Which Network Does it Best? Championship Sports on the Big Four

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

jl89

jl89

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 11:35 AM

Nevermind.

Edited by jl89, Dec 11, 2005 @ 4:43 PM.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 9:29 PM

I'd probably include the Olympics with NBC.

I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, I tend to like the sportscasters rather than the network.

Edited by SpchProf, Jun 5, 2004 @ 9:29 PM.

appleeyes84

appleeyes84

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

FOX, definitely FOX.

I miss NBC having the NBA. Well NBC's loss is TNT's gain.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 11:20 PM

FOX: "On an all new Boston Public student seduces a teacher and then shoots a classmate" repeat every 15 minutes.

redfullmoon

redfullmoon

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 12:47 AM

FOX during the baseball playoffs and World Series is BY FAR the worst of the four networks in promoting their non-sports programming ad nauseum during the respective championship series.

In FOX's defense, most of their fall season premieres are delayed until late October, after the World Series ends, so they have to advertise for them. But the degree to which they do it and how it interferes with the average fan's enjoyment of the baseball game is grating. For example, constant promotional graphics on-screen and voiceovers from the announcers, interviews betweeen innings with stars of FOX shows embedded in the stands who are pretending to know something about baseball, etc.

BLAH! I love baseball, and I've gotten used to FOX's coverage because they've had the MLB playoffs contract for about 8 years now, but their annoying advertising is probably a subconscious reason why I rarely watch FOX's regular programming.

jl89

jl89

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by jl89, Dec 11, 2005 @ 4:40 PM.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 3:47 AM

strange, i thought i posted this:

The worst FOX advertising tool is when during the World Series, they want their viewers to say to themselves:

"Hey look! It's Ashton Kutcher! At the World Series! I MUST WATCH THAT 70'S SHOW."

trancer

trancer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 1:48 AM

I'd probably include the Olympics with NBC.

Ugh, I hate, *hate*, HATE NBC's coverage of the Olympics. The Lifetime-ization with the continous profile pieces (and I'm a chick), the incessant chatter of the hosts (what the Hell's Katie Couric doing there and shut Bob Costas!), the ignoring of smaller less "high profile sports"*, but the worst offense, imo, was the constant tape delaying of events, long after they've been completed and the results broadcast over every other network, all for the sake of broadcasting it "live" during Primetime. A couple events I can understand but every friggin' day!! The only good thing I can say about NBC's coverage is "thank God, I get CBC".

*admittedly, this is getting better with NBC spreading out their coverage amongst their other networks, but still, they can do better.

Imo, ABC's coverage of the Olympics was always head and shoulders better than the rest, with CBS in second with their coverage of the Winter Olympics. Since NBC has pretty much a stranglehold on the Olympics for the next 20 years, they've slipped tremendously in quality.

HVashon

HVashon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

FOX - You take the good with the really bad:
The good - The corner scoreboard (I believe they were the first). Neat camera angles for football.
The bad - Overproduced. Promos for their crap. Buck Jr. overdramatizing. Stupid NFL pregame. Constant camera shots of crowd and dugouts.

ABC - Usually a solid, professional job with NHL, NBA and NFL broadcasts. Wish they had the Olympics.

CBS - Good NFL broadcasts and who doesn't love a commercial-free Masters (thanks Martha). NCAA coverage is good except for inevitable tourney cut-away snafus and loads of commercials (to pay for contract) remove game drama.

NBC - XFL, Arena football, ugh. Did a good job with Horse Racing. Bob Costas is being wasted, although he can be a bit sanctimonious at times. Olympics is good in the "off sports" (soccer, XC skiing, swimming), I can't stand all the "human interest" crap (although ABC started it).

I would immediately fire all sideline reporters. They don't add a damn thing. I loved it when Chad Curtis blew off Jim Gray at the '99 series.

Edited by HVashon, Jun 18, 2004 @ 10:04 AM.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

but the worst offense, imo, was the constant tape delaying of events, long after they've been completed and the results broadcast over every other network, all for the sake of broadcasting it "live" during Primetime. A couple events I can understand but every friggin' day!! The only good thing I can say about NBC's coverage is "thank God, I get CBC".

*admittedly, this is getting better with NBC spreading out their coverage amongst their other networks, but still, they can do better.

