The 4400. More Or Less. We're Bad At Math.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6957 replies to this topic

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

• Interests:One Season Wonders: (Andy Barker, Blade, Lucky, Brimstone, Platinum, Over There, Kingpin, Joan Of Arcadia, The Lone Gunmen, Profit, The Inside, The Lost Room) <br />Most Sci-Fi shows ('cept for Stargate and Firefly) <br />Few Reality Shows: ANTM, WWTBAS<br />Kids: Ned's Declassified, Teen Titans, Justice League<br />Other: No Reservations, Everest

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

From USA's press stuff:

"The 4,400," the six-hour limited series will kick off with its two-hour pilot on Sunday, July 11 at 9:00/8:00c. It's not clear in what time period the remaining four installments will air

4,400 centers on the return of 4,400 people who, previously presumed dead or reported missing, reappear on Earth. Though they have not aged physically, some of them seem to have deeper alterations ranging from superhuman strength to an unexplained healing touch. A government agency is formed to track the 4,400 people after one of them commits a murder. 4,400 is created by Scott Peters ("The Outer Limits"), written by Peters and Rene Echevarria ("Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," "Dark Angel") and executive produced by Francis Ford Coppola and American Zoetrope, and Ira Behr. The science fiction drama will be produced by Viacom Prods. and Renegade 83 with Viacom producing the limited series.

Peter Coyote ("A Walk to Remember"), Joel Gretsch ("Taken"), Jacqueline McKenzie ("Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"), Michael Moriarty ("Law & Order"), Mahershalalhashbaz Ali ("Threat Matrix"), Laura Allen ("All My Children"), Kaj-Erik Eriksen ("Boston Public") and Chad Faust ("Smallville") all star in the project, which joins fellow original offerings "Monk" (Fridays at 10:00/9:00c beginning June 18) and "The Dead Zone" (Sundays at 10:00/9:00c beginning June 6) this summer on the network.

If Rene Echevarria and Ira Behr are writing this stuff, I am so there. Plus I kinda like Peter Coyote and Michael Moriarty. Also, I think that is good this is another series produced by Francis Ford Coppola, the last one he did (UPN's 'Platinum') had extremely good production values. So I don't think this series will be done on the cheap.

Here is hoping to see something really good from the former DS9 writer crew. ('cause 'Galactica' just didn't give me any warm fuzzies, and 'Carnivale' was great, but too damned slow)

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

This is being shot in Vancouver right now, I would guess with quite a bit of the same crew invloved in Taken, so I think it will look amazing. USA also shot Traffic, which had great production values, there as well.

If you go over to Futon Critic and click on Showatch, and then find the title, you can read his coverage on it back to when it was announced and cast...

Edited by NickChick, May 7, 2004 @ 11:46 AM.

ubi

ubi

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 6:35 PM

Phew! I thought this was going to be a series based on the 18th century Jesuits (or whomever thought that there was only enough room in heaven for 4400 people).

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

• Interests:One Season Wonders: (Andy Barker, Blade, Lucky, Brimstone, Platinum, Over There, Kingpin, Joan Of Arcadia, The Lone Gunmen, Profit, The Inside, The Lost Room) <br />Most Sci-Fi shows ('cept for Stargate and Firefly) <br />Few Reality Shows: ANTM, WWTBAS<br />Kids: Ned's Declassified, Teen Titans, Justice League<br />Other: No Reservations, Everest

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 11:06 AM

only enough room in heaven for 4400 people

I'm pretty sure this is not a coincidence, there will be some relationship or reference between the 4,400 returned abductees and the 4,400 who 'go to heaven' (Just as long as we don't have to go all obscure a-la 'Carnivale' b/c that show will drive you crazy with so many references)

Hmmm, so a 'government agency' has to keep track of these guys... it sounds like 'Men In Black' merged with 'Brimstone' and 'X-Files' to come up with this result.

Edited by ciscokidinsf, May 10, 2004 @ 11:06 AM.

Ebongreen

Ebongreen

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 11:21 AM

It sounds a heck of a lot like J. Michael Straczynski's Rising Stars to me. A fine little piece of fiction it is, too.

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

• Interests:I like movies, music, books, comics...damn, I'm really boring. Until you get to know me, after which I'm slightly less boring.

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 12:17 PM

Hm, this sounds really interesting.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 3:08 PM

I'd watch it.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 4:41 PM

I'm SOO excited to see that others have heard of this (no really, I am)...

I heard about this a while ago, bc I have a very nosy friend that lives in Vancouver and found out about the show way before the started shooting it there.

The official site's pretty cool (www.the4400.com)... though it doesn't do much along the way of giving us good details. Ho, hum. I guess we have plenty of time.

I had no idea that Copolla had anything to do w/ this... that's a major plus for me.

ChillinTheMost

ChillinTheMost

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

I've never heard of this, but it sounds pretty interesting. Could somebody call me up in July to remind me when it is on? I'll never remember...

