Forever Knight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

139 replies to this topic

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2008 @ 11:20 PM

Nick Knight of FK is named one of EW.com's 17 Greatest Immortals! Glad some still remember him. :-)

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Oct 19, 2008 @ 2:33 PM

For anyone who's interested, all three seasons of Forever Knight are available under "Watch Instantly" at Netflix.

praeceptrix

praeceptrix

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2008 @ 10:28 PM

I've been watching season 2 on Hulu.com & am enjoying it quite a bit. Geraint Wyn-Davies is lovely. I also really like Janette & LaCroix. Very interesting dynamic among those three. I wish they had season 1 on hulu, but I guess I must netflix it. I'd love to know how/why LaCroix has that radio show, how/why all three ended up in Toronto... and of course, I want all the centuries' background on them. Does anyone know if the series is based on a book?

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 2:26 PM

As far as I know, Forever Knight is an original property. Haven't seen an episode in years, but I like this show. I do get a kick out of the fact that Nigel "LaCroix" Bennett is a recurring player on The Border... where Catherine "Natalie" Disher is a regular.

abby82

abby82

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 29, 2008 @ 9:36 PM

I've been watching season 2 on Hulu.com & am enjoying it quite a bit. Geraint Wyn-Davies is lovely. I also really like Janette & LaCroix. Very interesting dynamic among those three. I wish they had season 1 on hulu, but I guess I must netflix it. I'd love to know how/why LaCroix has that radio show, how/why all three ended up in Toronto... and of course, I want all the centuries' background on them.

Joost.com has 9 episodes from season 1 , including the first part of the premiere episode, but they aren't sequential. A few season 3 episodes are also available. I personally adore season 1.

If you like the Nick/Janette/LaCroix dynamic I highly recommend this vid called "Not an Addict" over at YouTube. I was so happy when I stumbled upon it. It's got everything I could want in an FK vid. Although I should warn you that even though it's mostly season 2 stuff there are a few spoilery bits from season 3 including some backstory on LaCroix and his biological daughter and vampire master Divia.

The show never got into why LaCroix chose to do the radio show but a season 1 episode with flashbacks to Nick and Natalie's first meeting gives a little backstory about Nick arriving in Toronto, as does the series opener. A line in the season 3 opener mentions how long Janette had been in Toronto

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Mar 3, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

Season 1 is up at Hulu now.

abby82

abby82

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

A Forever Knight/Doctor Who crossover webcomic has just started.

It's called "Forever Janette" and can be found here.

It takes place just prior to season 3 so Schanke is present and accounted for as is obviously Janette. Of the season 3 casts Urs has made an appearance.

No LaCroix...yet but Nick, Natalie and the Caddy have.

It's been a fun read and the character likeness is really good.

CuttySark

CuttySark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2009 @ 7:03 AM

(Just a side note: that's the link to the rss feed, but the comic website itself is here (the author is alternating pages with a Roman-era comic) and Forever Janette itself is here.)

Thanks for the link!

DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

I am sooo glad this show has been revived in reruns on Chiller. In college, I used to watch late night repeats of it when it was on (I think) WGN and adored it, because Nick was both toertured, and yet, a bit cheeky, too. And Schanke! I've been filling up my DVR taping the marathons.

poseurlady

poseurlady

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2009 @ 11:18 PM

I am sooo glad this show has been revived in reruns on Chiller.

I stayed up late watching FK on ChillerTV on Wednesday night, it was so good to watch this show again. GWD was so young and sexy. Yum. ChillerTV also is showing my other favorite vamp show, the late, lamented Moonlight with Alex O. sigh

During voice-overs by GWD during the FK marathon, he mentioned that in Season 1, they made 3 different versions, one for America, one Canada and another for European viewers. The ones made for Europe contained lots of nudity. I looked and looked but could not find any sites that sold the European versions, I would love to know if GWD appeared in any of the nude scenes!

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

FK DVDs popped up on the video shelves at Wal-Mart for $15 a season. Only Season 2 has commentary and I think season 3 has a video extra.

For the uninitiated, Forever Knight first showed up as a movie called Nick Knight starring Rick Springfield. I saw it once on Lifetime and it follows most of the story line of the pilot episode (except the coroner was a guy).

CBS produced it with a series of other low-cost Canadian crime dramas to air at 11:30pm as "Crime Time after Prime Time." FK premiered on May 12, 1992 but was not renewed after Dave Letterman was given an 11:30pm show in the fall of 1993. It came back in the fall of 1995 and ran for two additional seasons in syndication, with the final season co-aired on USA and Scifi.

DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

GWD was so young and sexy

Indeed he was. He doesn't look too bad now; I think the last time I saw him was on 24 a couple of years ago.

I used to soooo want Nick and Natalie together, but now upon rewatching, I don't think Nick was ever in to her as she was in to him. (Of course, Chiller keeps reshowing the same 15 or so episodes; I couild be missing the nuances in their relationship.) And someone help me recall--in the finale; didn't Natalie kill herself? I just recall that episode being very over-the-top and WTF!?, yet very sad at the same time.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2009 @ 10:49 PM

And someone help me recall--in the finale; didn't Natalie kill herself? I just recall that episode being very over-the-top and WTF!?, yet very sad at the same time.

