Wife Swap

• Please log in to reply

9397 replies to this topic

Texas-Gal

Texas-Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 10:18 AM

I think the title of this new show sounds a lot more seedy than the actual premise. This will be an "alternative" show on ABC this fall, and the description given from the Up Front press release is:

Already a smash hit in the UK and most recently awarded a BAFTA, the UK’s most prestigious television award, WIFE SWAP gives two families the rare opportunity to witness what it is like to live someone else’s life and experiences. Two matriarchs from two households trade places for 10 days.  For the first five days of the challenge, they must obey the rules of the new family’s lifestyle and adopt their daily routine – parenting, shopping, housework, creating budgets and social life.  For the remaining five days, these women get to run the new house their own way – a radical shock to both families. This intense new series taps into America’s voyeuristic tendencies and desires to judge how others run their households, raise their children and treat their spouses.  Never before has a reality series taken such an honest inside look at the American family.

Here is a link to the original British show's site, on Channel 4. There's a note at the bottom of that page that "Wife Swap is going international" -- so I guess there's the potential that someone here in the US could end up swapping with someone in the UK.

shantastic

shantastic

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 10:23 AM

Ooooh- I'm sooo there- front and center. But, not until Fall? This would be perfect for summer. . . Alas, ABC will screw this up just like they did with The Family. Oh, wait, I forget I was the only one who watched that show. . .

Texas-Gal

Texas-Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

I TOTALLY watched The Family. I read an article (EW, maybe?) that said The Family and The Mole were examples of how ABC had screwed up reality TV, and I screamed at the magazine. Those were AWESOME shows.

I think this has the potential to be very interesting - elements of Frontier/1900/Colonial House (what with the out-of-their-element moments) and maybe Faking It?

shantastic

shantastic

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 2:39 PM

Oh, Texas-Gal, allow me to hand you my necklace so that you may room with me for the week!

I did the exact same thing with my issue of EW (scream, stomp, and finally, acceptance that they're not always right). Usually EW is spot-on, but the Mole is like a cerebral Survivor (no hate e-mail pls- any show that Boston Rob can nearly win and be called "All Stars" can kiss my patootie), and The Family was The Sopranos meets reality (OK, no one got whacked*, but I thought the cheesy parts of the Sopranos was worked with beautifully). It was so wonderful- but this isn't the Family thread.

At any rate, I'll so be there when this show airs. It's an interesting premise, and the lab coat in me can't wait to see how the families react to the mothers. Do you know if the mothers are cast with Type A personalities ala Burnett? I hope so, I don't think I can handle passive aggressive. It'll remind me too much of my childhood. . .

*PS- Although many of us would've like to see Cuz Dawn get whacked. . .

Selma04

Selma04

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 6:54 PM

I just saw a piece about this show on ET. Apparently, one of the women is a bus driver, from a modest-income family, and the other is from an obviously wealthy family, spending about $4,000 per week on clothes for herself. They show the lower-income wife stunned by a closet filled completely with shoes. This show looks promising to me.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

The show premieres September 29 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on ABC. There's already lots of speculation that it won't do as well in the ratings as Fox's "Trading Spouses."

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2004 @ 6:40 PM

There's already lots of speculation that it won't do as well in the ratings as Fox's "Trading Spouses."

The speculation may be right, but I don't know. I read an article in the Times last month and the Park Avenue-esque family they described make the most evil of the Trading Spaces spaces people seem like the Ozzie and Harriet types. I'd link the story, but it's been archived already.

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Posted Sep 2, 2004 @ 12:22 AM

I think it's funny how ABC's commercials for this show tout it as "the original". Yes, ABC may have originated the concept first, but as far as I'm concerned, whatever makes it to tv and the public first is considered THE original. By now, this is a tired concept.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 12:27 PM

RE: Ratings predicitons for this show. ABC hasn't been doing as well in the ratings for its reality shows, compared to Fox. There's been almost no buzz for the American "Wife Swap" since since it's being overshadowded by "Trading Spouses." So I think "Wife Swap" is going to have lower ratings than "Trading Spouses."

the Gucci Kid

the Gucci Kid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 1:01 PM

ABC just generally sucks nowadays...no one I know even watches it. I stopped watching it after they got rid of TGIF. And sorry ABC, I won't be watching the new TGIF!

bella1013

bella1013

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

It's called The New Mom over here, and it ranked nr.1 in the ratings this week. We had this what's the word? really really scary lady (Think Hyacint Bouquet, without the constant need for social status) trade places with a widow and take care of her two teenage daughters.

