• Please log in to reply

686 replies to this topic

Aspen

Aspen

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

My faves so far are Netherlands, Georgia, and Thor  ..err, Iceland

Also enjoyed Malta, and Greece because kilts and this comment:

it gives you a sneak preview of what hordes of drunken Brits will be dancing along to on their holidays this summer

Edited by Aspen, May 17, 2013 @ 8:32 PM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

You know what? I'm beginning to think, with the non-Eurovision-y song and the complete lack of gimmicks with the staging (it's just a girl, on a stage, in normal clothes, with no dancers or unicyclists or William Tell impersonators), that Anouk's "Birds" is a protest entry after the Netherlands' terrible qualification record. It's just more subtle about it than Finland were when they sent Lordi, to the point where it might - wait for it - fly over some viewers' heads.

Forgotten if it was Hungary or Bulgaria, but one of them was easily one of the worst songs I've ever heard in this conte st. And that's saying something.

Worse than Dustin the Turkey? Jemini? That Israeli entry where they started waving Syrian flags?

Sybaril

Sybaril

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

So I spent this evening listening to all the finalists again and I really like Denmark's Only Teardrops. I think it's better than last year's winner. As for Birds, I'll echo the sentiment that it was oddly low key.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

Engelbert Humperdinck one year, and Bonnie Tyler the next.

UK you have to be pulling our legs, right?  You guys on occasion have shown a ridiculous sense of humor, so this has got to be that, right?

Who's next year?  Don't say Tom Jones--he's ALMOST not ridiculous.  Is it Paul MCCartney propped up with a stick?  Rod Stewart propelled by animatronics?  No these are still all too sane, even if oldies like Humperdinck and Tyler. 

Is Yoko Ono a British citizen?  Use her!

futurechemist

futurechemist

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 4:07 AM

Graham Norton made this comment before the Netherland's Anouk "If you dislike Lana Del Ray you will loathe this act".  I agree completely.  Both the Dutch and French acts had that made me want to claw my ears off with their dark and toneless emo/goth/whatever attempt at singing.

I wanted Greece to win, I'm a sucker for the novelty songs.  My absolute favorite act was the Ukraine from 2006, an incredibly shiny and energetic drag act who came second.  I was okay with Denmark as the winner.

Bonnie Tyler can sing.  I enjoy her 80s songs like "Total Eclipse of the Heart" or "Holding out for a Hero".  But her Eurovision song and her current voice just weren't powerful.  The UK didn't deserve to do well, although I'm boggled at how the Netherlands got 5 times their score.  I also don't understand how abysmally Ireland did.  Their song wasn't good, but it was at least technically competent, which made it better than some other groups.

Oh, and why on Earth did they announce Denmark as the winners with 4 countries left to present their votes.  They then had to go back to those countries and essentially say "Denmark has won and nobody is paying attention to you, and the acts no longer care who gets the 12 points, but very quickly give us your votes so we can switch back to filming the winner."

Lathund

Lathund

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 5:49 AM

I'm absolutely fine with Denmark winning. It is after all tradition; they won last time the contest was held in Sweden too. So the contest will move something like 10-15 miles for next year. 

I started liking Norway and Ukraine more because of the performers than the act or song itself, but they grew on me. Glad they did well. What also grew on me was Romania. I loved the ridiclousness of it all. 

I also liked the fact that there were more songs in the respective native languages than usual (Felt like that anyway). Would love it if a song in Swedish won our our qualifiers. Would mean a smaller chance of winning, but I'd like it anyway.

My absolute favorite act was the Ukraine from 2006, an incredibly shiny and energetic drag act who came second

I presume you mean this ( http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hfjHJneVonE ) from 2007. If so it's indeed one of my favourites too. Drag, tinfoil, sunglasses, accordeons, sung in 4 different languages? That's so what Eurovision is all about.

Edited by Lathund, May 19, 2013 @ 6:03 AM.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

I was really impressed with the staging of this year's contest. As opposed to the usually very stilted presenters, the presenter this year was actually pretty funny, as was her "Swedish Smorgasbord" song, which had me and my friends laughing at home.

Denmark wasn't one of my favourites, but I can see why it won. I almost hoped Romania would win, just because it was so bizarre, with the high-pitched Vlad the Impaler guy and the blood-covered dancers. I liked Greece as well, they were really fun (although they're probably glad they didn't win, financially speaking).

