The Daytime Emmys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

724 replies to this topic

Isaboe

Isaboe

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:37 PM

Vanessa Marcil is hosting. It looks like she's wearing half of two different dresses. Weird. I don't watch the soaps so I don't know who's who. So far no one has looked to horrifying. Yet.

Titus

Titus

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

I guess the last thread got wiped out so I'll repeat the question: Anyone know which soap the opening clip featuring a threesome in bed was from?

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

• Interests:Slummin' it and lovin' it.

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

Was it the one with the two guys? I believe that's All My Children, but don't quote me on that. I can't remember it well.

Ms.O

Ms.O

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:52 PM

SO glad Michelle won for Lead Actress! She deserved it and her "snuggle" comment at the end was adorable!

Overall not a bad show. I liked how they kept it to the point and ended it right at 3 hours. I don't have the patience for anything longer.

My only gripe? Christian JULES LeBlanc didn't win. I agreed with Michelle when she said he deserved one and 15 more.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:56 PM

I'm glad that Y&R won for Best Drama. The show is consistent when it comes to good acting and good writing. All the other shows have their highs and their lows (okay, General Hospital has more lows), but Y&R, IMO, has very few weak links and the award was much deserved.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:57 PM

I second the congrats about Michelle Stafford! Christian Jules LeBlanc was robbed! I was sad when he didn't win, but he looked like he was happy for Rick Hearst.

I am SO happy the View hags won NOTHING!

Yay for Ellen's show and for Wayne too.

I wanted to puke when I saw Elisabeth Hasselbeck's prim dress.
Oh, Lisa Rinna? Please put it away. That is all.

Edited by LouisVuittonRULZ, May 21, 2004 @ 10:58 PM.

Spider Girl

Spider Girl

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

Did anyone else catch the cut to Martha Stewart just after the "soap opera breaking the law" segment? Hee!

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:03 PM

Most of the winners.

This is just humorous and pitiful, though. It's like a reason he should win:

Maurice Benard of "General Hospital," last year's winner of best actor in a daytime drama, was considered a favorite again this year, said Carolyn Hinsey, editor of Soap Opera Weekly. His character, Sonny, accidentally shot his wife in the head during childbirth.

SO glad he didn't. As it was said in the GH thread, Maurice was NOT robbed. (Speaking of, GHers can kinda come over here to talk about it...)

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, May 21, 2004 @ 11:13 PM.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

Anthony Geary must have thanked his BF in dutch...

I would have thought Anna's son would have said..."You killed her! You bastards!"

SideshowJed

SideshowJed

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:30 PM

The threesome was definitely AMC. Dream sequence from the guy on the left. No, really.

I caught it, Spider Girl, but I didn't catch the significance until it got replayed on Kimmel.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:35 PM

I was angry that Guiding Light was shut out of all its awards. I can understand the "Best Show" thing, because it so isn't. But Grant Aleksander should have won, I think. The whole Best Actor category was tight, though.

Is it just me, or does it piss off anyone else when actors can't make it for their awards? You'd think Wayne Brady would have been there, what, since this would have been his last time receiving an award for daytime.

Buffy_Anne

Buffy_Anne

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:37 PM

I was talking on the phine through most of the show, but I squeed! with delight when Ellen won the award. All my peoples make fun of me, but I watch her show everyday and never walk away unsatisfied. I think she's adorable, and wish her nothing but the best. I can't wait to see her show Monday.

Also, glad to hear that Tony G won Lead Actor. I don't necessarily thin that he deserved it, but anyone that shuts out SonnyAsshat from receiving an award for screaming and throwing barware is OK with me.

ETA - I'll forgive Wayne Brady for missing the awards ceremony, simply because he provided me with enough comic fodder to last a year with his appearance on Chappelle's Show - "I'm Wayne Brady, bitch!" and "I make Bryant Gumble look like Malcolm X, huh motherf$#@er!"

Edited by Buffy_Anne, May 21, 2004 @ 11:43 PM.

alynn

alynn

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

I know! They showed the squicky psuedo-incest threesome dream from AMCc. Wasn't that JR's dream too? Ew.

