3-31: 2004.04.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

401 replies to this topic

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:13 PM

Hopefully TPTB have learned their lesson. If you want someone to win a singing competition, then have them sings songs that require singing, not dancing with a few words strewn about.

Fantasia was wretched, as usual. Her dress was gross, wear a support bra. The shoutout to Jennifer was stupid, it would have been you sweetheart so be glad Jen is gone. Her vocals were terrible, she has no breath control when she is trying to dance too. I did think her hair was cute for once.

George was ok. His breathing was very good.

LaToya is beeyootifull. She looked awesome, but every time she danced the cameramen showed the drummer. Stupid cameramen, and stupid spotlights. When are they going to fix that? Her vocals were ok, she was breathy too.

John is such a cutie. He did what he does every week.

Jasmine suuuuuuuucked. She was flat or sharp or off key or out of tune or whatever means bad musically the entire song. I thought one of the lines was "helpless in your eyes" but the way she sang it was "helpless in your eyarms."

Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit that I liked Diana's dress. I thought it was cute. She was ok, also breathy.

Overally, this was worse than Manilow but not as bad as Elton. (I still miss JPL! *sniff*)

I don't remember which contestant said it (George I think), but it was nice to hear them say (paraphrasing) "Meeting Elton John and then Gloria Estefan...". Ha! Must be Barry didn't make much of an impression.

scarletsmith

scarletsmith

Fanatic

OMG, that just blew. The nitty-gritty rundown:
  • Fantasia: The strutting Macy Gray Fantasia is back. I'm not a big fan of Fantasia and I especially dislike that version of her personality. I suspect she'll be back in the bottom three again, and she may even come up on the short end of the stick this week.
  • George: "Amateurish" was a perfectly apt description. That's three bad performances in a row. Not a good thing.
  • LaToya: WTF was up with that attempted dance sequence toward the end? OMG, talk about JPL having no rhythm...that was dreadful. Not that the singing was much better; it was the most by-the-numbers rote karaoke performance of the night.
  • John: That was easily the best performance he's given in weeks; it was the most I've seen him connect with the music, and he looked more comfortable up there than ever. And wow, were the judges attempting some reverse psychology. Will it work? Not for me. I've gotten through about once every five attempts so far.
  • Jasmine: That was half a good performance. The first half was excellent. But what happened to her pitch on the second half? I'm serious, that was horrible. I cringed so hard it hurt.
  • Diana: She's got that second-trimester belly showing again; who told her that the shredded skin-tight look was good for her? Let's not discuss the singing; Carmen did this song better last season, for {deity}'s sake. I don't think she hit a single note on pitch until the end section, which finally sounded good. It's not a coincidence that the last section was where she finally cut loose and sounded like a real human instead of R2Di2. I think she'll be safe, but she really needs to step up her game if she wants to avoid the bottom three.
Top Three: John (but just barely), Diana, LaToya.
Bottom Three: Fantasia, George, Jasmine.
Would like to see go: Fantasia.
Will likely go: George, alas.

anthonyludwig

anthonyludwig

Channel Surfer

Overall Overview: Kinda lackluster because the contestants could not just stand statue-like at the mic and wail on Whitney Houston songs (cough Jennifer cough). Diana won the show, and Fantasia showed herself as the complete performer, and should do well the week getting Hudson votes.

Winner: Diana, who stood out on a night when most did not, and was the only contestant to successfully combine dancing and wailing.

Loser: John, but it hardly matters, it will be interesting to see if he goes down to the backlash vote tomorrow.

Bottom Trio: Jasmine, Diana, and John

Homeward Bound: Jasmine

Top Duo: Fantasia and Huff

Winner: Fantasia

GraceTX

GraceTX

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

Agree that this was the worst night ever. Did anyone else notice when the camera was on JPL in the audience during Diana's performance and he was just standing there (everyone else was dancing or at least clapping or something) looking at the camera, not even paying attention to Diana? Stupid famewhore.

I saw it and was going to point it out, but thought I'd read the comments posted so far. I thought I hated JPL before, but just standing there, staring at the camera while everyone danced and clapped to Diana's performance was completely disrespectful. My hatred for him knows no limits.

I tried voting for Diana, but it's been busy. She was my favorite tonight. Heck, I even liked the little trill thing she did. Buy hey, I'm Spanish so that's right up my alley.

AgentX

AgentX

Fanatic

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Manilow night, Estefan night shows up. That was some awful stuff. Not only awful, but boring. Tonight was the reason television comes with a mute button.

Fantasia: I'm not a fan of hers and tonight just solidifies my position. Her vocals were weak, and her "This is for you Jennifer" got on my nerves to a high degree. She looked like she was having fun, but I sure as hell wasn't. 3/10

George: I was bored to tears. This was a complete non-entity, and George's vocals didn't help matters at all. This makes 3 bad weeks for the Huff, can he survive another week? 4/10

LaToya: This song had what? 10 words? It was sung well, but didn't wow me in any way shape or form, but compared to the other two performances it was good. 6/10

John: I don't know what Paula was on about making his Grandmother proud, maybe if Grams was hard of hearing, but otherwise...Awful 1/10

Jasmine: Another boring ballad. But in comparison with singers from the rest of the night it wasn't awful. I liked it - but I'm a fan of hers. I like the tone of her voice
6/10

Diana: I really liked this performance, and thought it was the best of the night. I liked the dress too, it was a lone bright spot admist a sea of meh. 7.5/10

Personal Bottom Three: Fantasia, Geroge, JOHN
Probable Bottom Three: Diana, George, JOHN

Steve Crime

Steve Crime

Channel Surfer

Not a good night for Idol. I think the problem was that the band and arrangements were almost note for note the same as the original hits. As a result, we end up with something that's a little off because Gloria Estefan was missing. It came off as karaoke-ish.

