Thundercats: Who You Callin’ a Ho?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

589 replies to this topic

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2005 @ 9:07 PM

Was there a Lunatic with a wheel on his stomach? I liked that character.

If I'm remembering right, something went wrong with Lion-O's cryo-pod or whatever it was that he and the rest of the 'cats (minus Jaga) were suspended in. So during their long space trek, he aged while the others stayed the same (and I think that's why Jaga "died" too. He had to stay awake and in the pilot's seat to get their ship to somewhere habitable, and I think he aged to the point where he was finished). I'll have to start watching the DVDs soon to know for sure.

Yeah, you're right. I just saw that ep. Weird how Jaga was the only one on their home planet allowed to wear clothes. Dirty old man must've decreed it himself.

So I skipped ahead to the last eps cause I'm impatient like that and Snarfer's already been introduced. I ask you, what is the point of this character? Someone described him as Scrappy Doo but he's all but 3 inches smaller than Snarf. Or should I say, "Uncle Ozzbert".

BTW, what's the deal with Tigro and Cheetara? they're always together.

Edited by skyegazer, Aug 11, 2005 @ 9:14 PM.

Petuni

Petuni

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

I used to think that my first was Holly Robinson in her 21 Jumpstreet days...now I know it was Cheetara.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2005 @ 6:02 PM

Apparently the sound issues aren't present on all the released copies of the DVD set. And some who have gotten the defective set don't care about that one episode not having a soundtrack 'cause it's only on the 5.1 audio track, not on the regular 2.0 Stereo (I guess that's fine for me since I don't have surround sound). Warner Brothers still hasn't gotten back to the guys at TVshowsOnDVD.com who contacted them, nor has their help e-mail replied to any fans, so...it's up to you whether you wanna buy these or not. I've owned mine for almost two weeks now, I think it's time to finally watch a disc or two.

News (from Toonzone.net)
"Animation HQ reports that a remake of the 80's animated classic Thundercats is in the works at Warner Brothers. The show's new look will be similar to The Batman -- edgy and anime-inspired.

Pre-production is reportedly ongoing. The show should be ready for broadcast sometime in late 2006."

Can anyone find the AnimationHQ article Toonzone is referring to? It's not on the front page of their news and I can't find it in the archives.

Why does everything have to be "anime-inspired" these days? Isn't it about time that trend ended? When I want anime, I rent/buy anime. More North American-style cartoons again, please, anyone who's willing to make them. There was nothing wrong with the designs of the original Thundercats series (maybe some of the outfits need reworking. Or better yet, give them a revolving wardrobe, though I realize that would probably just lead to more animation mistakes in any new series). The animation itself could be a lot more fluid, the voice acting could definitely be improved upon, but there really wasn't much wrong with the Thundercats from what I remember.

skyegazer said:

Weird how Jaga was the only one on their home planet allowed to wear clothes. Dirty old man must've decreed it himself.

LOL...never considered that. Heh. I think it was just a status thing though. And probably just because the character design work was thinking ahead to him being a ghost and they never bothered to think up a non-clothed version for their short time on the ship.

Edited by Kris_AB, Aug 28, 2005 @ 6:06 PM.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 12:54 PM

I think most people's favorite Thundercat was Cheetera. The name alone...

I liked Panthro, too. I didn't know Grandpa Huxtable played his voice. Hee.

Snarf grated. Even when I was a kid.

Mumm-ra was definitely more cheesy than scary. "Transform this decaying form into Mumm-ra - THE EVERLIVING!!" Hee. One thing I always wondered - if he was a mummy, he already was undead, right? Why would he have to become Mumm-Ra to everlive? And if becoming Mumm-Ra was just a matter of being powerful, why not just remain as Mumm-Ra? Did the evil batteries run out after a while, and therefore he'd have to turn off the Mumm-ra and become regular ol' Mumm again?

