The Waltons: Good Night John Boy!

• Please log in to reply

4944 replies to this topic

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 6:36 PM

... a car fell on Elizabeth (due to some negligence of Jim Bob's) and she was crippled. They thought she might never walk again, but she was walking by the end of the episode. 'Cuz that's how they do it on Walton's Mountain.

sevhevcracksmeup

sevhevcracksmeup

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 7:11 PM

'Cuz that's how they do it on Walton's Mountain.

...Bitch. Sorry. ;)

txm79

txm79

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 2:41 AM

... a car fell on Elizabeth (due to some negligence of Jim Bob's) and she was crippled.

Wasn't it a pile of logs? Ben and Jim Bob went off to swim instead of doing their work, and I think Elizabeth climbed the wood pile to get a bird or something and the wood pile collapsed.

There was one episode where Jim Bob was working under a car and it slipped off the jack but I don't think he was hurt. I think he decided to be a preacher due to his near-death experience but snapped out of it by the end of the episode.

There was the episode during the WWII times when a mountain kid got killed and the dad was pissed at John for being on the draft board or something, and vowed to kill one of the Walton boys. He shot through the window of the living room, and also through the window of Jim Bob's car. Jim Bob bent down at the last second or he would've been killed. I think it ends with The Waltons receiving word that John Boy was missing, so they quit with their feud.

annlynn

annlynn

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

Everyone is taking me back to the good ol' days. My mom loved this show and we would watch it all the time.

Can anyone help jog my memory? Didn't the show end with Ben as a POW in a Japanese prison camp? Wasn't he presumed dead?

Did Olivia ever return to the show? I hated the housekeeper, Rose and those kids.

Edited by annlynn, May 7, 2004 @ 10:31 AM.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 11:19 AM

Ben was a POW in a Japanese prison camp toward the end of the series. I don't think he was presumed dead, just missing. The series ended after the war. I think the final episode was when John-Boy 2.0 went back to New York, thinking he'd have an easy time picking up his career. But he couldn't find a job, he ended up broke and miserable before he went back to Walton's Mountain in time for a sentimental party at the Baldwin sisters' house.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 1:03 PM

The whipporwills told a crazy mountain woman to kidnap Mary Ellen's baby. Overall, I think the show needed more crazy mountain people. And more recipe.

ubi

ubi

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

Yum!

Olivia had polio and later tuberculosis; Esther (and RL Ellen Corby) had a stroke. Zeb had a mild heart attact and wouldn't get out of bed. Jim-Bob had appendicitis, John-Boy broke his arm, and Reckless got shot. But at least nobody went blind, got trapped in a burning building and had to smash a window with an infant, or was raped by a mime.

I was just about to say something about that...

Wasn't there an ep where they had a famous (or soon-to-be) famous visitor?

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

...Bitch. Sorry. ;)

sevhevcracksmeup, hee! That's exactly where I was headed! Glad someone picked up on it. :::tinkle, tinkle- Walton's Mountain, here we co-o-o-o-me!:::

txm79, you're completely right; I melded the two traumas-of-the-week into one.

The whipporwills told a crazy mountain woman to kidnap Mary Ellen's baby. Overall, I think the show needed more crazy mountain people. And more recipe.

Now, that's just plain funny. I loved the crazy mountain lady who was actually a Walton. She was played by Beulah Bondi, George Bailey's mom in It's a Wonderful Life, and a character actress from a million other movies. Didn't they want to build a highway through her land and she pretty much squatted and came at them with a rifle? Also,Sissy Spacek guested on a few episodes as a poor-mountain-girl with possibly-crazy-mountain parents. Anyway, John Boy I delivered her out-of-wedlock baby in an abandoned shack in the woods. Those are some of my favorite episodes and the first I ever saw.

Wasn't there an ep where they had a famous (or soon-to-be) famous visitor?

