The Waltons: Good Night John Boy!

• Please log in to reply

4944 replies to this topic

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Mary Ellen was a bitch when she decided to become a doctor.  She expected her family to take care of her kid while she goes to school.  WTF!!!

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

Saw an episode of Night Gallery last night with Will Geer and co-starring Slim Pickens. Weird seeing Grandpa Walton without a mustache.

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Aug 30, 2013 @ 10:41 AM.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 10:57 AM

How is Jim-bob so drunk he doesn't know if he has done Kathy or not?

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

The infamous not the original Curtis has a broken weiner episodes are back for our snarking pleasure. 

Edited by bigskygirl, Aug 30, 2013 @ 2:08 PM.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 4:29 PM

Ironically, Curt is being a huge dick by pretending he doesn't know Mary Ellen when she shows up in Florida. 

Erin really grew up to be the hottest by the end. A lot of that was the hair. In the later seasons she had that long, feathered hair that helped make her face look less long. 

Man, Cindy looked a lot like Cheryl Tiegs. Now I'm picturing her in a mesh swimsuit.

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Aug 30, 2013 @ 9:55 PM.

zabadu

zabadu

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

I actually thought Mary Ellen and Curt were a good pair, when the writers were still writing well.  He put her in her place, and she listened to him.  He didn't tame her spirit, and gave as good as she did.  Then it seemed the writers gave up, and Curt was written less and less into the show.  By the time he was shipped into the service, they had them down to a line or two each.  I really think there was a tiff between the two actors because they went from being warm to each others character to looking like they didn't want to be in the same room.  I think that's why they killed off Curt.

Curt, the way he was written, would have never done what they wrote later.  I know this whole thing sounds like I'm too invested in this, but I've watched these a couple of times and just watched it all deteriorate.  It had to be something behind the scenes that pushed it that way.  After that, the Mary Ellen character became a bitter, know-it-all character.

I just found this...doesn't explain the sudden chemistry change, but it explains a lot...

Why did Tom Bower leave the Waltons?

Answer:
I left, because i asked for a raise, and the producers sent me to Pearl Harbor. Bob Donner used to prompt me to answer this question every time we'd be playing Golf and a group of people would be around. The late, great, Donner, used to crack up laughing every time he heard the story.
Then, i was offered a show where Curtis Williard was found alive after being washed up on a beach. I asked for the same raise, so, they re-cast the part with Scott Hyland. I once confronted Merv Addelson, who, along with Lee Rich, was Lorimar, and the producer of The Waltons; and told him the story.

Addelson, just laughed, and said:" That's what we did with everyone who asked for a raise, We just killed them off".

But i liked Merv, Lee, and everyone connected to the show. No hard feelings, I've returned to all the reunions, going on the Walton's Aprreciation Cruise, this coming October; and truth be known; my career has been better for leaving the series when i did.

Peace!

Tom Bower

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

I once confronted Merv Addelson, who, along with Lee Rich, was Lorimar, and the producer of The Waltons; and told him the story.

Addelson, just laughed, and said:" That's what we did with everyone who asked for a raise, We just killed them off".

Well that explains what happened to Valerie Harper on her own sitcom "Valerie" in the 80s when she asked for more money! That was a Lorimar production too.

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Aug 30, 2013 @ 9:02 PM.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

Now I wish that the actress who played Maude Gormley had asked for a raise...

I'm going to Virginia Beach in a few days. I hope I can locate that restaurant where John-Boy and old dying Irish lady ate lobster for $2.50.

zabadu

zabadu

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

Maybe that's what happened to Ben and Cindy's children in one of the reunions.  Too bad Rose and the kids didn't ask for a raise.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 10:36 PM

John Curtis and Jonsy must have ask for raises too.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2013 @ 11:03 PM

I must say say Tom Bower has a fun attitude about the whole thing. He sounds like a cool guy. Good for him.

