Degrassi Junior High / Degrassi High

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

527 replies to this topic

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

What other weird nicknames were there? Snake, Wheels, Clutch, BLT (was that it? I have no idea if I'm remembering that one correctly. He was Michelle's boyfriend), Spike (which was appropriate), Scooter... I'm sure there are more, but I'm blanking out right now.

You forgot Bronco!

I was watching the Degrassi movie today when I noticed something: I am almost positive that the black guy who played Tim is the same guy who played Petrocelli on Ready or Not (another Canadian kids/teens show in the same vein as Degrassi; I know that some of TPTB who worked on Degrassi also worked on Ready or Not). Am I hallucinating?

CrazyBeautiful

CrazyBeautiful

Posted May 31, 2004 @ 10:35 PM

Try looking it up on IMDB.

I am retarded because I watched Degrassi JH and High faithfully, and I cannot remember a Tim to save my life.

ctoan

ctoan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 5:09 AM

Tim was the nerdy black guy. Wasn't he the one who wouldn't do the drugs with Shane and the other guy?

holdencaulfield2003

holdencaulfield2003

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 12:43 PM

Tim was the guy who went out to a concert with Liz and tried to kiss her and she retracted, because she had been molested as a child. This was in the last season, i believe.

morecowbell

morecowbell

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 4:11 PM

This show is awesome. I remember thinking I was the only one watching it, until I read an interview a few years later with kevin Smith and how he got hooked on the show when he was working at the Quick Stop. I had such a crush on Wheels, but yes, he did become kind fo a jerk when his parents died. But shouldn't he have been in counseling or something.

I always hated Arthur's sister and was so happy when she disappeared!

buzzylee

buzzylee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2004 @ 6:01 PM

Stephanie (Arthur's sister) had some sort of a meltdown and ended up going to another school. I only saw the episode a couple of times, but I do remember alot of screaming and throwing of her shoes at the Degrassi Jr. High building while a twin or two (can't remember) looked on in horror. Does anyone remember what brought that on? I can't.

panpan23

panpan23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 12:52 PM

Yeah, I wasn't too much of a fan of Stephanie Kaye, but I also remember one of the reasons she went to another school was because Arthur's mom had won the lottery or something. Anyway, she left Degrassi for Learning the Ropes, that really poor attempt at a sitcom starring the late Lyle Alzado.

She was, I recall, on the Degrassi cast reunion episode of the show Jonovision back in 2000-2001 and from what I've heard (I've never actually see the episode) acted kinda like a moron.

ChynaWhite

ChynaWhite

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

Tim is the same guy who played Petrocelli on Ready or Not

Yup! And OT, but the guy who played The Liz was on Catwalk.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

Tyson Talbot, who played Jason Cox on DJH for like, three episodes and was on The Kids of Degrassi Street as well, has been acquitted of murder.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 11:46 AM

I don't remember that character at all. Is there a photo of him anywhere?

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 1:28 PM

panpan23, is that Jono playing 'Shane' on Degrassi:TNG? Looks like him, but since I'm not in Canada..

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 1:52 PM

I don't remember that character at all. Is there a photo of him anywhere?

I couldn't find one, but if it helps, he was a black kid who had a significant part in the episode where Melanie is obsessing over her boobs and the boys swim team races against the girls swim team.

is that Jono playing 'Shane' on Degrassi:TNG?

Yup, that's him! Playing a mentally challenged person seems like a very difficult thing to do, but Jono did a terrific job.

Edited by Charlotte, Jun 8, 2004 @ 1:44 PM.

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2004 @ 6:42 PM

Awwww, I remember watching DH as a kid. Then one day a teacher popped in a tape of DJH and I went into shock. I had no idea the show wen tback so far. I also didn't know the show was a canandian import until I was in high school. I remember I just used to the way they said certain words ("sorry" jumps immediately to mind) and think it was strange. I used to watch it on PBS. I don't remember too much about it now, but I'm shocked (SHOCKED) to find originals are on Degrassi Next. Maybe I will have to give that show a chance after all...

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2004 @ 11:47 AM

I just used to the way they said certain words ("sorry" jumps immediately to mind) and think it was strange.

