Best.Episode.Ever./Worst.Episode.Ever.

• Please log in to reply

858 replies to this topic

enchantress

enchantress

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

I looked and didn't see a topic like this. If there is and by some chance my x-ray vision didn't catch it, then by all means shut her down.

It's fairly easy to understand. What (in your opinion) is the best episode and/or the worst episode of Gilmore Girls.

And yes, I know you all have an episode you don't like.

And, likewise, one you may seen one to many times, so one assumes it may be your favorite.

Personally.

Best.Episode.Ever is (IMHO) Forgiveness and Stuff.

It's the prefect episode to me. I never ever felt the need to fast forward through any of the scenes. Raincoats and Recipes is up there too. As is That Damn Donna Reed

Worst.Episode.Ever....

It Should've Been Lorelai

I just don't like it. Christopher (whom I'm usually indifferent to) really ticked me off, and Sherry (whom I'm also indifferent to) annoyed me more here than in her couple other appearances. I episode in general, was kind of boring and I was upset that at the end they had Christopher yell at Lorelai which was uncalled for.

Okay, your turn!

aidanspencer

aidanspencer

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 12:14 AM

Cool topic.

Best. Episode. Ever.
Well, it used to be "Rory's Dance." It has everything, drama, humour, great writing, even better acting. I swear, every damn time I hear Lorelai's, "Thank you, Mommy." I tear up. But, living in a post "Raincoats and Recipes" world, has changed things a bit. Okay, a lot. My new favourite is "Raincoats and Recipes" for all of the reasons that I love "Rory's Dance," only in this episode, they are magnified. To the nth degree. Is there anything higher than the nth degree? Well, you get my point. Never has any episode of GG made me feel the way that episode did. It literally takes you along the entire spectrum of emotions in a really intense way. Not to mention, it is a vehicle for Lauren Graham to show us that she really has mastered pretty much every aspect of performing.

Worst. Episode. Ever.
"Eight O'Clock at the Oasis," in my eyes, is the absolute worst episode of GG ever. For me, it is something akin to listening to Bjork: it made me look around my living room for any kind of blunt instruments that could be used to perform a crude prefrontal lobotomy, so that I no longer have the cognitive capacity to understand the absolute shitfest that is going on. It was so boring. And the neighbour bugged the hell out of me. After his first scene, I just wanted to rip his head off and punt it like a football. And I'm usually a very docile guy. This episode just brings out the sadist in me.

Edited by aidanspencer, May 26, 2004 @ 12:20 AM.

LegallyBlonde

LegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

Worst. Episode. Ever:

Here Comes the Son. My Jess hate was magnified by eleventy trillion while we watched people we didn't care about attempt to speak Sherman-Palladino and fail. I think some of the dialogue actually thudded when it fell to the ground. Downright painful.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 1:05 AM

I agree with aidanspencer on both Best. Episode. Ever. counts. It's hard for me to pick a favorite episode (all my possible choices are from Season 1), but if I had to pick one then "Rory's Dance" would end up being it, closely followed by "Concert Interruptus" just because I loved seeing Lorelai yell at the two Barbies. I've watched that scene a ridiculous number of times. However, after seeing "Raincoats and Recipes" I do believe that it's blown everything else completely out of the water. It just could not have been more perfect. It has everything that has ever made this show good.

As for the Worst. Episode. Ever. I'd have to pick "Road Trip to Harvard." Could not stay awake during that one. Maybe I was just having a bad day, but I can't think of one thing I liked about it. Any number of the Season 3 Jess episodes would come next on my list.

Edited by healing fish, May 26, 2004 @ 5:49 PM.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 1:23 AM

I still have strong love for Rory's Birthday Parties. Second would be Kiss and Tell (which I always have to stop myself from naming it "Rory's First Kiss") Both of these just seem like magical episodes.

Worst, probably Road Trip to Harvard.

Ikcelaks

Ikcelaks

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 1:36 AM

Interesting, I wasn't really excited by Here Comes the Son, but I actually thought that the scenes in California were pretty good. For me, the remainder set back in Stars Hollow was what really fell flat. Oh well, each to his or her own I suppose.

