One Tree Hill: Helping The Chad Find Wives Since 2003

• Please log in to reply

25975 replies to this topic

Whahuh

Whahuh

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

They've been showing re-runs on a local channel here and I can't help but make a few observations along the way. Like, I really think the show can easily be divided into 3 segments. Or like 3 shows within a show. There's obviously the high school years. 1-4. This totally feels like a show with a high school backdrop, about brothers, their lives, the older gen is pretty prominent too. It's good drama.

Then there's years 5-6. The post time leap years. There's a lot of cast missing with the older gen gone now but the younger lot seem to move in to older roles pretty well. It's still good drama IMO.

And then there's 7-9. It's like this is a completely different show, except for a few bits here and there. There's just random life being led mostly with a supposed plot point here or there but, yeah. It all seems really non-cohesive. There's still parts I like, but overall I think the show's last fully cohesive year was season 6 where you could still call it OTH and have it seem like a continuation of where and how it all began.

I also think while watching season 5 that the time jump was handled really well. Much better IMO than it was done on Desperate Housewives. I still cared for the characters and was really invested in how they ended up. Even though its a shorter season I think its become one of my favorites actually.

Generally, any time I see this show now, I think it's sort of underrated. As in I underrated it while watching it the first time. It was sometimes campy, sometimes outright ridiculous and the dip in quality is really striking later on but it was also a really enjoyable ride in its day and got some things really right. I appreciate it for what it was now, and think there's a real void for something like this nowadays.

I don't know. I'm feeling pretty nostalgic these days for old beloved shows like this, BH 90210 and The OC. lol.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

I agree as to the time divisions. I love this show and also BH90210 and OC, to the point where I bought the vids except for the OC. Good point that it is trisected. I love the first 4 seasons, cheese and all. Along with the kids, the parents' stories were equally exciting (and ridiculous). Add to that that the characters and sets are attractive, the music is wonderful and I think they did a good job of having the main cast be likeable even when they were doing awful things, i.e. the eternal triangle - I never could hate Peyton or Brooke, though I think Lucas needed a wakeup call. Also agree that the time jump was handled well and made sense (for a soap). I did miss the adults being gone but they would have been out of the picture by then anyway I guess. The last couple seasons were just meh to me and OTT ridiculous and OMG, the hours wasted on Jamie and Chuck and other unlikeable random characters. Ugh. Even the music got bad. On the whole though, loved it.

Edited by Maxbird, Aug 24, 2012 @ 8:38 PM.

Solexa

Solexa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

I'm sorry to post this gossip little detail here, but I had no idea where else to post it. So I was catching up on OTH actors just to see what they've been up to lately and came across these pictures of BJL with a guy and her cute daughter: http://25.media.tumb...b6pdjo1_500.jpg
http://sphotos-b.ak....171955368_n.jpg

Apparently he was on Charmed, but I have no idea who he is. Anybody know anything about this?

Edited by Solexa, Mar 2, 2013 @ 11:49 AM.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

I have to agree it felt like three shows. I liked the HS years best because as mentioned everyone looked great, the sets were great, the older set was well featured and had fantastic story, and there was good music. I would even compare it to The OC which in my opinion was much better written, had superior production values, the actors were more talented, and the characters were consistent.

Pyewacket

Pyewacket

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 12:18 PM

Solexa, the guy is Wes Ramsey. I don't know if they're anything more than friends, but they've known each other since they both worked on Guiding Light.

S7W9C2

S7W9C2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

Happy to see Sophia Bush land another pilot. Though it's on NBC, it's more promising than her last project. Nice cast so far too. Looking forward to this one.

http://tvline.com/20...medium=facebook

Solexa

Solexa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Solexa, the guy is Wes Ramsey. I don't know if they're anything more than friends, but they've known each other since they both worked on Guiding Light.

Thanks! I didn't know they knew each other for a long time.

Also, Sophia's new pilot sounds really interesting.

Edited by Solexa, Mar 2, 2013 @ 7:11 PM.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

Sounds promising. For some reason the premise reminds me of Revenge. A nighttime soap with some vets and some pretty people where its about class differences and old grudges and revenge with a mysterious death.

Solexa

Solexa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

Since I brought the question in the first place, it looks like BJL and Wes Ramsey are definitely dating: http://25.media.tumb...g5xl4o1_250.jpg

They're a cute couple, I must say.

And now that we're talking about SB's new show, it also looks like SVS booked a new FOX pilot: "Gang Related" - http://www.deadline....-adds-actress/. Does anyone know if JL has anything in the works? Not that I'm exactly a fan of him but he seems to be the only one without having anything to do since the end of the show. At least I couldn't find anything.

