Buy Me

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3267 replies to this topic

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 9:45 PM

Buy Me! (Broadcast Premiere) Jan. 2004
If walls could talk! From the production team behind Debbie Travisí Facelift,
this 13-part series follows the real-life drama of real estate. Told from the
perspective of the house, each episode chronicles the history of a different home,
from former owners and renovations to the cosmetic upgrades made
in preparation for being put on the market. The house comments on the real
estate agents, the home inspectors and the parade of prospective buyers until
finally someone makes an offer to call this house their home.

Anyone else watching this show on HGTV Canada? I love this new genre of real-estate shows, where they teach you how to stage your home to get the best resale value. This show in particular is great because it's so snarky in editing the homeowners to look as cheap and unyielding as possible. It's amazing how much just a few thousand dollars in upgrades can add much more than that to your asking price.

In the same vein, I love the British import "Selling Houses". It's full of great tips, and the transformations on the show are always spectacular. It's a totall "House Doctor" ripoff, but a good one.

gennymartel

gennymartel

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 12:31 AM

Anyone else watching this show on HGTV Canada?

I'm in Canada. When it is on? Sounds interesting.

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 9:54 AM

That's a tricky question. According to the HGTV website, it's scheduled to appear next on Sunday, May 8, at 3:30 p.m. I have been catching "Buy Me" and "Selling Houses," usually back to back, on Tuesday afternoons, between 4 and 5 pm EST. I think. And then I usually see the same episodes repeated later in the week, I think Wednesday nights at 8. But they sure aren't getting a lot of promotion.

And they are really good shows! Why isn't anyone watching but me? If you like "House Doctor" or "Sell This House" you will like these! (sounds like I'm on Reading Rainbow)

gennymartel

gennymartel

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 10:54 AM

Why isn't anyone watching but me?

But they sure aren't getting a lot of promotion.

Couyld be the reason why '-) I'm going to pour over the TV guide today and make a note to watch them. I saw a good one while I was in the States on the HGTV channel called Double Agents (about selling your house) that was very interesting. I have to see if we carry that one as well.

Dree

Dree

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 3:43 PM

I like this show - I usually catch it Sunday afternoons at 4:30 Nfld time, which would be 3 pm EST. It makes me miss living in Montreal and it amuses me when the narrator ends up floating on a roof or something similarly bizarre.

Maybelline

Maybelline

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 8:08 PM

Dree, is the show filmed in Montreal? I ask because I am always trying to figure out where they are. Tonight's episode featured a two bedroom condo that was nice, but the carpet had some damage, the kitchen was very dated, and it wasn't terribly spacious. But the condo sold for $300,000, which seems pretty steep to me.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 10:28 AM

I've caught a few eps of this and I'm enjoying it. It's very interesting to see the difference a few cosmetic touches can make. I love House Doctor too.

Dree

Dree

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

Maybelline, most of the episodes have been filmed in greater Montreal, but there's definitely at least one, the one with the "bidding party", that's in Toronto.

RacerX

RacerX

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 12:00 PM

You can't run a search for this topic.

This just started on HGTV in the US.

Determined real estate agents, disenchanted homeowners and a pressing deadline. How far will they go to close the deal on a home?

Time, money and tempers build on HGTV's new series Buy Me. Watch as people try to sell their homes in order to move closer to their dreams.

They quote prices which I guess people were missing from other home buying and selling shows but since it's Canadian dollars from 2003, I'm not sure how much math I want to do to make it relevant. My disclaimer is that I never thought hearing about what people paid was ever relevant since if I were really interested I'd read the classifieds.

Our first show was the one with the bachelor who was too laid back for his real estate agent's comfort. He seemed to want to create a situation where it was impossible to sell his house but somehow it all managed to come together.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 12:18 PM

Gawd, that guy was an asshat! He fought the realtor on every reasonable suggestion she had to make his ugly house saleable at the inflated price he demanded she put on it, and then he kept going off on vacations when she needed him around. And he was just plain rude and smug. I really resented that he got the new house with such a lowball offer. And she deserved a much larger commission on his crappy house for the hell he put her through. Didn't even tidy up the office room.

I noticed he left his pool full of water in the dead of winter. Doesn't that make the concrete crack, when it ices up like that?

