Naruto and Naruto Shippuden: Someday I Will Become Hokage!

• Please log in to reply

5453 replies to this topic

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2004 @ 3:42 PM

A thread for Naruto-tteba yo! Since this is the first post of my first topic, I'll just throw stuff out there.

How far is Viz's translation? Does it suck? I've picked up a few tankoubon, and read through 220 chapters of scanlations, but I'm debating subscribing to Shonen Jump if only because I feel obligated to patronize it.

I'll probably be attacked for this, but I really friggin' hate Sasuke. Enough with the misplaced attitude, already. Turd.

Are Lee and Gai great or what? Psh, just my favorite characters (with Naruto and Gaara). I'm a strong Sakura/Lee supporter, just because Lee deserves whomever he wants. I just hope Sakura gets her head out of her arse, ditches Sasuke, and goes for the guy who'd die to protect her. And can kick Sasu's assu any day. Once upon a time he could, anyway. Konoha's Beautiful Beast!

The opening songs for the anime are really bad, until the 4th one. The first and 4th ending songs are both pretty neat.

Are there any plans to bring the games over?

And my SN is taken from the horror manga, not the blond genin.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2004 @ 7:50 PM

I knew someone would eventually make this topic. I was thinking of making one for Get Backers...any fans of that show?

Anyway, I loved this show up untill after Lee got crippled and the tournament ended. Then I lost intrest. It was cool seeing Shikamaru as the leader and finding out that theres actually a cool person on that team. But, that's the only thing I found intresting.

I'll probably be attacked for this, but I really friggin' hate Sasuke. Enough with the misplaced attitude, already. Turd.

Hey, I hate the little turd too. Whats more annoying is every time the little snots about to get his arse handed to him the fight's stopped. It happend when he fought Lee, Garaa and the new and improved Naruto. Damn it to heck!! Oh...and I also dispise Neji. The little jerk hurt Hinata.

Are Lee and Gai great or what? Psh, just my favorite characters (with Naruto and Gaara). I'm a strong Sakura/Lee supporter, just because Lee deserves whomever he wants.

Rock Lee is single handedly, the greates anime character of all time, a welcome change from all those perfect bishonenes (Hinata, Shino, Ten Ten, Kiba, Pervy Sensaie and Kakashi also rule all, to a lesser extent). I want Lee to end up with Sakura for the same reason you mentioned. :) also, becuse Sakura is less shalow and annoying around him. Har Sasuke obsession is a sad fixation on a pretty boy, who treats her like dirt. But, with Lee he actually respects and she's finally starting to apreciate "thick brows." The one thing I hate about Lee is that dumb Drunken boxing. What was wrong with Lees old way of fighting? he always made such a big deal about how he had to work his arse off to get where he is. That's one of the things I loved about his character. Now all he has to do is have a chug of whisky? Not to mention he's still got a few more gates he could always open.

I also wanna see Naruto and Hinata together, cuase I think theyre cute. Plus she's cool. Her and Garaa's si are the only compotent female Genin (Ten-Ten was a big dissapointment. All the members of team Gai should kick arse).

Garaa's a cool and intresting character as well. But, he and his brother are sure to suffer from permanet back aches when they get older. :p

The opening songs for the anime are really bad, until the 4th one. The first and 4th ending songs are both pretty neat.

I don't know. I love listnin' to Wind, Haruka Kanata, Alive and Viva Rock. How can you not love all the characters SD and marching in line.

NySoul

NySoul

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

Is there some kind of spoiler rule for this thread?

Anyways, I don't mind Sasuke and Naruto. My love/hate level for those two are basically the same. I don't care for Naruto because he's the main character which mean he's an attention ho' and Sasuke - I don't remembered much about him. I lost interest on this show after Lee got crippled and the tournament end too.

I hate this show for it usage of flashbacks. Holy shit! It's damn annoying sometimes. Example: Naruto / X character losing a battle, flashback, new found motivation/power and beat the crap out of everyone/everything. So cliche sometimes. I think this anime would have been shorter by a forth if they takes out most of the flashbacks.

I love Lee character. He's the endowment of the greatest hard worker EVER. I don't know where he gets his motivation from, but dammit if I had that kind of motivation I be a Nobel Prize winner right now. He Kick. Arses. Saruka's a blind idiot for being obessed with Sasuke and utterly useless most of the time.

