Best.Episode.Ever./Worst.Episode.Ever.

• Please log in to reply

858 replies to this topic

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

I'll think more about my 'most are meh, but I adore it...' list as well, but as much as I dislike S6, I have to admit to a surprisingly strong fondness for I Get A Sidekick Out of You, and I'm also about a million times more fond of Come Home, Women of Questionable Morals, Say Goodnight Gracie and Lorelai Out of Water than any other GG fan I've ever encountered. :)

I love the two I bolded. Especially Sidekick. Many reasons for that - Mrs. Kim's acceptance of her daughter, as shown in her quiet, understated way. Chris (who I enjoy more than many fans I think) and his constant texting. I don't particularly like the parts about Mrs. Kim's mother (she travels all that way and only stays for less than a day?) or Lorelei's drunken speech, but the rest for sure.

Also, I know it's very unpopular, but one that's improved for me with rewatches is "Live and Let Live Diorama." When I first saw it, I HATED it. Now, I look forward to it when rewatching Season 5. I still think they went way over the top with the diorama and with a lot of the Luke/Taylor stuff, but drunk Rory, Paris, and Lane! Priceless. Paris giving Rory her shoes and then demanding quarters from passerbys? Lane's drunk confrontation of Sophie? Kirk crashing with the girls and acting like a toddler? I seriously laugh through so much of this episode.

I really thought my WITS love was unpopular. Maybe it was just from hearing you talk about how overrated you think it is. Sometimes just one or two people making strong points on why they don't like an episode is enough to stick with me and make me think my opinion is the unpopular one.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I can't believe I neglected to mention Oasis on my list of funniest episodes...not to mention a 'guilty pleasure' episode. I must be slipping. ;)

Chris (who I enjoy more than many fans I think) and his constant texting.

I find this far more amusing and endearing than I should! Actually, your comment reminded me of another episode question I've been eager to ask, though it may be challenging: what are your favorite/least favorite episodes for some of the supporting (i.e. not Lorelai, Rory, Luke or Emily!) characters? In which episodes do you most and least like Sookie, Dean, Jess, Christopher, Paris, Lane, etc.?

Dean is easy for me: I like him (or at least sympathize and relate to him) most in Let the Games Begin, mildly like him in the Pilot, and range from meh to "UGH!" on him in pretty much every other episode in which he appears!

I have a special adoration for Christopher in Presenting Lorelai Gilmore, I Can't Get Started, Woman of Questionable Morals, I get A Sidekick Out of You, 'S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous, Knit People Knit (I know...I know!) and Farewell, My Pet. I really loathe him in Wedding Bell Blues, though to be fair, I loathe most of our characters for at least part of Wedding Bell Blues!

Paris nearly always brightens any episode in which she appears for me, but she does drive me batty as well, for reasons that are obvious to anyone who's watched this nut for more than a few seconds. ;) I have a special soft spot for her in Concertus Interruptus, The Third Lorelai, There's the Rub, Lazy Hazy Crazy, The Big One, The Hobbit, The Sofa..., Written in the Stars, We've Got Magic to Do, Unto the Breach...did I mention that Paris is one of my very favorite characters?! My anger for her outweighs my affection in episodes like The Lorelais First Day at Chilton, Deer Hunters, Nick and Nora, That'll Do Pig, A Family Matter, and a handful of S5-S7 episodes as well.

I'll ramble more later on favorite Jess, Lane and Sookie episodes, but hopefully others will chime in!

Edited by MsTaken, Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:33 AM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Well, Sookie can be summed up in favorite episodes? Seasons 1-3. Least favorite episodes? Seasons 4-6.

I suppose that's cheating.

But my favorite Sookie episodes are probably Double Date, My Lazy Hazy Days (I just love her and Jackson interacting over the gender of the baby.... it's just cute to me.), Red Light on the Wedding Night, Road Trip to Harvard, and really anything where she is just being a great supportive friend.

Dislike her intensely in Blame Booze and Melville (HATE! How would you like it if Jackson told you without discussion that you were having elective surgery?), Incredible Sinking Lorelei's (I HAVE A BABY!!!!!! You can't expect me to be a responsible adult!!!), Norman Mailer I'm Pregnant!, But I'm a Gilmore! (Luke was doing you a favor, crazy loon.), and I'm sure there are more. Oh, and as mentioned before, Tale of Poes and Fire. Not as much in this one, because I know she was under crazy stress and probably exhausted, but telling her staff to throw out Luke's food before Luke even knew what was happening was ridiculous.

Edited by deaja, Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:16 PM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

deeja, I'm pretty sure my own list of Sookie favorites and least favorites would be redundant now, as you just covered them all!

Incredible Sinking Lorelei's (I'm HAVE A BABY!!!!!! You can't expect me to be a responsible adult!!!),

I seriously wanted to throttle her in this episode.

Norman Mailer I'm Pregnant!

...and in this one. I really hate the whole 'pregnant women are perpetually hysterical and irrational!' trope, and Sookie inadvertently reenforced that for a solid 35% of the series!

my favorite Sookie episodes are probably Double Date, My Lazy Hazy Days (I just love her and Jackson interacting over the gender of the baby.... it's just cute to me.), Red Light on the Wedding Night, Road Trip to Harvard, and really anything where she is just being a great supportive friend.

I really adore her in all of these as well. I also love her to ridiculous degrees in The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton, Lorelais' Graduation Day, I Can't Get Started and Those Are Strings, Pinocchio (though that's almost cheating since I adore everyone in TAS,P so very much!) But generally speaking...

Well, Sookie can be summed up in favorite episodes? Seasons 1-3. Least favorite episodes? Seasons 4-6.

...this sums it up quite nicely for me as well! Most view S5 as the season when Sookie (and many other townies and supporting characters) became more shrill and less lovable, but I'm always unhappily surprised to find that it's actually in S4 that Sookie starts to grate on me more than she charms me. That's not to say she didn't have her good moments in S4-S6, of course, but overall she was more annoying entitled and less "wish I had HER as a best friend!"-ish to me. I did find myself liking her again in much of S7, though---I think DR generally did a nice job making the townies warmer and less blood-boiling annoying than AS-P did in S5-S6!

Edited by MsTaken, Jul 24, 2012 @ 1:25 PM.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Anyone up for more fun with episode superlatives? (Yes, I have a strange definition of fun!) What are your picks for the five or so funniest episodes of the series? The five most poignant, my-that's-a-large-lump-in-my-throat episodes? The five most romantic? The five 'guilty pleasure' episodes you objectively know aren't that great but to which you're deeply attached and rewatch over and over?

