Buy Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3267 replies to this topic

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

I didn't feel sorry for those kids. They let their great grandmother sleep on a couch so they could sleep in a bed. I don't know how that family works but I would have been on the couch or the floor long before great grandma on the couch was even a consideration.

Anyway, I liked the realtor. It was clear that he helped her because she was his client before he hit it big. Which I think is great and he also, as we could all see, could tell this family needed help and to move on with their lives. I didn't think he was playing to the cameras in the least, maybe if she hadn't been his customer in the past, then I could believe it, but because of that, I don't buy that he was playing to the cameras. And he definitely helped a lot by buying that other place and upped the comparable on the market, especially since the homeowner was just going to keep lowering it until it was sold. I also think Connie's place actually sold on its own, there were a surprising number of people looking at their place, had they only let them in, they would have sold sooner.

I loved that the narrator noted that he was now with his "young wife". I was dying, cause that definitely looked like it was his daughter and he had just bought her a new pony.

VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2008 @ 9:31 AM

I loved that the narrator noted that he was now with his "young wife". I was dying, cause that definitely looked like it was his daughter and he had just bought her a new pony.

Buying his daughter a pony! OMG that is so true!

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 2:57 PM

Are there any new eps coming on? All my guide is showing are the repeats airing on Fine Living, and that Design Star is taking the place that Buy Me's were airing on Monday nights. It would royally suck if there were no new Buy Me(s) throughout the entire run of Design Star.

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

• Interests:My family, reading...oh, and of course television.

Posted Jun 19, 2008 @ 6:16 PM

I caught a repeat one day last week, sorry don't have the exact details. It was on my DVR and I deleted it. It was an old one. From 2005 I think.The couple had purchased a beautiful home for $660,000 and put $120,000 into it. The wife was a designer and the place was lovely if a bit "overdone".

Turns out two years later they were up to their eyeballs and needed to get out, so they bought another cheaper place ($440,000). And now they were in a hurry to sell the old one before they had to make two crippling payments.

I had never seen this episode and found it to be very gratifying in the end. The husband bugged me just enough to make this a fun one to watch. He admitted to having some control issues, but he completely missed the point of the agent's strategy. She priced the house low, held only two open houses, and then accepted offers on one day. All in an attempt to run up the price and start a bidding war. It worked perfectly and they got what they wanted. Even after it worked, he very smugly refused to accept that it was the right thing to do. He kept insisting that they would have gotten the same result had they just listed at the price he thought the house was worth and skipped the "whole bidding war nonsense". It was pretty funny.

But the best laugh-out-loud moment was when he triumphantly cheered to his baby daughter that He and Mommy had been financially responsible by doing what they did. Umm, Buddy? You got damn lucky. Had he overpriced the place, he would have been sitting on it and suffering through two house payments. No doubt screaming about what a crappy job his real estate agent was doing!!

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 10:45 AM

The couple had purchased a beautiful home for $660,000 and put $120,000 into it. The wife was a designer and the place was lovely if a bit "overdone".

Is this the one with the gorgeous older house that the Man in Black kept calling the Dream Home in that doom-ridden tone of his, and the wife did all the dirty work of getting the house ready for sale dressed to the nines? I think at the end the house sold to a lady from down the block?

If so, I liked that episode, if only for the lessons learned. I kind of wish that the people on Property Virgins had to sit down and watch that episode before they too entered into a world of too much house for their income.

missdavenport

missdavenport

Couch Potato

• Interests:My family, reading...oh, and of course television.

Posted Jun 20, 2008 @ 7:17 PM

the wife did all the dirty work of getting the house ready for sale dressed to the nines? I think at the end the house sold to a lady from down the block?

That's the one. It's amazing they could move "down the block" for that kind of money. YIKES!! The wife seemed happy to be selling to someone they knew. I had forgotten about that. It was kind of touching.

MontrealMom

MontrealMom

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

For those of you keen to watch old eps, I just notived on HGTV that you can watch some on their website:

HGTV - Buy Me episodes

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:18 PM

So, no new episodes until at least September? (I can't find anything on HGTV's schedule, though that was a day or two ago. And, Fine Living is only listing 100 series repeats).

I so wish that the Buy Me people would work their mojo on a spin-off which is from a buyer's perspective as they look for homes (yes, a realistic/gritty version of House Hunters. I did like Discovery's short-lived Double Agents, but that seemed to fail because the episodes lacked a narrative (seemed that in half of the episodes, the prospective buyers didn't find a home) and was an hour long, so not as digestible as a half-hour episode.