I think I need to go back and rewatch this anime - I stopped at episode 60 a long time ago and haven't been reading the manga.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2004 @ 5:26 AM

Whee! Naruto thread!

So true. Sasuke is so overrated. I don't hate him, but his character gets old, and he makes Sakura such a lame character. The most interesting thing she ever did was cut her hair. And while Hinata's back story involves a majorly dysfuctional family, kidnapping, identity swaps, and generally being a family disappointment, Sakura and Ino are all "We can't be best friends anymore because we like the same boy!" I thought she was going to be cool after that the hair cutting thing...but I guess not. I don't want Lee and Sakura to end up together because...well...he may deserve to get the girl he wants, but, her? He could do better.

I don't mind the flashbacks, because I find them pretty interesting, and it's good to know how a character's history motivated their current actions. But it is kind of lazy. Is there a better way of doing this?

I've gotten pretty behind with the series (both anime and manga) so I guess being able to post in this thread will give the me motivation I need to catch up. I slacked off waiting for the Naruto/Gaara fight.

I loved the first closing song (Wind). So sad and fitting for that part of the series. Harumonia cracks me up and had me singing along (as best I could) for as long as it was on. Actually, I quite like most of the songs that have been on opening and closing credits. Didn't hate any, just like some more than others.

I'm with you NySoul about needing to develop a spoiler rule. What do you suggest?

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

Spoiler rule, eh? Well, I've read all of the manga, so shall I give a rundown of it so far? In spoiler tags? I don't know. If you guys figure something out, I'll adhere to it.

Lee could totally do better than Sakura, but I hold out hope for her. I think his influence could make her less of a crybaby shrew. And maybe she could even learn a freakin' special ability, considering Lee is unable to do ninjutsu and genjutsu, and he was even crappy at taijutsu, but overcame it.

I've never really thought about Lee's Drunken style ability like that, skyegazer, but now I kinda agree with you. Just as long as he doesn't do it constantly, and sticks with his usual style, I suppose it'll be okay. Lee's not the type to drink anyway. Heh. I know sake is supposed to be a really strong drink, but Lee must be a serious lightweight if a tiny bit can get him totally plastered. A drunk Lee is a cute thing, though.

DarthLainey

DarthLainey

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2004 @ 9:27 PM

Yay! A thread for Naruto! ::does a little happy dance::

So the Sasuke hatred isn't just me? Sweet. It he stopped angsting so damn much maybe he would be a likeable character. And get rid of that annoying 'I own you all, even those that are clearly much better fighters than me' attitude.

Lee does rock hardcore. *tiny voice* I kinda thought the drunken fighting was funny *tiny voice* I'm not saying he should use it all the time, it was just a cute little gag.

Uzumaki, Sakura does have a special ability! She has the ability to get beaten into the ground repeatedly while we watch annoying flashbacks to her childhood. That scene made me a happy happy girl.

As for any other characters, Chouji will always have a special place in my heart. Damn Kishimoto and his sympathetic backstories. If Chouji doesn't make it, there will be terrible vengence.

Daen

Daen

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2004 @ 12:16 AM

Heh. I guess I'll be brave and admit to my Sasuke and Naruto like. It's just that Sasuke tries so hard to be like Itachi but never succeeds because then he actually shows he cares. Especially for a certain ramen eating blond. I guess that was a very big hint as to what shipper I am but you can't blame me though. They met with an accidental kiss! They fight! Sasuke risks his life for Naruto even though he has to live to kill his brother!

It's tru wuv.

Of course, in saying that, I pretty much love all the characters in Naruto ('cept for Sakura - she's background noise). Jiraiya (absolutely love his nickname 'Pervy Sennin'), Kakashi (and his hentai book), Shika (I too am lazy), Lee (so earnest! So hardworking!), Gai (oh dear...how can I describe Gai...he's indescribable...)

I'm reading the manga so far but haven't got access to the anime. Will the spoilers be anime related or manga? I don't know how close they are...

anna_w

anna_w

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2004 @ 1:10 AM

Wow a Naruto topic. I love Kakashi sensei and I think he and Iruka sensei have a really good chemistry with one another. A chemistry that for some reason come off rather strongly even when they first met. It's probably because Iruka tends to blush everytime Kakashi smiles at him.

I don't mind Sasuke much either and I do get the impression that he isn't much into girls either. It must be one of those ninja thing, at least the ninjas in this show. I have the HoYay vibe that is far from other type of ninja shows.