I'm amazed Italy did as well as they did - their song was dull and the singer just seemed bored throughout. Azerbaijan, Ukraine and Russia all did a lot better than I thought they deserved too.

Polyglot

Polyglot

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Engelbert Humperdinck one year, and Bonnie Tyler the next.

UK you have to be pulling our legs, right? You guys on occasion have shown a ridiculous sense of humor, so this has got to be that, right?

Who's next year?

Shirley Bassey. Or maybe it's time for Cliff Richard again...? 

Or, you know, try sending someone who's been relevant on this side of the millenium... 

But even if they sent Coldplay, they wouldn't be guaranteed a win. Not the way this competition has evolved, where the songs themselves really don't matter anymore, only all the ridiculousness surrounding them. Don't get me wrong, I love all the bizarreness, but this used to be a Song Contest, now it's a dance, pyro & special FX contest. (This year,it seemed everyone had to have gold rain...)

I didn't really have any favorites this year, I thought all entries where rather lackluster. As a Norwegian, I'm happy we did really well for once, with a good song by a good artist. It was a very atypical entry, and it finished 4th., so I'm hoping it means there's still room for quality, and not just growing dresses with built-in light shows...

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

God bless you Bonnie!  You didn't stand a chance and you knew it but gamely you stepped into the breach.  19th place and 23 points is poor, but it's a BIG improvement over last year's second from bottom and 12 points.  But hey, we almost doubled our point score as well as reminding the rest of Europe that she's still going strong (I predict good ticket sales for the next tour).

As a Brit, this contest is always a love-hate affair.  From the highs of the 1980s and early to mid-1990s when we couldn't seem to help but come second all the time (twice in a row to Ireland!) to the agonies of poor dear Engelbert last year.  We really didn't stand a chance. 

See, we've only been in the top 10 twice this century (2002, Jessica Garlick 'Come Back', 3rd place in Tallinn, Estonia and 2009, Jade Ewen 'It's My Time', 5th place in Moscow - Andrew Lloyd Webber played piano).  For a country which still has the best overall performance (5 wins, 15 second places), that's worse than pathetic.  I whether we should even bother anymore if we are simply there to fight over the bottom 5 places with the French (what was that about by the way, did my ears deceive or did we hear the first Eurovision entry about S&M?)

I was of course thrilled to note that the Netherlands actually got through (I wasn't thrilled with the song though) and Belgium, I rather liked that entry, it had a catchiness, it couldn't possibly win, but for an 18 year old he seemed really assured.   I do wonder about the automatic qualification thing just because we pay for it.  It seems like a fob because they knew that if UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy had to qualify like everybody else, we probably won't get through at all and the Western half of the content would probably only have Iceland representing us.  Perhaps the way to off-set this is a Western plus Scandinavia qualifier and an East of the Elbe qualifier?  I suspect in doing it the way they do it is intended to sell the idea of a whole continent coming together.  The effect however is to give the 'rich' countries a free pass and allow us to send entries which simply are not up to scratch.  The British and French performances have gone consistently downhill since automatic qualification became all-important as the contest grew to the titantic proportions it has now.  We now don't have the drive to do better and put in an entry which is truly competitive relying on veterans like Bonnie and Engelbert is a cry of desperation (two people hugely well known but who cannot convert that into votes on the night) and were stuck with unsuitable entries.

I believe that Cheryl Baker of Buzz Fizz (winners in 1981) has it right.  Anybody older than 30 is simply too old.  It's a very young person's game, a quick Wikipedia check shows this year's winner is 20, Swedish Loreen is now 29 (2012), Georgians Nigar is now 32 and Eldar 23 (2011), German Lena is presently 21 (2010) and Norwegian Alexander Rybak is 27 (2009).  I haven't checked further but I'm willing to bet it’s similar for at least a couple of years before (Bonnie is 61 and Engelbert is now 77).  It needs to be a young singer with a REALLY poppy song, one which plays well live and in clubs, not necessarily one that plays well on the radio and one with some razz-matazz, none of this ballad nonsense ‘cos that’s really not worked for us.  Nor does it have to be a high profile singer, just somebody whose bloody good, I mean two of the biggest pop bands going are British (e.g. 1D) but will want nothing to do with this, Take That are too old and Adele does ballads and is too cool for Eurovision (although Adele singing 'Believe In Me' is my fantasy, not like she is likely to have done much better, this is still Britain).  We will get stuck with the likes of Jevine or Jemini again and get laughed off the stage.  We can't win!

