Countdown with Keith Olbermann

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8378 replies to this topic

Inspector Dim

Inspector Dim

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

Give them time. Keith can't appear on tv for 5 1/2 months. My guess is that Current is going to use this to expand their broadcasting reach.

There was an article in the WSJ that said the noncompete clause only applies to specific competitors. So MSNBC banned him from network news and their immediate cable competition, but not a channel like Current TV.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

Give them time. Keith can't appear on tv for 5 1/2 months. My guess is that Current is going to use this to expand their broadcasting reach.

I figure Current is also hoping that Keith's fans will call their cable company to tell them they want their current TV.

The trouble is, this channel doesn't have much to offer beyond Keith. He'll help a bit, but why will people tune in when the show is not on?

I'm not sure this was a great move. He'll have a lot of freedom, but he'll have to build a core of shows sort of like an alt MSNBC to have any media visibility.

In theory, I think it's a good idea. If he was going to be on TV, KO needed to go somewhere different, someplace that wasn't a traditional news network where the Andrea Mitchells and David Gregorys (or the Candy Crawleys and Jon Kings) succeed.

I don't think Keith would have worked out at CNN, it's still the network bending over backwards to give time to the fact-challenged, including people from anti-gay hate groups, in order to demonstrate their fairness.

BUD'nLOU

BUD'nLOU

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 8:02 PM

Current uploads a lot of their original content to YouTube, so that could always be an option for those whose cable provider doesn't carry the channel.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 8:14 PM

Hopefully, he hasn't tied himself to an over-long contract, in case this is a pie in the sky idea. I wonder what other serious offers he got.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Keith did a lot to build up MSNBC. I imagine he could see Current as a chance to try to do the same thing all over again, except he'd be in a position to receive more credit.

I think it's a great idea. If he got his $30 mill buy out from MSNBC, he has no financial worries. Why not get involved in the ground floor of building something new? (Arianna Huffington may be an inspiration for Current TV)

In my "Countdown" withdrawal, I've been reminded of how limited mainstream broadcasting is. Hopefully, Keith will have access to a variety of newsmakers and expert opinions that might have been discouraged at MSNBC. (Plus, no more Brokaw, Matthews, and Scarborough on-air criticism to worry about). Hopefully, this bold choice will yield bold results.

People won't add just for KO, probably, but I see I get Oprah, Current, and Bourdain in the extended Time Warner package, plus other things I'd probably like but never think about.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

Current uploads a lot of their original content to YouTube, so that could always be an option for those whose cable provider doesn't carry the channel.

Plus they probably will podcast...

I wonder if Current would consider hiring David Shuster? I believe he is still looking for a job.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

I thought Shustie had settled on this, but maybe he hasn't gotten the funding, and still wants a job.

KimB77

KimB77

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2011 @ 4:23 PM

Article over at THR with new info, Offer from Al Gore

But this bit has me confused, from a summary over at HuffPo:

THR says that the Current show, which does not yet have a title, will probably premiere in late May, after the deal Olbermann made with NBC blocking him from appearing on other networks ends.

Sources also told THR that Olbermann went to Current because it falls outside the terms of that deal, which specifies different channels that Olbermann cannot work for, even after the non-compete clause ends

How can you have a non-compete clause *after* the non-compete clause ends? Isn't that just some sort of unending clause? I find it hard to believe Keith would agree to something like that.

In any case, I'm hopeful that the 'end of May' time frame is accurate (though I'd rather see him much sooner, of course).

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

Was w/out the interwebs until yesterday, so catching up on the Current TV news - three cheers for Keith, Al & Co.! May is good - I hope I'll have moved myself and my cable service (where I do get Current TV) out of the Fixed News household I'm stranded in by then. With the YouTube and other online avenues, he may not have the Nielsen numbers of yore, but the reach will still be good.

And I succumbed to the lure of the bobblehead/mug package, and added a WPitW t-shirt. Figure since I was WPitW (or rather, a woman bearing my exact real world name!) last January, I'd give myself a day-early birthday present.