I wish Sakura can set her mind on other things than her obsession for Sasuke. But oh well, hopefully she'll learn about this soon enough.

Edited by anna_w, May 31, 2004 @ 1:11 AM.

NySoul

NySoul

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2004 @ 1:33 AM

You know from what I seen of the anime and read of the manga, they're pretty neck to neck. Maybe, I have a bad memories and can't find the differences between those anime and manga, but I can't really find much differences.

Oh yeah, I like Naruto as a main character more than any other main characters of TV shows, movies, games, etc. (I'm anti-main character shipper) for the sole reason that Naruto's purpose in life is to try all the different types of ramen noddles in the world. IMHO, this is a VERY noble goal just as noble as his other goal of becoming a hokage.

Other characters that I like are Gaara, Shika. I really wanted to hate Gaara , but tried as I might I couldn't just hate him. Such a demetic character, why do I sympathise with him.

As for the spoiler rule, I'm pretty much read up to the latest manga translation (Vol25 - I think) and at anime episode 84. I just wondering what the spoiler rules for these type of thread so I don't cross the line. If everyone is up to date, then I guess there doesn't need to be a spoiler rule, but I don't want to spoil for others that are not such as people who are just following the Viz translation. It's up to you guys. I'm ok with whatever.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 1:26 AM

This post contains spoilers for a bunch of the chuunin exam.

Stupid, stupid Orochimaru. Why did his damn plan have to interrupt the finals, which were going to be so good. Naruto vs. Sasuke or Gaara (probably Gaara) and then Temari vs. Kankuro, her brother. Kankuro probably would have beaten Temari. Naruto would have beaten Sasuke, but a fight between Gaara and Naruto (Gaaruto?) would have been just freakin' awesome. I always love it when Naruto goes Nine-Tails.

Though I suppose Naruto did go up against Gaara, but that was a whack fight. For manga readers, did anyone notice that Naruto was Nine-Tails toward the end of the fight, when he and Gaara both had no chakra left, and N was crawling toward G? It wasn't said for sure, but N's pupils were slits, and he was talking about how even if G's life was filled with pain and he could sympathize, if G was trying to kill N's friends, he would have to stop/kill him. Hm. I bet Assuke will be the first to kill somebody. Might actually happen soon.

I know these people all get the crap kicked out of them on a regular basis, but I think it would hurt most to bite your finger hard enough to draw blood for Summoning no jutsu.

NySoul

NySoul

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 2:26 AM

Uzumaki, that is exactly the same as what happened in the anime around episode 79.

The usage of flashback didn't annoyed me as much when with Gaara's background character. Even when he was about to kill the kids for running away after he tried to give the ball, I still pity him. I think that it is great at the end when Gaara said something along the line of "Someday, Uzumaki Naruto, I will" and then said "I'm Sorry." One thing that bothered me was Sasuke - I mean he's supposed to be filled with anger, harted, revenge, but he couldn't delivered on any occasion. I'll prefered if that fight was between Gaara and Sasuke (he probably gets his arse kicked), but having Naruto saving him all the time was annoying. Yeah, he needs to give in to the curse and go all BAD ASS for once.

Daen

Daen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 3:31 AM

Slightly confused. So the anime is at the chuunin exams right? I can't tell which bits are related to the manga or the anime.

Also, when should the spoilers start anime and manga wise?

I never actually noticed that about Naruto. I guess I assumed he was using the kyuubi's chakra since he's done it before (ie Haku etc), but the Gaara/Naruto fight was awesome. It might not have been the actual chuunin match and Gaara may have originally been Sasuke's opponent (which Sasuke didn't do too badly I guess with his newly learned chidori), but the sand demon against Gambunta and Naruto? Too cool. Gambunta has always managed to make me laugh.

I too am becoming absolutely fond of Gaara. At least up to Lee proportions. I have no idea why though.

And especially since Gaara came to the rescue of Lee. I think I've become a Shika/Temari shipper. It's the dazed look Shika gives her after she defeats the flute girl in one jutsu. Must be love. Or he might be feeling faint, but eh. I say it's love.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

Yeah, I was wondering when to use spoilers too? it seems like we're all up to date, though. Well, I'm a little behind. So I don't really have anything to add about the Manga, sorry.

:lol I love the idea of Shikamaru and Temari. His comments towards her are hilarious. He's such a sexist (But not in an annoying Wufie sorta way). He obviously gets it from his dad. Dude'll probably end up wipped like his old man.

