The Suze Orman Show

• Please log in to reply

1639 replies to this topic

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

Unfortunately, to me it almost sounds like a forgetful senior who has to be redirected to disengage from unplanned situation (chat with strangers) to current task (having brunch).

Piano Player

Piano Player

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

The whole "Montrice" thing last night was just ridiculous. She's gorgeous, she's beautiful, she's this, she's that. C'mon, Sooze, everybody knows what you really want. If you want to get in her pants, then stand in your truth, you hypocrite. Of course if ol' Montrice wasn't so gorgeous and so beautiful, the Soooze would be bullying and belittling her like she bullies and belittles everybody else.

When I have more time, some comments from me upcoming on her totally unreliable advice on target funds and bond fund from last week . . .

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

That's the best possible slant, IMHO to place on Edith's encounter, SassySenior. Unfortunately, she's demonstrated her massive ego time and time again - same old Suz.

Haven't seen it yet, PianoPlayer, but if the Montrice interview is as bad as it sounds - can't stand it when she alters her advice b/c of her personal feelings - no matter the sex of the individual.

Edited by diydude, Apr 1, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.

pretyonthesofa

pretyonthesofa

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

Suze's drooling over Montreece was just so icky! Seriously Suze, maintain your professionalism or don't have her on th show It was uncomfortable to watch.

Piano Player

Piano Player

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Bizarre Sooooooze Moment #983:

The wife who didn't know about $300K of income tax liability from her husband. Surely this woman could file a petition for Innocent Spouse Relief. That's exactly what the provision is there for. There was even a sidebar alluding to Innocent Spouse Relief. But The Sooooooze never mentioned it! and gave the impression to the caller that she was responsible for the husband's taxes. Bad move, Soooooze. Worse than bad. Someone file a petition to get this clown off the air.

Just as bad, though not quite as bizarre: the advice to the young man to pay off his mortgage rather than invest. There is no better time to start investing than at a young age. Unfortunately this guy will probably listen to the Big-Toothed Blonde and miss out on his best years to start saving. Way to go, Sooooooooze.

Jessie Q

Jessie Q

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Ugh, a CIAI 40 year-old caller with hundreds of thousands in retirement and savings, no debt, owns their home who wants to know if she can afford $350/year to join a knitting club. Seriously? How transparent can someone be about wanting to brag on national TV about their financial situation?!

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

A favorite "Closer" repeat spared me from 60 minutes with Suze and the 5 minutes of phone calls from fame seeking callers.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Love the story upthread about Suze intruding personably and forcefully on a meal and continuing to talk (were you all exceptionally young and attractive and obviously affluent? I ask because I'm surprised by her interest as she seems more the "cold, aloof, 'what's in it for me?'" type. But..fun story.

I see her life insurance commercial almost daily--the one where she berates some guy in the audience because he "doesn't have life insurance". Note that no where does she say, "term" life insurance. Just the message that You, and you and you...everyone!...needs life insurance!

I guess, no matter how much money she has, she'll say anything for more.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Don't know the people who chatted with her in Chicago (WRT their attractiveness) but I doubt that matters to her. Bet she'd interact with anyone as long as it's all about SO.

Yeah, I've seen her pushing a debit card. It's unnecessary - a secured credit card would be a better choice for anyone needing to establish credit, IMHO. Gets her face out there, however. I do appreciate that CNBC (apparently) doesn't allow product promotions on her weekly show.

JMHO, YMMV.

Edited by diydude, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:48 PM.

Edith Stifle

Edith Stifle

Just Tuned In

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Hi Kali12. as far as my group looking young and affluent, we were all dressed nicely for the brunch and are in our late 30s to mid 40s. Affluent-not hardly. Who knows what sparked her rather intense interest. She was telling us how she was in town to do the Oprah show (this was back when it was on) and how much she loved doing it, how nice Oprah was personally--things like that. She didn't say anything odd, I suppose. It was just a little weird how she came up and starting talking away and when we all started nibbling at our food she still hung around.

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Well Suze struck again -- with her advice... which I HOPE the caller has enough sense NOT to listen to.

Suze denied an 18 year old a 1,000 trip to Europe with friends. I THINK it was Switzerland. The caller has a friend who lives there, So all she had to do would be get there, and have incidental money. Accommodations wouldn't be an issue. The trip was 2-thousand and the 18 year old parents were going to pay for half, and the caller would take ONE-thousand dollars out of her 3-thousand in savings. And she did have a little other money, a car payment and was living at home.