Random find regarding a USA-based episode (Raleigh, NC) -- city-data.com forum posts by the purported homeowner. Discussion in this thread started on page 119, also found another discussion on page 141.

Edited by ScribblerGuy, Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:18 PM.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 10:39 PM

Interesting reading about the Raleigh episode. I remember that one. Its nice to know maybe it wasn't as bad, but I still don't agree with the pricing strategy of the agent, and overpricing in a very family friendly neighborhood with a sloped backyard just never seems like a good idea. She just didn't come off well, overly aggressive and for the wrong reasons, trying to drive up the prices in that market.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 9:20 AM

I so wish that the Buy Me people would work their mojo on a spin-off which is from a buyer's perspective as they look for homes

Have you seen Property Virgins? It is <kind> of like Buy Me, in that it is at least in the neighborhood of reality, unlike most of the other real estate shows on HGTV, which are still pushing the fairy tale endings nonsense in a horrible real estate market. And bonus for early fans of Buy Me--the host of PV appeared on an early episode of Buy Me as a realtor. She was nice on Buy Me, kind of pushy and opinioned on Property Virgins.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:02 PM

I agree with your assessment of Sandra on PV and Buy Me wholeheartedly.

Maybe a buyer's version of the show, would be great if the home buyer's were searching for a home themselves without a realtor or where a realtor played a very small role. With our man in black narrating.

If you're looking for some realism, watch My House Is Worth What? In the last two months I've seen one couple get $100k less than what they thought their house was worth and another couple who literally lost $300k on their entire investment. Many others who are disappointed but those are some of the most memorable. I hope people are watching this show and its helping them get real. Things are rough, no need to act like they aren't.

I can't wait to see new Buy Me(s) because selling in this market, I can't imagine how good those eps will be. Not happy about waiting til September.

MontrealMom

MontrealMom

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 1, 2008 @ 11:00 PM

Buy Me is on every day on HGTV at 10 am, so I've been recording some episodes and catching up.

I saw the episode with Dolores and almost fell out of my chair as I worked with her for many years. Great person and a hard worker. I remember she had been separated at the time and was hoping to work it out and I guess it didn't happen judging from the divorce. I was happy she got what she wanted for her house.

I also saw the episode with Marty -- he had to sell fast to move to Europe and I was trying to figure out where the condo was because the area looked familiar. Right close to the end of the episode I saw a landmark that I needed. I know exactly where that condo was. It WAS a very busy corner and I could see that being somewhat of a tough sell. Also, those condos look better on the inside.

I also saw Autumne and Guthrie. I just didn't like these people at all. The whole thing seemed very strange, the house was a mess, and she was bitching on price because she wanted money to buy a fancy wedding ring. The ring will come in due time when you have spare cash. They were damn lucky they got what they did. Really curious where this episode was filmed. It wasn't Montreal, because the road signs were in English.

edited for typos

Edited by MontrealMom, Aug 1, 2008 @ 11:01 PM.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2008 @ 9:50 AM

MontrealMom, I'm jealous. The US schedule hasn't changed to include more repeats of Buy Me, though we still get some on FLN while we wait for new ones (but they seem to be the same repeats over and over from what I can tell).

What happened in Dolores' episode? I don't recall the other two, but Autumn and Guthrie's do sound vaguely familiar.

MontrealMom

MontrealMom

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2008 @ 5:36 PM

What happened in Dolores' episode? I don't recall the other two, but Autumn and Guthrie's do sound vaguely familiar.

Dolores had divorced from her husband and he and his new girlfreind had bought a house a 5-minute walk from hers. She didn't want him that close. She wanted to list for $225K and was hoping to get about $210 "in her pocket" so that she could buy a new place for her and her 2 kids and maintain the same standard of living. She refused $208, but later got another offer for $218. She was delighted, house inspection passed, and she found a new house to live in. I was biased on this one -- because I know her, I just wanted her to do well.

For Marty, he got an offer for a transfer to Austria so he needed to sell fast. In the end, he got a bit less than he wanted to, but I think he did OK. Initially I thought I wouldn't like him but he seemed OK in the end.