And, on the less gushy and more unabashedly snarky side, what are the five-(ish!) generally adored episodes that you remain stubbornly meh on? And how about your five very least favorites of the series?

While I take the time to write the not-so-great American novel in answer to these questions, I'd like to post one of my own.

What are your favorite and least favorite episodes for the top three characters in the show (Lorelai, Rory, and Luke), and why?

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

Rory:
Favorites:
1) Those are Strings, Pinocchio - I pink puffy heart this episode so much. I love caring Rory who puts others' feelings first so much more than later seasons Rory.
2) Presenting Lorelei Gilmore - I love this episode. I love that Rory, who isn't into it at all, gets into it for her grandma's sake while still maintaining who she is.
3) Emily in Wonderland - Did it go well? No. But she had such good intentions and really tried to show her grandma a good time.

Least Favorite:
1) Blame the Booze and Melville - I hate this one so much. "Someone thinks I'm not the most amazing person ever? Why, I must go commit a felony!"
2) Bridesmaid Revisited - I hate almost everything about this episode.
3) And the wretched Season 6 episode (I don't remember which since I haven't watched them as many times) where she throws her grandparents generosity in their face when she gets tired of their rules - well, don't expect them to support you in lavish style while you (GASP! HORRORS!!!!) have to do 300 hours of community service over 6 months. I mean, that's 12 whole hours a week! Oh wait - it was Let the Bailakakas Ring Out, I think.

Lorelei:
Favorites:
1) Forgiveness and Stuff - I think LG hit the notes just right in this one. Not too over the top, not too funny, just right. Lorelei's mixed emotions over everything from being excluded from the Christmas party to her father's health is just right, to me.
2) Dead Uncles and Vegetables - Lorelei is at her best when she is caring for others, imo. Whether that's her parents or friends.
3) They Shoot Gilmores - A lot of reasons, it just sticks out to me.

Least:
1) A House is Not a Home - her unbelief that Rory could actually have done something wrong is way over the top, as is her putting Rory's mugshot on the fridge like the whole thing is a hilarious joke.
2) Say Goodnight, Gracie - For someone who supposedly loved Fran Weston, her and Sookie's funeral behavior is APPALLING!
3) Road Trip to Harvard - Spoiled, entitled, obnoxious, superior, etc. I can't think of enough negative adjectives to describe the girls' behavior in this one. But most of it fall on Lorelei.
I have to add a number 4.
4) The Lorelei's First Day at Yale - her treatment of Luke is just so disgusting to me in this one. Her inability to try to push Rory towards any independence by even GOING TO GET HER CAR instead of inconveniencing Luke is just terrible to me.

Luke
1) Last Week's Fights, This Weeks' Tights - I'm a total sucker for this episode.
2) One's Got Class and the Other Dyes - Butch Danes, Lorelei's speech gone awry and his mockery, just so fun to me.
3) Written in the Stars - I thought their date was so romantic.

Worst:
1) A Vineyard Valentine - no surprise there
2) Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doing the Twist - I hate that jealous, rageful men = romantic! So many tv shows and movies, but really, it probably equals dangerous.
3) That's What You Get for Making Whoopee - again, jealous rage does not equal a swooning deaja. Lorelei, a grown woman, made the choice to sleep with Chris. Driving 40 minutes to punch the guy undefended when he opens his door makes you a jerk, Luke. Chris may have not done right by Lorelei given her fragile state (and even that's debatable), but he did absolutely nothing wrong TO YOU. And a sucker punch does not make you a man.
I've got to add a fourth here to
4) We've Got Us a Pippi Virgin - Rory is not some special beautiful delicate flower who only deserves a prince.

BradyB66

BradyB66

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

What are your picks for the five or so funniest episodes of the series?

1. Cinnamonís Wake - maybe because it was my first episode, but I think this one hits a lot of great notes: the teaser is probably my all time favorite, I love the ďgot it coveredĒ scene, I love Michel pretending he doesnít know how to speak French, I think the scene with Sookie behind the counter at Lukeís is great, I love the little exchange between Lane and Rory regarding Cinnamonís death, I love Miss Pattyís line ďI promise I won't tell a single soul that you don't know that young man.Ē.
2. Dead Uncles and Vegetables - if only for Emilyís wedding plans for Sookie.
3. A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving - Drunk Sookie never fails to make me giggle.
4. Nick and Nora, Sid and Nancy - I hate Lukeís heartless remark to Lorelai about her decision-making skills, but I love Sookie cooking for Jess, Lukeís rant to Jess about Pierpont and quitting smoking, Luke shoving Jess in the lake, Lorelai accosting that poor kid to get her a danishÖ
5. I get a Sidekick Out of You - right up until the toast, I find this episode amazingly amusing for Season Five.

The five most poignant, my-that's-a-large-lump-in-my-throat episodes?

1. Forgiveness and Stuff - that wordless look between Lorelai and Richard - gulp!
2. Those are Strings, Pinocchio - I know that, from what we heard, it was not a traditional valedictory address, but Iím bawling, youíre all freaks!
3. Say Something - I really feel Lorelaiís desparation over the breakup.
4. Farewell, my Pet - the look on Lorelaiís face at the chow funeral, and her speech to Christopher - sniff!
5. Bon Voyage - I know Iím being shamelessly manipulated, but I donít care, I start crying from the second Jackson and Zach run out to the jeep in the rain.

The five most romantic?

Iím not a huge fan of the way romantic relationships are depicted on this show. I just donít think ASP had much talent for writing believable romance, so my top five may be surprising.
1. Let the Games Begin - I think Emily and Richard reminiscing about their courtship is very romantic.
2. Red Light on a Wedding Night - see #1.
3. Written in the Stars - not for anything Luke/Lorelai related as I think that was one of the most sparkless dates imaginable. Paris smoking Asherís pipe while mourning him was, to me, the true romance of this episode.
4. The Big One - Sookie and Jacksonís scene when he finally tells her heís happy about the baby is so endearing and romantic.
5. Say Goodnight Gracie - I love Dave and Laneís awkward, desperate plea to Mrs. Kim to accept their relationship.

The five 'guilty pleasure' episodes you objectively know aren't that great but to which you're deeply attached and rewatch over and over?

1. The Festival of Living Pictures - I want to find a town that does this and move there.
2. The Big One - I love this episode - especially the Sookie/Jackson scenes.
3. The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles - I find Sookieís tirade entertaining in this one.
4. Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doing the Twist - I know itís bad, I know itís poorly written, I know the buzz about Paris and Rory kissing is laughable, I canít help liking this episode!
5. Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore - I love the townies in this one. I even like Zach!

