Pre-liking, if only because I'm (although not to Charla's degree) height-challenged. Also hoping that Mirna is the first likeable attorney on one of these shows. I could really get behind this team, if that were the case.

Huge advantage in the language department. Here's hoping the pre-like holds.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:41 PM

I think I Pre-Like them too. They didn't say anything in that interview that annoyed me. And pretty much everything annoys me.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:41 PM

Some initial pre-like, here. They at least seem to recognize there's going to be racing and challenges, as opposed to a luxury tour around the world.

Miss Alli

Miss Alli

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:42 PM

Wow. And Rachel really does hate everyone.

Mrsmom

Mrsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:45 PM

And pretty much everything annoys me.

Rachel RSL I luv you like a daughter!!

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:46 PM

I'm not able to see the videos till I get home from work, but to answer a question:

Bicycling seems like it would automatically be out. (though not sure on this - anyone know if they have dwarf scaled bikes?)

Yes, it's possible to get custom scaled bikes, or if a dwarf's legs are long enough just get a regular bike with a smaller frame. It depends on the type of dwarfism. Charla being an achon, she probably has the very short legs that would require a custom bike. Since they start at $1500 and take months to get, I suspect the producers will just skip bike riding.

The advantage achons have, however, is that while their arms and legs are short, their torsos are fairly average sized, so things like harnesses and all should fit her well.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:48 PM

It is an interesting balance that the team with the perhaps one of the biggest physical challenges is also the best travelled and most linguistically skilled. Hmmm. Don't know what to think.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

So far I really like this team. They seem to be actual fans of the show and to actually like each other. I'm afraid that their physical liabilities will prevent them from going very far, but I hope not.

macaddict

macaddict

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:06 PM

First person to make a Mini Me reference gets kicked in the

OW!

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:09 PM

Charla is obviously strong (I can't lift any of my cousins on my shoulders), but I agree she will be hampered. Unless they've been made to custom specs, she can't drive a bicycle, car, motorcycle, peddle boat, you name it. I prefer when the driving is split between both team members. I hope they last long enough to see Charla compete in some nasty eating challenge with her cast iron stomach.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:31 PM

Actually, there are portable pedal extenders that can be added onto a car's pedals in a matter of a couple of minutes that Charla could easily use to drive. I know dwarfs who travel with their own pedal extenders for rental cars and have no problem whatsoever adapting to driving. So don't write her off in the driving department yet!

EyesOfCat

EyesOfCat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:43 PM

Pre-like, mildly. Agree with many that it won't be good if the Issues get in the way. They seem to be fantastically well-qualified. (Which means "first out", doesn't it?)

MacMadame

MacMadame

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

Another shortie who has pre-like just based on that alone.

Plus the weird teeth are oddly endearing.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:56 PM

That's interesting. Would an extension be needed for the stick shift as well?

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 2:58 PM

You know, Charla and Mirna may get to use those cars with the little sirens are airports and pre-board. That would definitely come in handy.

Red Bubbles

Red Bubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

Tentative pre-like, but if Charla comes even CLOSE to veering into Reichip or Christy Smith territory with "boo-hoo-poor-me" it's alllll over. If, on the other hand, she can not only keep up with the pack but do it without complaining, she might well become my favorite racer of all time.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

Pre-like, they didn't say anything that annoyed me either. Seem upbeat, but not arrogant and ready to take on anything. No whining and I'll be rooting for them.