I think we've coined a new phrase here.  If Happy Days helped give us the phrase "jumped the shark", to refer to when a show has worn out his welcome,The Waltons has given us "Asked for a raise" when referring to any actor on any show asking for more money and suddenly being "killed off".

I wouldn't have minded if Corabeth had asked for a raise..

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Watching the bad television movies, and JimBob has a fuller face, but he is not overweight.  John Boy is just as obnoxious as before.

Did Paul "asked for a raise" too  Funny how the men who marry ME and Erin turn out to jerks or disappear.  G.W., the original Ashley, and Chad must have asked for money too.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

I like this discrepancy on the last movie:

At the beginning of the movie John-Boy appears on Channel 8 News reporting on the Apollo 11 Moon landing. Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon on July 20, 1969. However, the setting for the movie is Easter in 1969. Easter occurred on April 6, over three months BEFORE the historic Moon landing.....

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Sep 2, 2013 @ 1:52 PM.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 4:11 PM

Well it was really news then.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:15 PM

Yes, Mary Ellen you and your mother went through the same thing.  Your mother had seven kids before menopause came along, and her life is over because she cannot keep producing more obnoxious, co-dependent children who call their parents mama and daddy in their adult years.  I can see why Jonsy went to Vietnam.  He probably wanted to get away from you.

And John, you call out Cindy's mother for being too involved in her life.  Pot meet kettle.  Your married children and their families are living with you.  Your son-in-law has his vet business in your barn.  Your one son-in-law left your daughter because he felt smothered by your family.  I suggest you follow your own advice.

And Amy turns out to be the area slut.  Who knew...

Edited by bigskygirl, Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:19 PM.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

In the Waltons universe John-Boy would probably be the only to one to cover every historical event mentioned in Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire":

Harry Truman, Doris Day,

Red China, Johnnie Ray 
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio 

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon,

Studebaker, television 
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe 

Rosenbergs, H-bomb,

Sugar Ray, Panmunjom 
Brando, "The King and I" and "The Catcher in the Rye" 

Eisenhower, vaccine,

England's got a new queen 
Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye 

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov,

Nasser and Prokofiev 
Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc 

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron,

Toscanini, Dacron 
Dien Bien Phu falls, "Rock Around the Clock" 

Einstein, James Dean,

Brooklyn's got a winning team 
Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland 

Bardot, Budapest,

Alabama, Krushchev 
Princess Grace, "Peyton Place", trouble in the Suez  

Little Rock, Pasternak,

Mickey Mantle, Kerouac 
Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, "Bridge on the River Kwai" 

Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle,

California baseball 
Starkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide 

Buddy Holly, "Ben Hur",

space monkey, Mafia 
Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go 

U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy 
Chubby Checker, "Psycho", Belgians in the Congo 

Hemingway, Eichmann,

"Stranger in a Strange Land" 
Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion 

"Lawrence of Arabia",

British Beatlemania 
Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson 

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex 
JFK, blown away, what else do I have to say 

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh,

Richard Nixon back again 
Moonshot, Woodstock,

Watergate, punk rock 

Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline 
Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan 

"Wheel of Fortune", Sally Ride,

heavy metal, suicide 
Foreign debts, homeless vets,

AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz 
Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law 
Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore! 

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:35 PM.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

Don't forget 9/11 and what is going on in Syria.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

I really want a newscaster pushing a 100 delivering me news like that. 

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

John Boy is the greatest reporter/writer at any age don't ya know.  *rolling eyes*

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

I didn't actually watch the Waltons though I remember vaguely seeing reruns on The Family Channel, as I enjoyed the WTF? campiness of Little House on the Prairie more, but I'm catching the T.V. movies.

They really just didn't give a shit about period costuming, did they? I mean, I understand if people got tired of keeping their hair in 30s/40's style for a decade, but the movies were a shorter deal, and every guy except for the recast John Boy had feathered hair in 1957 in the early 80's ones. Then there's the movie supposedly set in 1969 where the only person who looks even remotely right is Elizabeth, while they have kids walking around in 90's Bugle Boy shirts.