There are two I'm thinking of: 1.) A.J. Covington, a famous writer who has somewhat fallen out of favor and bonds with John Boy and 2.) the actress (can't remember her name) whose car breaks down on the Mountain and the Walton's take her in. She had lost all her money and couldn't leave. She scandalizes the Waltons (mostly Olivia and Esther) with her Hollywood stories and celebrity ways. She earns money by putting on a show for the Waltons and leaves the mountain.

And they weren't famous per se, but anyone remember the Carny episode? Awesome! They live in the Walton's yard for some time and the Waltons are kind to them so the Carnies put on a show in the barn and then the Waltons help them ride the rails so they can get to their next gig.

sevhevcracksmeup

sevhevcracksmeup

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 9:58 PM

Ooh, yeah, the carnies were pretty cool. Wasn't The Waltons written by some guy who had these real life experiences with his family, and he wrote a movie called Spencer's mountain, which The Waltons was based off of? Because I recall seeing that movie, and it was very similar to the show (the oldest son was called Clay-Boy) and my dad told me that the movie was written by the same guy and inspired the show. Is that true?

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 11:24 PM

Earl Hamner, Jr. He's had a long career as a TV writer and producer. He went from writing and producing and narrating The Waltons to writing and producing Falcon Crest, of all things. I met him ages ago when I voluteered at the first Virginia Film Festival and he was a speaker. He's from the Virginia Blue Ridge, and what I think is his old house is now a Walton's museum, in Schuyler. (I was a reporter in the area at the time and we did some stories on the opening, otherwise I wouldn't know.)

I didn't know it when I watched the show, but from living there I learned how rosy nostalgia can make people and just how piss poor the area really was in the 30's. Compared to the real life Blue Ridge life, the Waltons--and maybe the real-life Hamners--were almost wealthy. It's interesting the show never got into the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive controversy, too. Where "Walton's Mountain" is is about where the two highways meet. A lot of the farmers in the area didn't want to sell out to the federal government so Skyline Drive could be built, and Roosevelt promised them he wouldn't force them off their land. So the state forced them off, burning a lot of the cabins, donating the land to the Feds (who I think had honestly dropped the matter by this point) and creating a resentment and paranoia about government that exists to this day. The Library of Congress has a bunch of pictures taken by government photographers in the 30s. Here's a sample.

ubi

ubi

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 6:47 AM

Also,Sissy Spacek guested on a few episodes as a poor-mountain-girl with possibly-crazy-mountain parents. Anyway, John Boy I delivered her out-of-wedlock baby in an abandoned shack in the woods. Those are some of my favorite episodes and the first I ever saw.

I don't think she was pregnant; this is the one in which her crazy drunk father burns down the schoolhouse (and passes out inside after setting it) because they're teaching evolution, right?

Earl Hamner wrote for the Twilight Zone as well; you can probably guess what his eps were like...

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 8:27 AM

Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive controversy

Maybe that was the foundation for the episode where the Waltons' backwoods relatives (led by Martha Corinne and a younger Walton played by Richard Hatch) lose their cabin to a government highway project and decide to defend their land with guns. The Waltons get drawn into it and I think John-Boy got shot. In the end, IIRC, the backwoods relatives leave their land and move into government-built housing.

ubi

ubi

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 6:38 AM

Was that the one where the Waltons gave their relatives a tour of the gubberment housing and pointed out all the modern conveniences, like running water, electricity, (and I think, indoor plumbing)?

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 2:09 PM

I loved the crazy mountain lady who was actually a Walton. She was played by Beulah Bondi, George Bailey's mom in It's a Wonderful Life,

Wow, I've seen the episode and I had no idea that was her. She was unrecognizably old, but now that I think of it there was a resemblance there.

You guys know Earl Hamner was the narrator of the series, don't you?

I knew he wrote a bunch of TZ eps, but I was disappointed that imdb doesn't list which ones he wrote. I think he wrote the one where a recently deceased hillbilly guy nearly enters through the gates of Hell (thinking it is Heaven) but he changes his mind when he finds out they won't take his dog. I'm guessing Earl wrote a bunch of the rural/hillbilly eps.

