The Waltons: Good Night John Boy!

• Please log in to reply

4944 replies to this topic

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

I would like to shoot the person who came up with John Curtis for the first grandson.

Probably the same nitwit who came up with JohnBoy.

Tim McD

Tim McD

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Yesterday I watched "The Portrait", in which the guy from the 1980's "WAR OF THE WORLDS" TV show makes an appearance as an artist who fled the Nazis in France. Unfortunately, his experiences made him go coo-coo and only able to make gruesome paintings.

Those dastardly Nazis also apparently took away any talent he had for painting. The scene, set to ominous mournful music, where Ike, Olivia and ME gaze at the preschool-like paintings is one of the most unintentionally funny moments from The Waltons.

Jen2000

Jen2000

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

Probably the same nitwit who came up with JohnBoy.

If John Boy was based on "Clay Boy", the main character in the book Spencer's Mountain, and Clay Boy was inspired by Earl Hamner, does that mean Earl was known as "Earl Boy" as a child? Something for me to ponder this weekend.

Meanwhile I watched "The Ordeal" last night--in which a pile of telephone-pole-sized logs collapses onto Elizabeth and she can never walk again--until the end of the episode. I was with ME on this one--she's the only one who really stuck it to Ben and Jim Bob letting them know they should feel totally guilty for letting this happen. That's right Jim Bob you should move into the barn because that's where you deserve to live.

Oh and I love me some Will Geer but I couldn't help but smirk, knowing the rumours I've heard here about his sexual proclivities, when he insisted on moving into the boys' room even though there wasn't enough beds, saying they would all have to squeeze into the beds pushed together......

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Jen2000, I saw an interview with Mr Hamner for the Archive Of American Television, and he was indeed called "Earl Boy" by the family, since his father was, uh, you know, Earl Hamner Sr.But "JohnBoy" just sounds better than "Earl Boy" or God help us, "ClayBoy".

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

Sorry, but it was not Ben or JimBob's fault.

Elizabeth should have known better then to climb on this logs.

Of course Elizabeth is the youngest child so she can do no wrong. 99.9% of the time she nothing but a spoiled, whiny, obnoxious pain in the butt.

Edited by bigskygirl, May 5, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

Clay-Boy always makes me literally LOL - I keep imagining someone made the kid in the backyard.

On the other hand, maybe they should just have named Elizabeth Snot-Girl.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

"Clay-Boy" sounds like a friend of Gumby and Pokey to me.
Personally, I think Aimee pushed the logs onto Elizabeth-by killing Elizabeth, she could assume her place in the Walton household and escape the smothering, overprotective Corabeth and the p-whipped Ike.
CSI:Walton's Mountain. Tonight, on CBS.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:24 AM

Personally, I think Aimee pushed the logs onto Elizabeth-by killing Elizabeth, she could assume her place in the Walton household and escape the smothering, overprotective Corabeth and the p-whipped Ike.

No, The attempted murder of Elizabeth was meant to be the first in a series. Corabeth had Aimee convinced that if they could wipe out John Walton's family they could inherit the mountain, sell it to developers and be set for life, leaving Ike and moving to New York or Paris. After all, Corabeth is a Walton too. Unfortunately they were only successful in offing JohnBoy, replacing him with an imposter that agreed not to press a claim to the estate.
Curt found out about the plan and Corabeth bribed him to disappear.

Edited by Willowsmom, May 6, 2012 @ 1:29 AM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Oh man, I would totally tune in for that series!!

I'm sure we could find a place for Marcia Woolery as an accomplice, too...

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

We know about not-John-Boy and we've discussed not-Curt. Wasn't there a not-Amy too? And a not-Ashley Longworth?

Tim McD

Tim McD

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

My favorite CSI: Waltons Mountain was when Maude Gormley, GW and Hobie Shanks all turned up murdered. It was a short episode because everyone was okay with that.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Well, you know, Ralph Waite HAS been popping up a few times on Bones, so we can always have the FBI cross over, showing up to investigate mountain shenanigans...

Tim McD

Tim McD

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Will Geer sings a medley from "The Cradle Will Rock" at the 1974 Tony Awards. Michael Learned introduces. Seeing Grandpa in top hat and tails prancing around a stage takes a little getting used to.

Edited by Tim McD, May 7, 2012 @ 4:17 PM.

