Joey: How You Doin'?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1581 replies to this topic

SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 11:55 AM

Recently read Bill Carter's "Desperate Networks" there seemed to be a hint of foreshadowing on Carter's part where he adds a little nugget about the cast of Friends' first showdown with the network about their contracts.

The network was willing to drop Matt LeBlanc if it meant keeping the show. I wonder if that regeim would have been willing to take a chance on the Joey spinoff considering that little nugget, that they figured the "Joey" character was the most expendable.

Sure they did greenlight the Frasier deal, but the character of "Frasier Crane" on Cheers was much more developed, and more interesting than "Joey Tribbiani" ever was on Friends. Plus the show's shifting paradigms probably made it more reasonable that it wasn't going to be a stale rehash of Cheers they way Joey seemed to be a rehash of Friends.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 5:52 PM

I don't know.

Joey was the only character to avoid a "backlash" during Friends' run. There were times people were sick of the other five, but I think Joey's popularity grew as the show went along. MLB reached a peak during seasons 8 and 9, even getting Emmy nominations. I can see why NBC thought the character of Joey could thrive on his own show. But alas, nope.

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 8:56 PM

"Joey" could have worked, and was actually on good footing in the first season, but they made Alex pathetic, added the very unfunny Zack, and started turning Michael into a talking prop. So basically, the show went to shit during the second season. If they had continued on the route they were going with the first season, it would have been good.

sparklebunny27

sparklebunny27

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2006 @ 1:59 PM

Hey Everything, I totally agree. I thought Season 1 was "getting there," and Season 2 just went right past it in a handbasket.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2006 @ 1:08 AM

I haven't read Desperate Networks, but I read The Showrunners a while back, and it really gave an insight into how desperate NBC was to spin off something, anything from Friends without really having a good concept. Matt Leblanc actually came across as quite reticient to do it, and was basically promised the moon so he would be on board. It is quite interesting in retrospect seeing how the show was ultimately treated.

myriad

myriad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2007 @ 6:37 PM

Well, it looks like the spoilers for the last few episodes have been removed. They were never shown in the US, and the second season never came out on DVD. I think it's really shitty that the remaining episodes were shown in other parts of the world and not in the US. Fortunately, the good people of Norway have put the unaired episodes on the internet and they're available in English if you know where to look. For those that may care, it was pretty obvious in the last few episodes of season 2 that the writers knew it was going to be over, and things were tied up nicely.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2007 @ 7:13 PM

From the few eps I've seen, I liked it. It was very much in the same tone as the last few seasons of Friends.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 11:53 AM

I was browsing through my Winamp media library and came across In2TV from AOL.com. And every episode of Joey, minus the series finale it seems (I might be wrong, though), is available. Completely legal and pretty good quality.

Here's the link:

Joey

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

• Interests:The Braves, other sports, TV, nicknames, Mountain Dew, and puppies.

Posted Jul 25, 2007 @ 1:36 PM

Sweet! Thanks, Drew!

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:27 AM

Boy, didn't Matt LeBlanc fall off the face of the earth. What's he doing now?

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 12:05 PM

Boy, didn't Matt LeBlanc fall off the face of the earth. What's he doing now?

I was going to say making a mess of his marriage, but checking IMDB shows me his marriage ended in 2006, so he doesn't even have personal issues to blame on his lack of work. I do know his daughter was ill, but if she was as sick as the tabloids claimed, I don't know.

But there doesn't seem to be any work announced for him. Not too surprising really. He seems to play the same sort of character in whatever he does, and that probably gets old pretty fast.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

I think that is why he tried to strike while the iron was hot and did "Joey" right on the heels of Friends. I don't see the guy playing many characters other than sort of lovable doofus role and everytime he does that from now on he'll still be seen as Joey. He doesn't have the acting chops to pull off much more than that.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 3:44 PM

Maybe he's racing cars. Wasn't that a hobby of his? I seem to remember some pictures...

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 7:07 PM

Ever seen his attempt at a no nonsense action hero in Lost in Space? Thank god he hasn't done more of those; it's impossible to take him seriously. Of course, he was far from the movie's only problem.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

Man I wish they didn't cancel this show I really liked it, was laughing every episode. But I guess it wasn't too popular. That's too bad.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

I liked it too. It wasn't "Friends", but it was good for what it was.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 2:46 PM

Exactly

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2009 @ 5:04 PM

Man I wish they didn't cancel this show I really liked it, was laughing every episode. But I guess it wasn't too popular.

I liked it for the most part. Didn't think it was even close to the cringe-worthy scorn it got and still gets. I think the Joey character was such a good one, too. I was thinking about it the other day when watching Friends. The episode where Chandler and Monica are having a hard time keeping their relationship secret from everyone else, while Joey knows. And as they get careless in hiding, they start to blame Joey for being a weirdo whenever the rest of them find some weird thing, like setting up the video camera to tape themselves, hm hmm. And Joey finds the picture Monica took for Chandler... then Rachel finds it, thinks Joey is some pervert weirdo, and Chandler and Monica try to make him look that way... But then there's that great rest of the scene where Joey completely turns the situation around to make it look like Monica is the weirdo, pining for him instead. Matt's comic acting and timing in that scene is so spot-on, so pitch perfect as Joey. That's why that character is so great.

And he ends the scene by going back to his KFC bucket, while offering everyone else the chicken in it since he was only eating the skins.

vexer6

vexer6

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 6:01 PM

I loved this show too and was really pissed when it got cancelled, NBC could've at least had the decency to let the remaining episodes of season 2 air before pulling the plug. Really the ratings only declined because NBC was stupid enough to put Joey up against American Idol, something which very few shows can survive. Has anyone on here besides me actually seen the unaired episodes of season 2?(season 2 is avaliible on DVD in Canada, but the discs will play on any US DVD player, its a tad pricey though since its now out of print, I bought season 2 on DVD-R from Ioffer.com, ou can find alot of great stuff on there) At least the show ended on a good note, with Joey finally in a real relationship and a successful actor.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 7:10 PM

I think Joey's biggest problem was unrealistic expectations. They wanted Friends ratings and NBC may never get that again with a sitcom (I love most of the NBC sitcom line-up but they obviously have a new definition of success now vs. then).

Anyway, Matt LeBlanc has never been better than he is on Episodes.

Edited by Betsyb, Jun 26, 2011 @ 7:59 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 7:34 PM

I think Joey's biggest problem was unrealistic expectations.

Bingo. It was probably set up for failure having the same timeslot and everything. That was something they avoided with Frasier, which started out on Tuesdays.

vexer6

vexer6

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

I'll be honest, I never really cared much for Frasier(probably cause I never watched Cheers, it was way before my time) I was surprised that it lasted for so long(same goes for Everybody Loves Raymond and King Of Queens, both of which I hated from the very beginning) Yeah, the execs probably shouldn't have put Joey in the Friends timeslot but oh well, NBC is getting progressively dumber ever year, Joey was the last worthwhile show on that channel(I couldn't get into Scrubs or the Office, just not my type of humor I guess) Now it's all garbage, Cougar Town, How I Met Your Mother and FOXs animation domination lineup(except for Bobs Burgers, WORST SHOW EVER!) are the only things I bother watching on TV anymore.