On to the topic at hand:

Best: That Damn Donna Reed
I will always make that claim. Other episodes have funnier lines. Still others more prominently feature Richard and Emily (the two best things GG has going for it), and many others feature more dramatic plot developments. However, I can't imagine any other episode (past or future) ever capturing simple, beautiful spirit of Gilmore Girls half so well. I'm not sure if there has ever been a purer parody on the everyday quirks of life. It is wonderful just to think of it.

Worse: Eight O'Clock at the Oasis
Never before have the ending credits found me in such a desperately perplexed state. This episode deserves consideration for this "award" based solely on the pathetic [non]ending; the previous forty minutes seal the deal in a bomb-proof safe which has no key or combination. As I watched, I got the distinct feeling that the episode was originally shot as a two hour special before they cut out half the scenes (the best half for sure) to squeeze it into its normal time frame. Do you know why Lorelai's date with Peyton went so poorly? Rumor has it that they spent most of the date watching early cuts of this atrocious excuse for an episode.

Judith

Judith

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 3:53 AM

My favorite now may very well be Raincoats and Recipes. Before that it was a tossup between Christopher Returns and I Can't Get Started. Why, yes, I am a Lorelai/Christopher 'shipper, why do you ask? But I am JUST fine with L/L now!

Worst? Before recent eps, it would have been Road Trip to Harvard. But at least that had that cool ending with Lorelai, and it made me cry. In the past couple of seasons, however, there have been episodes that bored me every step of the way. I don't know their names, though. I never liked any of the eps with the First Lorelai, even though I love Marion Ross.

Edited by Judith, May 26, 2004 @ 3:55 AM.

Inactive 001

Inactive 001

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 5:41 AM

My favorite episode used to be Swan Song, because it was so great to watch Emily be so polite to Jess and then totally trash him to Lorelai. Also I loved the idea of Jess being attacked by a swan, probably because that was in the middle of my Rory infatuation and I wanted to beat the shit out of Jess myself. Now I'm in the middle of a Paris infatuation and I want to beat Asher. I really need help.

Of course time brings change, so my favorite episode is now Raincoats and Recipes. I was bothered by the fact that Rory seemed rather insignificant this season and glad that ASP found a way to blow that out of the water. LG was as perfect as it is possible to be. Naturally I've had a Lorelai infatuation since she took off her cap in the pilot epsiode, but for some reason I've always wanted her and Luke to get together.

My worst episode? I have to agree with those who said Eight O'Clock at the Oasis. I found it uninteresting at best and insufferable at worst. And I can't even read the title without getting that damn Maria Muldaur song in my head for the next 12 hours.

Edited by saltydog88, May 26, 2004 @ 12:11 PM.

rosjaq

rosjaq

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 7:27 AM

Best: That Damn Donna Reed

Ikcelaks, many moons ago we had a brief discussion on this episode (not sure if you remember) and at that point, I didn't get the brilliance of the episode. Well, I think I get it now. It really stands out, I have to say.

Worst? That's hard, but I agree with LegallyBlonde, I think HCTS stands out as the worst. Was anyone else wondering what the hell happened to Sherrilyn in that one? She looked bloody awful.

Does anyone else have an intense hatred for Application Anxiety?

LegallyBlonde

LegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 8:32 AM

*raises hand* I, too, hate Application Anxiety, in which nothing seems to have any relationship to the actual world in which we live.

Strangely, I love Road Trip to Harvard. It was the first ep I saw, and I immediately fell in love with the show. Watching now, with a bit of perspective, would that change? I don't know.

Edited by LegallyBlonde, May 26, 2004 @ 8:32 AM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

Best Episode:
Okay, I want to say Raincoats and Recipes, but I think my opinion is swayed in that direction since I'm still riding a high from that episode. It's definitely in the top 3 though. Otherwise, I'll have to agree with Ikcelaks and choose That Damn Donna Reed. Truly excellent episode. Although, I'm kind of tempted to say Rory's Dance since that's the first episode I saw, and it obviously really grabbed my attention.

Worst Episode:
Well, I'm less familiar with the bad episodes because I never rewatch them, so I can't remember which I hated the most, Application Anxiety or 8 O'Clock at the Oasis, but I remember hating both of them. And there were some pretty crappy episodes this season, but they weren't atrociious so much as incredibly dull. I think my vote goes to Application Anxiety.

moemac

moemac

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 11:51 AM

My favorite has always been Road trip to Harvard. In fact, I just watched it a few days ago and still loved it.