I also don't get how it's possible that the parents have only been married for 40 years/married in 1929, unless they were living in sin for a decade or so.

Edited by MethodActor05, Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:11 PM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

The early 80's movies were set in 47, not 57, but yeah, they didn't even try to get the hair right. And the F-ed up timelines with the three CBS movies in the 90's are a topic of much discussion on this board, MethodActor05. I refuse to acknowledge they exist, except for my love of Richard Thomas. He is the ONLY JohnBoy Walton, I accept no substitutes.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:14 PM

I also don't get how it's possible that the parents have only been married for 40 year/married in 1929, unless they were living in sin for a decade or so.

That is one of the things some of us have questioned more than once.

Poor Elizabeth, Drew is not chasing after her like a dog in heat.  I guess he is suppose to wait for her to finish travelling around the world instead of having a life.  How dare he!!!

Edited by bigskygirl, Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:14 PM.

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 8:24 PM

I really don't like John-Boy's wife, Janet! She said something like, "The Empire State Building was built so that people would have something to look at other than the stars." Because the sky is sooooo boring!

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

As we've discussed, the Walton movies skip the 50's entirely.  Reading Charlieboo's parody, I had a picture of the Walton's not just reporting the news, but being part of it.  Like:

John Boy waltzing with Queen Elizabeth at her coronation party, while Jason plays the organ (the musical one, it's not that hot)

Elvis, tiring of fame, flees to Walton's Mountain, where his car breaks down and he has a weekend romance with Erin, only to leave without marrying her

Jim Bob, worried about Sputnik, builds the first rocket to outer space in his garage.

MaryEllen cures polio, but Salk beats her to the patent

Elizabeth enters a contest for the guiness world record in hula hoop spinning, but she loses out in the final hour because she feels badly for the polio crippled girl twirling next to her.  Mama fears Elizabeth will go to hell because hula hoops are not the Bapist way

Ben tries to become a millionaire by opening an Edsel dealership

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Also, Ike Godsey invents the 10 items or less check-out line. Actually, he did. No one ever seemed to buy more than two or three items at a time at his store.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 10:54 AM

They really just didn't give a shit about period costuming, did they? I mean, I understand if people got tired of keeping their hair in 30s/40's style for a decade, but the movies were a shorter deal, and every guy except for the recast John Boy had feathered hair in 1957 in the early 80's ones. Then there's the movie supposedly set in 1969 where the only person who looks even remotely right is Elizabeth, while they have kids walking around in 90's Bugle Boy shirts.

As if any of them had their hair in the correct 30s and 40s period hair during the original run! No girl had hair as long and straight as Mary Ellen in the actual 1930s. Also was Grandpa Walton either a symphony conductor or Albert Einstein? Because those were the only men who wore hair that long back then too!

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Sep 3, 2013 @ 11:32 AM.

Tim McD

Tim McD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

Or that Jason was fighting the Nazis on the same dirt road that led to Druscilla's Pond...OMG, the Nazis were on Walton's Mountain and no one noticed!

Don't get me started on that. What's worse is that in the same episode they go between Jason in Germany and Ben in Japan AND IT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME.  

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

Yeah, John-Boy must have been really disappointed to finally go out to see the world only to discover most of it looks exactly like Walton's Mountain! It's like a planet in a Star Wars movie, where there's only type of environment covering the whole thing! 

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Sep 3, 2013 @ 11:39 AM.

Tim McD

Tim McD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

It's a pity because Earl Hamner so desperately wanted to propel the show into the World War II years only to have those episodes come out with such shoddy quality.  I'd love to see what passes for Paris in Walton World; Rockfish with some French language signs haphazardly hanging here and there?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 3:35 PM

We did see Paris, in the episode "Faux John Boy has sex with a French tart in a bookstore".  It was far less cosmopolitan than Rockfish.