SO glad that Tamara Braun, Maurice Benard, and GH for writing and show didn't win. Maybe there's hope for the academy after all, because man, did they all suck this past year.

I was disappointed that Eden Riegel didn't win. This was the second time I thought she was shafted when she deserved to win, the first time being Bianca's coming out.

I thought that Vanessa Marcil didn't do a very good job as the host. This ceremony was sort of light on entertainment value. They could have taken some time to do something to make it more interesting.

Also, I wonder why they didn't do an In Memoriam. Anna Lee wasn't the only person to die this year, was she? I thought they should have given out her lifetime achievement with the others, and then done a seperate tribute, but then that might have cut into the LOOK! SOAPS HAVE FIRES! montage.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:43 PM

Wasn't that JR's dream too?

Figures.

While Jennifer Finnigan is a great actress, I don't think her material was as good as Eden Riegel's this year. I mean, Eden's scene with her newborn baby made me CRY, and I have only cried twice in a decade of soap viewing. Jennifer's good and all, but blah blah she was totally boring. Oh, was this the Ridget year? Yeah, boring.

Judois

Judois

Fanatic

• Interests:Getting warnings for stupid reasons.

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:51 PM

How about that ass who makes the nice statement that his wife was pregnant and then said almost in the same breath "Good thing. I thought she was just gaining weight." What a prick. Blah.

Liked ATWT winning for writing! Yay! And "Roseanna" winning was cool as well. I can live with Y&R winning since at least it wasn't GH.

Loved loved loved Ellen winning for best talk show.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:56 PM

How about that ass who makes the nice statement that his wife was pregnant and then said almost in the same breath "Good thing. I thought she was just gaining weight." What a prick. Blah.

That would be Ty Treadway, who plays Troy on One Life To Live. Yes, he is a prick, but it's really not that noticeable when he's compared to his SoapTalk co-host, Lisa Rinna. Evil bitch hag woman.

Isaboe

Isaboe

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 11:57 PM

Was it just me or did Maurice seem pissed everytime his name got mentioned? Yeah, he was clapping and stuff but you could tell he wasn't all that thrilled.

I'm also glad the View hags won nothing. That will be fun snarking come Monday! ;P

Yay Ellen!

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 12:10 AM

Meredith Vieira had one hell of a screechy-nails-on-a-chalkboard singing voice on her, eh? My father actually came out of the other room to ask me "who the hell that broad was."

Ooh, you know who brought the ugly? Kassie DePaiva. Ugly dress, ugly hair...I mean, did Kellie Martin trick her into thinking there was a remake of Christy, or what?

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, May 22, 2004 @ 12:44 AM.

starrynight5

starrynight5

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 12:28 AM

I'm ecstatic that RH and CB won. They deserved those awards. But whoever the fuck gave Lead Actor to TG must be on crack. That guy hasn't acted since the Christmas ep.

music is my passion

music is my passion

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

I watched this solely for Ellen, as her show is the only daytime talk show I watch and I rarely watch soaps - I'm so glad she won Best Talk Show.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 2:04 AM

Was it just me or did Maurice seem pissed everytime his name got mentioned? Yeah, he was clapping and stuff but you could tell he wasn't all that thrilled.

Yeah, Maurice definitely had a combination of bored and bitch face going through the whole thing. I think he was itching to throw some barware at the betraying whores who gave Emmys to his far more deserving costars and not him. Every time they showed him, I couldn't help thinking how thoroughly unpleasant he looked, just the way he held himself, his facial expressions.... It was kind of disturbing to see someone receiving so much love and gratitude from his fans and costars and completely looking like he would rather be cleaning the toilets in prison.

dr gailey

dr gailey

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 2:05 AM

I started the first tread. I guess it got lost somewhere. Anyway I am happy that Ellen won for best talk show and that Wayne Brady won for best talk show host because they denied them bitches from The View to win.

I was happy for Rick, Tony and Chad. I hate Maurcie Bernanrd and am happy that he lost.

I am happy that General Hospital lost for best drama because this show has suffered from bad writing for a long time. If they stopped focusing on four people and the rest of the cast as a whole it would get better.

alynn

alynn

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 2:34 AM

But whoever the fuck gave Lead Actor to TG must be on crack. That guy hasn't acted since the Christmas ep.

