Countdown with Keith Olbermann

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8378 replies to this topic

contrapuntal

contrapuntal

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 12:51 AM

I didn't think it was dumbed down so much as it just showcased the hip, snarky quality of the show...which I've always thought was the spoonful of sugar that grabs people who wouldn't watch if it was just an aggrieved rant all the time. Like myself, for example. I love the political stuff too, of course, but if the show gets some extra eyeballs who aren't already in the choir, then that can only be good!

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 1:12 AM

Yes, that's how I saw it, too. The Oddball segment was good, of course, and Joel Hale was funny. Mo Rocca, not so much. He wasn't bad, but Hale was better. The reporters both had pretty pointed segments.

Cris Collinsworth sounded as if he was ready to come to Limbaugh's defense when he questioned his being named, "Worst Person in the World." Or maybe he was just giving Keith some grief. Costas came to his defense, though, or at least gets the show.

I wonder how Mr and Mrs Middle America (who probably wouldn't go near MSNBC) would have reacted to one of Keith's special comments? The one calling for Shrub and Cheney to resign for example.

I was surprised but happy that he at least mentioned the Special Comments. It might get people searching for them online.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 1:13 AM

just a shame Keith couldn't have nailed Coultergeist (especially for her latest Clinton aide/suicide rant) and thus produce the perfect WPitW trifecta. The broadcast seemed overstuffed with the snark...but if it yields a few more regular viewers, all the better. It will be interesting to see the ratings tomorrow (will Kieth beat out "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader")...as well as all the right wing nut's reaction...

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 9:39 AM

KO's commentary on Vick from the half-time show here. Unlike his Countdown Special Comments, this one is brief.

Although the content of the Sunday night special was largely culled from Friday night's show, I thought it was a swell toe-dip into network primetime. A bit of it was more expository than we regular CD viewers need, but probably appropriate for newbies. I missed some of the more pointed puns of the subtitles, which in this 'cast tended to the mild, and it was funny to see KO try to backpedal from Mo's 'assless chaps' mention. It sounded to me as though there was a touch of a swelling of pride in his voice when he tagged out to commercial with "You are watching Countdown on (beat) NBC"

But after a week of non-Keith shows, it was indeed refreshing to have the rapid-fire writing and delivery back in the saddle.

And to risk being redundant, the Alarmed Rodent vidclip does. Not. Get. Old.

trojanchick99

trojanchick99

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

Color me pleasantly surprised to see Countdown on NBC. I absolutely love KO and can see why he toned it down a bit for the big network. KO and Kevin McHale is so full of win. Is this going to be a weekly thing?

Edited by trojanchick99, Aug 27, 2007 @ 9:11 PM.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 7:32 AM

I didn't quite understand what Keith was getting at with the Vick commentary last night. Was he saying that I, as someone who hates Vick (and all animal abusers), should hope he gets out of jail quickly so that he can try to get his job back, at which time he'll be vilified by PETA? What I want is for Vick to be punished to the full extent of the law and of the rules of the NFL. Losing his reputation and some money isn't enough, just like it wasn't enough for Scooter Libby. And I'm afraid the public (in which I include myself) has a short memory and quickly moves on to the next big headline, so I'm not at all sure there will be much outcry when Vick returns to the NFL. I'm not against giving people second chances; I just think that some crimes deserve punishment in the legal sense.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 10:19 AM

I'd heard the tape of that beauty pageant girl earlier in the day, but seeing the video, with her deer-in-the-headlights eyes and her troweled on make-up, well, that just added a whole 'nother layer. I despair for her. (and "the Iraq.")

In ratings news, apparently KO came in third in the timeslot for his network hour on Sunday. This isn't gangbusters, but I've heard that not every affiliate carried the program (and some that did listed it as a Dateline), so the numbers may be misleading.

Edited by attica finch, Aug 28, 2007 @ 10:19 AM.

Divaah46

Divaah46

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

I think what Keith was saying in his Vick coment was: Let Vick serve his legal punishment and his NFL punishment, but don't punish him forever. Other Topic: I too enjoyed seeing Countdown on NBC, and wondered what the Major Network Audience thought of him.

contrapuntal

contrapuntal

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 12:49 PM

I think he was also saying that having to debase himself for a job as third-string quarterback for a European team -- which is likely what he's going to have to do when he first gets out -- is going to be its own punishment for a guy as cocky and arrogant as Vick.

