5-11: "The Test Dream" 2004.05.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1296 replies to this topic

Aaron

Aaron

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 7:38 PM

From TV Guide.com:

The Sopranos
The Test Dream
60 mins.   

Even though Tony's affair with Valentina (Leslie Bega) is red-hot, he is obsessed with an old flame; a frustrated Tony B. (Steve Buscemi) blows off some steam in the city.

Cast: Dominic Chianese, Edie Falco, James Gandolfini, Jamie-Lynn DiScala, Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli, Robert Iler, Steven Van Zandt, Tony Sirico, Drea de Matteo, Aida Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Steven R. Schirripa, Vincent Curatola, John Ventimiglia, Robert Loggia, Leslie Bega

Content: Strong, Coarse Language, Explicit Sexual Situations, Violence

Release Year: 2004

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:00 PM

Great episode. I didn't think Pie-O-My would be in the dream, nor did I think it would last 20-30 minutes.

It was still nice to see all the old characters again.

Edited by SeaBreeze341, May 16, 2004 @ 9:02 PM.

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

Figures I'd get a couple of phone calls during the show tonight, so I have a couple of questions:

Why was Tony in a suite in NYC?

Who all appeared in the dream cars with Tony? I spotted Artie, Ralphie, Richie and Big Pussy, but couldn't figure out the others. TIA!

A couple of quick thoughts because there's so much symbolism to unpack in one episode for one viewing (thank God for this forum and all its wise posters!): YOWZA. What a head trip! Tony sure knows how to put all the symbols for castration anxiety into one dream (losing teeth, dropping the bullets out of his gun, and the like). And he soooo wants to get back with Carm. Charmaine Bucco? Puh-leeze! She's got nothing on Carm...well, except a bigger chest, but still...!

I know this makes me a cold SOB, but...I laughed when Valentina caught on fire. Madon', I'm going to hell with the rest of LCN!

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

What the fuckity fuck?

Sure things: Annabella Sciorra has Lorraine Bracco's mannerisms down pat, and this episode will be analyzed for the next three months.

Edited by quickychick, May 16, 2004 @ 9:06 PM.

Celina

Celina

Fanatic

Holy shit. The Sopranos meets Twin Peaks.

radiogrl1

radiogrl1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:01 PM

Oh. My. God.

I guess I'm staying up late to see this one again....

sweetsarah

sweetsarah

Loyal Viewer

Holy shit!!! That was the weirdest show ever!

hendersonrocks

hendersonrocks

Fanatic

Whoa. Annette Bening playing, uh, Annette Bening. I don't know where to start.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:02 PM

Holy. Fucking. Shit. That's all I can say at the moment.

Edited to say: Holy fucking shit. Oh, and Carm and Tony are SO getting back together.

Edited by SuiGeneris, May 16, 2004 @ 9:02 PM.

topsyjayne

topsyjayne

Just Tuned In

Ahh, hyperbolic chamber. An honest-to-God spit take. Artie Buco’s “What?” John Heard singing “Three Times A Lady”, the “Godfather” men’s room reference and the coming out with your cock in your hand line, Tony persued by men in lederhosen, Tony on a horse in Casa Soprano the two shot of Tony’s giant head with soldier Christopher lusting after his high-quality hotel chocolate, “serious, is it light were you are yet”.
Welcome back David Chase, I missed yehs

metal666

metal666

Video Archivist

Ohboyohboyohboy!!!
What a dream. Artie was more annoying than ever and Meadow actully didn't annoy at all. Did anyone else have trouble telling where the dream started and ended?
That's all untill I can absorbe more.

More now: Tony on his high horse or Tony and his hores in the house.
AJ will always fail.
The product placment of Cosco(sp?) shame on HBO.

Edited by metal666, May 16, 2004 @ 9:05 PM.

JulesP

JulesP

Fanatic

I hated it. Well, I liked the first twenty minutes, but hated the rest. Except when Chrissy came to Tony's room and left with the Toblerone.

This artsy-fartsy stuff is getting annoying. It's not why I tune into The Sopranos.

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

Aaron, I don't know if I can wait a whole week for you to explain this to me. Could you, like, take some vacation days and work this out for us right away?

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

I look forward to reading these boards so I can understand the last hour of my life, because I'm totally confuzzled.

But, Tony and Carm at the end, on the phone. Awww. I'm such a Tony/Carm shipper. And, I want a suite at The Plaza. Sw-anky.

Did anyone catch the HBO ad before the show, when the intermingle all the shows together? When the girl from SFU (sorry I don't watch) was saying, "If I had know you were going to die, I would have gotten to know you better," I could have sworn she was talking to someone other than Joey Pants.

fangums

fangums

Fanatic

JulesP, the whole time (like last week) I'm thinking, "We've only got X episodes left. Enough of this crap, let's get on with it."