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 7:47 PM

In The Odyssey, John Boy retreats to an abandoned cabin to get some alone time and ends up delivering Sarah Jane's (Sissy Spacek) baby. I thought the baby was out-of-wedlock, but actually Sarah Jane had run away from home and married a townie.

In The Fire, a crazy mountain drunk burns down the school for teaching Evolution to his daughter and dies in the fire.

All these crazy hillfolk running amok on Walton's Mountain is very confusing.

ubi

ubi

Posted May 11, 2004 @ 5:05 PM

I knew he wrote a bunch of TZ eps, but I was disappointed that imdb doesn't list which ones he wrote. I think he wrote the one where a recently deceased hillbilly guy nearly enters through the gates of Hell (thinking it is Heaven) but he changes his mind when he finds out they won't take his dog. I'm guessing Earl wrote a bunch of the rural/hillbilly eps.

Yeah, he pretty much wrote all of the ones with "country folk".

All these crazy hillfolk running amok on Walton's Mountain is very confusing.

Can you tell from my recollections? heh. The parents in the first ep (with the deaf girl and Elizabeth getting locked in a trunk) were kinda kooky too, weren't they?

brix11

brix11

Just Tuned In

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 2:33 PM

Having never seen one episode of this show for the first 24 years of my life, I'm finally catching up. Watching the re-runs on TVLand at 7 a.m. has become part of my morning routine, after returning from the gym and before getting ready for work. The show itself has its ups and downs, but I'm a sucker for anything related to this period of American history. Plus, I love the strange looks my friends give me when I mention it's one of my favorite shows.

Wasn't The Waltons written by some guy who had these real life experiences with his family, and he wrote a movie called Spencer's mountain, which The Waltons was based off of? Because I recall seeing that movie, and it was very similar to the show (the oldest son was called Clay-Boy) and my dad told me that the movie was written by the same guy and inspired the show. Is that true?

Spencer's Mountain was based on a book of the same name written by Hamner. I work for a college and shamelessly used the interlibrary loan service to obtain a copy. Although somewhat different from the show, it's easy to see how certain characters and episodes evolved from this first work. It's a good read. I recommend it if only for Clay-Boy's (i.e. John-Boy's) sex scene.

I know there was some tabloid article about how the actress who played Elizabeth was reduced to waiting tables. Turns out "reduced" wasn't exactly the word for it: She was a college student, doing what most college students do.

I've read a couple articles that say Kami Colter is now a school teacher in rural Virginia, not far from where Earl Hamner grew up. Probably living a happier life than most former child-actors.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

The actress who played Erin (Mary McDonough??) got silicone breast implants after the show ended, apparently in order to get work in Hollywood. Then she had terrible health problems for years due to leakage, etc., and was too sick to work. I can't remember which childhood stars behind-the-scenes thingy I saw that on.

sevhevcracksmeup

sevhevcracksmeup

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 4:06 PM

Yesterday or the day before in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Everyday section, there was a whole little article about The Waltons because the first season just came out on dvd. There were tiny little pieces of info on what the cast is up to now, and they were praising the first season of the show. It was pretty neat.

Edited by sevhevcracksmeup, May 13, 2004 @ 4:07 PM.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 5:44 PM

So.....What ARE they up to now?

sevhevcracksmeup

sevhevcracksmeup

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 6:18 PM

Heh, it would've made sense for me to actually include that, wouldn't it? Dumb me. This is all paraphrased:

Erin (Mary Beth McDonough-43) taught acting in Sydney for several years in the '90s and still acts and directs. She blames her battle with lupus on those damned implants.

Jason (Jon Walmsely-48) married that lady that played his girlfriend/wife on the show and became a musician. He was a guitarist for Richard Marx in the '80s.

Ester (Ellen Corby) died in 1999 at age 87, but she played the grandma all the way through the last reunion movie in '97.

Ben (Eric Scott-46) became a vice president of a large California messenger service company.