Lyle Lyle

Lyle Lyle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 1:58 PM

some that did listed it as a Dateline

Mine did until the last minute -- which made it confusing since it was preceded by a Dateline, so which one was actually Countdown? Thankfully, they got the grid updated at the last minute.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 2:14 PM

I didn't quite understand what Keith was getting at with the Vick commentary last night.

I was having trouble following Keith's logic, also.

However, I take great satisfaction in thinking that ol' Mike is gonna get to experience the rapestand first hand in prison, and that will be punishment enough for me.

Oh, wait, losing his NFL career and having to pay back that signing bonus, and pay for the care of the dogs that were rescued from his property, AND the rape stand experience while serving his prison sentence. Yeah, that's a pretty good punishment.

The public has a short attention span, so does the NFL. How many great football players who aren't raging assholes do you think are going to come out of college in the next 2-3 years, and Mike will be lucky if he gets into a stadium to put on a vendors' uniform and sell peanuts and beer.

But he knows Jesus now, so it should all work out just fine. A lot of those dogs know Jesus now, too, Mike, thanks to your "immature" behavior.

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 3:20 PM

Grommet, I agree.

I think Keith is stretching (if not completely off) on this one. First of all, the public does indeed have a short memory and that, combined with the fact there is always some bozo out there who cares more about his own pride and pocketbook than decency, makes it HIGHLY unlikely that Vick is going to have to "beg" anyone for a job in the NFL once he gets out of prison. Sure, there will be protest groups that follow him around, but cable news will have moved well on from it's coverage of all this by then, so it won't be THAT embarrassing. (Plus, as a pro athlete he won't even have to interact with the public.)

On Keith's second point, that if Vick will (would) just confess and apologize, we'll forgive him. Uh, no. I'm not in the habit of "forgiving" apologies that people are forced into just to get the heat of their backs, which is exactly what Keith was advocating for him to do and what happened. Vick has no remorse over anything other than getting caught - something even more apparent after that little charade yesterday. But then last night, Keith actually seemed to believe that the apology was genuine? WTF? He cannot be that naive.

Vick is sorry alright, but he's not apologetic or contrite.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2007 @ 4:22 PM

No NFL miscreant has been so vilified while an active player. Not gun-play and trouble-at-strip clubs veteran Pacman Jones. Not serial batterer and general trouble-maker Lawrence Phillips. Not turned-state’s-evidence-against-his-friends-in-a-murder-trial Ray Lewis. Not a drunk driver who killed a mother, Leonard Little, in 1998 and was then arrested anew for driving drunk in 2004.

When I read this in the transcript of his comment, I thought that he was trying to say that this story has captured nationwide attention, whereas players who have killed and battered human beings didn't receive the same level of notoriety. I'm not at all sure about that, though. Or Keith was saying that Vick may view his sentence as an interruption in his life, but that he once he's out, and isn't able to restore his life to what it was, the full reality will hit him.

It was amusing that almost none of the comments on the video clip that attica finch linked to talked about Vick. They were all about Keith, and whether he had any business coming back to sports, or any business doing news.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:28 AM

While both stories are a bit lacking in the humor department, I wish CD would break out the apology reel for Micheal Vick and Senator Craig (sorry, blanking on his name at the moment). *sigh* I miss the CD of yesteryear when their was just a little bit more...uh, lightheartedness. I guess time does weather all things though.

Flaregun

Flaregun

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the apology reel again, and Sen. Craig's bizarre "I apologize for ever admitting I did anything wrong" apology is certainly one for the ages, but I don't miss the Countdown of yesteryear that would just incessantly run those brilliant little montage tapes over & over again as pure naked filler. I don't mind the once-a-month Oddball revue as the final segment, but a couple of years ago they were running those "apology hall of fame" and "Salute to Florida" and the like pieces several times each month and it was just plain lazy.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:21 PM

True, but, dang if they weren't amusing. YMMV though. Its actually kinda hard to pay attention to Keith now (as compared to then) because he's so darn serious. Plus, the thread and show were really alive then. I guess I am just old, at 20. :) *returns to watching today's CD rerun*

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Aug 29, 2007 @ 11:25 PM.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 4:13 AM

The depressing thing about the Craig story is that it stopped the coverage of the Attorney General's resignation cold, even on Keith's show.

