Stargate: Atlantis

• Please log in to reply

11337 replies to this topic

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Well, SG-1's prepping for it's eighth season, MGM and Sci-Fi's building on the show's success with a new series, and we need a topic to discuss it. So here's a brief FAQ to start us off.

When's it start?

This spin-off of Stargate SG-1 premieres with a two-hour episode at 9PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel on July 16th, one week after SG-1's Season 8 premiere.

What's the story?

Sci-Fi says:
A whole new adventure with a new team begins in the successful Stargate universe. In this spin-off from MGM Worldwide Television, a secret base left by the originators of the Stargate is found in the most unlikely of places: on Earth, buried within the ruins of the legendary civilization Atlantis. The implications of this discovery lead the team to a distant galaxy, where they find a primitive human civilization threatened by a sinister new enemy.

Who's the new team?

Torri Higginson (replacing Jessica Steen) as Dr. Elizabeth Weir

Attractive, brilliant, but not one to seek the spotlight, Dr. Weir has worked behind the scenes in the U.S. government for several years. Though she's not the one who signs treaties, she has brokered a dozen of the most sensitive international accords in modern history. She has two Ph.D.s, teaches political science at Georgetown University, has served in embassies all over the world and speaks five languages. Though she began her career as a political activist lobbying against government spending on the military, she later decided the best way to stop weapons proliferation was to end the need for them. Placed in charge of Stargate Command by President Henry Hayes, she has now been asked to command the Stargate Atlantis team.

Joe Flanigan as Major John Sheppard

Cobra, Apache, Sea King, Black Hawk, Osprey, Sea Harrier ? you name it, he's flown it. The son of a respected Cold War colonel, Shepherd, while on duty in Afghanistan, disobeyed a direct order in an attempt to save the lives of three servicemen. His reputation tarnished, he yet remains a man of honor who puts the military first, while still mistrusting authority. When tapped to serve on the Stargate Atlantis team, he is at the end of his second tour at McMurdo, the U.S. Antarctic base, having requested a post as far from the world as possible. He gets to go an entire galaxy away when it's discovered that he is one of the very few humans possessing the gene allowing mental interaction with the mysterious technology of the Ancients, creators of the Stargates.

Rainbow Sun Francks as Lieutenant Aiden Ford

The boyishly good-looking young officer serves as Stargate Atlantis team's military second-in-command.

David Hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay

As acerbic as he is brilliant, astrophysicist Dr. McKay is a scientist with long Stargate experience: Temporarily assigned to Stargate Command, he matched scientific wits with Major Samantha Carter when her fellow SG-1 team-member Teal'c was cut off from the Stargate while on another world (in SG1's "48 Hours") and as a Pentagon scientist parried with her again when the Stargate was approaching an extinction-level explosion (in SG1's two-part "Redemption"). He now serves as chief scientific advisor on the Stargate Atlantis team.

Rachel Luttrell as Teyla Emmagan

The leader of a now primitive but once technologically advanced community on the planet Athos in the Pegasus galaxy, Teyla Emmagan befriends the Stargate Atlantis team and serves as their alien liaison.

Any other info?

Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, and Robert Patrick are guest-starring in the SG:A premiere.

Check out Gateworld, the Sci-Fi Channel's Atlantis site, and MGM's Atlantis site for additional info.

Edited by Aatrek, May 5, 2004 @ 1:00 PM.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 4:41 PM

So, when they go and discover this new galaxy, do they get stuck there, or do they come and go like the regular Stargate team does?

I take it Jack O'Neill also possesses the special gene?

It sounds intriguing, though it will probably be a while before it airs here (UK).

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 4:54 PM

From what I know, they generally won't be based out of the SGC, but I'm not one hundred percent certain.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 9:22 PM

I heard that they'll be based entirely off Earth. The other Stargate is in an alternate dimension? Something like that. I'm looking forward to it.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 5:19 AM

The impression I got from what's already been mentioned in publicity is that they end up stuck in a whole new galaxy and can't get home. That would tie in with the idea that the Stargate isn't normally set up for inter-galactic travel.

Lexx

Lexx

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 8:58 AM

I saw a preview for Atlantis while I was watching Mad, Mad House, and it gave the impression that the team going to Atlantis may not be coming back to Earth for a while.