Edited by Solexa, Mar 11, 2013 @ 8:30 AM.

Cassie Jess

Cassie Jess

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 6:17 PM

It looks as though BJL will be recurring on Dexter next season.

Link.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 10:29 AM

I recently started watching this show on Netflix Instant after my sister recommended it. I remember catching a few episodes in high school when it originally aired and not really liking it, but after re-watching it, I think it is a good, solid series, maybe not up to Everwood or Gilmore Girls standards (IMO, the very best of the old WB Network), but still quite strong. I'm only up to S6, but I think the 4th season and the 6th are probably the most interesting to me. I like all the characters pretty much, but Haley, Nathan, Mouth, Skillz and Deb are my faves (heh, random, I know!)

I wasn't quite sure how the transition from high school to several years later would work, but I think they pulled it off pretty well. My one problem with the time-skip thing I think is that all of our heroes end up ridiculously successful at such a young age that it can be a little hard to relate. I mean, Lucas has two books published at age 22 (one that is being made into a movie!), Brooke is the head of her own corporation/clothing line and even Mouth is famous as a sport's anchor. But, I suppose in the universe of OTH, it kind of makes sense as a lot of the storylines are a bit OTT. If the good things that happen to the characters are rather extreme, that's nothing compared to the bad stuff.

I mean, if you go by a character-by-character basis:

Lucas: In a car wreck in S1 and went into a coma, diagnosed with a heart condition, had a heart attack in S4 and actually died and came back

Nathan: Also went into a coma after getting in a car accident, IIRC, broke his back in S5

Peyton: Got shot by Jimmy Edwards and almost died from blood loss, kidnapped by "Psycho Derek," Nearly died during complications of her pregnancy in S6

Haley: Hit by a car in S4, almost killed by Nanny Carrie

Brooke: Attacked/beaten and had her store robbed, almost drowned in S8 (I hear, anyway. Haven't gotten to that season yet)

Dan: Also has a heart condition, had a heart attack and went in a coma, needed a heart transplant, got captured/tortured by Nanny Carrie

Haha, I guess the point is, it's meant to be sort of a soap opera and once you accept that it has little to do with the real world, it becomes a much more enjoyable show. I think, though, despite all the insane drama, the characters behave quite realistically and are relatable and well-developed.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

They tested the limits even for a soap. It didn't help the show runner thought it was a serious drama and the stories were masterpieces.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 6:03 PM

Saw Hilarie Burton on an episode of Grey's last week. I think she's back this week as well. I've got to say out of everyone in the cast I never thought she would be the one still regularly on my screen. She's doing pretty well.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

Sophia has landed herself a new gig. She's replacing Melissa Sagemiller as the female lead in Chicago PD. NBC's spinoff to Chicago Fire.

http://www.deadline....eries-regulars/

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

Chad has broken SEVEN YEAR engagement to Kenzie Dalton.  However, never fear, he apparently found love with Nicky Whelan his co-star in Left Behind.  Old habits die hard.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

They tested the limits even for a soap. It didn't help the show runner thought it was a serious drama and the stories were masterpieces.

Heh. True indeed. If it had been more tongue-in-cheek, it would have been more palatable, but I definitely got the impression that most of these stories were supposed to be serious business. I was thinking the other day about how I actually LIKED the Psycho Derek storyline, over-the-top as it was and thought there was some nice development for Peyton there. However, they pretty much re-did the crazy/sociopathic, OTT stalker storyline like four or five more times over the course of the series, each getting progessively more ridiculous. It wasn't THAT great of a story. Why re-do it every season? Even dumber, IMO, was the fact that (from what I saw) NONE of the characters seemed to ever make the connection. I liked it how in a recent Grey's Anatomy season, for example, we had characters awknowledge the ridiculous number of disasters their hospital has faced (even jokingly referring to it as "Seattle Grace Mercy Death" or something). But did anyone ever say anything about TH being cursed with varitable horror movie villains? Or even compare, say, Nanny Carrie to Psycho Derek? Not that I'm aware of...

Xavier would have been okay, I suppose, had he just been a completely random stranger who broke into Brooke's store. But killing Quenton too? IDK about that...It sounds like it got even more ridiculous in S9 when he specifically starts coming after Brooke. Haven't gotten around to that season and am not particulalry interested given that it mostly focuses on Brooke, who has never interested me much (probably my least favorite character, in fact, especially since her importance increased so much in the post time-skip seasons).

Nanny Carrie was beyond ridiculous. Just all around hated that storyline. She was not a good villain, IMO and the way she kept Dan tied up at her house and tortured him was like a pale and obvious imitation of Misery.