Edited by Shnuglet, Sep 1, 2005 @ 12:19 PM.

philmphile

philmphile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 12:59 PM

Yes, I saw this show on HGTV last night. It came off a little phony and staged to me, though; the bachelor being so unreasonable, a buyer conveniently showing up, a seller conveniently accepting the lower price, etc. I guess I'll have to watch a few more episodes to make a judgment. I liked that they showed the home prices, but being Canadian dollars, it was a little hard to do the calculations with the offers and counter offers. I wish they would subtitle what it is in US dollars. I think I saw a British show that did the currency conversions onscreen.

kbcubed

kbcubed

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 2:25 PM

The situation isn't "staged". They advertise for realtors and sellers to participate in the show. If you've only seen one episode you have only started to see the drama. Not every house sells. Sometimes there is no buyer in sight. Sometimes the realtor gets fired.

As for doing conversions maybe it's just a Canuck thing but most of us of a certain age can
- read enough of the other language to make Kraft Dinner when we are too lazy to turn over the box
- buy our deli meat in grams and our roasts in pounds
- still talk about miles per gallon and buy our gas by the litre
- talk about our property in yards and feet while buying fabric by the metre
- sweat just as much at 30 degrees Celsius as we do at 82 (or is it 84) Fahrenheit
- can give you the latest CDN/US conversion rate at the drop of a hat.

Mind you that's because it gets announced on the local radio station about as frequently as the weather, traffic reports, ferry and border line ups.

As a quick rule of thumb the US dollars will be somewhere between 70 to 80 percent of the price. So when we cross border shop anything that we want to purchase had better have numbers that are at least 25% lower than at home or it's not worth it.

Edit as per

philmphile

"Obviously, we in the Baja Canada don't have the intelligence/survival skills to sweat in Celsius and Fahrenheit simultaneously."

Since it appears that spelling counts in the final mark.

Edited by kbcubed, Sep 2, 2005 @ 6:31 PM.

RacerX

RacerX

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 2:43 PM

And she deserved a much larger commission on his crappy house for the hell he put her through.

She might be used to ignoring completely idiotic statements. Maybe the bachelor was a complete idiot and rather than get worked up about it she just ignored it.

philmphile

philmphile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 7:19 PM

sweat just as much at 30 degrees Celcius as we do at 82 (or is it 84) Farenheit

Thanks, kbcubed, for the insight. Obviously, we in the Baja Canada don't have the intelligence/survival skills to sweat in Celsius and Fahrenheit simultaneously.

Edited by philmphile, Sep 1, 2005 @ 7:24 PM.

dragonlady1964

dragonlady1964

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 7:27 PM

That guy was such a childish twit. Made me just want to smack him around. No wonder he's a bachelor - who'd want to put up with that?

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

They never said what, if anything, was done about the cracks in the foundation.
Isn't that something that you must disclose to the buyer?

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

The homeowner patched the cracks. Small cracks are signs of settling. An inspection would reveal foundation problems.

blorkiemom

blorkiemom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2005 @ 9:27 PM

An inspection would reveal foundation problems.

Which gets at what I thought was missing from this show: the drama after escrow starts. Every time I've bought or sold a house, the real action was between acceptance of offer and close of escrow; that's where real $ is on the line and people really try to pull stuff. Not that I'm a home inspector, or anything, but one of those cracks looked like more than a normal settling crack--space had opened up. Maybe nothing, but maybe a big-bucks repair. So I wonder what happened in the next 30 days . . .

Mpress Elle

Mpress Elle

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 9:44 AM

I think the only reason Amanda put up with the assy bachelor is because they are old friends from high school. They should show this episode at real estate school as an object lesson on why not to do business with friends. She did get a decent commission though, so maybe it was worth it.

I liked it better than most other real estate shows that are currently on the air. The initial walk through of his house was cool, and I for one appreciate the information on prices, and on the real estate agent's commission. Definitely gets a season pass on my imitation Tivo that the cable guy brought.

DarylHB

DarylHB

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 11:11 AM

Yeah, I definitely liked this show. The bachelor just seemed like one of those people who likes to argue and give you a hard time even if he eventually plans on doing what you suggest. I do look forward to seeing future episodes where things don't work out. Can you believe they took an offer 38,000 less than the listing price? Would have been nice to know how long that house had been on the market.

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 1:42 PM

I think someone mentioned that the owners of the house he bought were carrying two mortgages -- they'd already purchased their new home. So their old house would have been on the market for at least a few months.

But this guy wasn't really taking his decisions seriously. Yeah, he was selling his house, if he could fit it into his schedule. For the realtor, this is her business, and didn't want to put all that time into a nothing venture. Not that Mr. La-di-da could see that this wasn't all about him.

DarylHB

DarylHB

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 1:52 PM

I think someone mentioned that the owners of the house he bought were carrying two mortgages -- they'd already purchased their new home. So their old house would have been on the market for at least a few months

Thanks, ChelseaNH, now that you mention it I do remember the bachelor saying that at the end.

I for one appreciate the information on prices, and on the real estate agent's commission.