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

So much snarking has its payoff. I just popped into msn.com and noticed one of their 7 headlines is "75 Years Later, Hinderburg Pics Still Shock".

First thing that came to mind was stage hands throwing flaming pieces of paper around.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Tim, thanks for that link! I remembered that WG did that, but had never thought to check on that site. You're right-that was...different, but it reminded me of the episode when Grandpa has a heart attack while singing about Tahiti. And Michael Learned looked like she was trying not to blink during her intro.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

I want to know how the he** did Olivia came down with TB.

And yes I wanted JimBob to run over CoraBeth with his beat up car.

What happened to the young cute minister Elizabeth had the hots for.

Edited by bigskygirl, May 7, 2012 @ 7:27 PM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

What happened to the young cute minister Elizabeth had the hots for

He discovered Corabeth and Aimee's plot so they had to silence him.
They dropped his lifeless body into Drucilla's Pond, next to the statue of Annabell Lee.

Edited by prairiegal, May 7, 2012 @ 8:26 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Well, you know, Ralph Waite HAS been popping up a few times on Bones, so we can always have the FBI cross over, showing up to investigate mountain shenanigans...

And NCIS.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Coincidence? I think not.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

He discovered Corabeth and Aimee's plot so they had to silence him.
They dropped his lifeless body into Drucilla's Pond, next to the statue of Annabell Lee.

Since bodies tend to float, they tied him to the Annabell Lee statue. Corabeth's tendency to talk for hours on end gave her the ability to hold her breath for hours, so diving to the statue wasn't a problem.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

In otherwords, Corabeth's so called drinking problem was just a cover to sneak off somewhere to plan the "accidents" of the Walton clan.

I wonder if she was trying to get rid of John Curtis during her nature bird watching walk with him.

The plot thins...

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Actually, on Bones just last week, Booth and Brennan were at a crime scene and he snapped, "What is this, the Waltons?!" Sounds to me like David Boreanaz is already on board with the idea....

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I have a question for the Walton-ites out there... I watched an episode not too long ago where grandpa and Ben were talking about the civil war. Ben says "The Civil War" and grandpa immediately corrects him to say "The War Between The States" and Ben apologizes right away to him- not to get too off topic from the show, but why would there be a distinction? Is this something other people would have done during this time or was this just a Waltons thing? It struck me as odd (I'm Canadian, therefore little to no American history... sorry for offending anybody).

ME TOO! That has always struck me as odd... I suppose it was going around at the time, but there's no explanation as to how Olivia got it when nobody else seemed to.

wlk68

wlk68

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Nowadays we Americans call it The Civil War but back in the day, southerners always referred to the conflict as the war between the states or the war of northern aggression. Heck, they may still call it that but I can't say for sure since I'm a Yank from Massachusetts.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

ME TOO! That has always struck me as odd... I suppose it was going around at the time, but there's no explanation as to how Olivia got it when nobody else seemed to.

One of two ways. Either Michael Learned refused to sign a new contract but TPTB wanted to leave the door open OR Olivia was way friendlier with that art teacher than we suspected.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

A quick Google turns up a Wiki about the history of tuberculosis, which tells us the disease could be caught via spit...like, when guys hawked loogies. A movement passed in the 20th century to prohibit public spitting except in spittoons.

Hmm, anyone starting to wonder just where Olivia was spending her time?? And here she was all along, complaining about Jason's employment...

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Maybe Olivia got wind of what CoraBeth and Aimee was up to and went undercover to protect her family.

The plot gets thinner and thinner by the minute.

Hollysmom

Hollysmom

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

"Nowadays we Americans call it The Civil War but back in the day, southerners always referred to the conflict as the war between the states or the war of northern aggression. Heck, they may still call it that but I can't say for sure since I'm a Yank from Massachusetts."

The War for Southern Independence.

Edited by Hollysmom, May 9, 2012 @ 9:28 AM.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Believe me, in Virginia in the 1930s it would have completely been the War of Northern Agression. Anyone would have corrected Ben. The whole civil war/slave thing is why there is a West Virgnia. WV didn't want to be part of Virginia anymore after the way VA acted.

In one of the movies, John Boy (the real one) finds out that one of the Walton ancestors fought for the North. He wants to publish this. Grandma pretty much disowns him for wanting to do such a disgraceful thing. It is shameful to her that a family member would support the North.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Could Ben be more of an a$$ after marrying Cindy.