Countdown with Keith Olbermann

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8378 replies to this topic

DivineShorty02

DivineShorty02

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2004 @ 11:23 PM

I really enjoy this show. It's become my show to watch before Conan comes on. I like how the stories are presented and the little quips he makes. Does anyone else enjoy?

mimiko1

mimiko1

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 8:30 AM

Love, love. love Keith. He comes up with the best stuff especially when he portrays Ann Coulter as a pirate and his Oddball segments.

mrsstroh

mrsstroh

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 8:41 AM

Aaron, Anderson and Keith are gods in our house.

rocknemo117

rocknemo117

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 1:27 PM

From last night's Countdown:

"Does jumping off the Titanic once the bow is out of the water count as a personal decision?"

Bwah! The Tenet resignation brilliantly summed up in one sentence.

LisaJunior

LisaJunior

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

I only caught the segment on Cicadas and Bill Clinton-randomness.

But Keith introducing the Cicadas by giving the Kent Brockman speech about a respected news anchor being very useful to our new insect overlords had me in stiches!

rocknemo117

rocknemo117

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Has the juxtaposition of Bush's "I didn't know Chalabi" denial and the clip of his appearance on Meet The Press contradicting that denial Keith did Friday been done anywhere else other than Countdown? That was great.

And some interesting news from Cable Newser:

"During the Games, Olbermann will remain on 'Countdown,' which is gaining traction and has an opportunity during the Olympics to increase its audience," NBC announced today.

Divaah46

Divaah46

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 4:11 PM

Mr. Olbermann is refreshing after a long day of serious news, and I like how he mixes serious with fun. Once in a while, even a hardcore NPR junkie like me needs a break.

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2004 @ 8:20 AM

I always try to catch Keith whenever I can. I'm glad he'll be helming Countdown during the Olympics, cause I can't watch the show when he's not anchoring.

Edited by lurk3000, Jun 13, 2004 @ 8:20 AM.

WSLer

WSLer

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 11:52 PM

Happened to flick on Countdown just in time to see Keith preview the Oddball news stories, and the lead one was about BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

One they got back from commerical and started rolling the tape I knew Keith would somehow get around to the Killer Rabbit scene from Monty Python & The Holy Grail.

*I'm co-owner of the worlds cutest, most adorable and most spoiled rotten Netherland Dwarf rabbit ever.

Hasbro

Hasbro

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 7:19 PM

This is the first time in a long time I haven't wished Keith was back on Sportscenter.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 8:34 PM

Last night's "Countdown" scored a whopping 0.l rating (FNC had ten times as many viewers), and in the 25-54 demographic Olbermann's numbers actually rounded off to zero...he's going to have to throw a lot more papers at the camera (did he ever credit Letterman for that stale bit of shtick?) to avoid disappearing completely!

Edited by medk, Jun 17, 2004 @ 8:36 PM.

WSLer

WSLer

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:44 PM

medk

Letterman throws pencils and pens at the camera, not paper.

DivineShorty02

DivineShorty02

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 1:48 AM

Wow, I didn't realize his numbers were that low.

::resolves to watch more Keith::

jenny_doodle

jenny_doodle

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

If the ratings are taken during the primetime showing (6 PM), then I can completely understand why the numbers are that low. The show has to compete with several local newstations whom are basically selling the same stories that Keith outlines in his number 4 and 5 spot. I happen to watch Keith at 11 PM during the repeat showing.

Poor Keith. He has such a good show. I feel worse for Dan Abrams, who has to follow Keith with basically the same stories plus a Scott Peterson tid bit.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 5:05 PM

Olbermann's numbers have been all over the map this past week, ranging from 0.1 to 0.5 depending on the night. He usually pulls about a 0.3, which is unspectacular.

jenny_doodle

jenny_doodle

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 6:51 PM

Unspectacular by what standard? In general or for MSNBC? If Keith isn't doing to well, his counterparts (Deb N., Dan A., Scarborough, etc.) might not be staying afloat either. I wonder how much of Chris Matthew's audience tunes in to watch Keith.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 9:08 PM

0.3 is decent by MSNBC standards, but it's way behind FNC and usually behind CNN. Olbermann actually beat CNN one day this week, but that rarely happens. The whole MSNBC lineup is suffering; the only show they have that approaches being consistently competitive is Hardball, which usually edges out Anderson Cooper in a battle for a distant second place.

WSLer

WSLer

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 10:11 PM

medk,

So Olbermann's Nielsen ratings are lower then O'Lielly's.

Big whoop.

O'Lielly's ratings are [/B]nothing[B] when put up against the networks programming.

Edited by WSLer, Jun 19, 2004 @ 10:24 PM.