Autumne and Guthrie just came off as lazy and entitled when their house had so many things that needed work. Their attitude was "my house is worth it" -- the $339K they were asking that is. Well, maybe if all the things were done properly it would be. Just a bad vibe from them. They then built a big ass house for $545K. Have no idea how they could take on that mortage with 3 adults and 4 kids in the house -- only 1 of which was working and I didn't get the impression that Guthrie was making a mint at his job.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2008 @ 8:57 PM

For those in need of a Buy Me fix, HGTV (USA) just showed an episode (9:30 Eastern) and according to their schedule, will be showing another episode in the same timeslot next week (Aug 27th). As of September 1, they have the show listed in the Mondays @ 11:00 PM timeslot.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

Yay! Thanks for the update. I really don't like that Buy Me was bumped for Design Star, but I'm happy its finally back. It would have been great to have more new eps during the summer though.

benevolentToaster

benevolentToaster

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2008 @ 8:30 AM

Did anyone see the episode this week (Not sure which day, I was watching it on Tivo) with the two gentlemen and their daughter, trying to sell their house for 599K? The buyers came in and offered 536 after inspection revealed some significant problems (foundation, roof, drainage, etc). They were all up in arms about how insulting this was and they were furious with their agent for being a dual-agent.

I am torn on how to feel about these guys. On one hand, I understand the mistrust they feel toward their agent, because now they don't know whose best interest he is acting in, but on the other hand, they can't get pissy for problems revealed during the inspection. It's to the sellers' advantage to KNOW the fair market value of their house. If it had been priced correctly to begin with, there would be no conflict on this front.

doublebungalow

doublebungalow

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2008 @ 9:39 PM

I felt sorry for the woman in Greeley Colorado. She used her equity in her home to open a business and it was not as successful as she thought it would be (she moved the business to her house). She did have a basement apartment but it was tiny. She was not renting it currently. The biggest heartbreak was that she refused a good offer and ended up with an offer that left her $30,000 in debt.

I wonder what her CORPORATE JOB was. She must not have skills that she coulld transfer to another job.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2008 @ 12:11 AM

I didn't really feel sorry for her because she brought it on herself. She shouldn't have jumped into the goofy business like she did and she certainly shouldn't have used up so much equity. If you're going to start a niche business like doggie couture, you need to start slowing to make sure there's a large enough demand to support a full-time business. Had she stuck with doing it part-time while keeping her real job, she would've been better off. She also wouldn't listen to her first agent about painting and decluttering, but that agent did screw her over by not posting the photos post-paint job. I laughed when she had to accept an offer for far less than the $284,000 she could've had.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2008 @ 8:51 AM

Did anyone see the episode this week (Not sure which day, I was watching it on Tivo) with the two gentlemen and their daughter, trying to sell their house for 599K?

I think I remember that one. I was ambivilant about the sellers because they seemed so bound and determined to blame the realtor for things that weren't really the realtor's fault. But I did get the feeling that they were really nice guys, just in a highly emotional situation. Which is why I would never in a million years go on a real estate show--I can only imagine the kinds of things I'd say!

I didn't really feel sorry for her because she brought it on herself.

Ditto on this. I might have felt sorry for her if I'd gotten the idea she'd planned out her business with care, but I have the feeling that anybody who thinks they can rake in big bucks via doggie couture isn't thinking logically. And she did get an offer for her house, not the amount she wanted, but not "enough". But if Buy Me has taught me nothing else, I have learned that a house is only worth what somebody is willing to pay. If only the folks on My House is Worth What had to learn that lesson before they began to make grandious plans based on a number a real estate agent hands them as if it were an actually stack of money.

HD Dee Dee

HD Dee Dee

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:06 AM

I didn't really feel sorry for her because she brought it on herself.

I agree that she did by putting (read: wasting) that much of her money on a business that was, IMHO, even more of a long shot than most small businesses. I do think they said something, though, that she had started the business AFTER having lost her "fancy corporate" job. I do wonder what that was. I think she'd be a hoot to hang out with, but I don't really see her fitting into a big time corporate environment, unless it was in something like advertising. I've been trying to figure out what she might have done (and what happened to her job) since I first saw this episode.

I can't believe that first agent hadn't put up the "after" pictures. I was really on her side until that part.

digdig

digdig

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

Poor Macy, the doggie designer. I do wish she would just go get a real job, but there was something there I liked. She was so enamored with the good condition of her rental abode at the end; it made me think perhaps she might be one of those people that just shouldn't own.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 12:36 AM

I think you're right, digdig. Home ownership isn't for everyone and sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about maintaining a house.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

Oh, Lord love a duck was this episode hard to watch! I felt bad for the HO at first, as she seemed pretty shell-shocked about everything happening in her life. But to see her just stick on that price, even though nicer homes around her were selling for less, was extremely frustrating. I thought her friend was very generous to sell her house without charging her a commision.

