Thundercats: Who You Callin’ a Ho?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

589 replies to this topic

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Man, not only does Lion-o lose the tech crystal, but Mumm-Ra is boning the chick he had a crush on.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I wonder if Mumma-Ra the Ever-Living is the Ever-Lasting in the bedroom...

Arcadiasw

Arcadiasw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

That amazingly tall panther lady that was LionO's ancestor's girlfriend seemed fairly competent.

Sadly, she was featured twice. Had she been a regular, she wouldn't have been competant. Look at how Cheetara has been portrayed after she got with Tygra and well Pumyra, you saw what the writers did with her. With the series over, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Not surprised the show is cancelled. It took too long for the show to get its footing. Well, it never did but it was on its way with the second half of the first season. I think the show would've gotten a second season if the characters were written consistently, intelligently with backstories of the characters like Tygra and the Kittens airing in the first half of the season as opposed to the second half. We never got Cheetara's backstory. We know she was an orphan who joined the clergy in a five minute flashback but we never learned why she became an orphan. She is a major character of the show. If we learned what happened with Tygra's Dad as well as his kind and Lion-O's parents, why couldn't we see her parents or her people? Some of the allure of Cheetara from the 80s was erased in this series as it was clear the writers weren't going to give Cheetara a Sixth Sense and her brain disappeared after she got with Tygra.

They dragged Tygra's hate/jealousy of Lion-O getting the throne too long. That should've been settled in the first half of the season and everyone show know what Tygra did twice. It seems only Lion-O and Tygra knows Tygra almost killed him twice and yet Tygra gets a pass but Lion-O was always hammered on his decisions and his leadership. It was overdone. Lion-O had too many episodes focused on him in the first half of the season and hardly anything focused on the other characters. With the writers given a limited number of episodes to start the series and draw the viewers in hopes of getting a second season, did we really have to see episodes like The Duelist and the Drifter, Ramlak Rising? The triangle with Lion-O/Cheetara/Tygra was horribly done. I hate love triangles but if the writers wanted one where Cheetara ended up with Tygra, it could've been done a whole lot better.

What happened with Grune? Did the writers decided to leave him in the Astral Plane with no return? If Mumm-Ra could resurrect Pumyra, he could've done the same for Grune. Didn't see Slithe as much in the second half and the upgraded Monkian, Jackalman and Vultureman should've been in the first half.

Ratings consistently dropped in the first half and I think that is where the show lost most of its viewers and a chance for a second season. There are people I know who stopped watching the show after the first half ended in Novemeber as they were fed up with the characterizations of the Thundercats. When I mentioned the show coming back in March, they had no plans of watching it. How many more did the same? If the episodes had stronger writing in the beginning as opposed to the second half, we would've been talking about our hopes and storylines for the second season and not its cancellation.

Man, not only does Lion-o lose the tech crystal, but Mumm-Ra is boning the chick he had a crush on

He's looking at the wrong woman to be his queen. Looks like he should be waiting on WilyKit to grow up.

I wonder if Mumma-Ra the Ever-Living is the Ever-Lasting in the bedroom...

He's gonna need to call on the Ancient Spirits to do that. Frail, bandaged boney Mumm-Ra probably won't get the job done.

Edited because I remembered what happened to Grune.

Edited by Arcadiasw, Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:14 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

He's looking at the wrong woman to be his queen. Looks like he should be waiting on WilyKit to grow up.

It feels like they might have been setting that up in the last scene.

Arcadiasw

Arcadiasw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

but then she strung Lion-O along by his jock, and that was damn evil

Pumyra wasn't the only one.

Honestly, it's not like Lion-O, Cheetarah and Tygra left the ruins to jet off to a posh sanctuary. In Pumyra's defense, they could have at least tried to look for survivors

In their defense, and I'm not high on defending them, but I assume they thought all survivors were enslaved since no one revealed themselves before they left the next morning. The Cats went into hiding at night and probably waited until daybreak to come out, create a memorial for Claudus, gather what they needed and leave. I assume they did try to look for survivors which could've happened off screen. Thanks for not showing us that writers!

Once again: why is CN pulling the plug? Could the producers put out DVDs, a la Futurama? We're cooking something good after two seasons, and it's a shame to throw things out now.

Cartoon Network has been really fickle with shows for years now. If you don't start off strong and consistent, you're gonna get canned. They're not gonna allow the show to build. They probably gave Thundercats until it's mid-season finale to decide whether to keep the show or not. The drop in ratings and low toy sales only aided in their decision to drop it. Why the show started with with thirteen weak episodes in comparison to the stronger thirteen they had towards the end I have no idea. I don't see strong DVD sales for this show sadly. It won't be like Futurama or Family Guy

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I can't even blame CN for canceling this show. Unlikeable characters and a meandering plot turned off too many viewers. They improved somewhat, but not exactly by leaps and bounds.