I guess I'm the only one that dosen't think Garaa's so tough? All he does is sit their, his sand does all the real work. Not that he isn't cool and all. But hell, give me a jug of magic sand and even I could kick Lee's arse.

It's just that Sasuke tries so hard to be like Itachi but never succeeds because then he actually shows he cares. Especially for a certain ramen eating blond. I guess that was a very big hint as to what shipper I am but you can't blame me though. They met with an accidental kiss! They fight! Sasuke risks his life for Naruto even though he has to live to kill his brother!

I don't mind Sasuke much either and I do get the impression that he isn't much into girls either.

Same here. But I don't think he's gay (well, he could be), rather I think he's Aesexual. Just like all his other shonen counterparts. Hie, Len, Vegita (till they neded more Saiyans, that is). But Naruto on the other hand is deffinetly straight. as evidence of his lusting for Sakura. To bad he's to dumb to notice Hinata has had a crush on him since god knows when. I think she's the only one who didn't fall head-over-heals for Sasuke. Ew, even Temari and Ten-Ten wanted him. *vomits*

I actually didn't even notice Sakura dosen't have a special abbilty. I guess it's cuase she rarely fights and the one time she did it was boring as hell. and here I thought the writers would surprise us and have Sakura and Ino pull a "Shikamaru," and become all bad arse. Speaking of Sakura, where the hell is she? thye seem to have ditched the entire group dynamic altogether and split up all the teams. Not that I care so much for Naruot's group since IMO that boys go more chemistry with Shika, Lee and Hinata then he does with Sasuke and Sakura. To bad they ended up on his team.

Slightly confused. So the anime is at the chuunin exams right? I can't tell which bits are related to the manga or the anime.

The last ep I saw had Hokage fighting two of the original Hokage's some how. and Shika, Naruto and a talking dog were looking for Sasuke. :lol Shika gave the same line he did in the manga about his dream average life. Get paid normally, marry a woman who's neither ugly or beautiful. Have 2 kids, retire, then play Shogi all day and live free of wordly cares. He's sure thought that through.

But that was mounths ago. I think I'll start watching this show again. This threads got me intrested. and besides, it's the only descent ongoing shonen series besides One Pice.

Edited by skyegazer, Jun 1, 2004 @ 10:37 AM.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 7:56 PM

Did Temari ever really want Sasuke like that? I remember her remarking that he was very good-looking, but just as a passing observation.

The anime is now up to episode 85 when Naruto, Jiraiya, and Sasuke have just finished their encounter with Itachi and Kisame. So now the Rasengan training is about to start and then the search for Tsunade.

The anime is definitely catching up to the manga, but there are still a few story arcs to go.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 2:39 AM

I guess it's looking like the spoiler rule is for where ever the anime is? If not...well I hope my holidays come soon so I can catch up!!

If anyone wants to read a very funny fanfic go read The Naruto Primer. It consumed my life for a couple of months. It's 100 chapters (with an 'optional epilogue') but I found it hilarious. Hymorous observations and exagerations of all the Naruto constants. It's more a series of short stories than a whole story, so you don't have to read every chapter, although there are a coupld of arcs. I recommend 2 (for Sasuke haters), 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 19, 21, 23, teacher chapters and arc following, 38, 39, all lil chapters. READ ALL CHAPTERS INVOLVING KIBA. It turned me into a Kiba fan, completely unbased on anything he's done in canon. Also, chapter 82 gives Sakura a special ability I can almost believe. Shikamaru fans will all enjoy.

Actually yeah, the original 3 man (or is the teacher counted as the fourth?) teams aren't really being used at all now. All that time setting them up and barely even using them seems like a bit of a waste. It makes Sakura seem even more useless, and we don't get nearly enough Kakashi.

I agree, Gaara's not that tough. I guess if you can win and not get hit you don't really need many other skills...but still...I like him. He's pretty nuts, but his backstory pretty much explains it all to the point where you pity the poor mixed-up, homicidal kid.

OOOh! Skyegazer, One Piece rocks!!

Daen

Daen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2004 @ 8:50 PM

I assume so. Just yell if the anime's passed over a certain arc or something because I only have access to the manga. XD

Same here. But I don't think he's gay (well, he could be), rather I think he's Aesexual.