And, on the less gushy and more unabashedly snarky side, what are the five-(ish!) generally adored episodes that you remain stubbornly meh on?

1. Double Date - I just donít see anything but horrendously clashing clothes. (See Sookie on the date and Lorelai at Kimís antiques.)
2. The Road Trip to Harvard - I find the girls rude and obnoxious in this one.
3. Lorelaiís Graduation Day - I just donít find it particularly moving and I find Roryís speech at the end to be way too much. I wonít even mention Seth MacFarlane - HATE!
4. Dear Emily and Richard - I donít know why I donít love it, I just donít.
5. Itís Just Like Riding a Bike - I know a lot of people hail this as the return of Luke and Lorelai, I just hail it as the return of their endlessly combative relationship which is somehow supposed to signify true love? When you compare it with the rational way Jackson and Sookie work through their problems in this episode, I find it even sadder.

And how about your five very least favorites of the series?

1. Lorelaiís First Cottilion - I hate so much about this episode. I think the way Emily treats Charlotte is appalling, I think the way Lorelai treats Michel over the corsage is equally appalling. I think if this had been my first episode, it would have been my last because I actively dislike Lorelai in it.
2. A Vineyard Valentine - for everything weíve all said so many times.
3. Merry Fisticuffs - From that ridiculous fight between Christopher and Luke to the whole revelation of the Marty secret, just a bad episode.
4. Blame Booze and Melville - Lorelai comes across as an idiot who thinks the desire for an apple must mean sheís pregnant , the whole scene with Luke and Kirk in the sauna with the town elders is therapy-inducing disturbing, they assassinated my beloved Sookie and Jackson, and then thereís a little plot about Rory and some criticism and a boatÖ
5. How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod - Bad, bad, bad episode - Roryís an idiot, Loganís a jerk, Lorelaiís transparent, Emilyís a shrew, Richardís a suckup, need I go on?

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Rory:

Favorites: Gah, this is so hard, because I loved her in so very, very many episodes. I really adore her in those beginning S1 episodes: she's so sharp and quietly determined and strong.
I know many dislike Road Trip to Harvard, but I adore Rory here----her unabashed geekiness over being at Harvard, her willingness to take a road trip purely because she knows her mother needs to get away, and and her acceptance of Lorelai's decision about Max.
I love her in Like Mother, Like Daughter---reluctantly helping out Paris (who'd been mostly awful towards her), and merrily showing us introverts that it's okay to read, listen to music and do what you're interested in rather than pursue popularity!
I love her in Let the Games Begin--her cuteness with Jess and realizing she has to apologize to Dean before moving forward.
I adore her in the Big One---she's so supportive of the ever-nutty Paris here.
She's not overly admirable in the Lorelais' First Day at Yale (I know some think she's a pitiful wimp here, in fact!), but I found her so sympathetic and relatable. And I love her in Hobbit, Sofa etc---I get her 'should I read or force myself to socialize?!' quandry all too well, and her scenes with the wondermint twins were hilarious.
And, yeah, every single episode deaja mentioned as well---especially TASP; I, too, love the quietly assertive, mature Rory who made her own arrangements with her grandparents AND who left an "I loved you, but I'm moving on now" message for Jess.

Least favorites: So, er, is it cheating to just say every single episode between So, Good Talk and, I guess, The Long Morrow?! (Though even in S7, she never feels quite like Original Recipe Rory to me---more like a pleasant but faded, duller version of the Rory who was among my favorite fictional characters of all time throughout most of S1-S4)

Luke

Favorites: Love and War and Snow---so the 'gruff guy with a heart of gold' thing has been done many, many times, but here it's just done so darn well! I love getting a sense of what Luke's dad was like. His prom dresses rant is classic, his giving the coffee/cocoa to the reenactors is touching, and it's gratifying to see him politically/socially aware when in later seasons he often comes across like his only remote interest in life is Lorelai.

Red Light on a Wedding Night: his being even more of a killjoy than usual irritates me at first, but it's understandable, and he redeems himself with the most awesome gift ever: the Chuppah! I love what it symbolized: that even though Lorelai's making a choice that hurts him, he'll still care about and support her.

Dead Uncles and Vegetables: He's self-reflective and emotional without being too uncharacteristically mushy, and I love his realizations about the kind of man he does and doesn't want to be.

Women of Questionable Morals: the Chuppah might be the best gift ever, but the ice rink comes in a close second!

Least Favorites:

Wedding Bell Blues---we've already rehashed why, but I find his behavior here embarrassingly childish and temperamental at best, and bordering on the inexcusable at worst. I get that you refuse to listen to a single syllable she utters, Luke, but at least make sure she has a ride home before storming off like a toddler!

Girls in Bikinis, That's What You Get Folks and Merry Fisticuffs for reasons that deaja very nicely explained. Uncontrolled rage and jealousy are not sexy, romantic or amusing, and Luke too often seems like a candidate for anger management to me. (To be fair, this is a common trait among GG's males, but it was particularly pronounced in Luke and Dean, at least IMO.)

Nick and Nora: his comment to Lorelai is just utterly out of line IMO, and the fact that he never apologizes for it makes it even worse.

Nearly all of S6, with AVV taking the dubious distinction of Worst Episode Ever for his character---and worst episode of the series! Even beyond AVV, though, the April stuff just...well, suffice it to say it did not do his character any favors IMO!

I'll do Lorelai's later, or at least try to!

3. Written in the Stars - not for anything Luke/Lorelai related as I think that was one of the most sparkless dates imaginable. Paris smoking Asher’s pipe while mourning him was, to me, the true romance of this episode.
4. The Big One - Sookie and Jackson’s scene when he finally tells her he’s happy about the baby is so endearing and romantic.

Excellent points, and ITA!

5. It’s Just Like Riding a Bike - I know a lot of people hail this as the return of Luke and Lorelai, I just hail it as the return of their endlessly combative relationship which is somehow supposed to signify true love? When you compare it with the rational way Jackson and Sookie work through their problems in this episode, I find it even sadder.

Yup. This episode has me reaching for the Excedrin. I really hate that "they act like they hate each other and fight every seven seconds, so it MUST be love!" rom-com trope, which explains a lot about why I'm so meh on L/L as anything more than friends. Like you, though, I really do like Will You be My Lorelai Gilmore a lot.