Since I haven't had any coffee, really can't think of a worst (there are some I hated) I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here and say,8 O'Clock at the Oasis. I remember how boring it was and that guy. Wowey, he so annoyed me.

Summer InA Bowl

Summer InA Bowl

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

I have a lot of favorite episodes, really. It's hard to choose. But I think I'm going to have to go with Forgiveness and Stuff. Every time I see this episode I am just awed. It's a truly amazing bit of television. Lorelai should have married Luke right there!

My least favorite, I think, is probably Lorelai's Graduation Day. I was disappointed in that one. I find it really hard to believe that Rory would miss her mother's graduation because she skipped school to see Jess, and the episode really doesn't have a lot of good character interaction and simply isn't that funny.

My favorites for S4: I did love Raincoats and Recipes, but I actually liked Luke Can See Her Face just a little bit better. My least favorite for S4 is Die, Jerk.

enchantress

enchantress

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 12:35 PM

I think I blocked Application Anxiety and Eight O'Clock at the Oasisout of my head. Now that I've been reminded, I place those in my Worst Category, as well.

I have to say that I have a deep love for Dead Uncles and Vegetables

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 12:43 PM

I forgot about "Die, Jerk." Man, did that one ever suck.

and his name was bob

and his name was bob

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 12:59 PM

I hated Die Jerk and the spring break episode from this season. Spring Break especially. It almost made me give up the show, but then American Idol booted George Huff so I came back.

Favorites include Rory's Birthday Parties, the first one I ever saw, and I Can't Get Started. I must have watched that one at least six times after it aired. The Rory/Jess kiss was so good.

I think on the whole I don't really have strong feelings about entire episodes, but individual scenes. Like, 8 O'Clock at the Oasis had the super annoying neighbor, but it also had the first non-confrontational Rory/Jess interaction in weeks. And they both got soaking wet. So I was okay with it. I'm thinking back and I definitely hated the show whenever Francie was on it. And when Paris broke down on C-Span. But I loved Rory/Jess stuff in Season 2, and anything with Dave in Season 3. But not necessarily the whole episodes that revolved around them, if that makes sense.

enchantress

enchantress

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

May I summit for your approval The Nanny and the Professor for Worst.Episode.Ever. recognition.

First off, it marked the return of ScaryNipples!2. Secondly...it was probably the worst of Season 4 (though, Die Jerk! is a close second, in my book). Michel and the Davie storyline rubbed me the wrong way, I think. Plus, I just don't like Digger. Bad episode! I think it marked one of the few times were I was relieved an episode was over.

It Should've Been Lorelai and The Nanny and the Professor are neck in neck for Worst!.

I actually really liked Road Trip To Harvard. The Diner scene with Luke is classic.

Miss Steph

Miss Steph

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 2:01 PM

Although I like Rory's Birthday Parties and Rory's Dances, I think my favorite 1st season ep is Love and War and Snow. To me it had so many great scenes...the funniest town meeting ("Daddy's getting mad" "He's adjusting the cap, he's rocking in his seat..."), lots of Lane angst, Rory "cooking" for her grandparents, Luke bringing coffee to the reenactors, Luke's face when he sees Lorelai and Max together, Lane catching Max and Lorelai and finally Rory gazing at photos of her parents together. Loved it.

Worst: I'd probably have to go with the majority with the Eight O'Clock ep. Boring from start to finish. Although there were plenty of eps in this season (especially the first part) that were just awful.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

The Nanny and the Professor for worst, all the way. This was the episode which convinced me that the show had jumped the shark.

Fortunately for us, while it definitely bottomed out here, the show instead got better and better throughout the season. But I can still recall ranting about this episode in my livejournal and posting in the "Has this show jumped?" thread after seeing it.

rosjaq

rosjaq

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 2:20 PM

May I summit for your approval The Nanny and the Professor for Worst.Episode.Ever. recognition.

Oh, that's a bad one, too. Yes, that'll be one of my WEE. Anyone for Season 2's The Bracebridge Dinner? Perhaps that one's more annoying than bad, but I just can't stand it.