Best thing ever, especially since the two daughters acted so arrogant around their new mom it almost made people cheer.

The widow however tried to have fun, but I think scary lady's husband and daughter had never learnt or forgot what that meant.

isabella19

isabella19

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 7:34 AM

I've seen the original, guys. It's cringe-making! How it won a BAFTA award is totally beyond me. But it is a huge hit over there.

Rydell

Rydell

Posted Sep 5, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

The current issue of Entertainment Weekly (September 10, 2004) says "Wife Swap" is better than "Trading Spouses."

According to the EW article, upcoming "Wife Swap" episodes will include:

*a rich, spoiled wife who trades places with a working-class, hard-working wife.(Predictable idea that's been done before.)

*a conservative African-American woman who trades places with one-half of a lesbian couple. (That should be interesting.)

* a neat-freak wife who moves into a home with 25 pets. (That could get old really fast.)

* a laid-back mother who moves into a home where the kids get regular spankings. (That should also be interesting, and I wonder if she'd go as far to call the authorities and say the kids are being abused.)

tonkacat

tonkacat

Stalker

Posted Sep 21, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

I have seen ads for this show. It will begin on Wednesday, September 30. So, it probably won't be on Sunday night.

Edited by tonkacat, Sep 25, 2004 @ 2:16 PM.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 8:28 PM

As I prepare to watch the special episode tonight I find myself confused. Didn't Fox steal the idea from the people in England who sold the idea to ABC? ABC bought it , but had they not bought it then the UK company couldn't have been pissed because it's different markets, right? Nevermind.

obladi6703

obladi6703

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 9:56 PM

I am watching Wife Swap now (Tivoed). I think I just saw a kangaro bouncing around in one family's home. I had no clue you could have a kangaro for a pet.

funkyfeet

funkyfeet

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:03 PM

These women are both nuts.

A control freak with no personality and a good natured pig who thinks stepping around piles of animal shit is ok.

All I can say is - YIKES.

Anaralia

Anaralia

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:05 PM

Well, now. That was vaguely unsettling. Let's avoid such extremes from now on, ok?

Oh, who am I kidding.

Castallack

Castallack

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:06 PM

Oh my, where to start? You can't help comparing to Trading Spouses and because I saw that first I kind of found this lacking. It was just so tres-anvil. What could be more obvious than a neat-freak trading with a zookeeper? Was there even one surprising moment?

Plus, making it just an hour long felt too short like there must have been lots we missed.

Things I liked comparison-wise where the loss of the "other mom spends the money" gimmick and the silly "new mom makes a party for old mom's friends" concept. While there was the structure of the "first week old mom rules, second week new mom rules" it felt less set-up and more an organic unfolding of events. Still, the pace was way too quick.

I didn't really like either family. They just seemed too way out for me to identify with. I can't believe I would survive even one day with either one. But as I pet-free homeowner, let me just say about fecal matter on the floor, nasty!

Nocona

Nocona

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:06 PM

I love this show, I got addicted to it while I was living in the U.K. IMHO, the best part about WifeSwap is the husbands reactions...some of them are so completley clueless without their spouses.

They all seemed like pretty cool people except the neurotic cleaner-wife, but at the end I think she loosened up quite a bit. It was cute to see her getting along with the cat.

But she did have a couple points...letting your 25+ animals shit all over your house is one of the grossest things I've ever heard of.

Edited by Nocona, Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:07 PM.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:07 PM

I thought both moms were delusional. NeatFreak actually has to measure the placement of the cups and saucers on the tables and Slob-bi thinks nothing's wrong with leaving animal crap all over the house. Her house was so disgusting, I had to get up and vacuum my living room.

I was so enraged when I heard NeatFreak was taking most of the animals out of the house. I'm glad to learn it was temporary but it's still maddening to think the bitch would do that to family pets.