Michael Vick's apology would be another good one. "I'm sorry I did whatever it was you people are all mad at me for, and, oh yeah, I found Jesus." That's not an exact quote, but it captures the gist. I have to admit that the last few times they ran the apology reel, I fast-forwarded through it.

I would have preferred a Senator Larry Craig puppet theater, but I can see it would be hard to convey the foot-tapping with a popsicle stick. The wig with the fake bald spot was suitably cheesy, though.

Edited by Orion7, Aug 30, 2007 @ 4:13 AM.

summatime

summatime

Channel Surfer

• Interests:The Internet, DVR, all technology that makes my life easier, and I actually love my job in marketing.

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

Olbermann had the lamest segment I've ever seen last night: He reenacted Craig's bathroom scene to the tune of Dragnet. It reminded me of those lame skit shows where they try to play off current events but totally whiff at comedy. I get my news from legit sources and my comedy from shows that are actually funny.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 8:59 PM

He reenacted Craig's bathroom scene to the tune of Dragnet.

See I loved that skit, I watched it the first time and then recorded it when it aired at midnight. I personally don't watch KO for news, I watch it for weird antics like that. News is what CNN is for, IMO.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

He reenacted Craig's bathroom scene to the tune of Dragnet.

I was only disappointed because it wasn't Puppet Theater.

mharvey816

mharvey816

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 5:23 PM

I love Dragnet so I was especially happy to see the reenactment, my love of puppet theater not withstanding.

contrapuntal

contrapuntal

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 31, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

Keith makes a special appearance at the end of The Soup this weekend, delivering half of a Special Comment with Joel McHale. The gist is that Britney and Lindsay need to get their shit together. It will re-run several dozen times over the weekend on E!

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 1:50 AM

Those of you who saw the show Friday night know that a German TV station asked to air the reenactment. That's funny and a little frightening.

Also, Keith's Thursday night show was the highest-rated cable news show for the night. Now, O'Reilly was on vacation and had a substitute host, and much of America is on vacation and not watching much of anything, but it was good to hear.

The best part of the evening, though, was one of the staff coming on camera to tug on Keith's hair to prove it's not a toupee. It's not!

Edited by Orion7, Sep 1, 2007 @ 1:51 AM.

Uncle Bmore

Uncle Bmore

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 2:11 AM

"At least I'm still in politics." Keith Olbermann, August 31, 2007

The mask slips a bit, eh?

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 9:38 AM

While KO was funny on the Soup, I kind of wished he hadn't ended it with Good Night and Good Luck. I feel that sign-off should be used in a more formal, serious setting.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2007 @ 1:15 PM

samsnee, perhaps considering the content of the "Special Comment" on The Soup it'd've been better for him to return to the "keep your knees loose."

HalfMoon

HalfMoon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 6:52 AM

I loved that Dragnet take off. When the cop showed his badge, the Senator probably just said "no" in a matter-of-fact manner, but CD made it a long plaintive "noooooooo", hah hah! Anyone notice that the undercover cop in the re-enactment looked a lot like Anderson Cooper? Some subliminal messaging going on here, perhaps?

wish liszt

wish liszt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2007 @ 12:43 PM

Anyone notice that the undercover cop in the re-enactment looked a lot like Anderson Cooper? Some subliminal messaging going on here, perhaps?

Never crossed my mind. I thought he looked a lot like the actual cop, though. But there wasn't some kind of casting call for AC look-alikes because those guys are Countdown staffers.

ETA: Just saw KO spoofing himself on The Soup. Very funny. I didn't think using "Good night and good luck" was very out of place because what precedes it is him telling Britney to "go to bed," then "good night {pause} and good luck". It works.

Edited by wish liszt, Sep 2, 2007 @ 5:46 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 3:51 PM

New York Magazine does its 21 Questions thing with KO.

AnarchyNow

AnarchyNow

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 4, 2007 @ 8:06 PM

Wow, Keith was scary tonight. Everytime I think that he could not posssibly get more angry, he does another one of his 'Special Comments' and amazes me. It is incredible to see the rage I feel actually shown on network tv and by a network owned by GE no less. Keep it up Keith, God knows someone needs to.