Edited by MsTaken, Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:23 PM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Favorites: Gah, this is so hard, because I loved her in so very, very many episodes. I really adore her in those beginning S1 episodes: she's so sharp and quietly determined and strong.
I know many dislike Road Trip to Harvard, but I adore Rory here----her unabashed geekiness over being at Harvard, her willingness to take a road trip purely because she knows her mother needs to get away, and and her acceptance of Lorelai's decision about Max.
I love her in Like Mother, Like Daughter---reluctantly helping out Paris (who'd been mostly awful towards her), and merrily showing us introverts that it's okay to read, listen to music and do what you're interested in rather than pursue popularity!
I love her in Let the Games Begin--her cuteness with Jess and realizing she has to apologize to Dean before moving forward.
I adore her in the Big One---she's so supportive of the ever-nutty Paris here.
She's not overly admirable in the Lorelais' First Day at Yale (I know some think she's a pitiful wimp here, in fact!), but I found her so sympathetic and relatable. And I love her in Hobbit, Sofa etc---I get her 'should I read or force myself to socialize?!' quandry all too well, and her scenes with the wondermint twins were hilarious.

Can we pretend I said all this? I relate so much to early years Rory - I was always fairly introverted, quiet, a major reader, etc. and I loved how true to herself she was. Up until she.... wasn't. Rule-follower Rory was also something I really related to, such as in A Tisket, A Tasket. I thought she was absolutely in the right to eat lunch with Jess there, which I know others on the board disagree with. It's the whole point of the basket auction; it's not like she was having sex with him. Just lunch.

I miss early years Rory. I foresee a Seasons 1-2 marathon in my near future.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Here's my list for the secondary characters. I will have to think on the other questions.

Emily. It took me ages to warm up to her. I really disliked her in S1, so those episodes are my least favourite for her. In later years, I think Ballrooms and Biscotti shows how manipulative she can be in Rory and Lorelai's relationship. Most favourite is probably the Emily unhinged episode of The Reigning Lorelai. I also enjoy her in acting juvenile and crawling out the window in the episode I forgot the name of.
Obviously, I have a soft spot for juvenile behaviour. ;)

I always love Chris so its hard to pick a favourite. I'll just go with Christopher Returns because I liked him immediately. Hot, irresponsible guy on a motorbike? Check. I'm in. Adding my approval of Sidekick. Not only for the family moments between him and the girls but also because I adore the Kim family moments. Great episode. My least favourite Chris episode is It Should've Been Lorelai. I can see both their sides in the quarrelsome diner scene. But his passive aggressive flirting with Sherri whilst looking at Lorelai was a bit off-putting.

Richard is another character I always love. I loved him since the pilot and I still do. My favourite has to be Kill Me Now. I adore his relationship with Rory and his complicated relationship with his daughter. Least favourite? Nothing comes to mind. He can be manipulative as well though he always seems to be doing it to protect his family.

Sookie. Love her. I used to get annoyed at her meddling but she has a big heart and always means well. I love her in Kill Me Now. Her friendship with Lorelai feels real and her beginning attraction to Jackson is hilarious, plus the obsession with the strawberries. Least favourite is her poor business sense in The Incredible Sinking Lorelais. I adore her but her behaviour in that episode made me roll my eyes.

(I HAVE A BABY!!!!!! You can't expect me to be a responsible adult!!!),

Yes, exactly. The maddening thing is I have known women who act that way with a new baby. That scene between Sookie and Lorelai is so annoying because it feels so realistic.

I miss early years Rory.

Oh, me too. I am nothing like her but I loved her sweet, nerdy self.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I also enjoy her in acting juvenile and crawling out the window in the episode I forgot the name of.

Ms Bishop showed off her great gams while crawling out the basement window in Say Goodbye to Daisy Miller.

While I share the general dislike for A Vineyard Valentine, I was always far more troubled by Luke's behaviour in The Prodigal Daughter Returns. His jealous anger and sullen refusal to listen to Lorelai - over the course of some hours - simply because Christopher left a phone message made me doubt the long-term viability of their relationship. Indeed, I wished that when Lorelai went to his apartment that evening, she was going to return his ring, rather than bring him a plate of food.

That episode was also one in which I genuinely felt badly for Emily (who, like Luke, seemed to be a candidate for an intensive course in anger management). Emily had done nothing but spend the past several months making her adored granddaughter's existence as easy and pleasant as possible. For her efforts, she was treated as a antiquated and meddlesome scold and dismissed from Rory's life without a word of thanks.

For me then it was a unique and seminal episode, if not fitting either a best/worst designation. Changing my opinion of one of my all-time favourite television romances and making me feel sorry for the insufferable Emily.

Anyway, this is just a brief interjection. I didn't intend to interrupt the thoughtful lists about the principal and lesser characters.

Edited by dustylil, Jul 25, 2012 @ 3:26 PM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Thanks dustylil. I knew it was one of the episodes that had to do with the Rory/Dean hook-up, I have a hard time remembering episode titles.

I enjoyed the Richard/Emily separation arc simply for seeing a different side to Emily.

I was always far more troubled by Luke's behaviour in The Prodigal Daughter Returns.

That was troubling as was Lorelai's doormat behaviour. I wonder how she would have reacted to that situation if Rory wasn't living with the grandparents. I think the rift between the girls was a blow to Lorelai's self confidence and that led to her insecurity with Luke in S6.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

That was troubling as was Lorelai's doormat behaviour. I wonder how she would have reacted to that situation if Rory wasn't living with the grandparents. I think the rift between the girls was a blow to Lorelai's self confidence and that led to her insecurity with Luke in S6.

I am sure it did affect Lorelai's self-confidence. However, she continued to be a doormat with Luke even after the end of The Great Schism and Rory was back at Yale. But then Lorelai was often quite submissive and lacking in self confidence (perhaps even self-respect) with the significant people in her life - her parents, Christopher, Rory (after she left Chilton), and Sookie (once they went into business together).

I had hoped that inasmuch as Luke and Lorelai had begun as mutually respectful friends this tendency would not be part of their relationship. Alas it was not to be.

However, this is getting quite off topic and any further discussion should be in another thread.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

Here's a tough one: If the GG Gods decreed that you had to select a total of 5-10 episodes from the widely beloved S1-S4 to never watch again, which 5-10 would you reluctantly select?!

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:47 AM

I don't think it's that challenging, personally. :)

1) It Should Have Been Lorelei
2) Keg! Max!
3) Lorelei Out of Water
4) Road Trip to Harvard
5) Here Comes the Son
6) Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doing the Twist
7) That'll Do Pig
8) Richard in Stars Hollow

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Heh---sorry I couldn't provide more of a challenge, deeja...I'll work on that. ;)

Lorelei Out of Water
Road Trip to Harvard
Richard in Stars Hollow

I love these three, but our lists do overlap a bit!