Slob-bi really irritated me by bringing in the cat. She had no way of knowing if the cat would stay in the home after the swap and that's irresponsible (like people who buy pets as Christmas presents for other people's children). NeatFreak could've kicked out the cat or sent it to the pound. I'm glad she decided to keep the kitty.

murphsully

murphsully

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:09 PM

I agree funkyfeet -- they are totally nuts. Who the hell cleans their house 5 hours a day, EVERY day? That woman has some real issues. On the other end of the spectrum you have meet the other family as the parents are jumping on the beds with their kids, 25 pets and tons of clutter. When that mom said that my parenting style is that I'm friends with my children. I wanted to smack her! You are the PARENT -- your children have enough friends, they don't need you to be a friend. They need you for guidance, discipline and to set an example. Uggghh! Drives me crazy.

ETA I'm just glad that I couldn't smell the animal house through my tv screen. I kept asking Mr. Murphsully to imagine what that house must smell like. He didn't even want to go there.

Edited by murphsully, Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:16 PM.

kfree9

kfree9

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

While both moms were just so extreme on each end of the spectrum, the blonde mom was really bugging me at the end when she was yelling at the neat-freak. That meeting seemed to be going pretty well until the blonde mom kept interrupting neat freak. Yes, taking the pets out of the house was pretty extreme but it's not like she had them all put to sleep. Neat freak was showing that family "her ideas," of living. That's the whole point of the show isn't it? Neat freak should have flipped the fuck out on the blonde for bringing the cat in.

tornado

tornado

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

Wow..that was just...wow.

Neat freak was getting on my last nerve. I mean, come on! Her kids were basically saying they didn't miss her and her poor husband has to drink coffee out of a straw?
Get a life!!!
I felt so happy for those kids having a cat..cute kitty!

Slob-o...well, I think that she did a great job turning the neatfreak family around. But her house? Holy crap...crap being the word. 25 animals crapping all over the place is NOT good. That's just insane. And the husband doing everything and not being a parent? I mean, when that curly head kid told him he needed to "consult with him" I wanted to slap him. Get a backbone. Both of the men needed a spine.

Intriguing. I just may be hooked.

Anaralia

Anaralia

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

You are the PARENT -- your children have enough friends, they don't need you to be a friend.

When that kid said that in order to move stuff out of the house they should have consulted with him and asked for his approval, it made me want to throw things at the television. You. Are. The. Son.

Indywildcat

Indywildcat

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:15 PM

I think I just saw a kangaro bouncing around in one family's home. I had no clue you could have a kangaro for a pet.

My neighbor has a wallaby. They are similar to kangas but smaller.

While we do have parrots, cats, dogs and assorted rodents, we DON'T have critter crap on our floors. I love having oodles of pets but I also spend several of hours a day keeping my home clean enough for my family of 6.

Reality-OD

Reality-OD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:19 PM

Ugh. I am no neat-freak but Animal House disgusted me beyond words. If the first thing someone does when they enter your home is to make the wrinkly "I smell pee" face, then you gotta problem.

Poor buttoned-down Don. Even his "pissed off" is buttoned-down. I'm glad they kept the cat. I think the experience was good for them. I don't think the other Mom learned a thing.

snowfall

snowfall

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

I hated the neat freak. You just don't get rid of people's pets like that. When that happened I was like "Surely ABC wouldn't actually allow that to happen would they?" I was happy to find out is was temporary. If it had been me I would have called her a cold hearted bitch right then and there.
I'm betting she has no friends and that's why she's so cold hearted.
As for Bambi, yes she's a slob but at least she didn't get rid of anything that belonged to cold hearted neat freak.

Castallack

Castallack

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

and her poor husband has to drink coffee out of a straw?

I got the feeling he liked all that. Didn't he say something like he needed all her lists to know what to do? I kept hearing that "whip" sound in my head when he talked.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2004 @ 10:22 PM

I found this show to be a lot better than Trading Spouses for a number of reasons:

1. I don't have to wait 2 weeks to get the full story
2. When they traded rules, they REALLY traded rules. When they started out they were actually attempting to run things like the real Moms.
3. The swap was more complex than rich mom, poor mom, week after week after week.
4. The tension wasn't amped up for the promos like in TS. These Moms were seriously at odds with their original families.
5. It didn't devolve into a montage of lazy kid/lazy Mom shots . . . yet.

I couldn't believe CrazyCaprice had all the animals sent away like that. Not only did that mess up the kids, it messed up the animals. I wish she could have altered her rules to fit around the animals. Anal retentively scary. Coffee with a straw?

My kitten and I loved Nugget and Ian, they were both really cute. These women were both off, way off. I hope they find a happy balance.