But the horse? That cracked me up.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:04 PM

Word on the Godfather reference. When he said that line, I was like: Where have I heard that before? As soon as he looked for the gun, I knew.

Allgeetoo

Allgeetoo

Fanatic

Holy Moly! My sensories are in Def Con Overload. This epi should have been named "I See Dead Men Walking Who Should Be Six Feet Under". Wonder why whats-her-name (the Lady Mafiosa) didn't make an appearance? It will take better minds than mine to figure this one out.

The only thing I'm sure about is I'll be afraid to sleep for weeks for fear of dreaming. And Aaron? Recapping this bitch should earn you a Pulitzer. There is a Pulitzer for Episode Recaps isn't there?

ETA: Giving credit where credit is due. Sorry Aaron.

Edited by Allgeetoo, May 16, 2004 @ 9:11 PM.

George Zip

George Zip

Video Archivist

Holy shit. The Sopranos meets Twin Peaks.

Ha! I was going to write that this was the weirdest episode of television I've ever seen, with the caveat that I never watched Twin Peaks.

It's already been said a few times, but WTF?!?!?

I've always enjoyed the dream sequences, but this was just way too much. To try and analyze a 20 (30?) minute dream chock full of more symbolism than American Beauty (maybe that's why Annette Bening showed up?) is a task for which I'm just not qualified.

dracula

dracula

What a weird, fucking show! I really need to see it a few more times to ‘get’ it. One thing I can say is that Johnny Sack is getting it next week – threatening Tony’s family.
Loved it.

handsovereyes

handsovereyes

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:05 PM

The dream sequence was too long, I was actually bored at the end with the coach.

Did we see Billy L. , Phil's younger brother, during the ep? He was in the credits, but what scene was he in? Did he help Phil off Angelo?

DrunkByJersey

DrunkByJersey

Couch Potato

That was bizarre. Also noticed Mikey Palmice in the Car O' Dead People. (Most of whom Tony didn't actually kill, if I'm not mistaken.)

Edited by DrunkByJersey, May 16, 2004 @ 9:06 PM.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

So was his "mission" to whack Tony B? And what was up with Artie? And WHAT was up with him during the sex scene with Charmaine?

Edited by SuiGeneris, May 16, 2004 @ 9:06 PM.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:06 PM

But the horse? That cracked me up.

LOL. Same here. Where was the little dog? That would have made the episode a bit more unique/interesting!

funkyfeet

funkyfeet

Hi I'm new to this thread...

and I had to see if ANYONE could explain to me what I just saw.

Cause if anyone could explain it, it would be TWoP posters.

I'm normally a very astute person, but its been a long day with no Wheaties.

Radio Ryan

Radio Ryan

Couch Potato

David Chase on LSD and I LOVE IT!

I was just reading Aaron's poll about what name director should be brought in next. Damned if this WASN'T a David Lynch movie.

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

• Interests:Likes: Funk music, cooking, wine and people who hate Paris Hilton<br />TV: Reno 911!, Dirty Sexy Money, The Office, Free Radio, American Idol, 24

Raise your hand if, at the end of the episode, you were singing "unce, tice, fee tines a mady.."

Was this ep written by David Chase or David Lynch? Whoa. That was one fucked up dream. I haven't had a dream like that since I used to grow my own magic mushrooms in my shoe closet. the only thing that was missing was Naomi Watts' naked tits.

I guess we know what has to happen now....sniff....goodbye Diet Tony....

Love how Finn was interchangeable with A.J. and how both moms knew their sons were total losers.

Crispy Valentina...hehe.

Tony boffing Charmaine while Artie looked on.....gag!

I am in complete and total denial that there are only two eps left.

stallionsrunfree

stallionsrunfree

Loyal Viewer

I don't care what the fuckity fuck (shout out to QuickyChick!); I loved it.

Now: to only understand it....!

Holy God; what WAS that???!

Not that it matters; I'm watching it again as much as digital cable will allow....

Professor K

Professor K

Loyal Viewer

“Stop, drop and roll! STOP! DROP! AND ROLL!” Anyone? Ok.

An A+ in tasteless humor from the HBO promo dept: “Even though Tony's affair with Valentina is red-hot, he is obsessed with an old flame.” Very classy.

This episode was a trip. I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about the dreams – especially about the Tony’s losing teeth. I know that’s a pretty common dream (I’ve had it myself) but I can’t seem to find a standard interpretation for it.

My sympathies for Tony were at a low last week, but of course, I’m pulling for him (again) after this episode. Aww, phone intimacy.

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

SuiGeneris

So was his "mission" to whack Tony B?

That was my thought too, so it must be wrong. Heh. And yeah, I was doing Buckwheat sings the blues at the end, too.

Edited by quickychick, May 16, 2004 @ 9:08 PM.

SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

"unce, tice, fee tines a mady.."

WORD!!!! "Buckwheat Sings!!" I love me some classic SNL.