I'll admit that when it comes to Grand Slam tennis, NBC will for some reason show taped play when live play is available. But how can NBC make their Olympic coverage better? This August is going to showcase the most Olympic coverage ever.

HeavenLy

HeavenLy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2004 @ 8:52 AM

The worst FOX advertising tool is when during the World Series, they want their viewers to say to themselves:

"Hey look! It's Ashton Kutcher! At the World Series! I MUST WATCH THAT 70'S SHOW."

Word. Sometimes it's worse. It's "Over there is the Someone Youhaveneverheardof, star of Fox's NEW series North Shore on Thursday at 8/7 central."

For me, lately it's about the picture. I hate most of the commentators. There are some I tolerate, but they ALL annoy to some degree.

In watching in high def, I would have to say NBC's High Def is seriously lacking. In watching the Masters on CBS, I could see the blades of grass. I felt like I was standing there with Phil Mickelson. Fox's High Def definitely influences their coverage of the game - you can tell by their camera angles. ABC was so-so during the NBA finals. I didn't feel like I was there, but with NBC it was a mess.

Tiramisu1980

Tiramisu1980

Posted Mar 5, 2005 @ 2:04 PM

I loved Charles Barkley on TNT. ABC should put him on their NBA coverage & get rid of Kobe's bitch, Jim Gray & that worthless bastard Ahmad Rashad. Somebody should pour bleach on these 2 losers.

johnnya2k4

johnnya2k4

Posted Mar 5, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

Anyone remember the old days when ABC's sports programs would end with "This has been a presentation of ABC Sports: Recognized around the world as the leader in sports television!" That was before they gave that title to ESPN (after Disney bought them) and then it was "ABC Sports: Continuing the tradition of excellence!" and now "ABC Sports: Championship Television!" Well, with the U.S./World Figure Skating Championships, NBA Finals, British Open, World Cup/Women's World Cup, Indianapolis 500, and Super Bowl XL, they are Championship Television alright!

CBS had something similar in the '80s and '90s with "When you look for champions, you look to CBS Sports!" And HBO had long used "This has been a presentation of HBO Sports: The Network of Champions!" until they gave their Wimbledon coverage to fellow network TNT. At least the only thing they still have that's "championship" worthy is boxing.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2005 @ 5:26 PM

I HATE Fox coverage of Major League Baseball. Actually, I think I just hate Fox in general. Their NFL studio show grates on my nerves. I used to love the old CBS NFL pregame show (remember when those were only a half-hour long?) hosted by Brent "You're Lookin' Live" Musberger: "You're lookin' live at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., where the Redskins take on the Eagles today..." (Now, of course, Brent just annoys me on college sports broadcasts.)

I really like TNT's basketball studio program. It's a shame the NBA draft isn't on TNT anymore.

CBS coverage of the NCAA tournament is probably my favorite coverage of a playoffs/championship. They do a really good job of showing all the games that are getting down to the wire, and will cut away from a regional game if necessary. I also like their announcers, for the most part.

What drives me crazy about ABC/ESPN is when they take elements unique to one network (like the Monday Night Football theme song) and adapt them over to the other network. It screams "CORPORATE SYNERGY" and is incredibly annoying.

Also, on ESPN: Their analysts/commentators (with a few exceptions like Jay Bilas) are just.getting.worse. Anyone catch Doug Gottlieb accusing a Big Ten referee of fixing a game the other night? Klass-ay, Doug.

bmasters9

bmasters9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 12:35 PM

I HATE Fox coverage of Major League Baseball. Actually, I think I just hate Fox in general. Their NFL studio show grates on my nerves. I used to love the old CBS NFL pregame show (remember when those were only a half-hour long?) hosted by Brent "You're Lookin' Live" Musberger: "You're lookin' live at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C., where the Redskins take on the Eagles today..." (Now, of course, Brent just annoys me on college sports broadcasts.)

I remember back to when Brent did "The NFL Today" also. Although more people think of the mid-late '70's as the best era of the program, I think more of the '80's versions, because:

1. I was born then (1981 to be exact.)

2. The title sequence circa '83 (the "football player" running through a simulated TV studio-- this was created by Bill Feigenbaum) is one of my favorite '80's title sequences.

3. The studio is also one of my favorites, what with the horizontal title across the top of the highlight area, the wood-grain color, etc.

What do you think?

Edited by bmasters9, Jul 24, 2006 @ 11:41 AM.