I've been anticipating SG:A for a while now, and I've been keeping up to date on all the latest news. But so far, there has already been one major disappointment. I was hoping that the new alien menace would be a type of CGI alien, like the Re'Tou (sp.?) were in that one SG-1 episode who's name escapes me. But then in the commercial they have this very human looking blue-skinned alien doing some kind of hiss/scream. I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I saw it, but then I got kind of bummed when I realized my hopes of a truly alien looking alien weren't going to be fullfilled.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 10:52 AM

The impression I got from what's already been mentioned in publicity is that they end up stuck in a whole new galaxy and can't get home.

Oh, geez...this is gonna be Stargate: Voyager?

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 6:08 PM

Oh dear, that's what I feared. One of the things I most like about Stargate is how they come home in between missions and it's more like a job.

AndiSizzle

AndiSizzle

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 12:58 AM

Oh, geez...this is gonna be Stargate: Voyager?

I'm kind of wondering if this has something to do with (may be spoiler?) the 8th symbol on the Gate that Jack used when he got the Ancient's language dowloaded into his brain. Maybe they'll have trouble finding the right address? I'm going to hold off any negative speculation until the show airs, but if it is Stargate: Voyager, hopefully they can pull it off.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2004 @ 1:27 PM

I don't think its supposed to be "Stargate Voyager". My impression is that the Atlantis team is just another off-world research team (a la the Alpha and Beta sites), albeit a lot further away.

Plus, it requires additional power sources to travel across galaxies via the 'gate, so its probably more cost-effective to just send a large team there on a long-term basis, than to have them come and go.

Edited by jcin617, May 11, 2004 @ 1:28 PM.

cambridgeguy

cambridgeguy

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 9:16 AM

So I've seen the sci-fi channel promo where they are all assembled in what looks like SG-1's gateroom. Is that RDA and MS in the command room? I didn't bother taping it, but it sure looks like it could be them.

Lexx

Lexx

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 11:14 AM

Is that RDA and MS in the command room? I didn't bother taping it, but it sure looks like it could be them.

I caught that too. I'm pretty sure it was them.

Plus, it requires additional power sources to travel across galaxies via the 'gate, so its probably more cost-effective to just send a large team there on a long-term basis, than to have them come and go.

That's what I was thinking also. There's also the little problem that the energy device Jack made in The Fifth Race only worked once. So if they're using one of those, it may not be possible for another team to go to Atlantis after the initial team. Unless they've got a big locker filled with the things.

Edited by Lexx, May 12, 2004 @ 11:14 AM.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 1:32 PM

RDA and MS are in the first episode (which is two hours, I think).

And I don't think Sam or Siler was ever able to back engineer the little Fifth Race gizmo, so I don't think they have a locker full. I must admit, I like the idea of having to go get one out of the supply closet. *g*

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

Unless they've got a big locker filled with the things.

Hee. They're called "Z.P.M."s I believe. In "Point of View" the Carters (Major and Ms. O'Neill) were able to rebuild the one Jack made in "The Fifth Race".

I don't think Sam or Siler was ever able to back engineer the little Fifth Race gizmo

Hmm, you might be right, but a naquadria generator might be able to provide the power they need, but given its instability, they might not want to do that repeatedly for trans-galactic travel.

Edited by jcin617, May 13, 2004 @ 12:53 PM.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 9:37 AM

Very interested in this - funnily enough, so is my dad, so hopefully we'll both have something to watch now that Enterprise has been made more boring than getting a root canal.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

Really? I think ENT has gotten a lot better this season.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this is good. I loved SG-1 almost from the start, but I think it lost its way a bit. Maybe this new series will have some of that same original creative energy.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 10:23 PM

I was watching SCIFI last night with a big snake vs. big snake movie and saw David Hewlett in it. Of course they plugged his new series and from the previews it didn't seem that great. The blue alien looks interesting but that's about it. The earlier preview where it shows going underwater and finding a stargate was better at catching attention.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2004 @ 12:04 PM

I saw that preview, too and I was wondering, WTF? Sadly enough, there is nothing about this show that compells me to watch it so far...not even the Janeway-like commander. I'll watch the first episode. Let's hope the show can keep my attention...

raeblackman

raeblackman

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 5:18 PM

Stargate: Voyager? Oh dear, I watched voyager until I could stand it no more - partway through the first season. I hope I don't have to give up on this as well, it sounds...erm...boring. I think they should have a bit more than just two hours of crossover to get you used to this stargate team. Especially since they changed one of the actresses. How long do things take to get cancelled on sci-fi then?