Did they say it like "SORE-ee" or "SAW-ree"? Because I'm from Toronto and I say it both ways. Just curious. I have become kind of self-conscious about (aboot?) my Canadian accent lately for no real reason. :)

Some random trivia: The woman who played Kathleen's alcoholic mother was actually played by Stefan Brogren's (Snake's) real-life mom.

Eh, I don't really care too much about NuDegrassi anymore. It's a big pile of meh. I'd be more upset if TPTB said, "SORE-ee, but DJH/DH will never come out on DVD" than if they said, "SORE-ee, but TNG has been cancelled."

Edited by Charlotte, Jun 23, 2004 @ 8:51 PM.

Amberosia

Amberosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

It was "SORE-ee". It used to freak me out just a little bit, because I didn't know why EVERYBODY was saying it that way.

I did watch TNG the past couple nights. Not as good as original flavor, but I felt all warm and fuzzy seeing Spike (she's aged nicely, but I wasn't sure that was her with that dark hair), Joey (bald, he's bald, man!) and Snake (baldING.) Actually I didn't recognize him at first, especially since they kept calling him Mr. Simpson, but then I flipped through my mental rolladex and everything fell into place.

Edited by Amberosia, Jun 23, 2004 @ 7:16 PM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2004 @ 7:34 PM

OMG! My sister and I used to watch Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High every Sunday after church. Seriously. My family would go to Sunday school and service, and we'd be back by 11, and my sister and I would rush to the TV to watch these shows on PBS. It was our self-proclaimed "bonding time." My sister bought me some VHS sets of the shows a few years ago for Christmas.

The Degrassi Junior High ones include the episodes where Stephanie morphs from ChurchyRegular!Girl to SuperSlutty!Girl in order to become eighth-grade president, Voula sneaks out of the house to go to a school dance, redheaded doofus Arthur concocts an experiment to show that Mr. Raditch is biased against his Asian friend Yick, Joey sees Rick beaten up by his father, L.D. goes bra shopping and challenges the boys' soccer team to a swimming race, and that bitch Kathleen (hate her!) spreading rumors that Ms. Avery is gay.

The Degrassi High episodes include the episodes where Michelle's parents split up, Arthur fancies Caitlin from afar while she is with Joey, Erica thinks that she's pregnant, Joey, Snake and Wheels form The Zits (horrible band name!) and record the classic song "Everybody Wants Something," and Kathleen gets beat up by boyfriend Scott.

I have now pulled all of these tapes out of the closet where they are stored and desperately want to watch them again. I like how real issues were dealt with in these episodes and they weren't glossed over, like on other shows. I never got a sense of the people being "actors," I always thought of them as their characters.

I loved Joey and Caitlin. Didn't Caitlin break up with Joey over some weird guy named Claude? I remember Mr. Raditch catching Joey walking throught the cafeteria, with only his trademark hat. I remember Wheels being really cool at first, but then turning into kind of a prick. I remember Lucy and BLT (what a name!).

sravenk

sravenk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 9:36 AM

Awwww, I remember watching DH as a kid. Then one day a teacher popped in a tape of DJH and I went into shock. I had no idea the show wen tback so far.

Well, not to knock your socks off, but actually before Degrassi Junior High there was also a show called The Kids of Degrassi Street, also shot here in Toronto, and starring many of the same actors who went on to do DJH and DH, and even DTNH, although as I recall some of the characters had different names. Like Stacie Mistysyn, who plays Caitlin on DJH, DH and DTNH was named "Lisa" on the earlier show.

Ha, ha, it is so funny remembering all of these episodes. I think the one where Stephanie runs for pres ("All the way with Stephanie Kaye!") is the first episode I ever watched. As far as the band goes, though, I always remembered ti as "Zit RemedY", or did it start out as something different and then morph into that later?

I loved Joey and Caitlin. Didn't Caitlin break up with Joey over some weird guy named Claude?

I thought they broke up in part because Joey failed grade eight or nine, staying behind while Caitlin moved on to the next grade, and partly because Joey wanted sex while Caitlin wanted to wait. But I may be mistaken. Claude did show up for awhile, and Caitlin was all into him because he was all existential and tortured in a black-beret poet kind of way. But he was also depressed and as I recall he offed himself later that season.