Suze ran her over the coals for wanting to take a-third of her savings for this trip....talking about you'll be going to college soon, it's a-third of your savings and you won't always be living at home...WTF.

Excuse me, Suze....1) there is nothing WRONG with living at home even through college...2) 18-years-old IS THE PERFECT time to take a trip like this. Do it now WHILE young. So what it's 1-thou out of her 3-thou savings. She's 18!. She has a car payment big deal. She also obviously has supportive parents. What the hell expenses does she really have to worry about that are enough of a consideration NOT to take this trip?

I hope the caller DOES take her trip and spend time with her friends.

I really think Suze has issue with granting things to people -- that SHE didn't have when she was young. SHE didn't go to Europe when SHE was young so ....that must mean someone else doesn't need to do it. What about the EXPERIENCE and education that trip could provide. Anything SHE didn't get or have growing up must not be worth having.

Edited by selhars, May 27, 2012 @ 12:31 PM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Have to agree with you, selhars, even though I haven't seen this episode, yet. (This isn't on the top of my dvr's list.) She's done it before. Reminds me of times when she's told callers to skip major family or other events overseas. With 50% covered and accommodations, at that age, go to Switzerland, caller! You only live once -

What happened to "People first, blah, blah, blah", Sister SO? Guess it only applies to Orman desires.

Edited by diydude, May 27, 2012 @ 9:46 PM.

Crocodileguy1

Crocodileguy1

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 4:38 AM

The question is "Can I Afford It?" and strictly that. The 18-year old girl honestly couldn't afford her $1,000 share of the trip expenses, between the low amount in savings (less of an issue at this age for Suze) and, most importantly, the $15,000 car loan at 5.14%. Had she not had the $15,000 (!!) debt, she'd probably have been approved. Why would an 18-year-old need a $15,000 car loan? Clearly her financial priorities are already out-of-whack.

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

The question is "Can I Afford It?" and strictly that. The 18-year old girl honestly couldn't afford her $1,000 share of the trip expenses, between the low amount in savings (less of an issue at this age for Suze) and, most importantly, the $15,000 car loan at 5.14%. Had she not had the $15,000 (!!) debt, she'd probably have been approved. Why would an 18-year-old need a $15,000 car loan? Clearly her financial priorities are already out-of-whack.

It's only Suze's opinion --which I cordially disagree with often. I don't know why some people call her about stupid stuff anyway.
I was working while I was watching so don't remember whether the 18-year-old was working. I presume she was because of her car loan. So clearly she'd make more money to build her savings and replace the trip money.

Suze was over the top. IMO one car loan at 18 years old is not enough of an issue to not take a trip to Europe when you've got the chance to do it at a great price. Not only do I think the experience and memories of the trip are worth it, and think it she can afford it. Other than her car payment and maybe a cell phone -- when living at home -- unless she pays a token amount of 'rent' what real living expenses did she have?

Suze just has to ALWAYS be right. She tells 40-year-olds they running out of time to save for retirement, yet she tells 50-year-olds they have 20 more years of working time. Which is it? So, in the latest rant he tells this 18 year old who has DECADES -- and a lifetime -- ahead of her to save, not to take a trip to Europe with friends when the girl only needs money to get there and pocket money -- because a friend is already living there.

Just because a person doesn't have 8 months living expenses doesn't meant they can't afford to do something pleasurable or non-essential in the mean time.

Edited by selhars, May 28, 2012 @ 11:50 AM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

ITA, selhars. If she's living at home and her parents are helping out with her expenses, IMHO she can't afford not to go to Europe for $1K. Perhaps MissO needs to think about the minimum cost for certain activities. Otherwise, the caller might spend more on medical treatment after she's been kicking herself for the next 10-30 years b/c she passed up a nearly free trip to Europe (lol).

JMHO.

Edited by diydude, May 29, 2012 @ 5:07 PM.

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

18-years-old IS THE PERFECT time to take a trip like this. Do it now WHILE young. So what it's 1-thou out of her 3-thou savings. She's 18!. She has a car payment big deal. She also obviously has supportive parents. What the hell expenses does she really have to worry about that are enough of a consideration NOT to take this trip?

Exactly! When I was 21, I got a scholarship to spend the summer at a university in Europe. I had a job offer, but I decided that if I had to make a choice, I'd take the trip. Fortunately, my employer thought it would be a great experience and gave me the time off (unpaid).