We're also a bit stuffed.  Amazingly the Irish actually gave us more points than we gave them last night (1 point from us, they gave us 7, which is about as much as they've ever given us).  Unlike the Balkans (and what exactly happened to them this year?) and the ex-Soviet states, we can't agree to make believe for the night and bloc vote.  We're islands, the Scandinavians tend to ignore us in recent years as do the Benelux upon whom we used to rely on.  You have to bloc vote to win.  Nobody, officially, seems to object to the blatancy of the usual Greek-Cypriot arrangement and the Russians, Ukrainians and Azerbaijanis benefited from geography and being very Euro-competent.  The Norwegian lass grew on me, it was different, it would have been nice for her to do a little better.

I also believe that we shoot ourselves in the foot.  We have an extraordinary musical heritage as a country.  We showed the world just how good we can be when we want to be last summer.  Then we send Bonnie and a merely adequate ballad.  We have to send something truly exceptional to get beyond the combined weight of our historic Eurovision success and that heritage in order not to just blend in.  I wonder if viewers and jurists don't subconsciously think, "no, you can do so much better, I'm giving my vote to people who really want it" or at least don't just really, really want to get married.... I wonder whether that Finnish boyfriend does get the hint?  Run for your life my friend!

PS - Verka Serduchka (the Ukrainian drag queen from 2007), you sir are a legend!

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

I'm calling it now: Regional semis next year. Yeah, there's bizarre voting trends every year. But it was TOO weird seeing basically all of southern Europe - Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, San Marino, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, Cyprus, Israel, and Bulgaria, with Latvia thrown in for giggles - booted in the semis (along with Portugal, Andorra, Turkey, and Bosnia & Hurtsyourvagina Hurdygurdia Herearesomeletters not being present at all), followed by most countries in the final ending up in regional groups. Denmark and Norway at the top. Russia, Ukraine and Azerbaijan were together at the top. Italy and Malta were seventh and eighth. The Netherlands and Belgium were close all night position-wise, but wound up being split by Hungary/Romania/Moldova. There was fifteen points between Sweden and Iceland, nine between Georgia and Armenia, and only two between Estonia and Lithuania. And right down the bottom, France and Spain.

That said, I'm very happy for Anouk and the Netherlands - ninth overall, and sixth if you exclude the constant noise at the top of the table that is Russia, Greece, and Azerbaijan. But I wonder if those results are going to be declared final, given Azerbaijan were busted trying to bribe Lithuanian journalists into rigging the phone vote.

The opening film with the caterpillar travelling from Baku to Sweden by air, land, and sea? That must be a result of the open borders UKIP and Golden Dawn and all the other ultra-right-wing parties across Europe are bitching about.

Best interval act since Riverdance? It seems like it. Between all the Swedish references, the gratuitous nudity and cock-and-balls drawing (oh, Sweden), the "quit stealing our thunder, Finland" gay kiss, a Swedish Chef cameo, and Carola being blown off the stage - while singing "captured by another storm", of course - it was pure brilliance.

Lena, Lena, Lena. I love you, but (1) you're no Anke Engelke, and (2) never give the Australian commentators the chance to congratulate you for getting straight into the votes. Their complete inability to predict anything correctly five seconds before it happens is turning into a curse - among other things, they seemed to be surprise about Cyprus's twelve going to You-Know-Where. (In other vote-reader news, wow, Israel's guy has aged since last year.)

I'm disappointed by Australia's coverage this year. I love Julia Zemiro, but Sam Pang seemed even more disinterested than usual, and they basically used exactly the same jokes in the final as they did in the semi. Which weren't funny to begin with (It's past Switzerland's bedtime! The Ukrainian giant is carrying us to our commentary booth for the final if they don't qualify! "Pasha Parfeny on the Piano" is a tongue-twister! Finland were saying "For you!" over and over, not "Fuck you!"! Hohoho!). It felt more like a serious, Olympics opening ceremony-esque commentary, and that's not what I come to Eurovision for - I mean, if you're going to make a mispronunciation/accent joke at this particular Eurovision, it really should have been accidentally calling Jon Ola Sand "Julian Assange". Add in how much of the show's SBS cut out of the broadcast we saw - all bar two or three of Petra's song introductions, the Lynda Woodruff skits in the second semi and the final, and most bizarrely, the Dutch votereader giving their twelve to Belgium (we cut straight from ten points to Belgium celebrating), and with jumpcuts all over the place in other sections - and I really find myself hoping they either put the UK broadcasts on SBS2 in a few weeks, or bring back that dickhead we sent to Riga and Istanbul all those years ago.