In chronological order:

1. Kiss and Tell: I know many love it, but aside from the last scene, it's a huge miss for me, and that quasi-tough "don't hurt her...or else!" scene between Dean and Lorelai is one of the most cringe-inducing of the whole series for me: terribly acted and written, IMO.

2. That Damn Donna Reed: I dislike the Rory/Dean subplot a lot, and...*ducks from L/L shippers*... I think the lost chick stuff is sort of dumb and, like a lot of S1, overdone.

3. Christopher Returns: I like Christopher far more than most, but this episode was really clunky, melodramatic and off IMO

4. P.S. I Lo... Gah. Don't even get me started. I hate almost everything about this one, and while I know some here dislike Lorelai, I think the idea of warm, affectionate, expressive Lorelai being somehow to blame for Rory's unwillingness to say "I love you" is absurd. Why is it implied that Rory not being at the "I love you" stage after dating that dullard for a mere three months is indicative of some pathology?!

5. Love, Daisies and Troubadours: I hate Dean, I hate Max, and I couldn't care less about either Gilmore's ill-fated on and off relationships with them. While many (including me!) complain that the series became too focused on the girls' romantic relationships in later seasons, I'm always unpleasantly surprised to find that S1 had a lot (too much!) of Dean and Max stuff, at least in my opinion.

6. Sadie Sadie: S2 is one of my very favorite seasons of any show ever. This is a glaring exception!

7. Keg! Max!: Ugh. Just...ugh. I usually love even the S3 episodes most are meh on, but not this one.

8. A Family Matter: I actually really dislike this one, mostly but not solely because of my admittedly irrational hatred of Liz.

9. Nag Hammadi...: ...and this one, too. Plus, it loses points for its obnoxiously long and pretentious title! ;)

10. Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doing the Twist: It has one or two good Paris/Rory scenes, but otherwise this one gives my fast forward button a workout!

11. Tick Tick Tick... and Afterboom: Yes, I'm unfairly counting them as one; yes, I realize I'm already over my own 10 episode limit; no, I can't begin to defend why these popular episodes do less than nothing for me. I'm pretty sure some of it relates to the Rory/Dean nonsense, Kirk being cringe-inducingly over-the-top, and my dislike of how they chose to write out Digger.

Runners up for this (dis)honor include: Kill Me Now, Cinnamon's Wake, Rory's Dance (I can't help it; I love S1 less than most do, and feel it holds up poorly with repeated viewings); The Ins and Outs of Inns; Application Anxiety; Ted Koppel's Big Night Out (I know many name it as an all-time favorite, but...I'm not among them!), the Incredible Sinking Lorelais, and about 80% of the Trilogy!

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Oooh, I wanna play!

1. Pilot - It's just a set-up for what we already know. I could go without seeing this one and it's weird pacing and different sets again.

2. That Damn Donna Reed - What MsTaken said.

3. Christopher Returns - Ditto.

After those three, uh, these are ones I'd mostly be able to get rid of:

4. Red Light on the Wedding Night - I like Max, but this ep is pretty boring. Then majorly upsetting. But I hesitate to give it up completely because there are some great, iconic GG moments there.

5. Richard in Stars Hollow - The Paris storyline is a complete throwaway, but there are some great moments with Richard in this one that are too important to fully give up.

So... that's what I got? I contemplated Here Comes the Son, but the more I watch it the more I like it, even the LA parts.

Kiss and Tell

P.S. I Lo...

Kill Me Now, Cinnamon's Wake, Rory's Dance (I can't help it; I love S1 less than most do, and feel it holds up poorly with repeated viewings); The Ins and Outs of Inns; Application Anxiety; Ted Koppel's Big Night Out (I know many name it as an all-time favorite, but...I'm not among them!), the Incredible Sinking Lorelais, and about 80% of the Trilogy!

You're trying to kill me!

You know (and this might belong in the UO thread, but whatever) I'm pretty sure Keg!Max! is one of my secret favorites. I just... really like it? *sigh* I must have some sort of sickness. Although you really can't discount the beauty that is Paris's speech about drunken teenagers trapped on a boat for senior night. And anything keg or band-related will always get my vote. Also, see above, re: liking Max.

Edited by Kosmonaut, Oct 3, 2012 @ 12:38 PM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Hee---I'm starting to think that my weird, rather inexplicable love for Richard in Stars Hollow is one of my most unpopular GG opinions...and I have a whole lot of unpopular GG opinions!

Kos, I have a crazily deep love for Red Light on a Wedding Night, though I do see why it's not high on most people's lists of favorites.

I contemplated Here Comes the Son, but the more I watch it the more I like it, even the LA parts.

Same here! I actually still cringe my way through the California scenes, but the non-California scenes are IMO awesome enough to make this one worth rewatching...as long as I have my beloved fast forward button within pressing distance at all times. ;)

Although you really can't discount the beauty that is Paris's speech about drunken teenagers trapped on a boat for senior night

I'll grant you that one, Kos! It's easily one of my two favorite scenes of that episode. A well-placed, snark-laden rant from Paris can sometimes make even the most meh episodes worth rewatching :)

Ted Koppel's Big Night Out[/b]
Tthe Incredible Sinking Lorelais

You're trying to kill me!

Hee! Unlike many others on my list, I can't really justify my relative meh-ness for these. It's always hard, albeit fun, to try to explain why certain episodes do and don't resonate with different fans. I think my main issue gripe against Ted Koppel is that I find Emily grossly unfair and awful here even by her lofty standards---it's to the point where the episode ends up making me feel irritated rather than that giving me that cozy GG mood-boost I associate with my favorite episodes. And as pro-Lorelai as I am generally, I think she comes off like a complete brat with her 'how come we're not out there with the cool people?!' complaints about the table Jason went to lengths to reserve.
As for TISL, the conveniently parallel Gilmore breakdowns feels a little contrived to me, as does the fact that Dean just happens to be there when Rory shows up in search of her mom, leading to one of AB's most poorly acted scenes of the series! (I love the girl, but she just should not be permitted to cry on camera...ever!) I don't hate TISL at all, and I'll watch it over much of S5-S7, but it just doesn't fill me with that giddy "could I possibly love this show more?!" feeling. Neither does either of S4's 'Booms', which are also fan favorites...or, for that matter, most of the trilogy.