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2005 @ 3:15 PM

That seemed to be the gist of it. During the transformation, he called upon the "Ancient spirits of evil" (who I think sometimes spoke out loud, yeah?). I guess the spirits weren't willing to supply him full-time, just when he needed it to serve them well.

kforr981

kforr981

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 3:06 PM

Why does everything have to be "anime-inspired" these days? Isn't it about time that trend ended? When I want anime, I rent/buy anime. More North American-style cartoons again, please, anyone who's willing to make them. There was nothing wrong with the designs of the original Thundercats series (maybe some of the outfits need reworking. Or better yet, give them a revolving wardrobe, though I realize that would probably just lead to more animation mistakes in any new series). The animation itself could be a lot more fluid, the voice acting could definitely be improved upon, but there really wasn't much wrong with the Thundercats from what I remember.

I don't know, Kris_AB, but I agree. Why can't there be a variety of animation styles? Even though you're right about the voices and outfits, I'd be disappointed if a new Thundercats wasn't at least SOMEWHAT cheesy. I love how Liono would self-narrate ("I'm . . . slipping. I. Am. Trying. To. Hold On. I'm. Losing. My. Grip. etc . . . ).

My favorite Thundercats were Tygra and Panthro. They had the coolest weapons.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2005 @ 3:43 PM

My favorite Thundercats were Tygra and Panthro. They had the coolest weapons.

Same here. Speaking of Tygra, he stared in the most hilarious Thunder Cats episode called Garden of delight. In it, he winds up in a cave and meets a girl who gives him some fruit that, when eaten makes him fee like he can fly. But shortly afterwards the effects wear off and Tygra starts to go through withdrawl. LOL The best part is when Srarf and Panthro see how messy Tygra's rooms gotten (there's food all over the place) and Panthro comments on how lazy Tygra's gotten.

Anyway, it was all Mumm-ra's evil plan, so Tygra would have to steal the Sword from the Thundercats to keep getting his fix. But at the end he learns that Drugs are bad, mmmkay.

I forgot that cartoons in the 80's had preachy and not so subtle episodes like that. I hope the set also has the one where the T-cats learn tolerance. That was the one with the ugly guy who ends up being good and the cute creatures that turn out to be evil.

ubi

ubi

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 11:36 AM

Robot Chicken did a hysterical parody of Thundercats. Snarf got nabbed in the back alley of a Chinese restaurant, and Cheetara and Lion-O lived in a trailer park surrounded by cats.

I thought those were their children?

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 2:18 PM

I was wrong several posts ago when I guessed that Lion-O aged due to his cryo-pod malfunctioning. Jaga says in the pilot ("Exodus") that even though their aging would be slowed considerably, they'd still age a bit. You'd think that wouldn't account for why Kit and Kat stay small, but then I'm pretty sure they never say what a Thundercats' lifespan is, what their stages of growth are like. If Lion-O was a bit older (and it does seem that way) and he was on the verge of puberty anyway, a few years worth of growth (or however long it takes for a Thundercat to go from pre-teen-looking to comparable-to-human-20-something) might take him from 12-ish to 18 or so. And if the twins were only maybe 6 or 7, it's conceivable that they aged to 13 year olds (no height difference though after arriving on Third Earth. I think it's just that the writers didn't think through the aging thing very well).

I forgot that they initially escaped Thundara with several other smaller ships surrounding the big one that the main characters and the Sword of Omens were on. I'd have to freeze-frame it to check, but I'm pretty sure there were at least six and maybe as many as nine. The mutants blowed all of them up on-screen. That's potentially a lotta dead Thundercats (though you'd think there'd be less people on board the smaller ships, since the flagship contained only the eight main cast members). Factor in Jaga's death, whoever was left on Thundera when it blew, and I bet "Exodus" has the highest body count of the series.

What exactly happened to Jaga anyway? Did he turn to dust? He kinda just disappears out of his clothes and they slump on his seat. And does anyone know why the red jewel in his bracelet glowed before he passed?

Wouldn't mind reading the original script of this episode to see if any of the descriptions explain some of these mysteries and clear up some of the vagueness.

Man, instead of depriving the 'cats of genitals, they could've just showed them from the waist up before Jaga gave them clothes.

Is Lion-O's heritage explained at all in the course of the series? If he's Lord of the Thundercats, where were his parents? (I'm pretty sure they bring his father into it eventually, right? At least in a dream or flashback?)

kforr981

kforr981

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 3:43 PM

I forgot that they initially escaped Thundara with several other smaller ships surrounding the big one that the main characters and the Sword of Omens were on. I'd have to freeze-frame it to check, but I'm pretty sure there were at least six and maybe as many as nine. The mutants blowed all of them up on-screen. That's potentially a lotta dead Thundercats (though you'd think there'd be less people on board the smaller ships, since the flagship contained only the eight main cast members).