Katie was pretty much just like Nanny Carrie personality-wise, but perhaps even lamer in terms of the story. Why did she look just like Clay's dead wife? Was that ever properly explained? Because that's quite the bizarre coincidence. Her final battle with Quinn was also laughably bad and drawn out (although probably not as dumb as Nanny Carrie chasing Jamie and Haley through the corn fields). Kudos to Quinn for not killing her though, I guess...

Haven't seen the ninth season yet, but it sounds like Nathan gets taken hostage by some Russian terrorist? Just what?

My favorite parts have always been the smaller, more subtle storylines: Nathan's relationship with his dad, Dan's rivalry with Keith, Skills and Deb pairing up and hiding it from their friends, Deb and Karen's budding friendship, Jimmy Edwards (okay, that became a bigger one, but I still kind of liked the idea of him acting out because of Lucas/Mouth/Skills' neglect and the thing with the time capsule), Peyton getting to know her dad, Haley's song writing career. That kind of thing was always more interesting than the OTT disasters.

Edited by IBM62, Oct 28, 2013 @ 3:30 PM.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

I'm re-watching the show (don't ask why) and I've realized that I missed most of season 7.

Between Millie, Alex, and Alex, I can see why I skipped it. I have to ask though, what is the deal with record label girl and psychic bartender? They share no real story lines with the rest of the cast. Record label girl was instantly neutered and Haley could have been a rock star talking to the label off-screen. (or Peyton, who should still be involved, according to me)

Was there any real-life explanation for what was happening here? Why were we stuck with these actors/characters?

Lived In Inch

Lived In Inch

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

I also went on an One Tree Hill binge for the last few weeks. I basically went through all my DVD sets that I had and went on to buy the last three seasons. So I am going through marathon watching after work. I just completed Season 7. I am still feeling depressed due to the Haley storyline. But the Naley montage in that season finale was both heartbreaking and beautiful. I always have been a Naley fan since the start. It encapsulate Nathan and Haley's journey perfectly. I still think that Alex Dupre is the most annoying character that season. I am hoping Season 8 and Season 9 will get me out of the funk. If not, I still can go back through the Naley beginnings in Season 1.
"You are responsible for raising the woman who changed my entire world. I'll never forget that Lydia. Thank you for saying yes." Said Nathan. And he has seven season of a television show to back it up. It is nice to go through the entire show with some nostalgic perspective.

Edited by Lived In Inch, Nov 9, 2013 @ 9:52 PM.

Paracosm

Paracosm

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

I mean, if you go by a character-by-character basis:

Also, the heart Dan was supposed to get was eaten by a dog (WTF?!). Nathan almost drowned in the season 4 premiere saving Cooper and Rachel the idiot. And Brooke was infertile for a long time before "miraculously" giving birth to twins.  

If it had been more tongue-in-cheek, it would have been more palatable...But did anyone ever say anything about TH being cursed with varitable horror movie villains? Or even compare, say, Nanny Carrie to Psycho Derek? Not that I'm aware of

I don't think so, but I was rewatching the season 6 premiere recently, and Peyton joked that she was being responsible and sending a text message so her friends wouldn't think she was kidnapped by Psycho Derek. 

Edited by Paracosm, Dec 7, 2013 @ 11:23 PM.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

If it had been more tongue-in-cheek, it would have been more palatable...But did anyone ever say anything about TH being cursed with varitable horror movie villains?

That episode where they visit a Texas prom has Lucas talking to the normal high school students and realizing just how bizarre his life is, and I know the finale had Nathan telling Jamie he can't just leave without warning because they're Scotts and Haley's assuming he's been kidnapped.

I'm having a Netflix Christmas break marathon of the most overdramatic episodes. I only watched certain seasons of the show when it originally aired (1-6, depending on if there was anything better in the time slot), but I always preferred this to Dawson's Creek because nothing ever happened on Dawson's Creek. Say what you will about One Tree Hill, but it was never boring. The problem was with Mark Schwahn combining the cheesiest kind of soap opera storylines with the public service announcements and thinking it was high art.

And in addition to the high number of maniacs lurking about coastal North Carolina, another thing that I could never believe was the high number of car accidents in the high school years. I can think of five off the top of my head, and I'm sure there were others later.

Edited by kcblue86, Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:01 PM.

IBM62

IBM62

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

Haha, yeah, car accidents were a ridiculously common occurance. There were fewer after the time-skip, but there was that episode where Brooke almost drowns after the car that Jamie and friends are stuck in goes over the bridge. Lame.