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted May 17, 2004 @ 8:48 PM

Ha ha, yeah July seems so far away... I'm sure you'll probably see commercials or something to remind you.

Did anyone else notice that one the website they have a sweepstakes for an iPod w/ 4400 songs (or is it 44,000??)...seems cool either way.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 4:32 PM

Sorry for the double post.

The new commercial's up on the official site... check it out.

MandolinViola

MandolinViola

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

I just heard about this show today because of the sweepstakes, and it looks like it could be good. For people who hate pop-up windows, here's a direct link to the actual site content: http://www.usanetwor...e4400/flash.htm

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Jun 3, 2004 @ 12:29 AM

Thanks for posting that...

I guess you and I are the only ones :( *sniff*

I'm really hoping that this one picks up steam because its rare when a show w/ some originality comes along (especially one that appears interesting to me), i hope it doesn't get canceled... then again, i think its like a mini series, isn't it.

I entered the contest too!! I've wanted an iPod for a while now, but haven't been able to afford one. It would ROCK if i actually got it.

MandolinViola

MandolinViola

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2004 @ 12:29 PM

I'm really hoping that this one picks up steam

Well, you can be sure that the entire readership of As the Apple Turns knows about it. That's where I heard about it, since I don't watch USA normally, and a lot of AtAT's readers are Buffy fans.

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2004 @ 2:56 PM

This sounds like it has the potential to be kind of cool. It's the only new show (including any of the fall ones) that I have any interest in so far.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Jun 4, 2004 @ 1:52 PM

DebB Yeah - i'm pretty happy this is a summer show. There usually not a whole lot along the lines of good programming in the summer and i'm really hoping this is good.

MandolinViola As the apple turns seems pretty cool. Did you enter the contest?? I've wanted an iPod forever, so it would be really awesome if i won!!

samwal

samwal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 11:42 AM

I want an iPod... What do I have to do? LOL!

maffick

maffick

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 9:50 PM

All you have to do is go to the web site - www.4400.com - and then go to 'Sweepstakes' and you can enter. I just entered myself...a new ipod would be so sweet.

So have you watched the show? Did you see it last night? I was glued to my tv.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

So have you watched the show? Did you see it last night? I was glued to my tv.

I saw a commercial for this during The Dead Zone last night. I thought it was premiering in a few weeks. It was on last night?

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2004 @ 9:08 AM

According to the website, it premieres July 11th.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Jun 15, 2004 @ 4:52 PM

I dunno if this is old news or not, but I found a synopsis of the pilot on TV tome:

http://www.tvtome.co...t/showid-23350/

It's a little vague, but its more than we've gotten the past few weeks.

The note at the bottom of the ep. guide for the pilot is interesting.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2004 @ 5:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds really interesting. I'll check it out when it premieres in a month.

chuckwagon

chuckwagon

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 1:34 AM

I have been looking forward to this mini series since I first heard about it a year ago.

With the three main creative forces behind DS9 getting back together its hard to think that this series wont be good.

One thing you can most likely expect is well developed characters who make a gradual story arc that may shock but should make sense in the end.

That is if DS9 is a good litmus test for these guys.

samwal

samwal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

Is it a mini-series? How many parts? I thought it was longer, like an entire series...

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

According to this, it's a limited six-hour series, but I don't know how many weeks they intend to air it, i.e. I don't think they intend to run it all in one week as a traditional miniseries.

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:48 AM

For those fans of 'Poltergeist: The Legacy' Helen Shaver (Dr. Corrigan) will be in the series. I didn't know she had been directing for a while. But now she will be back in front of the show.

maffick

maffick

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 10:59 AM

I'm pretty sure I heard that it's going to be on for 6 weeks - one every Sunday. I'm psyched to watch it...it's cool that Rene Echevarria of Dark Angel and Star Trek is one of the producers. reason enough for me to check it out!

samwal

samwal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

I hope it runs as a regular season, rather than miniseries format. I can never catch it all in one week. I want to see this one too, so I would prefer the regular on a week format... Just thinking out loud...

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Jun 17, 2004 @ 2:51 PM

Provided that the series is good and people actually watch the show, i don't see why they wouldn't turn it into a regular series.

I never watched the "poltergeist" thing -- but i'm going to browse through the production stills to see if i recognize anyone -- thus far, the cast is relatively unknown in my eyes.

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

I saw the commercial during Monk, and gotta say that I'm pretty intruiged...

EW ran a brief piece about it in their summer TV preview; nothing terribly descriptive, other than Peter Coyote will play the Federal Agent in charge of investigating the 4400 and Michael Moriarty will be on of the taken, who returns with the ability to make things shake and tremble when he becomes emotional.

Possibly because of all you posters mentioning Carnivale, I wonder if this series will end with a definitive conclusion about what happened.

Incidentally, I thought it was the Jehovah's Witnesses who believe the 4400, but I can't find anything on the web to corroborate that info...