Okay, now for the related yet opposite (huh?!) question: Which 10ish episodes from the generally less loved S6-S7 would you beg the GG Gods to let you keep? (I didn't include S5 here, because some people really, really love that season, and that might end up taking all 10 slots! I thought finding 10 (relatively) beloved episodes from S6-S7 might be more challenging. But if anyone wants to include S5, obviously you can and should ::)

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Well, y'all know I love both season five AND six, so I'll just go with season seven. ;)

*wind whistles and brain tumbleweeds*

You know, it might be easier to get rid of episodes, because I'd basically want to keep The Long Morrow, S'Wonderful S'Marvelous, The Great Stink, Go Bulldogs, Santa's Secret Stuff and everything Farewell, My Pet until Bon Voyage.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

That's still a lot of keepers, Kos...more than 10, in fact :)

Mine are once again in chronological order, because ranking them in order of preference would be too taxing a task for my caffeine-deprived brain:

1. We've Got Magic to Do---I love the Paris parts, and think this episode is one of the very, very few that gives us a very relatable Luke/Lorelai conflict that even a non-shipper like I am found interesting and well done. Add in Emily's amusing snark-filled diatribe to Shira and Richard's expression as he realizes in that final scene that Rory is on the path towards becoming a mini-Emily, and you've got one of the very few S6 episodes I genuinely like and (gasp) might actually watch again :)

2. I Get A Sidekick Out of You---This episode is the main reason I still own my S6 DVDs. It's one of the very few post-S4 episodes that actually gets even better for me with repeated viewings. I think it's awesomely engaging and well done on every level. I've even grown to appreciate Lorelai's admittedly cringe-inducing speech!

Aside from these two episodes, I'd probably be fine never seeing a full S6 episode again, so the rest of my nominees hail from S7:.

3. That's What You Get, Folks, for Makin' Whoopee---I can't begin to justify this one. I just think it's got great dialogue and some really awesome scenes. I love the dessert sushi, and this episode also gives me some of my favorite Rory/Lane moments since at least S4.

4. S Wonderful, 'S Marvelous---Like Kos, I really enjoy this one. I think this is the single best date we see on the series. I like the Emily scenes as well. I can certainly see why people who dislike Christopher give this episode a miss, though :)

5. Santa's Secret Stuff---I think this underrated gem is one of the 5-10 best post-S4 episodes of the series. So well acted and surprisingly poignant. One of my most unpopular opinions ever is that, as GG Christmas episodes go, I think this one is better than the much loved Forgiveness and Stuff. Yes, I'm odd...why do you ask?!

6.Farewell, My Pet---the Logan/Rory scenes do nothing for me, but the rest is, IMO, so brilliantly done that I don't even mind.

7. Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore?---This is such a mood-boosting episode that reminds me of classic, vintage GG. I'm always surprised all over again by how much I love this one, and any episode that can make me really like Zach (whom I generally can't stand) deserves an automatic spot on this list :)

8. Bon Voyage---Kos will mock me for this one, as well she should, ;) Objectively, I get that it's very cheesy and shamelessly manipulative, but I'm such a sentimental sap that I can't help but love it anyway.

I'll stop here, as I'd be fine never again watching any other S6-S7 episodes...and, frankly, I'd far rather rewatch S2-S4 (and some of S1 and S5) for the 12 zillionth time than most of this list anyway. If I had to pick two more, though, I'd probably have gone with French Twist (*ducks*) and Gilmore Girls Only. And (*ducks again*) while I know many hate Knit People Knit, there are a few scenes in that one that I think are extremely well done.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

I'm not going to do Season 5, because my unpopular opinion is that it is probably my 3rd favorite season overall. So it wouldn't be fare.

1) Friday Nights are for Fighting
I love the paper parts, Logan stepping in and manipulating the print guy, and of course, the fight. I seriously love it.

2)I Get a Sidekick out of You
I don't like the 2 ceremonies part with Mrs. Kim lying to her mother and that apparently being the Kim family tradition, but I love the rest. From Michel going to see Celine, to the party, to the way Mrs. Kim shows Lane she cares by going to bed with earplugs.

3) Gilmore Girls Only
I have a strange affection for this episode. The road trip, the suit, Emily wanting to be with her girls. I don't particularly like Logan flying down or Emily's rudeness to the other wedding guests, but I like the rest.

4) You've Been Gilmored
No particular reason, but I really like this one. Especially Luke's realization that he'd been Gilmored.

5) Fight Face

Okay, I guess that's all I can do. And since I hate Season 7, I can't list a single Season 7 one. Everything about that season feels off. Mostly, I feel like they tried too hard to return to GG tone, you know? But as a result, it all fell flat for me.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

deaja, I'm also a huge season five fan AND I really love You've Been Gilmored, too. And Friday Night's Alright For Fighting is my current favorite episode of the show. I love anything Daily News-related. (See my vote for Go Bulldogs.)

That's still a lot of keepers, Kos...more than 10, in fact :)

Shucks, I know. It's easier to get rid of the ones I don't like than exclude the ones I do.

I have a mission, if you choose to accept it: What are your favorite episodes for Rory, acting by AB-wise included?

Edited by Kosmonaut, Oct 3, 2012 @ 3:44 PM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

And Friday Night's Alright For Fighting is my current favorite episode of the show.

Just so you know, I've never youtubed "Friday Nights Alright for Fighting" just to watch my favorite scenes from it over and over. No, sir. Not me.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

Hee, Kos, I thought you'd be impressed with my selection of We've Got Magic to Do, otherwise known as the episode YOU convinced me to give another chance :)

I love anything Daily News-related. (See my vote for Go Bulldogs.)

Ah, that explains it! As happy as I always am to see Paris, I tend not to like Yale Daily News scenes at all. I also tend not to love Hep Alien scenes.

What are your favorite episodes for Rory, acting by AB-wise included?

See, these are different categories for me: episodes in which I adore the character of Rory aren't necessarily the episodes in which I think AB's acting was a standout, and there are a few episodes where I'm impressed with AB's acting but don't especially consider them Rory's shining moments. Still, there's obviously an overlap, so I'll accept your mission, Kos!

As always, these are chronological:

1) The Lorelais' First Day at Chilton----So you guys know I don't love S1 as much as some, but I DO love S1's sharp, quietly determined, deeper-voiced Rory! I so empathize with her here.

2) Deer Hunters---see above! Aren't actresses supposed to get better as they gain more experience and grow more comfortable with the role? I actually think AB was most awesome at the outset of the series.

3) The Breakup, Part 2---she so perfectly captures that hollow, sickly numb post-breakup feeling.

