Wife Swap

• Please log in to reply

9397 replies to this topic

LibbySarah

LibbySarah

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:03 PM

I don't really watch Wife Swap, but happened to tune in tonight, and here's my two cents:

That man pissed me off so much! Steven (sp?) could not have been more cruel. He insulted his new "wife" to her face, and in front of his kids. Who does that? We're all different - that's what's great about America. As was said, "If you don't like the way things are here, you have every right to go back." I know not all British people are like him, but this man makes me extremely proud to be an American.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

British guy was an utter douchebag, but he was an entertaining douchebag. It seems that normally the "offensive" husband is also the "ignorant" one, so it was a nice change-up.

Earl Is Dead

Earl Is Dead

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

What a fucking asshole! I wanted to understand where he was coming from, but he made it completely impossible with his ignorant asshat snobbery. Did he really think he was going to come off looking like the better, smarter person? (Yes. Yes I think he did).

michigander

michigander

Couch Potato

What a pathetic excuse for a human being. He makes Simon Cowell look like a saint compared to that piece of shit.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Yeah, buddy, NO one smart comes from the midwest. All of those idiots at Northwestern. And, um, President Obama. He's not smart at all. (rolls eyes)

Yea but Obama wasn't born and raised in the midwest though. He has the type of educated and well traveled background that the cultured couple lauded. But, I get your overall point. It's not like the midwest is full of uneducated and obese people--though, I'm not sure if statistics could indeed back up his assertions.

Possibly the dumbest family in Wife Swap history, only to be made to look REALLY good in comparison to the biggest a-hole in Wife Swap history

I don't know about the history (this is my third episode) but the both faults didn't help either family with likability.

Edited by IvyDarling, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:09 PM.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Wow. Sir Douchey McDouche was an incredible tool. For someone who thinks he is so sophisticated, he was incredibly narrow-minded and showed his own very special brand of prejudice.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Brit dad puts the d in dickwad..arguh!

michigander

michigander

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

I wonder why that asshat did the show at all. You'd think this type of show would be beneath him since he thinks he's so much better than everyone else.

Steve, if you hate America so much then leave. No is forcing you to stay here you disgusting piece of shit!

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he realized that Obama won.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:15 PM

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he realized that Obama won.

Funny enough, looking at both families, I would guess cultured family voted for Obama/Biden while paint ball family voted for McCain/Palin.

IvyDarling--I think the comment about the ATV riding scholarship was meant as a joke. Kind of along the lines of "He sleeps so well he could major in it in college.

Unfortunately, libararyone, I don't think they were joking about possible paintball scholarships. When the new mom wanted to stop with paintball, the kid got upset and the dad said something about trying to hamper his dream. Even the older brother mentioned something about finding a school that has paintball. They seemed to take their paintball aspirations very seriously. But, my impression could be totally off.

Edited by IvyDarling, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:19 PM.

libraryone

libraryone

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

IvyDarling--I think the comment about the ATV riding scholarship was meant as a joke. Kind of along the lines of "He sleeps so well he could major in it in college.

As a native Missourian, who grew up in a small town, I was really offended by the British asshat. There are plenty of uneducated and even stupid (not always the same thing) people in Missouri, true. However, at least most of them aren't outright rude.

It made me want to go spend some time with my uneducated redneck--but generally nice--relatives!

accw

accw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

but Obama wasn't born and raised in the midwest though. He has the type of educated and well traveled background that the cultured couple lauded.

Yup, know what you're saying (about being raised in Hawaii, etc) but I just wanted the wife in the episodes to have some comebacks to that JERK. When he said, "No one smart comes from the midwest" to have her say, "Yeah, except our honorable senator from Illinois, like him, you mean." There were just moments when he was lambasting her when I wanted to so be able to just feed her comebacks! That guy was a bully, plain and simple, and she had dignity and cool, but not the firepower to shut him down. I wished that for her, KWIM?

Snaps on the South Park reference, ITA!!

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:22 PM

Snaps on the South Park reference, ITA!!

Woo hoo. I was hoping that someone would get my SP episode reference, glad you caught it, accw!

Yup, know what you're saying (about being raised in Hawaii, etc) but I just wanted the wife in the episodes to have some comebacks to that JERK. When he said, "No one smart comes from the midwest" to have her say, "Yeah, except our honorable senator from Illinois, like him, you mean." There were just moments when he was lambasting her when I wanted to so be able to just feed her comebacks! That guy was a bully, plain and simple, and she had dignity and cool, but not the firepower to shut him down. I wished that for her, KWIM?