I think at this stage they all are. Infatuation and crushes notwithstanding. It's all about the emotions for me. Sasuke tries not to care but little things make it seem like he cares all too much for Naruto. It's very clear when Itachi comes for Naruto and Sasuke runs off in a blind panic after learning about Itachi's arrival and goal. Also, Itachi is strong. Even Kakashi wasn't a match..And Naruto is the same way. He says he hates Sasuke, but it's kinda obvious all he wants is Sasuke's acknowledgement.

I adore Gaara now. Felt sorry for him when we first learn about his past, but now...my fondness knows no bounds. Did the manga artist specifically draw Gaara with longer hair? For some reason, he's looking younger. Also, Gaara's main weapon has always been his 'absolute defense'. But of course I didn't realize this until you guys pointed it out. ::laughs:: So oblivious. You also have to see Gaara's transformation. It makes him more offensive and puts him near equal to the Kyuubi's strength. In fact, Naruto needed help from Gambunta to win.

He's such a sexist (But not in an annoying Wufie sorta way). He obviously gets it from his dad. Dude'll probably end up wipped like his old man.

Not quite sexist. Maybe somewhere between 'girls are yuck and scary' and that. I think it's more that he sees his dad as whipped and can't understand it so he goes to the opposite. Heh. It's even more funny now because Shika actually says that Temari's scary like his mother while looking all too dazed. It's gotta be love.

NySoul

NySoul

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2004 @ 11:56 PM

Regarding Gaara, I have trouble deciding if his mother love him or not. I know in the anime when he is fighting Sasuke/Naruto and have that flashback in which we learn about his mother's little sister. When she dies, she says that his mother did not love him and die cussing his existence, yet at a ealier flashback, she states that his mother die loving him.

I'm wondering which statement is the truth.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 1:47 AM

I think Gaara's mother actually died cursing the village that made her have a kid they were going to use as a vessel for a demon. However, I think she saw Gaara as a tool to get her revenge from beyond the grave, so that's why her will makes the sand protect him.

I feel all bad for him now. I wonder how they got him to stay awake as a small child. He couldn't have been hit or anything, and a child doesn't have the will to keep himself up, and it's not like the sand demon would've helped him out in that area. He's the sort of person you can't help but want to hug very tightly, but refrain because he'd kill you. At this point, affection wouldn't help anyway. *si~~gh*

On a less melancholy note, Gaara's always struck me as looking especially young. I think he's one of the cuter characters and I don't know why. Maybe the constant dirty look combined with his cheeks which look chubbier than some of the other characters. I don't know how I can tell in 2 dimensions.

When he appeared to help Lee, I noticed something different about him, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I compared with earlier issues and it turns out he's wearing a long sleeved turtleneck. His hair seems shorter to me, because Kishimoto isn't drawing it with as much detail. It's just solid now like Naruto's, whereas some strands were separated and coming from other parts of his head. I like the old style better.

I wish I could draw better and faster because I got a couple of good ideas for Gaara-centric short comics.
edit: manga 218 is out. Kick his butt, Naruto. Him and his freaky eye.

Edited by Uzumaki, Jun 6, 2004 @ 4:34 PM.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 4:42 AM

Nearly there...if only my bittorrents would dl faster!

Re: Gaara and whether or not his mother loved him. I think the important thing is that he believes she doesn't because of what Yashamaru told him. Basically, the only living person who expressed any affection to him hates and tries to kill him, the only other person he was told loves him only wanted to keep him alive as a sort of revenge thing. Not to mention the fact that he tried to reach out to people twice and literally got the door slammed in his face. *sniffle* So...I guess it's one of those things we'll never know, because if you think about, Yashamaru wouldn't really know, he'd assume.

On a lighter note, the flashbacks when Naruto is thinking of how he used to be similar to Gaara, and how Iruka and Team 7 changed him are really nice. I love the bit where Kakashi is trying to give Naruto vegetables and he's like if Naruto doesn't eat them he's "seriously going to die." But then that's coz I think Kakashi rocks.

Yashamaru is actually Garra's mother's brother right? (there's a better way of saying that...Gaara's 'uncle' sounds wierd) When I read the manga I thought he was a she, but in the anime its pretty apparent he's a guy.

Also, Temari is Gaara's sister, but all I've pretty much seen of her interactions with Gaara is that she's afraid of him. Was she that absent from the rest of his life? Because it seems that besides the fact that she's in his team he barely seems to acknowledge her.

anna_w

anna_w

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 10:26 AM

and we don't get nearly enough Kakashi.