Edited by sravenk, Jun 24, 2004 @ 9:44 AM.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 11:57 AM

As far as the band goes, though, I always remembered ti as "Zit RemedY", or did it start out as something different and then morph into that later?

IIRC, the band was called The Zit Remedy in DJH and they changed it to The Zits in DH. They also changed the lyrics to that "one and only" lameass song they had from, "The Degrassi sensations, the one and only Zit Remedy is here!" to "The Degrassi sensations, the one and only... the Zits are here!"

I always wondered why an uptight brainiac like Caitlin would go out with a guy like Joey. Don't get me wrong, they had adorable chemistry together, but even though Claude creeped me out, I thought he was more Caitlin's type.

panpan23

panpan23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 1:03 PM

I loved Joey and Caitlin. Didn't Caitlin break up with Joey over some weird guy named Claude?

I thought they broke up in part because Joey failed grade eight or nine, staying behind while Caitlin moved on to the next grade, and partly because Joey wanted sex while Caitlin wanted to wait. But I may be mistaken. Claude did show up for awhile, and Caitlin was all into him because he was all existential and tortured in a black-beret poet kind of way. But he was also depressed and as I recall he offed himself later that season.

Sorta. She dumped Joey for Claude, but she broke up with him after they were vandalizing the wall of a weapons factory (or something like that) and were caught by a security guard, who chased after them. Caitlin got stuck on a fence, and instead of helping her, Claude ("Clode") punked out and ran away. He did later kill himself.

But Caitlin and Joey got back together, and if any of you have seen School's Out, you all know what happened there (Joey cheated on Caitlin with Tessa because Tessa would give it up and she wouldn't. This, of course, resulted in the best line of anything Degrassi ever: "Tessa Campinelli? You were fucking Tessa Campinelli?")

Degrassi online has a pretty good summary of all of the Degrassi stuff prior to TNG.

Rachel RSL

Rachel RSL

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 3:41 PM

I thought they broke up in part because Joey failed grade eight or nine, staying behind while Caitlin moved on to the next grade,

I think it was the opposite. Joey was a grade ahead of Caitlin and then failed the year so he ended up in the same grade as her. That's how they got together. I can't remember why they broke up though.

Maybe it's because I'm from Toronto but I'm not fully understanding the "sorry" debate. Isn't it supposed to be pronouced "sore-eee". How else would you say it?

Edited by Rachel RSL, Jun 24, 2004 @ 3:41 PM.

sevhevcracksmeup

sevhevcracksmeup

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 3:54 PM

Most Americans say it "sarr-ee;" "sore-y" is how most Canadians are perceived to pronounce it, so whenever you hear someone say "sore-y" and "a-boat" instead of "abowt" when saying about, you know they're Canadian (or possibly from "Minne-so-ta").

sravenk

sravenk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:31 PM

Okay, you fine american folk are always saying we say "a-boat", but I think that's like Irish or something. we say a-bout, and americans say a-baowt. How a-boat that interpretation? ;P

Have to agree with you on the sore-y/sarr-ee dichotomy, though.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder on the Joey-Caitlin-Claude thing, and for the link.

BTW, how does the rest of america say "Minnesota"?

Edited by sravenk, Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:32 PM.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:32 PM

Does anyone remember the theme song?

Here's the DJH one:
Wake up in the morning,
Feeling shy and lonely,
Gee, I gotta go to school! [cheesy guitar riff]
I don't think I can make it,
Don't think I can take it,
I'm wondering what I'm gonna do.
But when I look around I see
That someone is smiling right at me... WAIT!
That someone's talking to me,
Hey, I've got a new friend!
Everybody can succeed,
All you need is to believe,
Just be honest with yourself,
Forget [can't make out this part]
C'mon, give us a try,
At Degrassi Junior High!

I don't remember all the lyrics to the DH song, which was slightly different. But I do remember that the credits ended with the words "Degrassi High" in a shot on top of someone's jean-clad ass.