Totally know what you mean. Perhaps the episode was filmed before the election? Or perhaps they weren't planning on voting for Obama anyway to think of that type of comeback?

He said he took the GRE in 2004.

Edited by IvyDarling, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:25 PM.

Najat333

Najat333

Loyal Viewer

Wow. That was the most pathetic man I've ever seen on this show.

Talk about insecure! He did nothing but put that poor woman down from the get go, while talking himself up. My favorite moment was him talking to the camera about how he will NOT take a standardized test, because in 1994, he took the GRE and was in the 90 something percentile...blah blah blah...but first said that he wouldn't take it because it was designed to humiliate him. LOL! That says to me that he knew he wouldn't do all that well this time around!

Also, telling his children to not even talk to her? Yeah, they'll grow up to be caring people.

I love how he describes himself as choosing to live in America "to make America better," while his wife said she's not proud of America because she didn't choose to be born here. Um....ok

masterlurker

masterlurker

Couch Potato

I wonder why that asshat did the show at all. You'd think this type of show would be beneath him since he thinks he's so much better than everyone else.

$20,000

It would pay for half of a year for the French/English school.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:25 PM

I agree with you all. British dad is an asshole or should I say he is anal retentive as it would be to his standards. I have advanced degrees and you know what, one does not talk constantly about it and it is not a character trait but merely an asset for negotiations. With that being said, my brother the tradesman makes 3x my salary. It's not about gloating but merely a means to a goal for a career or love of life long learning.

I would agree that culture mom was the winner except that she sat there and said nothing about the treatment her husband doled out. Now cultured mom had an excellent point. How will cultured mom's clients feel after witnessing British assholes treatment? I know I would be looking for another nutritionist if it were me. How did she not rebuke him for teaching their kids to be less then gracious to a visitor in their home?

Paintball dad - I went online and looked at the scholarships for paintball and yes they exist by the paintball association but here is the description:
In addition to having strong academic, extra curricular, and community service achievements, applicants must complete an essay which describes how their activities have positively impacted paintball's reputation within their communities, and how they will continue to create community enthusiasm for the sport while completing their college education. Examples might include promoting charity paintball events, programs that encourage people to try paintball, paintball awareness and safety campaigns, or community service projects attributed to the paintball community.
This comes from the NCPA (National Collegiate Paintball Association) and it is for $5000.

Even with this information I vote for paintball dad as the winner of this episode. He should more growth and openess than any of the others.

Edited by jumper sage, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:26 PM.

Eureka

Eureka

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

[snip]

Edited by TWoP Mars, Jan 31, 2009 @ 1:06 AM.
Manners

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:28 PM

But, I never said I agreed with anything that the dad was saying about the mom. As a matter of fact, in my initial long post, I said that the father was unnecessarily rude to try and use his formal education as a way to make him appear better than the midwestern mom.

Paintball dad - I went online and looked at the scholarships for paintball and yes they exist by the paintball association but here is the description:
In addition to having strong academic, extra curricular, and community service achievements, applicants must complete an essay which describes how their activities have positively impacted paintball's reputation within their communities, and how they will continue to create community enthusiasm for the sport while completing their college education. Examples might include promoting charity paintball events, programs that encourage people to try paintball, paintball awareness and safety campaigns, or community service projects attributed to the paintball community.
This comes from the NCPA (National Collegiate Paintball Association) and it is for $5000.

jumper sage, thanks for finding this info!

Edited by IvyDarling, Jan 30, 2009 @ 11:32 PM.

Earl Is Dead

Earl Is Dead

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

It made me want to go spend some time with my uneducated redneck--but generally nice--relatives!

Word. I wouldn't have hated Steven so much had he merely been of his own opinion. Some people are uneducated, obese, etc. He disapproved of their lifestyle - fine. My repusion is much more about the fact that he felt it entitled him to look down on and treat someone like dirt, and that's what made him the asshole. I'd hang out with kind, obese, uneducated rednecks a thousand times over before I'd spend a minute with a snob like him.

Edited by Earl Is Dead, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:38 PM.

Eureka

Eureka

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:34 PM

You also wrote "I think that they make formally educated East/West coast people look bad as they were the manifestation of the horrible stereotype. The constant insults to the mom's intelligence was too much and unnecessary." Why East/West coast? There are formally educated people from the Midwest.

libraryone

libraryone

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

Jumpersage, I agree with you about Mrs. Asshat. I lost any respect I might of felt for her when she just looked down when he was running off at the mouth. She didn't seem entirely comfortable with how he was behaving but totally wimped out of confronting him on it. And at that point, she becomes just as bad as he is.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

You also wrote "I think that they make formally educated East/West coast people look bad as they were the manifestation of the horrible stereotype. The constant insults to the mom's intelligence was too much and unnecessary." Why East/West coast? There are formally educated people from the Midwest.