4) Like Mother, Like Daughter...I know, I know; y'all are sick of my gushing about this episode on nearly every list we do :) But I think Rory does such a wonderful job here of playing the geeky introvert with a surprisingly strong sense of self, and I love her acting in the scene where she tells off Charleston.

5) Lorelai's Graduation Day---I know it seems like this is another one I just automatically place on every 'favorites' list, but I think AB is terrific here; she conveys (IMO) wonderfully, believable chemistry with and suppressed passion for Jess, and I love her facial expressions and delivery of the over-the-top apology. Even her scenes on the bus are great---AB does 'anxious' very well IMO.

6) Haunted Leg---her anger at her dad and her 'knows she has no right to be mad but is' interactions with Jess, etc. are surprisingly great here. As you can tell, I tend to think Jess (along with Paris, Lorelai and even Tristan) brought out AB's best acting.

7) One's Got Class... She totally sells me on her BFF chemistry with Lane here, which is definitely not always the case for me, and her reactions as Lane babbles about how in love with Dean (riiiight) Rory allegedly is are spot on. Even her snapping at Shane, while certainly not among Rory's more shining moments, are IMO realistic and well done.

8) Let the Games Begin---weirdly enough, this might even be among AB's very best episodes. Her interactions with her mom, grandparents, Jess, Dean...they're all perfect in this one, at least to me.

9) Say Goodnight, Gracie---in large part because of that scene with Jess on the bus. One of AB's very most memorable scenes to me.

10) Those Are Strings, Pinocchio---oddly enough, though, I don't love her acting during her widely beloved speech, just in pretty much every other scene of this magnificent episode!

11) The Lorelais' First Day at Yale, as long as we don't count the howling. ;)

12) The Hobbit, the Sofa and Digger Stiles---I think her acting at their party, wedged on the couch between those horrid twins, is comedy gold. Her rant to her mom about Emily, her dorkiness as she stumbles into her class ridiculously early...all vintage Rory and awesomely convincing from the probably-not-nerdy-in-real-life AB!

13) But Not as Cute As Pushkin---see above re. AB's surprisingly convincing, endearing adorkableness and geeky awkwardness.

13) So...Good Talk---for many reasons I'm a bit too tired to delve into...*pours more caffeine*

ETA: And, oh, how could I have forgotten Women of Questionable Morals?! I know it's not a popular episode, but I think AB is terrific here, actually: I love her tense interactions with Chris, her reaction when she learns his father passed away, etc

General observations:

1) I think Paris, Lorelai, Jess and even Tristan tend to bring out AB's best acting. I usually feel like she gets lost in her scenes with the commanding, ultra-strong Kelly Bishop, and think she has less than no chemistry with non-Jess love interests, though obviously that's subjective.

2) I think AB's comedic chops are really excellent and sadly underrated. Her facial expressions are especially priceless.

3) There's a stronger than expected (though obviously not total) correlation between the episodes in which I think AB is at her best and my favorite episodes of the series.

Edited by MsTaken, Oct 3, 2012 @ 4:24 PM.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

If the GG Gods decreed that you had to select a total of 5-10 episodes from the widely beloved S1-S4 to never watch again, which 5-10 would you reluctantly select?!

Well, DD and I are currently about mid-S3 in our GG watch (rewatch, many times over, for me; first time for her) so I'd have to say my list would be -

Love and War and Snow - Because Rory being all googly-eyed over Dean, and especially Lorelai being all googly-eyed over Max, pretty much makes me want to hurl. The Rory/g'rents stuff almost makes up for it, but not quite. I also find the Rich Bloomingfeld story embarrassing and OOC for Lane, and cringe watching it all unfold. I would like to add the disclaimer that I could watch Luke saying "They got stood up. They should've been wearing prom dresses!" a few dozen times in a row and still laugh every time, however.

Paris is Burning - Hate. Haaaaaate. I always forget how much I hate this episode until I watch it. I'd rather just forget about it.

PS I Lo... - Rory/Dean, Lorelai/Max. Blech.

Love, Daisies, and Troubadours - See above.

Sadie, Sadie - And again. Plus we get to watch Richard act like a total ass. That doesn't add any goodness to the ep.

Road Trip to Harvard - I hate the way the Girls treat the people at the B&B. The Harvard stuff bores me to tears. There's not much to redeem this ep for me.

Keg! Max! - The band stuff is fun, but the brief reappearance of Max is enough to make me want to poke my eyes out.

Say Goodnight, Gracie - Lorelai and Sookie's actions at the funeral are beyond apalling. It's the beginning of the end for Jess, which makes me really sad. There's just not enough sparkle anywhere else to make this one enjoyable for me.

Girls in Bikinis, etc - Just about as boring as GG gets for me.

I almost added I Solemnly Swear because just about anything with Francie's tough-guy act in it makes my eyelid twitch, but the Sookie/Joe/accidental flirting stuff is funny enough to redeem it.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Aside from the fact that I have a weirdly deep love for Say Goodnight Gracie, I'm happy to see a lot of similarities in our lists, Taryn!

Sadie, Sadie - And again. Plus we get to watch Richard act like a total ass. That doesn't add any goodness to the ep.

Yeah, I'm surprised this doesn't show up on more people's "meh" lists. Even an S2 fanatic like I am finds it unpleasant to watch.

I almost added I Solemnly Swear because just about anything with Francie's tough-guy act in it makes my eyelid twitch, but the Sookie/Joe/accidental flirting stuff is funny enough to redeem it

I've long been one of the only (er, THE only?!) proponents of this episode :) It's certainly nowhere near a favorite, but I think the non-Francie stuff is great. Like you, I enjoy the Sookie/Joe subplot, and I'm weird enough to think Lorelai's deposition was true comedy gold!

Road Trip to Harvard must be one the most polarizing episodes of the series: I can't think of another episode that shows up on so many people's favorites lists AND least favorites lists. I'm in the "love it" camp, though I see how fellow fans don't. I just really love the Harvard scenes, and how the episode makes Lorelai reflect on how her own path might have differed if she hadn't gotten pregnant---and, in that final scene, how it's never really too late to attain her dreams. Actually, that's one of my favorite L/L scenes of the series. And while I do totally get the criticism of Lorelai and Rory's snobby, too-cool-for-the-room rudeness...well, how shall I put this...I think they're often that way! (And yet I usually love them like crazy anyway, which is quite a credit to the writers and actresses.) At least in this case Lorelai they had the excuse of acute hunger and, in Lorelai's case, reeling from a breakup. Suffice it to say that I am not especially friendly under those circumstances either!

