What are your picks for the five or so funniest episodes of the series?
1. Cinnamonís Wake - maybe because it was my first episode, but I think this one hits a lot of great notes: the teaser is probably my all time favorite, I love the ďgot it coveredĒ scene, I love Michel pretending he doesnít know how to speak French, I think the scene with Sookie behind the counter at Lukeís is great, I love the little exchange between Lane and Rory regarding Cinnamonís death, I love Miss Pattyís line ďI promise I won't tell a single soul that you don't know that young man.Ē.
2. Dead Uncles and Vegetables - if only for Emilyís wedding plans for Sookie.
3. A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving - Drunk Sookie never fails to make me giggle.
4. Nick and Nora, Sid and Nancy - I hate Lukeís heartless remark to Lorelai about her decision-making skills, but I love Sookie cooking for Jess, Lukeís rant to Jess about Pierpont and quitting smoking, Luke shoving Jess in the lake, Lorelai accosting that poor kid to get her a danishÖ
5. I get a Sidekick Out of You - right up until the toast, I find this episode amazingly amusing for Season Five.
The five most poignant, my-that's-a-large-lump-in-my-throat episodes?
1. Forgiveness and Stuff - that wordless look between Lorelai and Richard - gulp!
2. Those are Strings, Pinocchio - I know that, from what we heard, it was not a traditional valedictory address, but Iím bawling, youíre all freaks!
3. Say Something - I really feel Lorelaiís desparation over the breakup.
4. Farewell, my Pet - the look on Lorelaiís face at the chow funeral, and her speech to Christopher - sniff!
5. Bon Voyage - I know Iím being shamelessly manipulated, but I donít care, I start crying from the second Jackson and Zach run out to the jeep in the rain.
The five most romantic?
Iím not a huge fan of the way romantic relationships are depicted on this show. I just donít think ASP had much talent for writing believable romance, so my top five may be surprising.
1. Let the Games Begin - I think Emily and Richard reminiscing about their courtship is very romantic.
2. Red Light on a Wedding Night - see #1.
3. Written in the Stars - not for anything Luke/Lorelai related as I think that was one of the most sparkless dates imaginable. Paris smoking Asherís pipe while mourning him was, to me, the true romance of this episode.
4. The Big One - Sookie and Jacksonís scene when he finally tells her heís happy about the baby is so endearing and romantic.
5. Say Goodnight Gracie - I love Dave and Laneís awkward, desperate plea to Mrs. Kim to accept their relationship.
The five 'guilty pleasure' episodes you objectively know aren't that great but to which you're deeply attached and rewatch over and over?
1. The Festival of Living Pictures - I want to find a town that does this and move there.
2. The Big One - I love this episode - especially the Sookie/Jackson scenes.
3. The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles - I find Sookieís tirade entertaining in this one.
4. Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doing the Twist - I know itís bad, I know itís poorly written, I know the buzz about Paris and Rory kissing is laughable, I canít help liking this episode!
5. Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore - I love the townies in this one. I even like Zach!
And, on the less gushy and more unabashedly snarky side, what are the five-(ish!) generally adored episodes that you remain stubbornly meh on?
1. Double Date - I just donít see anything but horrendously clashing clothes. (See Sookie on the date and Lorelai at Kimís antiques.)
2. The Road Trip to Harvard - I find the girls rude and obnoxious in this one.
3. Lorelaiís Graduation Day - I just donít find it particularly moving and I find Roryís speech at the end to be way too much. I wonít even mention Seth MacFarlane - HATE!
4. Dear Emily and Richard - I donít know why I donít love it, I just donít.
5. Itís Just Like Riding a Bike - I know a lot of people hail this as the return of Luke and Lorelai, I just hail it as the return of their endlessly combative relationship which is somehow supposed to signify true love? When you compare it with the rational way Jackson and Sookie work through their problems in this episode, I find it even sadder.
And how about your five very least favorites of the series?
1. Lorelaiís First Cottilion - I hate so much about this episode. I think the way Emily treats Charlotte is appalling, I think the way Lorelai treats Michel over the corsage is equally appalling. I think if this had been my first episode, it would have been my last because I actively dislike Lorelai in it.
2. A Vineyard Valentine - for everything weíve all said so many times.
3. Merry Fisticuffs - From that ridiculous fight between Christopher and Luke to the whole revelation of the Marty secret, just a bad episode.
4. Blame Booze and Melville - Lorelai comes across as an idiot who thinks the desire for an apple must mean sheís pregnant , the whole scene with Luke and Kirk in the sauna with the town elders is therapy-inducing disturbing, they assassinated my beloved Sookie and Jackson, and then thereís a little plot about Rory and some criticism and a boatÖ
5. How Many Kropogs to Cape Cod - Bad, bad, bad episode - Roryís an idiot, Loganís a jerk, Lorelaiís transparent, Emilyís a shrew, Richardís a suckup, need I go on?