Meanwhile, my parents never traveled. I offered to take them to Europe to meet our relatives and my brother offered to pay their plane fare. They refused -- too much money. My brother invited them to visit him in Japan -- they refused. My aunt and uncle invited them to go on a cruise with them. They refused.

So now they're in their late 80s and they can't do anything. But they followed Suze's life plan -- $300,000 cash on hand, 5 combined pensions, no debt and their own home plus two rental properties. And they have longterm care insurance.

I guess us kids will be able to travel all we want in a few years ...

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

n/m

Edited by Patsy Stoned, May 30, 2012 @ 1:07 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I'm very offended that Suze would use her program to go on a rant about how essential life insurance is for all of us to have (term life) without ever disclosing that she is a paid spokesperson for an insurance company! (Can't remember which one, I tune out when she starts screeching at people in the commercial's "audience").

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

If you're single and nobody relies on your income and/or assets for their care, why spend the money? That's assuming you have enough cash on hand or other assets to cover the burial/cremation costs and a funeral, if necessary. (Given that funerals are for the living, many might not consider it necessary.)

What's the old rule from school: absolutes such as always or never are generally incorrect -

Saw a few minutes of her OWN program OnDemand the other day. Felt like she did that to really push her products. At least the CNBC program limits the constant book promotions, although sometimes obvious advertising is preferable to the subliminal. If they could only limit her constant psychobabble -

JMHO.

Edited by gazerguy, Jul 8, 2012 @ 12:36 AM.

Jessie Q

Jessie Q

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Last night Suze gave the go ahead to a woman, who was underwater in her current home, to buy another home, then stop payments on her current home so she could qualify for a shortsale. I know that this is now common practice, but what do people here think about the ethics of Suze's advice? I kept thinking about the people in the woman's neighborhood who would (possibly) suffer from the devaluation of their property. It just seems so dishonest, especially since the woman had enough money for a downpayment on another house (and Suze didn't even address whether the woman had any business buying versus renting, etc.). It left a bad taste in my mouth (maybe a few more facts about the situation would have helped).

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I kept thinking about the people in the woman's neighborhood who would (possibly) suffer from the devaluation of their property.

There were already three condos in her development in foreclosure, so it seems she was suffering the devaluation of her own property. I guess I thought short sale was only when you couldn't afford to pay your mortgage, not when you just didn't want to anymore. I'm underwater too, but I made the decision to buy this house and I can afford the payments - I can't imagine doing something like that. Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people do it - but like you, Jessie, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

ETA: Claudia (the jewelry addict) did NOT look 60! Her haircut was hideous (I thought maybe it was cancer she had and she was growing it back). But her skin was so young looking, I was jealous!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:22 AM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I guess I thought short sale was only when you couldn't afford to pay your mortgage, not when you just didn't want to anymore

ITA. Suze didn't even moralize (her specialty with some callers) about it. Ethics? I thought the advice was very UNethical and encourages people to have a lack of responsibility when they can afford to be responsible.

I didn't like her shutting down the rapper's plan to take off the summer (only $3000) to give her career more of a chance. Suze is NOT the person you ask if you want to do something creative, even just for 3 months, at a young age, and for very little money. (She's also not the one to ask if you want a dog, just FYI).

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

1) I would have loved to know what the jewelry addict did for a living...that she could have spent all that money on jewelry and STILL have so much saved and not be that in distress financially.

2) As for her looks...I hope to look better than that when I'm 60. She had an illness an she smokes so may that's it. I wouldn't say she looked good for he age.

3) Yes, for all the moralizing that Suze does -- and the high horse she sits on ....she sure didn't mind telling someone who CAN pay their mortgage NOT to. I get that paying more for a house than the home price will ever rebound to is a losing proposition financially, and I get that banks SHOULD work with people who CAN'T pay...but some mention that it's a moral issue as well would have been welcome.

4) I watch the show at work, so could see the end of the call from the woman whose husband was not working, but she wanted to buy a Porshe (I think). From the little bit I heard of that...was she crazy....or COULD they have afforded it. I had to walk away right when Suze said..."wait a minute, your husband's not working and you want to buy a sports car?" And without hesitation the woman GLEEFULLY said, "Yes, that's right?"

Edited by selhars, Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:20 AM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

The husband also was thinking of retiring rather than going back to work, and the couple had expenses that were $11,000 over what was being brought in. The couple had 1.8 million in savings - which I suppose is why she thought she could afford a $100,000 car. But with the husband not working and twice as much money going out as coming in, she was denied, because they were (and would continue to be) draining their savings just to live.

