At the Movies: Ebert and Roeper & Beyond

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1073 replies to this topic

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 8:39 PM

Yanking the show would really be the most merciful thing for the two hosts.

Actually, I think yanking the two hosts would really be the most merciful thing for the show. And the viewers. I watched the first few episodes, finally deciding to give it a break for a few months to give them time to get better. They haven't. My dearest hope is that TPTB (namely: Mr. and Mrs. Ebert) will sit down and give this show a good, hard look and give serious thought to ditching them. These two are just not verbally articulate in a way that works on television.

Bring back A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips! Or at least provide us with better reviewers. *sigh*

trifle

trifle

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 8:37 AM

My problem is that I never remember this show is on. In Chicago they keep bouncing it between the Friday 7:30 and 8:30pm time slot. Pick a time, already. And a better night wouldn't hurt, either.

IdiotJed

IdiotJed

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 6:27 AM

I dunno why but that Jackson Murphy kid creeps me the F out. Just something about him, can't explain it.

Happy to say that all of their worst picks I have not seen. It could mean that I have amazing tastes or just plain 'ol common sense.

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 7:23 PM

I dunno why but that Jackson Murphy kid creeps me the F out. Just something about him, can't explain it.

He doesn't creep me out per se, but I don't get why I'm supposed to CARE about the opinion of a 13 year old.

trifle

trifle

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 10:05 AM

I cannot STAND that kid.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

I don't get why I'm supposed to CARE about the opinion of a 13 year old.

It's funny, because I had the same thought when Ignatiy was announced as co-host, but with 24 instead of 13 in the sentence.

little ghost

little ghost

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 11:35 PM

Well, you do have a point with that, I don't really care about what any of the hosts on this show have to say. Actually, I do think that is my point with the show. I don't care what either of the hosts have to say about movies.

sandyjoys

sandyjoys

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

So they have just been playing ancient S&E episodes the past few weeks (well, I didn't bother watching the last one). So I assume something is going to change or cancellation is upon us.

trifle

trifle

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2011 @ 8:10 AM

They might just have a limited season. I imagine their busy period is the run-up to the Oscars, so if they are going to take a break it might as well be now.

I love the old episodes, but we are in pledge season in Chicago again. I usually catch the rerun of this show on Saturday, but they don't air it when they're shilling for cash. When I was a kid, we got pledge drives once or twice a year. Now it feels like every other month they have their hands out.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

I love the old episodes, but we are in pledge season in Chicago again. I usually catch the rerun of this show on Saturday, but they don't air it when they're shilling for cash. When I was a kid, we got pledge drives once or twice a year. Now it feels like every other month they have their hands out.

Same here in San Francisco -- it was pledge all month and KQED doesn't broadcast "At the Movies." Maybe that's the case with most PBS outlets so they didn't bother producing new eps. I was able to pick up the old Siskel & Ebert eps on another PBS station and must say that I thoroughly enjoyed them, especially the "Best/Worst of 1978" one from last week. For one thing, Spot the Wonder Dog (!), and also, Gene's words about Hollywood's blockbuster mentality were so amazingly prescient. It's reminded me that there was nothing like the chemistry between those two, and there never will be again.

trifle

trifle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 12:00 PM

Looks like this might be the end:

Out of Money

I'm just wondering, how did they expect to take this past one season if that's all they had financing for? I don't know what kind of revenue a show of this type would generate, seeing that it airs on PBS with limited opportunities for advertisers.

I think the Kickstarter suggestion is a good one.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

I don't quite get how this show works. Ebert tweeted about the show reviewing Tower Heist & a bunch of other new movies over the weekend, but we got a canned show on 3D in NYC. They also repurposed all those 30 year old shows over the summer. I loved seeing Siskel & Ebert on TV again, but they weren't reviewing any new movies for at least a month this summer.

trifle

trifle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 10:14 AM

That's odd--we got the new show with the review of Tower Heist in Chicago.

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

Ebert and/or the people scheduling the show don't get that times have changed.
With the original show, it became appointment television because there was simply nothing like it.
But now? There's way too much knowledge about films in the general public. Everybody has already gotten the buzz on films weeks before they open.

To put it simply, they don't show the weekly reviews enough to grow a devoted audience.
They need to take a cue from cable and put the week's review on three, four, even five times a week.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

My local PBS station is in the middle of its eight millionth pledge drive of the year, so they didn't air this weekend's show until last night. I was amazed to see it was a special on "race & the movies" -- actually "African-Americans & the movies" since no other races were mentioned. Isn't this the busiest time of the year for high profile releases? Maybe it's just as well the show is going on hiatus at the end of the year. (Though I do hope they have time to do a best-of-2011 episode before departing.) PBS, with its ridiculous dependance on dumping its regular shows in favor of airing "special" pledge drive programming at least 3 months out of the year, just isn't the right fit for this show... it would do better on a cable channel or even just online.

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I miss this show. Even though it wasn't the same without Ebert, I have always liked the format and hearing the opinions of upcoming movies. I would like to see it return at some point.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

I'm so sorry to read that Roger Ebert.is back in the hospital:

http://my.chicagotri...e/p2p-75176365/

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

Roger has passed away.

What a sad day. But goddamn, did he make the most of his life after the bad news hit. Just absolutely amazing.

Edited by Mean Dean, Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:46 PM.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

It's shocking and very sad. He and Gene can start sparring again. That was such fun to watch, even when I didn't know anything about (or care about) the movie they were reviewing.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

RIP Roger. I always loved reading his reviews.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

RIP, Roger Ebert. Say hi to Gene Siskel. The movie review shows up in heaven will be a blast. Two thumbs up, for sure.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:12 AM

Every news show covered Roger's passing. Spike Lee released a statement in tribute. MSNBC had a 30 minute panel about it. Roger Ebert single-handedly created the broadcast movie critic, and changed the landscape of TV in the process. He was the original, the first of his kind. And no one ever did it better.

Thank you and Godspeed, Roger.

Uncle Bmore

Uncle Bmore

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 3:14 AM

I got a very bad feeling reading his blog entry of Wednesday April 3rd regarding his "Leave of Presence", but I still was shocked hearing the news. I miss Gene still and it's hard to believe they're both gone now. One of my favorite memories of Siskel & Ebert was the time that they wandered around a neighborhood in New Jersey with David Letterman. They just walked up to peoples' houses and started chatting them up. A simple, but hilarious and brilliant bit of business.

Sadly it appears that Gene and Roger were irreplaceable. There is not a single show on American Television today which consistently provides intelligent criticism of the movies or any other aspect of our Popular Culture. Roger and Gene taught me how to watch movies, and I can't count how many films I would've missed without them steering me in the right direction.

Thank you Roger, you really enriched my life, and you will be greatly missed.

k2p2

k2p2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

When I read his "Leave of Presence" announcement, I thought, "Cancer again? This can't be good." I also marveled at how he tossed that in almost as an afterthought. Mostly, he was excited about all of his plans for the upcoming year.

Roger had every good reason to give up and fade into obscurity. Instead, he kept doing what he loved until the last possible moment. Sure, he taught us a lot about movies, but he also showed us how to have a fully-lived life. What an amazing legacy! I give him a thumbs up.