Starry, I think that was what he submitted.

I was so relieved that GH didn't win for best writing--it was bad enough that they were nominated at all. What this proves, though, is that the emmy they won last year was totally won by Megan McTavish. Who would have ever thought she'd be the best part of any writing staff (although I have to admit that I did like her AMC very much until very recently, like about the last month or so, and that they were totally shafted out of the writing Emmy for last year).

Edited by alynn, May 22, 2004 @ 2:35 AM.

The XZFactor

The XZFactor

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, movies, writing

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 4:12 AM

So, so, SOOO happy for Chad Brannon. He so deserved to win. He seemed so nervous and hyper during his speech. It was cute. Loved how all of the GH actors, especially Tamara Braun, looked so happy for him. And hopefully this serves as a fuck you to Frons and Pruza for letting this amazing talent go.

Was also happy for Rick hearst. He obviously felt very honored to receive the award and his speech was touching.

But I also got a little scared there after they both won and then GH won for directing, that GH might win for best show. But thankfully they lost in all the right places. I think the best directing award can probably be chalked up to the amazing ensemble of actors GH misuses and ignores everyday.

Don't think AG deserved to win but his speech was funny and I wasn't really pulling for any of the other actors.

I wish Kathy Brier had won. Her reel was amazing. I'm also disappointed that NLG didn't win, but I had a feeling she wouldn't. I was just glad TB didn't win. But Eden Riegel was robbed, plain and simple. I'm sure JF is very good but no way did anyone but ER deserve that award.

I thought VM was a good host. Being a winner and a loser before I felt she was very respectful to the actors and let them have the spotlight, while also still managing to be herself and a little funny. I LOL when she intro'd Tyler Christopher as her ex-boyfriend. And her genuine and emotional reaction while delivering the tribute to Anna Lee is the only thing that made the tribute seem less like a half-assed tribute.

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 6:28 AM

Favorite part of the night:

Vanessa Marcil: ..."My ex boyfriend and his on screen girlfriend."

That takes balls, my friends. Huge ones.

I'm not upset about one single winner. Yes, there were a couple of instances where I'd be happier if someone else had won (Eden and Christian). Overall, everyone who took home the trophy deserved it.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 6:57 AM

I was so glad to see CB win I did my first SQUEEEE! ever here. When he thanked TC and NL, I was imagining him adding in his head "...for being so bad you made me look even better!"

RH's speech was touching, but I didn't hear him mention Rebecca Herbst. Whoops. Without her, Ric would have been a one-note "I hate Sonny!" character.

I was happy for TG's win because he had been able to spin a little gold from the steaming pile of elephant dung the writers churned out. And also that it meant the Pocket Mobster lost and the Drab Four was shut out entirely.

I cracked up when they were showing the montages for the Outstanding Younger Actress nominees and when they got to Alicia Leigh Willis they showed her doing a classic *Courtney eyeroll*.

The montage for GH in the "Best Show" category ended with the shot of Pwincess Lipgloss Emily screaming during the CE. My thought was, "That's how the rest of us feel seeing what Fronspruza and Their Little Dog Jill have done to our show."

Rachel Ames looked glorious in the Lifetime Achievements. Why aren't TIIC using this woman? Frances Reid looks amazing for 91. John Clarke looked like he was having a ball.

I thought for sure Eden was going to win. "Groundbreaking" character, rape/pregnancy storylines, I thought the judges couldn't resist. What a surprise.

And I was rooting for Kathy Brier, as not only did she do some amazing work this past year, but it would have been nice to see an actress who doesn't fit the conventional soap heroine mold get some props. But her hair was awful. Kathy, honey, Flock of Seagulls called. They want their hairdo back.

So thankful The View harpies didn't win. That show gives estrogen a bad name.

Did Linda Dano get cheek implants?

Edited by Ms Chicklet, May 22, 2004 @ 7:01 AM.

PunkyMouse

PunkyMouse

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 8:00 AM

I thought for sure Eden was going to win. "Groundbreaking" character, rape/pregnancy storylines, I thought the judges couldn't resist. What a surprise.