I whether we should even bother anymore if we are simply there to fight over the bottom 5 places with the French (what was that about by the way, did my ears deceive or did we hear the first Eurovision entry about S&M?)

"I'm your slave and you're my master, oh baby come on take a shot" was a lyric in Finland's Marry Me as well. Because nothing says "equality" quite like BDSM.

Edited by SnideAsides, May 20, 2013 @ 2:36 AM.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

What did everybody else think of the interval act?  I rather liked it.  It's like we are finally allowed to treat everything with a little bit of fun and self-deprecation.  I liked that a lot and I got most of the jokes, I also had to hand it to the Irish comedian and commentator for the BBC Graham Norton when he suggested that the Turkish had to "grow up" on the two women kissing thing.  It did though feel slightly like having your cake and eating it.  I did not find the 'Linda Woodruff' character all that funny, perhaps its just a tiny little bit too far.  Nevertheless, far less po-faced that Azerbaijan and that can only be a good thing.  It is Eurovision after-all.

I would hope this might start a new trend, that you do not have to have large numbers of hosts and that just one person with some personality, wit and intelligence can hold a stage and that for example, you don't need to parachute somebody in just because they are eye-candy like Greece did in 2006 with the very American Maria Menounos.  I would also hope that perhaps we can get away from the big hangars they seem to be holding them in now-a-days to something a little smaller of perhaps 10,000-15,000.  It just seemed like a more pleasant experience for those that were there and Graham certainly appreciated it.

I think I must be a little bit weird about how I watch it.  I stay off the internet before hand, I then record the semi-finals, watch the voting first and then go back and watch only those entries that didn't qualify.  I like to be surprised on the night, come in and watch it with the coolness of the jury, judge the thing both as a song but also by how well all the other stuff around it is.  I enjoy the silly and ridiculous even though it is downright annoying when the likes of the Romanian entry place so much higher than they ought to.  That's what happens when you try too hard. 

Azerbaijan were busted trying to bribe Lithuanian journalists into rigging the phone vote.

Say it isn't so!  I realise that Eurovision voting has never made a great deal of sense, but I would feel bloody angry if I were the act and I found out my point tally might not be as it at first appears.  And if one country does try it then everybody will, that can only spell doom, why should we Brits bother being honest when other people aren't?  Then its not a song contest, its just a who can afford the biggest bribes and to host the contest frequently accordingly.

I wonder whether there ends up being a trend for punk-style wedding dresses ala Krista in Europe this year?

Sybaril

Sybaril

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

Maybe the UK could try sending Florence + the Machine next year?

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

That would be unbelievably cool but hugely unlikely.  Bribe Florence with a damehood perhaps?

Sybaril

Sybaril

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

Totally, I think she has the right combination of enough star power, vocal ability, and random kitschyness to take it all.Heck, just have her recreate the dog days music video on stage and watch the points roll in.

How does the UK select their representative? If anyone on that committee is reading this get on it and bribe Florence!

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

How does the UK select their representative? If anyone on that committee is reading this get on it and bribe Florence!

I get the sense that they desperately toss out invites and hope somebody... anybody... will accept.

Sybaril

Sybaril

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I get the sense that they desperately toss out invites and hope somebody... anybody... will accept.

LOL I gotta admit that there isn't much to suggest otherwise. The above suggestion of bribing Florence with a title sounds like a pretty good strategy to me.

Shaking Paper

Shaking Paper

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

In this years instance, it was more a case of some intern at the BBC hearing a promo CD Bonnie Tyler had sent out of her new album (Rocks and Honey in case any one was wondering, since it was the only thing she mentioned in Malmö) late last year and they liked Believe In Me. The deal was wrapped up by Christmas. Hard to believe, I know. 

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

In this years instance, it was more a case of some intern at the BBC hearing a promo CD Bonnie Tyler had sent out of her new album (Rocks and Honey in case any one was wondering, since it was the only thing she mentioned in Malmö) late last year and they liked Believe In Me. The deal was wrapped up by Christmas. Hard to believe, I know.

That really suggests no system at all.