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I was kind of horrified at the way Suze talked at, not to, and certainly not with, the sixty-year-old jewelry "addict."

The numbers went by too fast for me to be sure, but it looked as if she'd been working all her life, was still employed and also still had around $800,000 in savings. So the poor woman had a heart attack a few years ago and decided when she survived it to splurge on stuff she's denied herself, because she's felt the brush of mortality and knows she can't take it with her. She went overboard for a year, but otherwise seemed to have reined the spending in. She still had her good income. Financially, there wasn't much wrong with her situation, even if she had spent $58,000 on jewelry. She needed to spend with more discretion, going forward, but so what?

Suze offering her unqualified psychoanalysis was what upset me. Yes, it was shocking and wrong that the woman took up smoking a couple of years ago, even after the heart attack and bypass surgery. She definitely needed some help to stop, but Suze accusing her of attempting to kill herself so she didn't have to feel guilty or anxious about spending a lot of money on jewelry was way out of line, imo. People get self-destructive and choose unhealthy behaviors for all kinds of reasons. Severe depression is also a common side effect of bypass surgery, and can be triggered months or years after the treatment. Shouting and lecturing someone in a bad state of mind is not the way to help them.

Suze loves the "post hoc, ergo proctor hoc" fallacy of reasoning - the belief that because one thing happens after another thing, the first thing must have caused the second thing. I thought she was wrong and I thought the poor woman looked both shell-shocked and pissed off by the end of her rant.

Edited by Ketzel, Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:18 PM.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

She went overboard for a year

Wasn't if four years? Suze showed the first year was like $10,000 worth of jewelry, the next year was much more, then down again and then up again.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I was a little turned-off by Suze's smug speech to us ignorant folks about life insurance "When will you get it?!". Ideally, based on Suze's point-of-view, folks wouldn't need life insurance once their children are grown because things should be in order for the most part. However, I don't know many people who, when someone dies, ready have the funds available for burial/funeral costs and final expenses.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Wasn't if four years? Suze showed the first year was like $10,000 worth of jewelry, the next year was much more, then down again and then up again.

My memory is that she spent a lot on jewelry for a couple of years following her surgery, but not an "addict"-sized amount, given her savings and income - around $12,000 - $15,000. Then she spent a whole lot in one year, and then down again. If you remember differently, I defer to you; my memory isn't the best on these things. But even so, she didn't seem to be ragingly out of control. And I don't think she was subconsciously committing suicide so she could buy jewelry and still kick the bucket before the money ran out completely.

SassySenior

SassySenior

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Couldn't quite get into the olympics last night, so switched on Suze. Oh my... what a bunch! Four out of four "CIAI" "DENIED". At least they all got their few minutes of on-air fame. BTW, "boyfriend", if you think after one year You really ought to be buying your GF a $15,000 diamond, you should be calling either Dr. Drew or Dr. Phil for some psychological advice (not that I think either of them are more than just psychobabble). Turn on QVC and buy her a Diamonique Faux diamond ring. Pac-Man arcade machine, trip to Egypt, and cheap set of golf clubs... all RUBBISH!

However, the segment with Kristen & Chuck was the worst couple segment I've ever seen! They got the insurance settlement and must have thought there was an extra zero in the payment amount. HELLLLLLO.... it was $207,000 not $2,007,000. Poor Chuck really did need some significant dental work, with all the mouth contortions he was doing. Rather arrogant, dismissive attitude toward his wife, I thought. When Suze blew through the expenditures and review of their current lifestyle, they were still in bad shape! Then Kirsten reached over and put her hand on Chuck's thigh. I almost yelled out loud! Was she gonna squeeze his nuggets or give him a massage? GROSS!! They better sell the house and move (Chuck says, "I told you so") as Suze recommends. Either that or look for a big cardboard box for your future residence. Even as I type this, I'm still shaking my head!

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

I really, REALLY want some of the painkillers that Chuck must be on if he thinks that $207,000. settlement is going to go as far as he thinks it will. And I questioned the need for 30-40 thousand dollar cars for people who were just getting by BEFORE Ms. Suze said her piece. They were the most detached couple! They seemed like they hadn't a clue about their finances, so I was stumped at the end of the show when Suze said Chuck knew what was going on. Didn't he talk about buying the cars, doing the house repairs and spending the nest egg? What did I miss?