IIRC, there were other survivors, which accounted for the newer Thundercats later in the series. I also remember Liono's father being Claudius or something. He and Jaga did some Obi-Wan-type thing where they spoke to him from some other dimension.

Edited by kforr981, Sep 1, 2005 @ 3:44 PM.

glory85

glory85

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 7:34 PM

Oh man, I loved this show as a kid. My favorite characters were Panthro, because he was clearly Black, and Mumm-ra, just because I thought he was cheesy and over the top even when I was like, six. Tigro was awesome too because he had a sense of humor. And I wanted to be Cheetara. Ha, gotta love those old school cartoons.

reprintgoddess

reprintgoddess

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2005 @ 7:09 PM

Thundercats was my favorite cartoon as a kid. I remember the day it aired (after school). My friend and I were all set to do our dance to the Batman theme when Thundercats came on. We were confused, but the show had us hooked in minutes. Cheetara was my favorite (probably cuz I'm female). Snarf always irritated me, that voice, ugh. We used to play Thundecats and run up and down my driveway doing the Thundercats call, my dad wanted to strangle us. I also had the action figures and collected the comics (think I still have the comics somewhere). I remember when the Thundercats movie aired during primetime, introducing the new characters.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2005 @ 3:37 AM

This link takes you to a page on Warner Brothers' site that provides info for trading in your incomplete Disc 1 for a proper copy. All you have to do is call the toll free 1-800 number and give them your name and address. They'll send a self-addressed, pre-postage-paid envelope to you. You stuff Disc 1 in there, send it to them, wait 4-6 weeks, and then you've got musical score on the second episode, "The Unholy Alliance", instead of dialogue with silence behind it.

That's about the easiest way I've ever seen a company provide a way to return and exchange a disc. When I returned my defective ReBoot Season 4 to Anchor Bay Entertainment, they made people buy their own suitable mailer and pay the postage to send it.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2005 @ 7:50 PM

People have been receiving their replacements of Disc 1 for the Thundercats Season 1 Part 1 DVD set this week. Got mine today. Took 'em three to four months, but Warner Brothers customer support did came through. I guess I'll buy Season 1 Part 2 after all. I know that set just came out this week (alongside another animation great--Gargoyles Season 2 Part 1), but has anyone gone through it completely? I need confirmation that there're no defects on that one before I part with my cash.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2005 @ 11:40 PM

I fell in love with this show when it was on Toonami's afternoon rotation.

As cheesey as he is, I loved Mumm-ra. My favorite thing about him? His dog was named Maa-Mutt.

I have season one DVDs on my Christmas Wishlist.

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2005 @ 12:49 AM

A lot of fans seem to hate Maa-Mutt. I can see how having an ugly-cute bulldog-type pet kinda detracts from Mumm-Ra's intimidation-factor. Can't remember how I felt about him. Guess I'll find out when I start watching my DVDs soon.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2005 @ 11:03 AM

One thing I always wondered - if he was a mummy, he already was undead, right? Why would he have to become Mumm-Ra to everlive? And if becoming Mumm-Ra was just a matter of being powerful, why not just remain as Mumm-Ra? Did the evil batteries run out after a while, and therefore he'd have to turn off the Mumm-ra and become regular ol' Mumm again?

"Mumm"...heh.

IIRC, that is the reason exactly. The caped, buff Mumm-Ra form could not be maintained indefinitely. At some point, the power of the Ancient Spirits of Evil used to assume that form would run out, and he would have to revert to shambling, hunchbacked Mumm-Ra and rest in his sarcophagus for an extended period of time.

And for the record, it's Tygra. I remember because it annoyed me that he was the only male Thundercat with a feminine name.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2005 @ 11:50 AM

I wonder if Panthro's character was black as a shout-out. You know, like the Black Panthers.

Snarf annoyed me to no end. Perhaps I was supposed to like him, but no.

Edited by Make It So, Jan 9, 2006 @ 3:38 PM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

BTW, what's the deal with Tigro and Cheetara? they're always together.