So since Kos challenged us to name favorite AB/Rory episodes, I'm going to make it even harder and ask for favorite LG/Lorelai episodes. Or, if that's too hard, I'll graciously allow you guys to do favorite Paris episodes instead. ;)

Edited by MsTaken, Oct 4, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Ms. Taken, I also cringe at them going into "Suzy's" room and posing for pictures, etc. I just don't see a single redeeming quality of that episode.

Another one that most people love that I hate, for similar reasons, is The Lorelei's First Day at Yale. I think they both act so bratty, like rules are beneath them, and Lorelei treats Luke terribly. It's like these two episodes for me are magnifying glasses on the girls' worst traits.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

So if no one else wants to pick their 5-10 favorite Paris episodes, I'll take the plunge! This one was surprisingly hard, as I adore Paris; even when she's insufferable, she adds an immeasurable amount to my enjoyment of the show, and LW's acting blows me away. My reluctantly narrowed down list:

1. Concertus Interruptus: This is, or at least feels like, the first time we see Paris as a vulnerable human being for more than a few seconds at a time. I love how she subtly but surely emerges here as more of a true potential friend to Rory than the seemingly more likable Madeline and Louise, I love her being in awe of Lorelai and what that reveals about her own pitiful home life, and I love that she's a Bangals fangirl rather than mocking them as I'd feared.

2. The Third Lorelai: I've always had an unpopular affection for this episode, and Paris is a primary reason why. She's hilariously neurotic, she ranges from defensively awful to surprisingly sensitive to awful again when her fragile ego is bruised, she clearly wants to trust and be close to Rory even as she lashes out at her when she feels that trust has been betrayed. If I had to pick one quintessential, 'this is so very PARIS in all her awesomeness and awfulness' episode, this might be the one.

3. There's the Rub:...but this might be my personal favorite. I love her passion for books, her childlike delight over the "normal" teenage-y junk food to which she'd never been exposed, and especially how she covers for Rory when ScarilyJealousDean gets all...Dean-ish. I wanted to see more of the subsequent Rory/Paris sleepover. I love their frenemy-ship beyond reason.

4. Back in the Saddle Again: I can't defend this one! I just love Richard and Paris bonding way, way more than I should.

5. The Big One: for Paris's classic breakdown, but also for the support Rory and even Lorelai give her afterwards.

6. Those Are Strings, Pinocchio: I know, I know---I'm incapable of NOT including this one on pretty much every list we ever do! ;) And I get that Paris isn't even in this one much, but her excitement and pride over her nanny and the "You know, it's weird, most of the time I really hated you"///"Yeah, I really hated you, too..." as they hug somehow works so much better than sentimental words would have!

It's weird, because S4 has some great Paris/Rory moments, but I wouldn't name any of those episodes among my very favorites for Paris except *maybe* The Hobbit, The Sofa and Digger Stiles, and this is coming from someone who actually likes Paris/Asher!

7. Written in the Stars: Most people think of this as the one with Luke and Lorelai's first official date. I think of it as the one where we get to see a grieving Paris ("I'm sad, Rory") with Asher's pipe in that perfect GG-ish mix of humor and poignancy.

8. The UnGraduate: I actually hate this episode overall, but the Paris scenes are gold---again, the unique combination of wit and pathos that only Paris can produce!

9. We've Got Magic to Do: Am I really including two S6 episodes on a 'best of...' list?! Yes, because IMO Paris is so wonderful here, and with some endlessly quotable snark even by her standards.

Runners up: Rory's Birthday Parties, The Breakup Part 2, The Barcebridge Dinner (actually, I probably should have made this my tenth but am too lazy to amend the list!) The Lorelais' First Day at Yale, The Hobbit, The Sofa and Digger Stiles, But Not as Cute as Pushkin, Unto the Breach.

Edited by MsTaken, Oct 9, 2012 @ 8:49 AM.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Your list is basically flawless, MsTaken, but if I may add a few:

1. I Can't Get Started - I absolutely love Paris in a campaign, and her vulnerability in asking Rory to help her out is something of true beauty.

2. Girls in Bikinis... - What can I say? I'm a sucker for everything Paris in this episode. National Baptism Day, the sunscreen and the tipping, "We love Bill Moyers." Everything is great.

3. Friday Night's Alright For Fighting/You've Been Gilmored - Ain't no Paris like a Paris scorned. Also: "Well then, hopefully people who don't want to reuse a paper cup won't mind buying SPF 5000 for their grandkids when the rainforest is gone and the ozone layer is a doily and the human race is bursting into flames!" That line is probably my single-favorite Paris moment of the entire show. Hee, and her concession speech after "resigning" as editor is inspired; you can tell she'd been practicing. "Goodnight, and good luck."

4. The Long Morrow - Paris is the best tutor of all time, y/y? "She's got a "c" average, which means she's either lazy or stupid. I can work with either. Frankly, sometimes stupid is easier. I can scare the stupid out of you, but the lazy runs deep."

But Not as Cute as Pushkin would totally make my master list! "Well, I'm a drama major-" "Ding, ding, ding!" Everything that comes out of her mouth in that episode is absolutely inspired. "Goodbye, Jack. I'll write Mother immediately."

Not all of my favorite Paris episodes are necessarily Paris-heavy, as you'll note. They're just the ones that stick out the most for me. Besides the ones on your list, obviously, because I absolutely love There's the Rub, as you know.

Edited by Kosmonaut, Oct 9, 2012 @ 2:24 PM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Your list is basically flawless, MsTaken

Right back at you, sister friend!

1. I Can't Get Started - I absolutely love Paris in a campaign, and her vulnerability in asking Rory to help her out is something of true beauty.

Given how obsessed I am with this episode, I can't believe I omitted it from my list. (ICGS is on many other of my lists as well, including 'episodes most are meh on but which I now consider a top 10 of the whole series'!) I agree that it's yet another sublime mix of snarky neurotic Paris and oh-yeah-she's-human vulnerable Paris.

But Not as Cute as Pushkin would totally make my master list! "Well, I'm a drama major-" "Ding, ding, ding!" Everything that comes out of her mouth in that episode is absolutely inspired. "Goodbye, Jack. I'll write Mother immediately."

I kind of wanted the impossibly perky Anna Fairchild to enroll at Yale the next year purely so we could listen to Paris snark about her.

So picking the best Lorelai episodes is probably too hard unless we want to declare a 148 way tie (even a Lorelai lover like I am finds her borderline insufferable in a handful of episodes), but who should we do next? Best 5-7 Jess episodes? Sookie episodes? Lane? Emily? Richard? Maybe all of the above?!

Edited by MsTaken, Oct 9, 2012 @ 7:02 PM.