Another one I really loved (coming from a girl who lost both grandfathers very young) is Kill Me Now. Rory/Richard at the country club, playing golf and "a good walk spoiled".

God, I love Season 1.

Edited by rosjaq, May 26, 2004 @ 2:43 PM.

pathwatch

pathwatch

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 4:16 PM

Wow, great topic.

As for best. Hands down, now, Raincoats and Recipes. But, add to that list (and in this order): Dead Uncles and Vegetables, Forgiveness & Stuff, Kiss and Tell, Rory's Birthday Parties, and Concert Interruptus. As you can see, it is very S1-centric (I know Dead Uncles is S2 but I love the L/L interaction).

The worst. Eight O'Clock. Blech. Just blech. Adding to that blech is One's Got Class and the other Dyes. I didn't particularly like Die, Jerk!, but truly HATED the S3 low-points.

Edited by pathwatch, May 26, 2004 @ 4:16 PM.

Hiker

Hiker

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 4:43 PM

I find it really hard to believe that Rory would miss her mother's graduation because she skipped school to see Jess, and the episode really doesn't have a lot of good character interaction and simply isn't that funny.

Wow, I love this episode. Rory didn't intentionally miss her mother's graduation. She just got on the wrong bus. I thought it was one of my favorites.

My absolute favorite is Lost and Found. I wanted so much to see Lorelai and Jess get to know each other and maybe get along. Oh well. Also loved the JJ scenes. They were hilarious.

I didn't like Secrets and Loans. I thought that one was boring.

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

Ikcelaks, for the longest time I thought you were joking when you insisted on calling That Damn Donna Reed the best episode ever. But after rewatching it on DVD recently I've got to admit it was better than I remembered it being. And it reaffirmed my belief that Rory ought to wear yellow more often in case that matters to anyone. Still not the best ever, though, sorry.

Rory's Dance used to be my favorite, but I'm not sure that still applies after Raincoats wrecked the Good Ship Rory/Dean, so Forgiveness and Stuff would probably get the top spot now, with Rory's Birthday Parties gaining ground.

Application Anxiety still gets the Suckpill Award. Despite being Jess-free, which is usually a major plus for an episode for me.

BTW, healing fish, despite the protests of the world's Latin teachers it's still Concert Interruptus, not Concertus... Sorry. :-)

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

Oy. Thanks, Brahmsian.

Aranna

Aranna

Just Tuned In

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 6:00 PM

The worst episode ever was Dear Emily and Richard. Man, it just...for lack of a better word, sucked. The best was of course Raincoats and Recipes, I cried at the end of that one.

girlfrombrazil

girlfrombrazil

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

Ikcelaks, for the longest time I thought you were joking when you insisted on calling That Damn Donna Reed the best episode ever.

I always thought that this was the best episode ever, because of the great L/L interaction. And Emily asking "do you have feelings for this man?" Wow! A classic! I haven't watched Raincoats and Recipes yet, but I'm sure it'll take That Damn Donna Reed to the second place. Still...The R/D scenes are awesome too, although I'm not their biggest fan.

The worst? Season 4 is full of bad episodes - the best came only in the end...

Miglet

Miglet

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 7:32 PM

Rory ought to wear yellow more often

Well maybe her wedding dress can be yellow, since she sure as hell ain't wearin' white anymore!

Hmmm this is tough - I'd say my favorites are Cinnamon's Wake, That Damn Donna Reed, Forgiveness and Stuff and of course, Raincoats and Recipes

presssecretary

presssecretary

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 7:39 PM

Well maybe her wedding dress can be yellow, since she sure as hell ain't wearin' white anymore!

Heh, talk about an old tradition. I think this went out quite a while back.

Best eps: Forgiveness and Stuff, Raincoats and Recipes and In the Clangor and Clamor (or whatever)--I liked this purely for the L/L scene "breaking into the church"

Worst: The Nanny and the Professor (was this the same one where they talked about anvils? If not, that one goes on the list too.)

Miglet

Miglet

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 7:48 PM

Yeah, it did, but I couldn't resist taking a poke at poor Rory. And of course I'll just leave that one alone.

Oh and my Worst list is comprised mainly of episodes where Jess comes back to town.

presssecretary

presssecretary

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 8:39 PM

where Jess comes back to town.

sounds good to me...