And I was rooting for Kathy Brier, as not only did she do some amazing work this past year, but it would have been nice to see an actress who doesn't fit the conventional soap heroine mold get some props. But her hair was awful. Kathy, honey, Flock of Seagulls called. They want their hairdo back.

You know, I understood going in that Kathy wasn't going to win, but it was still disappointing. Her task was far and away more difficult than any of the other actresses in her category, and Ilene Kristen, while wonderful, didn't really have Emmy-worthy material.Just how difficult is it for any actress to do the emotional work for a SL that involves having to give up a baby you adore? Even Jessica Morris could work up the tears for that one.

But to have to stand in front of a camera while people taunt you about your weight, dump garbage on you, make you oink like a pig and then goad you into singing? Then you cry and sing "America the Beautiful" at the same time without missing a note? Marcie's hazing, transitioning into Jen's wedding was one of the few episodes that made me cry last year, aside from Al's death and its aftermath, especially its impact on Gabrielle. Kathy had to dig deep and work from some painful, unfomfortable places, yet still keep it balanced enough to get through it. Knowing what Marcie had gone through, watching her standing there with Jen, trying to keep it together... I'm sorry, that was some powerful acting.

Much as I adore her, though, I'm LOL at the Flock of Seagulls comment. However, I loved her dress!

As for Eden... there is simply no justice. None. I was prepared for Kathy to lose to everyone's sweetheart, Cady. I was not prepared for Eden. What on earth were those judges smoking? What? You will never, ever convince me that ANYONE deserved that Emmy over Eden. Was it some sort of ABC backlash? They didn't want to give them too many trophies? She had a killer storyline, consistently turned in powerhouse performances, and was the odds-on favorite with both the fans and the press! Polls and speculation were all over the place on the other categories, but nobody ever picked anyone else but Eden for this one. Somebody please tell me WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

Chad Brannon... loved that he won. Rick Hearst... loved that he won. Tony Geary... okay whatever. Didn't have anything invested in this category.

Teagan

Teagan

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 8:33 AM

I was angry that Guiding Light was shut out of all its awards. I can understand the "Best Show" thing, because it so isn't. But Grant Aleksander should have won, I think.

Well, I don't watch the other soaps that were nominated so I can't compare, but I agree that GA has been amazing for a while now.

maritza

maritza

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 10:49 AM

All I can say is that Ty Treadway definitely spent the night on the couch after his callous remark about his wife. Did you notice that nobody thought that was funny?

Is Chad Brannon a born again Christian? Because he really was going on about Jesus Christ and how he was saved during his acceptance speech.

starrynight5

starrynight5

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

I'm also disappointed that NLG didn't win, but I had a feeling she wouldn't.

NLG's first clip, when she confessed that she faked DID to Cameron, was really good. But the other clip was just meh. It was from the episode where she's getting drunk at the Grille with Edward as "Dobson," while also trying to sabotage Skye's dinner with Ned and Judge Farmer. At one point, NLG chugs her scotch, then mugs for the camera by crossing her eyes. Painful. So I'm not surprised.

Kathy had to dig deep and work from some painful, unfomfortable places, yet still keep it balanced enough to get through it. Knowing what Marcie had gone through, watching her standing there with Jen, trying to keep it together... I'm sorry, that was some powerful acting.

I think you're right PunkyMouse, but someone commenting on the reels noted that KB's entry lacked some things that would make it much better than the others in her category. I think it was the lack of context or something, not sure exactly.

As for ER, I do think she's done amazing work this year, but without the context of what she submitted, I have no idea why she didn't win. If she submitted that near abortion scene, for instance, I could see her losing because she wasn't driving the scene. It was basically a collaborative effort between her and AM. Does anyone know what she submitted?

Anyway, she will have plenty of material to put on her reel next year. The birth scenes, the moment when she realized her baby was "dead" -- that's all going on the next Emmy reel, I'm sure.

ETA: Not sure if he's born again maritza, but CB is definitely hard-core Christian. He needs to get in touch with Mel Gibson, the only guy making huge money at the box office these days.

Edited by starrynight5, May 22, 2004 @ 10:58 AM.