Saturn Girl

Saturn Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 11:51 PM

I wonder why Jessica Steen was replaced? You'd think the show would benefit from having a lead cast member that already has a modest sci fi following (thanks to Earth 2 and Armaggedon) more than gambling on a cast of unknowns.

raeblackman

raeblackman

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 3:44 PM

I don't think anyone knows, even her (allegedly). There's some talk on Gateworld that she was too young looking. I personally liked her, even though I've never seen her in anything else. I get the feeling that other woman is going to irritate me, no idea why just a feeling I get. They really should have had a name to hold this show because it is always going to be compared to Stargate: SG1 and spinoffs/sequals always have problems.

meganomics

meganomics

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 3:31 PM

All I have to say is . . . "SeaQuest2032."

As to the "Star Trek" vibes . . . I was talking to a cashier at Wal-Mart and he pointed out that the uniforms for Atlantis looks a little too much like US Air Force meets "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Which is, in itself, scary and wrong.

I'm going to watch the premiere for RDA and Michael Shanks. 'Cause other than the snippets of Daniel and Jack, so far the previews haven't really been doing anything for me.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:12 PM

Hey STV got better AFTER it's first season so I'm not rushing to judgement. This may be unfair of me however, since I didn't give Enterprise much of a chance and got bored with it right from the start. I think I'm just desperate for any genre show to get on as I am still suffering from Xena/Buffy/Angel withdrawal and fear I may never find anything to fill the void.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:12 PM.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 6:11 PM

I'm sure Jessica Steen would thank you for the young comment -- she's 40 next year. I first saw her way back on Homefront over a decade ago and have followed her since then. I'd have liked to see her part of the franchise.

Her official site (http://www.jessicasteen.com) used to take Qs (not sure why that page is still up), but her news page doesn't mention SG:A at all, just the SG-1 episodes. Seems she had a recurring role on JAG this season, too, so maybe that stretched to next season or she just didn't want to be committed to a project that might go five years while she's still being offered fairly regular work elsewhere...

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 7:28 PM

Stargate: Voyager?

Well, if they're stuck in a place where they can't get home the only thing to do for the survival of their community is to start f***ing. And none of that Sam & Diane flirty business. Just start f***ing. That would hold my attention.

harmony60

harmony60

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2004 @ 8:57 PM

From TVGuide, on line edition, the idiot's riff on the premiere:

The ubiquitous Stargate SG-1 franchise is about to learn if it has Star Trek's ability to launch spin-offs. The two-hour premiere of Sci Fi's Stargate Atlantis (July 16, 9 pm/ET) gets off to a promising, rousing start, introducing a likably sardonic new hero in Maj. John Sheppard (Joe Flanigan). His ability to channel the technology of the Ancients makes him a natural to join a team on a one-way mission to the Ancients' legendary lost city. There they encounter the ravenous Wraith, who see Atlantis as a "feeding ground." I bet the pairing of Atlantis with the original Stargate will satisfy fans' appetites.

Isn't it supposed to start on July 9th??

Tonight on SciFi:

From Stargate to Atlantis: A Sci Fi Lowdown
10:00 PM ET -SCI FI-
As "Stargate SG-1" prepares for its eight season, this "Lowdown" special from Sci Fi looks at the next phase of the show's evolution -- its spinoff, "Stargate Atlantis." Not only will you lucky peeps get to see some interviews with "SG-1" stars like Richard Dean Anderson, but you'll also get a sneak peek at "Atlantis" (which premieres July 9).

Edited by harmony60, Jul 5, 2004 @ 8:58 PM.

Aatrek

Aatrek

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2004 @ 9:31 PM

Nope. SG-1 is this Friday (July 9), and Atlantis starts next week (July 16).

3rdgradegenius

3rdgradegenius

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 5, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

This may be really shallow, but I think the new look of the Stargate in Atlantis is really awesome.

NickChick

NickChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2004 @ 10:25 PM

I was very impressed with the look of the set and the effects shots, too. I like that they're doing something really different with the CG so that it really does look like a different show. The Lowdown was a hoot.

pegleggedgoat

pegleggedgoat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2004 @ 11:33 PM

Am I the only one who noticed that the wraith look like Marilyn Manson? They were even playing Marilyn Manson-type music when they were showing the images of them.