Jim Bob (David Harper-42) worked as a courier for Ben's company and did some scene painting in the Los Angeles scene.

Mary Ellen (Judy Norton-46) posed nude for Playboy in 1985. Oh, and she and her husband run a chain of dinner theaters called Celebrations and Jubilations in some Canadian cities.

John Boy (Richard Thomas-52) is the most successful of the group probably. He was in a bunch of TV movies and motion pictures (including a supporting role in "Wonder Boys") and hosted the PAX TV show "It's a miracle" for it's 5 years.

Olivia (Michael Learned-65) still acts some and has 3 adult children from her first marriage.

John (Ralph Waite-76) still acts and was recently in the HBO show Carnivale. He ran for Congress twice, but lost, the 2nd time to Sonny Bono's wife.
[I never realized he was that much older than Michael Learned. Wow.]

Elizabeth (Kami Cotter-38) teaches school near where the real Walton's Mountain was after not making it at full-time acting.

Zeb (Will Geer) of course died in 1978 at age 76.

Edited by sevhevcracksmeup, May 13, 2004 @ 10:34 PM.

Ms Chicklet

Ms Chicklet

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

sevhevcracksmeup:

Mary Ellen (Judy Norton-46) posed nude for Playboy in 1985. Oh, and her and her husband run a chain of dinner theaters called Celebrations and Jubilations in some Canadian cities.

She also did an infomercial for Dianetics in the 1990s.

Didn't one of the boys lose his wife? I think it was Eric Scott.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 11:41 PM

John (Ralph Waite-76) still acts and was recently in the HBO show Carnivale.

Really? I was certain he was dead.

I love watching the TVLand reruns, but I hate that I have to get into the shower to get ready for work about 15 minutes into the show every day. Fortunately, I still remember how they all end.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2004 @ 8:15 AM

The Waltons is mentioned briefly in Part I of TVLand Moguls: The 70s. When they were looking to turn the TV movie, The Homecoming, into a series, the network or producers (sorry, I wasn't listening closely) wooed Henry Fonda for the part of Pa Walton. They showed him the movie to spark his interest, but he replied, "What do you need me for? The boy is the star of the series." Meaning, of course, Richard Thomas as John-Boy. Turns out Ol' Hank was right.

JamieGoralski

JamieGoralski

Just Tuned In

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 9:32 PM

Didn't one of the boys lose his wife? I think it was Eric Scott.

It was Eric Scott. If I remember correctly she was disgnosed with cancer (or some other terminal illness) while pregnant, and she died shortly after the baby was born. I heard him talk about it in an interview and you can't help but cry. Well, I couldn't help it and I'm generally heartless.

Lost in Idaho

Lost in Idaho

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

Edited to move to correct forum. Sorry.

Edited by Lost in Idaho, Jun 5, 2004 @ 4:30 PM.

preggo

preggo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

I love the Waltons. One of my favorite tv shows of all time.

TVtimeknitter

TVtimeknitter

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 2:29 PM

It was Eric Scott. If I remember correctly she was disgnosed with cancer (or some other terminal illness) while pregnant, and she died shortly after the baby was born. I heard him talk about it in an interview and you can't help but cry. Well, I couldn't help it and I'm generally heartless.

IIRC, she put off having chemo until the baby was born, was unconcious when the baby was delivered and rushed straight to emergency radiation in hopes of prolonging her life just a short while. She died the same day without ever waking up to see her baby. I was pregnant when I saw this, and yeah, buckets of tears. Mr. Knitter won't even watch the Walton's now. So sad.

He met someone at a widow/widower support group and ended up marrying her. They were on a Walton's special and did seem happy.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 9:13 PM

Oh, that is just ... awful! Yet strangly Waltons-like.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

The other day on the TVLand rerun, John-Boy told Mama that he wanted to go hunting with Daddy and Grandpa.

Mama said, "You'll do no such thing. We've already got enough Walton men banging away at turkeys."

Heh.