Another random stupid thing I noticed is how there is never just one character at the hospital at a time. For example:

1) Dan and Whitey (after, IIRC, Dan had his first heart attack and Whitey had a brain tumor)

2) Lucas and Haley (after Haley was hit by a car and Lucas had his heart attack)

3) Karen and Haley (both having their babies at the end of S4)

4) In that S8 episode where Brooke drowns, there is parellel edititing of both her and Katie being taken away in ambulances.

There's probably others, too, Lol.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

All right, random observations since my "overdramatic episodes" rewatch has turned into a full-on watch of season 5 onward (I'm near the end of season six).

1. Lee Norris is the best fake crier they've got. He's very good in the the school shooting ep and in his breakup scenes with Millie.

2. Austin Nichols is better than I remember him being. He seems like one of the better late additions to the cast.

3. Jamie is so adorable. I love how he's friends with every other character on the show. I think he's actually one of the better kid characters on TV.

4. James Lafferty is so pretty when he plays basketball.

5. Ok, why the hell was Dan allowed on the Tree Hill High campus in season six? He's there dropping off and picking up Jamie like it's no problem. He killed someone at the school. Doesn't this school have any security?

...Aaannd, Peyton just got T-boned at an intersection. While pregnant. 

ETA: Finished season 7, didn't want to double post:

Best moment of season 7: Jimmy Edwards' mother slapping Dan. I've been waiting for someone to confront Dan on Jimmy's behalf and that was the right way to do it.

Worst moment: Millie's coke addiction. Seriously? I remember when I used to like her and her relationship with Mouth. 

Clay and Quinn bore me, although I don't hate them. I like that he tried to get Psycho!Katie some help before she tried to kill them. I do find it amusing that Clay Evans has Clay Aiken hair.  Is that how they named the character?

An entire season without a car accident? I knew they could do it!

Edited by kcblue86, Jan 1, 2014 @ 11:14 PM.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 7:37 PM

I finished! I saw the series finale when it first aired, but it was much better after seeing all the episodes of the final season. I like that they all got happy endings. I feel like the characters earned their happy endings. One of the show's best episodes.

Other things I liked from the last two seasons:

1. Haley's season eight hair.

2. Haley has plots! 

3. Lydia Scott is adorable.

4. They made me like all the C characters I didn't like before: Chase, Chuck, Chris and Clay. 

5. Brooke and Julian getting married and starting a family.

6. Dan redeeming himself by saving Nathan's life, being forgiven by Nathan, Keith and Haley, but still not by Lucas. I know that's mostly because Chad Michael Murray left the show, but I don't think Lucas would have ever been able to forgive Dan regardless.

Now for the things I didn't like:

1. A season and a half of unemployed Mouth followed by a season of Lee Norris in a fat suit? Really? I'm supposed to care about that when Nathan's been kidnapped by evil basketball-controlling gangsters with inexplicable ties to Tree Hill? 

2. Lucas not helping rescue Nathan. I know he offered to stay and help, and I get that CMM was off the show, but still, he should have done something, even if they just said he was offering assistance from offscreen. It's not in his character to just stay back and watch the kids while Nathan's life is at stake. Every other time, he has literally come running.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 1:01 AM

Was there ever any throwaway lines about Lucas during Haley's depression storyline? Since they were best friends, I would have thought Lucas would have reached out to Haley or even Nathan. I did enjoy the Haley/Lucas friendship throughout the series.

Edited by Misslindsey, Jan 12, 2014 @ 1:01 AM.

kcblue86

kcblue86

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

Was there ever any throwaway lines about Lucas during Haley's depression storyline?

None that I remember. I know Haley started writing letters to him afterward in season 8, but I don't think they had anything before that.

MuffySimba

MuffySimba

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

I still dislike how characters didn't show up for improtant moments.

Keith is killed and his parents do not attend his funeral. That would have made a great storyline. Royal and May's reaction to Dan killing their other son, his own brother.

Haley is almost killed, gives brith to Jamie and graduates high school. Her parents are nowhere to be found. Her mother dies and it's done in a season Lucas is not a part of.

Peyton is attacked, gives brith to Sawyer, almost dies and gets married. Larry is nowhere to be found. 

I understand Actors/Actresses can get busy, but did Mark even try to get these people to come back? The HSYs are still the best years of the show. S4 is the weakest high school season, but it's still better than what came after. The show lost it's heart after S4. AOASIME is still a perfect ending for the show.

Here is something everyone should know. Mostly for new fans.  Time does not exist in Tree Hill. Do not pay attention to it.

Edited by MuffySimba, Apr 5, 2014 @ 10:42 PM.