Edited by jcpdiesel21, Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:35 PM.

sravenk

sravenk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 4:42 PM

Awww, yeah. We used to sing that in the bus on the way to our basketball tournaments in high school. I can't remember the part that you couldn't make out, there, but I used to know it back in the day. Now that will be plaguing me all night.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

To the best of my recollection, the Degrassi High theme song was:

Wake up in the morning
Gotta shake that feeling
I gotta face a day of school
What's to be afraid of?
I can ask a question
Or maybe even bend the rules
I'm searching for a place where I'll fit in
There's a way if I look that I can win
Yeah, I can see I'm not alone
I can face the unknown
Mmm-hmm
Everybody can succeed, in yourself
You must believe
Give it a try
At Degrassi High

ETA: jcpdiesel21, the part you forgot was, "Forget your fears and doubts."

Edited by Charlotte, Jun 24, 2004 @ 8:42 PM.

sravenk

sravenk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

Oh, bless you, Charlotte.

schoolzout

schoolzout

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 28, 2004 @ 6:05 PM

so glad to have found this thread. I feel like the world's oldest Degrassi TNG fan. My husband didn't watch the show and often wonders why I'm so into this teen show. I've tried to explain, but it's tough.

I loved loved love Degrassi JH and HS (didn't watch the kids one). I had the biggest crush on wheels (before his parents died) and Yick (when he was less "cool" early on).

One of things that I wish they do more of in the new version is really expand on lots of the characters and keep things consistant. Although the Spike pregnancy was a big deal, it wasn't the ONLY story line, like how the episodes are now. And, problem's didn't really disappear that quickly (ie, Ashley-Toby step relationship?)

I always thought that Lucy was really cool, she seems so mature. The one person I really didn't like was Alexa if I remember correctly.

I miss how the kids acted normal, how they showed sex in a real way (not every abortion is broadcasted at school and you have this unrequited love/lust.

Haven't seen any Degrassi original episodes in a while, so I can't say if I'm being nostalgic or if in fact the original was a million times better (which I am betting to say it was) than D: TNG.

As for Caitlyn being spacey- yes! what the heck! She's like what Emma is now, all Ms. For-a-Cause. I think they wanted to play some kind of dichotomy with her and Sydney. But I do think it's interesting that Joey has grown up so much (still cute though).

sigh... the good ole days.

Charlotte

Charlotte

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2004 @ 2:44 PM

I always thought that Lucy was really cool, she seems so mature.

I never really liked Lucy. In the early DJH episodes, she was a spoiled brat. I remember being mad at Lucy when she and Voula went to Towers (anyone remember that store? It was similar to Zellers) and got Voula into trouble when she was the one who shoplifted. And in the later DH episodes, she was a know-it-all, above-it-all type who was pretentious and bossy. At least, that's the impression I had of her.

Haven't seen any Degrassi original episodes in a while, so I can't say if I'm being nostalgic or if in fact the original was a million times better (which I am betting to say it was) than D: TNG.

Well, I watch both on a regular basis and I think that Original Degrassi is definitely better. The new one is too glossy and I don't really care about or relate to any of the characters, not to mention that NuDegrassi seems to be regurgitating many of the same issues/plots that Original Degrassi had.

Softee

Softee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 18, 2004 @ 9:34 PM

I used to love going to Towers when i was a kid.

Brn2bwild

Brn2bwild

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2004 @ 9:50 PM

Okay, you fine american folk are always saying we say "a-boat", but I think that's like Irish or something. we say a-bout, and americans say a-baowt. How a-boat that interpretation? ;P

Have to agree with you on the sore-y/sarr-ee dichotomy, though.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder on the Joey-Caitlin-Claude thing, and for the link.

BTW, how does the rest of america say "Minnesota"?

From what I can tell, Americans say "sorry" and "about" like the English, while Canadians say it like the Scots.

Non-Minnesotans pronounce it "Minneso-ta," with the T almost soft enough to be a D, and there's less emphasis on the "so". Just like how Americans pronounce Missouri "Miz-ur-ee," except for people from the state, who pronounce it "Miz-ur-uh."

And on topic: I loved the old Degrassi and wish they would air it again. I still have memories of Caitlyn rolling on the floor in an epileptic seizure.

Edited by Brn2bwild, Jul 18, 2004 @ 9:55 PM.