That episode was pretty over the top. If Lacroix actually killed Nick, 3 major characters died in one epsisode. However, Nick tried to turn Natalie and he drank too much of her blood. Natalie was talking about suicide before that, though.

DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2009 @ 5:23 PM

That's it. I recall she was down in the dumps about something. I really loved that character the 1st season or so, but she became so mopey and...shrewish the last season. Though, in fairness, I think the show was mired in a giant clusterdfuck of issues by that season, so it makes sense characterizations would take a plunge.

I wish Chiller would put the show on late night at a set hour, instead of these random-order eight hour marathons. I think the nextone is mid-December.

poseurlady

poseurlady

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

If I remember correctly, the very last episode had Natalie wanting to be turned by Nick, and he agreed to do it, very reluctantly I might add. They were having dinner and he told her he would turn her, when he started to do it, he instead went all the way and killed her and then told La Croix to kill him because he did not want to live without Natalie. If I recall, he could not stomach the though of her becoming a vampire and dealing with all the hell that goes with it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I will try and find the last show on line and see if I remember correctly.

And I'm pretty sure we don't need any spoiler tags since this is an old show.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2009 @ 11:23 PM

I think that Natalie had been pressuring Nick for some time to turn her into a vampire, and it had been a source of a lot of tension between them, since he continued to despise what he was and she was enticed by it. And then there was the other vamp/human relationship that season, of Tracy (Nick's cop partner) and Vachon, that I liked quite a lot. If I remember right, Tracy gets shot to death very shortly (don't recall if it's in the final episode or one or two eps earlier) before Nick decides he will try to turn Nat. I just remember how totally floored I was, watching it for the first time, to see the main characters of this show suddenly die, leaving only Nick's creepy sire Lacroix alive to mutter some words over their bodies. WTF??!?!? Is that the end of the series? And it was.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2009 @ 10:12 AM

There were some huge fights between the production company and USA as the third season went on. USA always wanted more of a Silk Stalkings kind of cast, so production killed off Schanke and the former captain and added a couple more attractive people to the cast.

But the fighting and tension continued, USA wasn't happy with ratings and there were other money issues involved. They just barely got funding to finish the last 4-6 episodes instead of getting cancelled outright, and by that point the producers were just so sick of it all that they decided to go for a Blake's 7/Rock Falls-Everyone Dies kind of ending to the show.

Edited by selkie, Dec 4, 2009 @ 10:13 AM.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

Well, if we're spoiler free...

I watched my DVD of the finale. It started off with Natalie's psychiatrist friend slitting her wrists in the bathtub. Nick's shoddy hypno powers sort of got Tracy killed and Lacroix was telling him to move on. Natalie caught him packing up and basically wanted him to either bring her across or try what Jeanette did, something involving lovemaking and judicious blood drinking. Nick apparently couldn't control himself. He then asked Lacroix to help him join Natalie wherever she was going after death.

Season 3 of Forever Knight was aired both in syndication and on USA. First, they aired it Mondays at 10pm, getting the first crack at it. My local station got it the following Sunday. After a number of weeks, USA dumped it on the Scifi channel which eventually aired it after the syndicated episode. I think it was late on a Sunday night when I realized "Last Knight" was the title of a finale.

The death toll was pretty high. Besides getting a new partner and a third captain, they brought on 3 more vampires. Vachon was in the first episode, followed by Screed and Urs. Screed died about halfway through the season. Jeanette came back a few episodes later to be killed. Urs and Vachon were killed by Divia in the same episode. Then there was the finale. By the end, only Lacroix was left along with the captain.

poseurlady

poseurlady

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2009 @ 11:16 PM

I know that many fans were upset with how the show ended, but I never expected a "happy" ending, or even a "normal" end of the series, i.e Nick moving away, Natalie finding love, etc.

Forever Knight was always a dark, moody, sexy and sometimes depressing show. I never really expected Nick and Natalie to have a life together, it just didn't seem to be in cards. And if the show had to end, it ended with both of them dying together, maybe the only way they could really be together, with LaCroix the only one left. All alone, what a hell of a life he has ahead of him. But if anyone could survive and thrive, it would be LaCroix.

Goldmoon

Goldmoon

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

No he was never going to turn Nat. Natalie wanted to have sex and convinced Nick that he could stop in time without draining her (vampire version of sex here starts with drinking blood) but Nick got carried away and she was almost dead when LaCroix showed up. They filmed Nat's foot twitching, and there is speculation that LaCroix went ahead and turned her, and/or he didn't really kill Nick forever. We didn't see what happened to nick and Nat. I like to think she became a vamp thanks to LaCroix and they left wet blanket Nick behind.

Oops. I see that I was answering the poster on the bottom of page nine instead of the bottom of page 10.

Edited by Goldmoon, Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:13 PM.