That's probably because he's busy chasing after Iruka now *ducks from bricks*

On a lighter note, the flashbacks when Naruto is thinking of how he used to be similar to Gaara, and how Iruka and Team 7 changed him are really nice.

I actually really admired Iruka. Without him, who knows what would have happened to Naruto that night. He could have become really bitter and become a dangerous creature as opposed to an ally that his friends can rely on. Does anyone here knows enough Japanese character to be able to tell if the word that makes up 'Iruka' is similar to the character that is used for 'Dolphin'? If it is, what an interesting comparison. Anyway, I think it's a shame that Iruka is not featured as often in the anime/manga.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

lol I was thinkinh the same thing when I saw volume 218. But before that volume I was thinking how bad arse Naruto looked in This pic. and how hot Kiba's mom is.

Poor Lee, though. Imagine getting you're arse kicked then being saved buy the guy who kicked it the first time. Poor bastard. Gaara keeps getting stronger and Lee keeps getting weaker. I know for a suporting character he was ridiculously strong, so they had to make him weaker so Naruto and Sasuke could surpass him (wich is bound to happen since they're the stars). But, it still sucks. Does anyone else think non Drunk-fighting Lee could've mopped the floor with Neji in seconds? I bet that's why he never fought against him in the tournament. For all their talk about how much of a Genius Neji is. I don't see any logical way his fighting style would have any effect on Lee or Gaara and Sasuke, for that matter. But, I guess know with the way he fights he and lee are on equal terms. Wich, since they're rivals, makes alot more sense.

Yashamaru is actually Garra's mother's brother right? (there's a better way of saying that...Gaara's 'uncle' sounds wierd) When I read the manga I thought he was a she, but in the anime its pretty apparent he's a guy.

Who? is that the dude with the freaky cheak bones? cause I thought that guy was a girl at first.

Heh, Gaara's brother actually seems more scared of him then his sister. But I guess that's cause the lil eyebrowless freak threatend to kill him.

Edited by skyegazer, Jun 7, 2004 @ 11:44 AM.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 2:14 PM

I, too (and I think most people), thought Yashamaru was a woman until somebody told me he wasn't. Can't convey gender in English and all that.

Temari was in a tiny flashback picture of Gaara's past, but that was it. So she was present, but interaction with her brother was probably discouraged since Kazekage was such a dirtbag.

Yeah, Iruka is 'dolphin.' His last name, Umino, means 'ocean.' And I wish we would see more of Iruka, too. Give the guy a break from hanging out with all of those Academy brats.

I like pics like that where N has his hair down. But the caption says that that's Kiba's sister. Naruto with barettes in his hair!? Sasuke is dressed like Shino?! Sakura is still a flat-chested girl! See it here!

Freaky cheekbones? Orochimaru. Bad guy.

Lee could have beaten Neji. Neji is a difficult opponent, though, since Lee was saving up his Extreme Lotus to use it against him. Close combat is when Neji is most dangerous for all of his chakra blocking attacks. Maybe Lee will be back in the running again when the next chuunin exam starts.

Bojenmi

Bojenmi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 4:54 AM

Sakura's what? Twelve? Give her a break.

Yashamaru was the person who looked after Gaara and explained to him all the stuff about love. (I read that back and I was thinking it sounded like he was giving Gaara "the talk." That's so very wrong)

And yeah, I really admire Iruka too. I guess it's because we don't see enough of him that I'm more into Kakashi. I don't really get what Iruka's name means in relation to his character though...Dolphin? Ocean?

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 12:28 PM

Oh yeah, Iruka. I suck at remembering Japanese names (The only ones I remeber are Gai, Kakashi and the students) so I had no idea who you guys were talking aboout, at first. Yeah, he's nice guy. Always buying Naruto Ramen. I felt bad for him in the first ep, when that guy tried to turn Naruto against him.

Oh yeah, that is his sis. I didn't read that part. I'm curious to see what sort of relationship she'll have with him? That can't be Sasuke. He looks cool :p J/K but it dosen't really look like him at all. The eyes are all wrong.

Also, in the latest issue Naruto says Hokage the 3rd died? is that the old guy in that hat? when did that happen? Speaking of Hokage's. Ive heard people say that Hokage the 4th: king of all Bishonen's was Naruto's dad. Someone even said he was Naruto. Wich is it? They do sorta look alike.