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 10:54 PM

All cable programming, except for the rare breakout hit like The Sopranos, reaches a much smaller audience than the broadcast networks. I'm not sure what point is being made by dragging O'Reilly into the discussion, but among cable news channels, he has the most-watched program by far. Yes, it's a smaller audience than watches JAG or American Idol, but then Olbermann's audience is a fraction of what O'Reilly gets. In the world of cable news, it's all about percentages, and Countdown's percentage of the cable news audience is not a large one. If MSNBC really wanted his program to survive, they would move it out of its current killer time slot to one where it might be able to better than an occasional distant second place.

Edited by medk, Jun 19, 2004 @ 11:40 PM.

redheadedwoman

redheadedwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2004 @ 10:41 AM

Keith pulled a .05 on Thursday night and beat Paula Zahn's show to come in second in that time slot. He's done that several times in recent weeks. His ratings have shown improvement but not consistently. I think his show would do much, much better in either the 10pm or 11pm time slot (Eastern time). I'd be really curious to see what the ratings were for both the first run of his show & the repeats added together. It really is a great show and I try never to miss it.

rocknemo117

rocknemo117

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 10:10 AM

The show really doesn't work with guest hosts, huh?

jenny_doodle

jenny_doodle

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 1:11 PM

Nope. And there was something wrong with that Guest Host's manner of speaking. She either over articulates or pronounces things too hard. I don't know, it bothered me.

Oh Keith! Don't ever leave!

lurk3000

lurk3000

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

Ugh. I can't stand Alexa Witt. She tries to be funny and irreverent, but it just doesn't work. Why don't they get Monica Novotny to guest host?

rocknemo117

rocknemo117

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 6:09 PM

At least one good thing from Witt hosting: the interview with Keith about his Playgirl nomination. That was hilarious.

redheadedwoman

redheadedwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

That was great. For those of you who missed it, Alex interviewed Keith Tuesday night about his making the list of nominees for the Playgirl contest to find the Sexiest, most intelligent News Anchor. Keith said he didn't want to finish first but as long as he could beat Andy Rooney--he was happy!

And on edit, according to Today's Washington Post, Keith is in third place in the Playgirl voting, behind Sean Hannity & Anderson Cooper. Andy Rooney was in 5th place, O'Reilly had about 300 write-in votes and Geraldo Rivera was dead-last.

Edited by redheadedwoman, Jun 25, 2004 @ 5:41 PM.

rocknemo117

rocknemo117

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

Third? Not too bad.

Here's hoping Keith wins, even if it's just to hear his snarky reaction Monday.

redheadedwoman

redheadedwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 7:53 AM

Latest Playgirl Update: According to last night's Countdown--Keith is tied for second place with Anderson Cooper. They each have 12.5% of the vote. As Keith put it--he's "Hanging with Mr. Cooper". The evil Sean Hannity is in 1st place with 25% of the vote but according to Keith that's because Alan Colmes keeps voting for Sean.

On another subject-it seems that Keith is po'ed with Fox News--and with good reason. They like to send out snarky press releases where they tout their own ratings horn while at the same time slamming their competition--not that they really have any these days since they're pretty much beating CNN & MSNBC combined. Anyway--here's the text of an e-mail that Keith sent to Cablenewser.com (www.cablenewser.com)

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann writes in with a question about FOX:
"Here's a question...about the latest ratings. Why, when there is no debating their numerical predominance, is FNC so consistently and relentlessly vicious, arrogant, and, above everything else, personal about their public comments?"
"When the 11 PM SportsCenter had something like 75% of the cable sports news audience, we never crowed about it. I mean, I don't even have the exact number written down anywhere, and I have an ego the size of the L.A. Coliseum. We just enjoyed it and our masters charged more money for commercials and that was an end to it. We certainly didn't -- as John LeCarre once wonderfully wrote -- erase the rationale for taking your opponent on by making him look foolish or unworthy."
"It underscores the fact that the left/right with FNC thing has long since passed into comparative irrelevance in this mini-industry. Fox News is hated because they're elitists -- and the worst winners television's ever seen."

medk

medk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 9:11 AM

For Olbermann to object to "personal" and "arrogant" comments about the competition is so hypocritical it is mind-boggling. By the way, this is the "snarky" press release that Olbermann has gone ballistic over. Really vicious and personal, isn't it?

Olbermann needs to adjust his medication. I can guarantee you that his superiors at MSNBC are not pleased that he's embarassing them in this way.

redheadedwoman

redheadedwoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

I can guarantee you that his superiors at MSNBC are not pleased that he's embarassing them in this way.

And I can guarantee you that Keith Olbermann could care less what his superiors at MSNBC think.

LisaJunior

LisaJunior

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2004 @ 2:52 PM

Which makes me love Keith all the more.

I can guarantee you that his superiors at MSNBC are not pleased that he's embarassing them in this way.

How can you guarantee something you can't know? I would imagine his supervisors at MSNBC have resigned themselves to being the third wheel of cable news, but I don't think they expect their employees to heap praise on the competition.

Edited by LisaJunior, Jun 30, 2004 @ 2:55 PM.