Good on her for picking up the job at Starbucks, but did I mishear her say that she had a law degree? I know she wants to spend a lot of time with her boys, but I would think she could put that degree to use with some sort of clerking job or even a paralegal if she didn't want to practice law full-time. And by full-time I mean the 75+ hour lawyer workweek.

Beccadawg

Beccadawg

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 9:38 PM

I've seen some dumba**es on Buy Me before, but I think the woman tonight might take the cake. She has a law degree and is desperate for money, so she is working as a barrista. Because her twin sons, age 14, need their mommy. So I love it that they show one of the kids staying home sick and she goes off to work anyway. And of course her rundown house is worth $50K more than identical ones in the neighborhood, because she needs that extra money. Where do they find these people?

PaintStickConvert

PaintStickConvert

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

I hate episodes like this that beg for an interactive elements, where the HO are forced to answer to our shouted questions!

Didn't she get a settlement from her divorce!? Doesn't he have to pay child support!? What, did he go on the lam after embezzling from whatever corporation he was CEO of?

Did she accept nothing but the house as a settlement, since she said that the house was her only asset? Some law degree!

And I didn't get her anger at the free home inspection that went wrong. First, it's your shit, look after it. Second, the mold could have developed in the months your house has moldered on the market. Third, you were squawking at spending the money on totally necessary repairs then, how you have felt about another couple thousand for mold removal?

She was utterly deluded. How do they find these people? Put out ads that read: Do you believe that your house is worth more than the market can bear? Do you have a sob story of crushing financial weight? Is your roof making an ominous creaking noise that you've been ignoring for years? Call us!

ETA: At 13, I had a part time job, to pay for my shit. Just sayin'....

Edited by PaintStickConvert, Sep 4, 2008 @ 1:38 AM.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:20 AM

How do they find these people? Put out ads that read: Do you believe that your house is worth more than the market can bear? Do you have a sob story of crushing financial weight? Is your roof making an ominous creaking noise that you've been ignoring for years? Call us!

I think that is what they must do. So many of these homeowners seem to be totally delusional. Our friend Mimi comes to mind. There was a woman who just truly didn't have a clue. And my personal favorite Virginia was totally out of it. Then there was the motivational speaker, the family who thought their agent would really be able to get California prices for a house in North Carolina. The list goes on and on.

But I think that is why I like this show so much--because I "know" a lot of these people in the form of acquaintances who overprice their houses, impose odd limitations on when the house can be viewed, do all they can to sabotage the sale process, then wonder why people aren't flocking to buy. Unlike so much of the pap on HGTV, I don't believe for a minute this show is staged. Edited, sure. I don't think we get a complete picture of what went on, but we sure get a real picture of what it is like to sell a house.

bzlthe1st

bzlthe1st

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:22 AM

I agree about the woman with the law degree. I was thinking all those same things myself while watching it. She could have easily picked up a "regular" day job, heck even as a secretary. Something was off in her story, IMO. Coffee shop work is actually quite stressful and the hours are all over the place. Steady office work would have been far more supportive of her "I need to be there for my boys" claim. And doesn't her ex at least pay child support? What is up with that? I can't help but wonder if maybe she fought tooth and nail for the house, and agreed to ONLY that, then AFTER THE FACT realized what a hole she was digging herself into by doing so.

Edited by bzlthe1st, Sep 4, 2008 @ 9:24 AM.

kkak97

kkak97

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 4, 2008 @ 1:36 PM

I was right there with you...shocked at how ridiculous this woman was, and how irresponsible.

What kind of role model is she for her children to sit whine and cry about debt, but not get a real job.
She could get a part-time job as an attorney and still have benefits and make a lot more money than
she does at Starbucks. It was just ridiculous.

About the house, needed thousands and thousands of dollars in updating, and she wants peopel to pay what
she thinks it's worth, not what the market is mandating. Amazing. I know this is horrible to say, but this show
clearly demonstrated why her marriage was not successful. Can you imagine being married to someone so hell
bent on playing the victim?

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2008 @ 9:57 AM

Wow, this is the most realistic real estate show on TV right now. That woman is just about your average home seller today - - "I need to make X amount of money, so run off and go get it for me now. " Sorry, realtors are not magicians. Home buyers tend to not like to over pay for homes, and clearly they are making a statement loud and clear when they are ignoring your home and buying others that are priced correctly.

If she's losing $1000/month by living in that house, she just threw away the $10,000 price reduction she could have made and sold her home 11 months ago.

Not to mention her poor friend is stuck trying to sell a home that cannot be sold at its price. And even though her friend is working for free, she will still have to pay a commission to the agent that brings in the buyer, so it's not totally free.