I always thought these two were a couple, and that Wily Kit & Kat were their kids. Yeah, I don't know where I got that from either.

At age 9, I thought Wily Kat's hair was really, really cool.

john mora

john mora

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2006 @ 7:40 PM

The caped, buff Mumm-Ra form could not be maintained indefinitely. At some point, the power of the Ancient Spirits of Evil used to assume that form would run out, and he would have to revert to shambling, hunchbacked Mumm-Ra and rest in his sarcophagus for an extended period of time.

That would also explain why Snarf didn't remain Snarf-Ra in that one episode where he received the power of the Ancient Spirits of Evil.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 6:49 PM

Same here. Speaking of Tygra, he stared in the most hilarious Thunder Cats episode called Garden of delight. In it, he winds up in a cave and meets a girl who gives him some fruit that, when eaten makes him fee like he can fly. But shortly afterwards the effects wear off and Tygra starts to go through withdrawl.

Hee! I just watched this ep. over the weekend and I laughed my ass off. I would submit that ep for a Tubey's Kids recap. This show goes from really boring to snarkably good, there's little in-between. I think it's aged much better than Jem, which I couldn't even finish watching. Oh, and I hate Snarf. I didn't see/ don't remember the early eps from childhood, so I didn't realize that Lion-O had prematurely aged.

I knew I recognized Panthro's voice, but I just couldn't place it. Earle Hyman sounds a bit like Morgan Freeman, but I knew that he was too big for this show.

Edited by jackiecarr, Mar 20, 2006 @ 6:52 PM.

grimy

grimy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 11:17 AM

I loved how Cheetara ran with her claws out. Sometimes I would run just like that. I also thought it was bull when she got beat by Lion-o. Maybe it was just me but how his sword just sat there all little, like really tiny, then when things got heated it got all big. Just sayin, I didn't need that innuendo as a kid, thanks.

Oh and "syynaryf" annoyed, if only because he was like a cat that rolled in dusty carpet and said "syynaryf". Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde = Asrael/Snarf

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 2:27 AM

You'll be happy to know in a skit on Robot Chicken Snarf was dragged into the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant, never to be seen again.

grimy

grimy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 9:16 PM

I bet he'd be quite a meal.

ulquiorra

ulquiorra

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 3:23 PM

I doubt he'd be very appetizing. He looks part lizard...well, his tail and underbelly do anyway.

Edited by ulquiorra, Mar 23, 2006 @ 3:27 PM.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

Vh-1 just ran a commercial for the second season DVD (34 episodes on 6 discs), saying it comes out on Tuesday (April 18th).

Edited by Point To It, Apr 14, 2006 @ 11:24 PM.

SpiitakeMshroom

SpiitakeMshroom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 11:59 PM

All Panthero needed was a cigarette hangin out his mouth when he fixed the car.

Badwitch

Badwitch

Stalker

• Interests:Depeche Mode, cats, Buffy

Posted May 23, 2006 @ 1:55 PM

Ah, the Tundercats. I was in the 9th grade when they came out. My memory is rather shot now, so I really can't think of anything that really sticks out, besides the drugs ep. and the 2 eps. that Lion-O was taking those trials to be an adult, or king or whatever. Also the Excalibur ep., with Mum-ra pertending to be Kind Arthur.

I liked Willa. It's interresting how they get a gravely voice for her, instead of something sugar and sweet.

I didn't catch many eps. of the new Thundercats. Though how %$@*ing stupid was it that some Berbils just land as Tundera was blowing up to save 3 Thundercats. Made more sence in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. And that that plot point bothered me, considering it's a cartoon, you can figure it was way stupid.

But I did buy the comic books. for a good 3 comics they had a character named Lynxana (something like that) who was a survivor from Tundera because she was exiled for trying to overthrow the government. And she was a bounty hunter. There were some good stories. Until they decided to just do teleplays. That sucked.

Edited by Badwitch, May 23, 2006 @ 1:59 PM.

Morrius

Morrius

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 8:26 AM

Please let this be a lie.

http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=24232

It seems that Thundercats may be next in line to get the Loonatics treatment.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2006 @ 10:05 AM

Wow, way for them to completely trash what was good about a show. I really hope it's not true - it sounds more like Josie & The Pussycats than Thundercats.