Not that interns should be exempt  from giving advice, or that lucky accidents from such couldn't or shouldn't be followed up.  But think about the TYPE of thinking it takes for a series of people to have the thought process "you know, that Bonnie Tyler sounds like a good idea".  It means there's an assumption that nobody contemporary might be as willing or as available. 

The BBC now HAS its own talent show to farm too.  I don't get why they don't coordinate with The Voice and submit someone from there.  Maybe they fear the inevitable big loss when put in front of international voters with agendas might hurt a career, so okay... don't make it the winner of the show. 

Actually the real opportunity would be to use social media.  Put up a website with candidates (and their songs) and have the public vote for the submitted artist/song to represent the UK.  This actually protects the investment, because even if the UK contestant is inevitably screwed over by the Eurovision contest, it can really be played on the domestic end as "those damn Euros", because the public voting aspect will support the idea that it was a good candidate, despite what the bigger contest communicated.

Sybaril

Sybaril

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 3:29 PM

Do artists actually worry about hurting their career by appearing on Eurovision? I remember that in one of the interviews with Cascada, they asked Natalie if she was worried about competing in ESC as one of the bigger names among the contestants. Sure it's a kitchsy competition but I don't see how the extra exposure would hurt their career if they didn't win.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

Engelbert was definitely an inside job by the Beeb holding the purse-strings and Bonnie seems to have been similarly set-up.

I don't get why they don't coordinate with The Voice and submit someone from there

Precisely!  Will.i.am is just camp enough that he might enjoy himself doing it and aside from the awkwardness of an Irish-man (Danny from The Script) helping to pick the British entry, it could actually cut the wheat from the chaff and maybe find a suitable song to boot. 

Perhaps the BBC are nervous about trying that because the last time we attempted such a trick we got .... Josh Dubovnie and the horror that was 'That Sounds Good To Me' which he couldn't even sing right on the night.  I still blame Mike Stock and Pete Waterman for sending him out with a mediocre song.  Our best performance recently (2009) was written by Lloyd Webber and Diane Warren, yes, that Diane Warren.  Top, top people who have their fingers on the pulse at the moment are what is needed. 

Or perhaps if we can't beat 'em, join 'em and important somebody from outside and re-flag them?  Estonia had no problem with this sending Dave Benton who is from Aruba originally and merely married an Estonian.  Has anybody noticed the great irony that we Brits hail 1997 as a great moment of triumph and yet we had to get an American (the Blessed Katrina originally of Topeka, Kansas) with her Waves to sing it for us?  Okay, she's been British-resident since 1976 but its not quite the same thing as Lulu from Glasgow or Sandie of Dagenham is it?  And she still sounds like she's straight off the prairie.  She admits that she had never actually watched Eurovision properly, from start to finish, before she was in it and was stunned to discover, when it looked like she might actually win the thing that she would have to go on and encore the song despite the fact that the champagne was flowing by this point. 

And here's a scary thought, when we inevitably f**k up and send another turkey (although happily not of the Dustin variety) sung by another over-the-hill pop star (Rick Astley anybody?  The Horror!), next year, 2015 will mark a new record.  Katrina will have the record for the longest gap between a British winner and the next one.  Buzz Fizz had it for 16 and years between 1981 and 1997 and she's tied at the moment, not a glorious record is it? 

I can't help but think we deserve this, it's our own fault that Eurovision went style over substance.  We started the whole manufactured band thing to win in 1981, we decided that ridiculous dance moves were the way to win with Brotherhood of Man and that sex sold, Bucks Fizz again with those bloody skirts and that sexually suggestive lyrics were perfectly alright (I seem to remember people wondering whether Gina G was a bit much for Eurovision in 1996, now 'Ooh, Ah Just a Little Bit' seems positively tame).  The Eastern Europeans noticed this and decided that's what it took and just like everything else, we come up with the idea and everybody else does it better.   Damnation!

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 4:32 PM

According to this article, http://www.digitalsp...eurovision.html Little Boots says she'd be up for doing Eurovision next year. I think she'd be pretty good - she's quite pop, but with a dancier, edgier side. I really like her stuff, so I hope she does do it.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

Not that I think she'd be a better "get" than some of the REALLY big names, but at least she's in the right age bracket.  Better someone who's hit the Top 20 chart in the last decade than people who haven't for 30+ years.