Speaking of look-a-likes. Any of you guys read a manga called Santa? No, it's not about Chris Cringle. But about a boy with a demon in his stomach who wants to be the most powerful demon ever and have other recoganize his greatness. lol Yeah, it sounds familiar. He even looks like Naruot IMO. Later on in chapter 4, he also gets a sidekick. an arrogant little boy who loves to brood and also loks somewhat like Sasuke. Anyway, the story itself is really more like Inuyasha than Naruto. You know, group of friends traveling and fighting demons. But I just found it intresting how much the 2 leads resembled Naruto and Sasuke.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

Yeah, the 3rd died at the end of the Chuunin exam, by Orochimaru's hand. The 3rd rendered O's arms totally useless, though, so he's been out of action for a while.

THe 4th being Naruto's dad is just speculation, fueled by Jiraiya's remark that Naruto reminded him of him (the 4th). The 4th was Jiraiya's student.

Those characters look exactly like N and S. Even that girl would look like Sakura if she took her pigtails out. I guess there are only so many original character designs out there.

I'm concerned about Neji and Chouji. I think they may actually be dead. The former is an asshole, but he should just get beaten up, not killed. The latter is just really sweet. (Did that just give who it is away? I'm trying to not have huge chunks of spoiler space... I don't know if it's working.)The end of 217 says "after the deaths of many people" and I don't think it was just talking about the evil dudes.

I can see Naruto getting trounced by Orochi-Sasuke, then learning of the demises, and continuing his pursuit. Shikamaru would want to continue on, anyway, since they're still on a mission. Plus they have the sand genin and Lee (Lee!) to help them out now. A much more formidable force than what they started out with. I want to see what Shikamaru would do tactically with those guys.

anna_w

anna_w

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 3:08 AM

And yeah, I really admire Iruka too. I guess it's because we don't see enough of him that I'm more into Kakashi. I don't really get what Iruka's name means in relation to his character though...Dolphin? Ocean?

Ah, Umino Iruka = Sea Dolphin, which sometimes is known as some of the friendliest creature in the sea. I just thought that Iruka's personality is kind of a match that of the flippery creature. And IIRC, his face has that dolphin-like streak across his nose.

Edited by anna_w, Jun 9, 2004 @ 3:09 AM.

shinonezumi

shinonezumi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 7:33 PM

naruto is the underdog(/fox) and we love him for it. sasuke is the one everyone says is the best, so we hate him from the get go. well you know, AFTER naruto kisses him, because we don't hate him right then after meeting itachi, however, we see him getting totally dismissed, so we feel for him same with lee-who-ROCKs, because all this shyte happens to him, and he's working so hard, and he's not bishounen, so we sympathise even more. although he has a somewhat...off relationship with gai, its all very down to earth and aww! :heart:
aye, it was impossible for a few chapters during the chuunin selection exam, because the sheer number of characters/teams introduced in a brief period of time. it took until about the prelim's to get it all straight. it kicks ass that shikamaru was chosen, as it was obvious, but bug-boy didn't even have a chance. not fair.
as i have a tendancy to choose my ships in relation to my other ships, this was a bit dificult. the kakashi and iruka bits were cute, and my fave, and everyone must be secretly rooting for lee to get sakura. however, hinata could go with naruto or kiba (because akimaru is the baddest).
ah, yes. i finally figured out the master apprentice line, and i need to vent(takes out pointer) ahem:
jounin tema leader>genin squad
3rd hokage>the great 3:orochimaru(anaconda), tsunade(slug, 5th hokage), jiraiya(toad, pervy sennin"_")
jiraiya>4th hokage(who may or may not be naruto's father)
4th hokage>kakashi(as seen in a picturein kakashi's room, next to a picture of team7)
kakashi(hentai sensei, copy nin)>sasuke(blah), naruto(kyubi in his tummy), sakura(intellectual, obligatory female that every group needs)

:steps down from soap box:

alphabet

alphabet

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 10:16 AM

I am pretty out of it with this, but what is the site where you can find the translated manga? I'd love to find it.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 12:31 PM

Toward the bottom of this page you will find it. You'll need BitTorrent to download it. The latest chapters are released here, and they're just regular .zip files.

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 11:47 PM

219 is out. Next chapter looks like it's going to be a good one. Pre-slaughtered Uchiha clan flashback. More stuff about Itachi. He has kinda weird looking eyes, but maybe it's just the quality of the picture. I don't think he has the Sharingan going, since it looks like he's just having fun with his little brother. But maybe he was thinking about killing him at the time the picture was taken.