I wrote that because there is a widely known stereotype of the educated elitist east/west coast person that I felt that this particular family fed into. No where did I say or imply in any of my posts that midwesterners are not educated.

Jumpersage, I agree with you about Mrs. Asshat. I lost any respect I might of felt for her when she just looked down when he was running off at the mouth. She didn't seem entirely comfortable with how he was behaving but totally wimped out of confronting him on it. And at that point, she becomes just as bad as he is.

I can agree with this. Her complicity in his actions is just as bad. Also, it's like the dad is already teaching his children that [formally] uneducated people are worthless. I definitely don't agree with that. While I have no problem with Juliet learning/knowing the importance of education, I got a bad taste in my mouth when she said that the point was really made after living with paint ball mom. Just the way she said it made me SMH.

Edited by IvyDarling, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:41 PM.

Najat333

Najat333

Loyal Viewer

He said he took the GRE in 2004.

Sorry, I meant 2004. The point still holds.

Also, correcting me by editing a post of yours that appears before my error is rather confusing.

onlyinPV

onlyinPV

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:39 PM

If I were one of her life/health/whatever/clients, I'd drop her fast. How terrible to find out that your counselor is sneering and laughing at you behind your back, or at the least not stopping her husband from doing so.

Arkay

Arkay

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:40 PM

As a lifelong New Yorker with two Master's degrees, I am culturally and sociologically much more in sync with the Californian family than with the Midwestern family. However, that supercilious twit of a father was absolutely the most rude and condescending person I believe has ever been featured on this show. He is the epitome of a preening, self-aggrandizing jerk. Yes, the educational level and health habits of the Midwestern family were abysmal and need to be addressed; however, the Californian father made me cringe more than anyone else I've seen on Wife Swap.
He did give me a good laugh, though, with his wardrobe of black t-shirts lettered with various "save the earth" mantras. Clearly he parades himself as someone who wants to make the world a better place, though he apparently is unable to treat a person from a different culture with a modicum of grace.

RoRo

RoRo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

I don't think I've even seen a bigger a-hole than Steven. How dare he talk to anyone like that! I was really hoping that CultureMom would be so appalled at her husband's behavior that she would say something...anything and leave. And she just sat there. Wow.

Earl Is Dead

Earl Is Dead

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:45 PM

I agree that Mrs. Asshat's silence made her repulsive too, but I find that sad. Because in some of the ways she was trying to help the MO family, she wasn't off the mark (exercise, nutrition), and she also seemed to feel and act compassionately in the process. Why she would crumble to the snob she married is sad.

indalay

indalay

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:46 PM

Yeah, the pompous guy's t-shirts were a hoot. What a poser!

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

Anyone with "class" would not go around talking about how low-class the other person was. Anyone who is really intelligent doesn't need to constantly reinforce how much more intelligent they are than other people. And equating book smarts and knowledge with intelligence is rather stupid anyway. My Grandfather, a farmer in rural Alabama who never made it past 8th grade, was one of the most intelligent people I've ever known, but didn't have an education to crow about. But I'd take his advice over that asshole's any day of the week. And allowing, no encouraging your kids to ignore a guest in your house? Disgusting.

I hope that guy gets ripped apart in real life. And that his wife loses all her disgusting, obese clients.

Edited by Munchiewoman, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:48 PM.

masterlurker

masterlurker

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:49 PM

Yeah, the pompous guy's t-shirts were a hoot. What a poser!

I would bet that he was trying to promote his business, the one that is so important that the kids couldn't be in his office.

jenifaohjenny

jenifaohjenny

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:55 PM

It's not like the midwest is full of uneducated and obese people--though, I'm not sure if statistics could indeed back up his assertions.

It was just on TV days ago that the most overweight states are West Virginia and Alabama...so I am not sure he can back that up with those stats.

Just found this...the methodology looked okay, not sure how much weight it holds.
State Education Rates

Which puts California at 47, Missouri at 22. Is that where the Midwestern family was from? Missouri? The top 15 is pretty dominated by East Coast.

Edited by jenifaohjenny, Jan 30, 2009 @ 9:55 PM.