But even unknowns (via The Voice) would be better than what they currently appear to be doing.  So Little Boots would certainly be an improvement as well.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

It's not like the UK doesn't have artists who could win - Florence and the Machine and Little Boots are at least top half of the table basically by turning up, and both Kylie and One Direction would be default Top 5 at this point - and it's not like the Beeb doesn't want to spend the money on a well-known artist. They're just idiots in the way they're doing it.

Hell, maybe bribe the Scissor Sisters - Ana Matronic's already involved with EuroBeeb.

Say it isn't so!  I realise that Eurovision voting has never made a great deal of sense, but I would feel bloody angry if I were the act and I found out my point tally might not be as it at first appears.  And if one country does try it then everybody will, that can only spell doom, why should we Brits bother being honest when other people aren't?  Then its not a song contest, its just a who can afford the biggest bribes and to host the contest frequently accordingly.

So I had some free time yesterday and worked out the results if Azerbaijan wasn't there using the Wikipedia tallies - I took out all the Azerbaijan votes, bumped everyone else up accordingly (so if Azerbaijan got a 12, the 10-point recipient now gets 12, the 8-pointer gets 10, and so on, with the spare 1 point being dumped in an "unknown" tally), and ignored Azerbaijan's own votes entirely. Long story short, San Marino would almost certainly have replaced them in the final, qualifying for the first time, and Denmark would have won by an even bigger margin. Oh, and the "unknown" points would have beaten Bonnie Tyler.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

I figured Bonnie would loose out no matter what.  I don't think even the average Brit actually Believed in Bonnie. 

Little Boots is certainly an intriguing possibility, although perhaps her stage-moniker might be a little bit esoteric for the contest, although with a name like Victoria Christina Hesketh, I can understand why she picked something a bit funkier. 

Wow!  Poor little San Marino.  Wouldn't that be great?  A little place like that getting a place.  It would be like David versus Goliath with sequins and strobe effects! 

Certainly, for one of the Big Five, there's going to have to be a really clear gimmick, some kind of simple but well-executed visual trick.  Everybody else who did reasonably had one, whether it be the drumming, the dresses/Romanian robe thing, a man in a box, a Glitter-ball or a clever use of graphics in the background and, usually, lots of dancing.  Poor Bonnie had nothing really, just wrist-bands that weren't specific to her particularly.  It's not just the song or the artist, its so much about the conventional staging that we're stuck with.  Katrina, the Olson Brothers or any of the other conventional balladeers wouldn't have a prayer now-a-days.  Which doesn't bode well for the three-time contestant Chiara Siracusa from Malta (3rd in 1998, 2nd in 2005 and 22nd in 2009 singing all alone on the stage) does it? 

Forgive me, I haven't taken over the page have I?

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

Wow!  Poor little San Marino.  Wouldn't that be great?  A little place like that getting a place.  It would be like David versus Goliath with sequins and strobe effects!

I figure they'd probably do pretty well, too. They'd get Italy's 12 instead of Denmark (both because of the "our lovely neighbours" thing and because Valentina Monetta sang in Italian), and probably a decent amount of regional votes from southern Europe as well, since there weren't many other qualifiers from the region. Add in a few stray votes from the rest of Europe and I can easily see them in about tenth or eleventh, if not better.

Certainly, for one of the Big Five, there's going to have to be a really clear gimmick, some kind of simple but well-executed visual trick.  Everybody else who did reasonably had one, whether it be the drumming, the dresses/Romanian robe thing, a man in a box, a Glitter-ball or a clever use of graphics in the background and, usually, lots of dancing.

I don't know - Anouk finished ninth, and didn't have any gimmick or any clever graphics. And most of this year's big gimmicks - dubstepping astronauts, vertical drumming, the contest's first ever stage dive - all got bundled out in the semis. I do think for next year, though, they need to institute an "if you don't bring it on stage yourself, you can't use it as your gimmick" rule to stop it from seeming like the producers are playing favourites - they were basically throwing their spunk on Denmark just as much as that Dutch wanker did to poor Sakis when Greece held the contest.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

The Dutch entry continues to confound me.  I like the song, it was different and stood out in the contest, which definitely helped them.  I remain to be convinced that it was particularly Eurovision.  But then I suppose, that's what everybody and his dog said about Lordi.  Shows you what I know about anything!

Vote San Marino in next year's semis.  Third times the charm Valentina!

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2014 @ 1:10 AM

The BBC has revealed the UK entry. It's surprisingly not awful, if a bit generic (and the singer is under 50!).