I like those aspects of the show also. Especially since I've never seen a show mention the agent's commission.

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 6:42 PM

I'd like it if more shows really showed how little money we actually get as realtors! If I take a listing for a 5% commission and another agency brings in a buyer right there I split the commission with the buyer's agent so we each get 2.5%. On top of that the company I work for takes 50%* off of my 2.5% for my commission split, and on top of that I have to pay another 6% for administrative costs! And I still need to pay for gas, car payments, advertising materials, etc.

It just bothers me sometimes when people think that we actually get to keep the 5% commission that we list homes for. I wish !!

(*In my company the commission split is on a sliding scale, the more you make the higher percentage you get to keep. But every January 1st it reverts back to 50% until you build it back up again.)

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 7:23 PM

You can tell that sometimes the realtors want to smack the homeowners. I remember one ep with a couple who were selling their condo, and the husband was dead set on an asking price, while the realtor was showing him listings of condos for sale in the very same building that were priced $15k or so less. Bigger condos, too. And the husband kept arguing with him over the price.

TheLady2

TheLady2

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 8:02 PM

First time viewer of this show and I liked it. The agent had her hands full with the seller but she did get a hefty commission out of it. The seller, boy in a man's body, didn't take any of it seriously. But in the end, he got a really nice house for a very good price. All in all, everyone ended up happy. Buyer of the old home included.

DarylHB

DarylHB

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 8:28 PM

Ashleigh's Mom, I am just about to complete my state licensure and am very interested in what being a realtor is really like. I was thinking that I probably won't be able to get the real scoop until I sign with a company and hear it from coworkers. (The company I am most interested in has a mentor program, your first 2 sales you give your mentor 25% of your split to compensate for all the help they provide you). Im way off topic, sorry.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 9:03 PM

I thought the seller was a total tool, and I think that realtor had the patience of a saint to put up with his nonsense. My gut feeling about him was that he wasn't really committed to selling or buying. I think he was just testing the waters. I truly think he had the agent lowball the seller of the home he eventually bought because he thought the offer would be rejected, or at least negotiated. That would get him out of the whole process. When his lowball offer was accepted, he realized he'd shot himself in the foot and had to save face.
Childhood friend or no, she really earned her commission on that one - especially having to organize his clean-up and staging while his worthless friends were living it up in the hot tub.
Realtors out there: are many of your clients like this a**hole?

Edited by jerseydevil, Sep 5, 2005 @ 9:04 PM.

Ashleigh's Mom

Ashleigh's Mom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 5:56 AM

Wow, I could tell you stories. My worst customer ever I just closed on her home last week. She had me in tears at least 3 times during the process.

It starts out bad when the seller tries to dictate the asking price Whenever a new home comes on the market there is a flurry of activity in the first two weeks, then it slows down a lot. So if you're priced too high during those two weeks, you can never get those people back again. My crappy seller decided she had to list her home at $400,000 even though I told her it would sell in the mid $300s.

(Normally I wouldn't take a listing of someone who wanted to overprice her home, but it was a referral from a colleague in another town far away who couldn't do it herself. Because what happens is it goes on the market overpriced, you don't get any offers, finally you lower the price a little bit, but it's too late, your listing expires and the homeowner hates you. Then they call another realtor, list the home for what you told them to list it for and it sells right away. )

This home was so incredibly filthy and dirty and smelly, words cannot describe it. And she did nothing to fix it up, even though I asked, begged, pleaded with her to do so. Because according to her, the home was in "turn key condition". So when the offers came in ($300,000, $320,000) she was insulted of course. Finally I got her to accept an offer for $340,000 but the whole time she bitched about how she was "coming down $60,000" even though the $400,000 was an imaginary number that she had pulled out of her ass.

DarylHB - feel free to email me if you have any questions I can help you with! I remember starting out....

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 7:48 AM

Obviously, we in the Baja Canada don't have the intelligence/survival skills to sweat in Celsius and Fahrenheit simultaneously.  --philmphile

Hysterical. If only because we in the States are generally one-language/one-measuring system and we stubbornly refuse to learn more.

I've only seen the episode with the greedy bachelor. Was that the only one shown here? I didn't like him at all. "I will not accept a lower offer on the house I'm selling and refuse to pay full price for any house I buy!" I guess that's why he's a good businessman, but it makes him appear like a jerk. I love to watch house hunting shows and this was the first time I recall actually wanting the deal to fall through.

Still, I enjoyed it and will continue watching for now.

DarylHB

DarylHB

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2005 @ 8:41 PM

Ashleigh's Mom, I did take you up on your offer and emailed you. Hope you received it and thank you in advance for your help!