Pumyra, I guess the only explanation for her behavior is that she was just a total psycho to start with? I guess she and Mumm-Ra were just lucky that Lion-O is used to everyone treating him like shit and didn't just say, "Okay, you want to stay in the slave pits that's your call, good luck. Or not, I don't care. I'm the freaking king, I don't need to take your abuse."

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

I knew I didn't like Pumyra. Haha. But I do like when there's a twist I didn't see coming. I thought she was just crazy, not crazy and evil.

Ok I don't like Tygra at all, but I did love the smug-ass look on his face as he stole Vultureman's plane and was all "since this one is dented, I'll take it." Heh, you go, Tygra!

I'm in the camp for Kit for queen. She'd get my vote.

Sad to hear that was the series finale. I'll miss this show.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

As I recall, the lizards were still plundering Thundara when Lion-O and company left. As for Pumiya, since she's with Mumm-Ra I suppose the remaining cats from the slave mines are dead. Unless he decides to let her rule over them.

Cheetarah was perhaps the character with the most potential but I agree it got lost when she was reduced to being Tygra's girlfriend.

I don't mind conflict but the nonstop bitching and pyscho behavior of the characters couldn't have done much to help them. One episode has everyone accepting Lion-O's leadership. A few episodes later, everyone is criticizing and undermining him. I'd also like to add that The Trials of Lion-O storyline was a major bust.

Edited by benteen, Jun 17, 2012 @ 6:07 PM.

Arcadiasw

Arcadiasw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I doubt Mumm-Ra will let Pumyra rule over the Thunderians. I bet he would've killed her once her usefulness has been fulfilled.

I think Lion-O didn't take charge soon enough. As soon as Tygra complained, Lion-O should've gave Tygra a chance to rule and watch him fall on his face which Tygra did during Lion-O's trials when he finally had a chance to rule. And if Tygra still complain tell him to go off on his own if he thought he could still do better.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

As for Pumiya...

Pumyra.

Cheetarah was perhaps the character with the most potential but I agree it got lost when she was reduced to being Tygra's girlfriend.

Cheetara. But yes, I agree with your thought. When Tygra was in the air, Panthro and Pumyra were in tanks, and Lion-O was using the Sword, where was Cheetara during that scene? They didn't show her involvement in the fight until a few minutes had passed. What was she doing, playing around with her staff? What a waste of a good character.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I DVR'd the season and just caught up on the episodes and was shocked that Pumyra was a traitor, I actually liked her character but I wasn't a fan of the Lion-O crush. I was actually looking forward to what happened next, now I will never find out as I just found out this series is cancelled, a pity because I did like it. I do agree that the season had some weak episodes but the last few were good.

just checking

just checking

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

now I will never find out as I just found out this series is cancelled

That's not written in stone yet.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 6:16 AM

Been watching the 2011 show on Toonami. They just introduced Kaynar, and darned if his lines don't sound exactly like The Joker. Stuff like: "At least I'll have the voices in my head to talk to." And that great big toothy smile of his just adds to the impression. Now all they need is for Mark Hamill to do the voice.

Also, a related motivator here.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 2:24 AM

Looks like Thundercats is still on the minds of the gang at Robot Chicken. Here's a sketch that aired a few weeks ago. Another sketch aired tonight, focusing on the female TCats in estrus. I'll post the link when [as] puts it up tomorrow. Highly disturbing. Oh, and they're still going with the old-school version of the show.

ETA: Here's the clip from last night. Not for the faint of heart.

Edited by Lantern7, Feb 11, 2013 @ 1:44 PM.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

"Mount Plun-dar"? "The Curse of Rat-tilla"? Quick! Someone help me find the eyes that just rolled out of my head, before my cat gets to them.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

A comic relief episode where Mumm-Ra shows up? Works for me. Seeing Tigra prancing through the meadow and picking flowers was worth the price of admission all by itself, let alone all the side effects that the "miracle elixir" inflicts on people.

The Mumm-Ra/Lucy fight immediately made me thing of Mothra fighting Godzilla.

A motivator.

Clockstomper24

Clockstomper24

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 3:02 AM

Here's why they cancelled it, to replace it with a rip-off from the ever popular Lego brand behind it:

Legend of Chima

Edited by Clockstomper24, Mar 17, 2013 @ 3:03 AM.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

I don't know, I just watched that 30 second clip and no one tried to put the blame for all their problems on the red headed lion and there was hardly any attempted fratricide from the of the "heroes" at all.

Doesn't seem much like Thundercats to me.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 2:38 AM

I'm trying to figure out why Lion-O had trouble grasping the idea of the next gem being up in the sky. He has the memories of the stuff that happened way back when on Mum-Ra's space ship, so "stuff in the sky" shouldn't be a new concept to him.

Motivator.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

One last motivator...unless the show somehow manages to magically get renewed after two years or so.