Fantasia - Good, but probably her weakest so far. Still, her weakest is better than some contestants' best.

George - Brought his game back up. He'll be safe this week.

LaToya - 2nd best of the night. She really knows how to work with a band.

John - The usual, meaning terrible. He's a nice kid, but yeesh. He should have been gone about a month ago.

Jasmine - I was expecting more, because her voice is in the same tonal range as Gloria Estefan's. A little flat, but good for her.

Diana - Best of the night. Someone needs to fire the sound guy or something, though, because I kept hearing one of the band members singing, and he was flatter than Shelly Duvall.

Edited by Steve Crime, Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:16 PM.

Sadie0209

Sadie0209

Couch Potato

I just had to share my mother's comments regarding John Stevens during tonight's show (keep in mind that she is 60-ish, very conservative, a "moral Christian" type):

"You know, that kid needs to stop hanging around his grandma so much and go out and get laid."

I laughed so hard, I almost peed my pants!

Baralai

Baralai

Couch Potato

1. Fantasia--The performance was fantastic, but the singing wasn't her best. Obviously, Latin pop just isn't for her. But, "this is for you, Jennifer" and "I love you, Jennifer" has pretty much guaranteed my power voting for her! Okay, maybe it was a ploy to get Jen fans to vote her, but it worked on me. Of course, it helps that she's among the ones I'm routing for to win.

2. George--Song choice did him in. Course, he could be singing, "I blowtorch puppies" and I'd still love him. Anyway, I do agree with Simon though.

3. Latoya--Like Fantasia, great performance, but not her best vocally. Simon said it best.

4. John--Whoa, that was weak and mostly out of tune. But, he looked so cute. However, what Simon said was spot on, John is a class act, not to mention tough as nails, and that's no small feat for a 16 year old. But, when Simon was mentioning "ex-contestents", who was he referring to?

5. Jasmine--Bleagh. Wretched.

6. Diana---Oh! Loved it! Loved her outfit, her performance, her voice. Excellent job. She was better than Carmen(who sang this song last year), that's for sure! Best of the night.

Course I can't help but think that Jennifer would have wiped the floor with most of the performers tonight. Heh.

Bottom 2:

Jasmine(eliminated)
John(just a little longer, sweetie, you'll make it to big band night, if they have one)

Edited by Baralai, Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:21 PM.

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:15 PM

Hrm well I don't agree with anyone else tonight but that happens sometimes. I will agree though that this was just a awful train wreck of a show in general. Whoever came up with this idea should be summarily beaten with a large heavy object. My poor ears. Perhaps thats why I liked Diana and Jasmine so much, by the time the show got to that point my ears had taken so much abuse.

Fantasia-boring and lifeless she wasn't raspy but she was just going through the motions up there.

George-Vocally he sounded great, not much raspiness except on the highest notes. His dancing was criminal though.

Latoya-Boring and lifeless though she at least had more feeling than Fantasia. Her voice was just wrong for the song and she sounded trapped in the song.

John-The first 10 seconds I wondered if he could pull it off then he spectacularly crashed and burned. That was just cringe worthy. Awful awful. It was a poor decision on his part to do a song meant for a group of singers in the first place but even so he lacked the power to hold even a fairly unspectacular note. The boy is just not meant to be a lead singer. I'm ok with the use of conga's though, nearly every Gloria song has them, that was the last thing wrong with the song and hearing the Miami Sound Machine rip it up was really the only big highlight of the night for me.

Jasmine-Now that she has ditched that fucking flower she looks much more mature and actually quite hot. Have to remind myself that she is in fact under age. She's also done something with her hair and I like it much better than how it was in the early rounds.

Diana-I thought she justified her placing last week tonight. She sang very very well and actually was vibing off the music and was decidely unrobotic tonight. The rapping part was kinda scary but the glory note that went up a few octaves was impressive. I think she is one of the contestants with the most potential to be huge in a few years once she has matured. Her voice is pretty astonishing she just lacks the emotional connection which I think she actually had tonight. My clear favorite of the night but I was not blown away, just impressed.

Ranking:Diana, Jasmine, George, Latoya, Fantasia, and John Stevens bringing up the rear.

Gabria13

Gabria13

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:15 PM

Gloria Estefan, huh? I never had anything against her. Seems like a decent enough person. Glad she said upfront she wasn’t there to judge. It’s cool – they have the Miami Sound Machine performing with the kids.

Man, that Fantasia can perform! Her shouting out to Jennifer ‘tho? Boy, I don’t know. I hope that doesn’t hurt her. I’ve decided I’d really like to see her win this thing. I’ve never visited the Knoll, but I can’t help but feeling that Randy & Simon’s anti-pimping was a reaction to last weeks shocker.

It bums me out to say I can’t think of a thing to say about George’s performance.

What the hell was Simon doing to Paula under the table?

That was the most personality LaToya’s shown ever. She was having a hard time singing & dancing ‘tho. She sounded out of breath. It would be right for the final 2 to be her and Fantasia.

For the love of all the Gods, please send Jon home tomorrow. I can’t take it anymore. The judge’s comments made me feel as if they were telling America that it’s OK to let him go home.

Hee! My hubby was just caught the Seacrest AT&T Wireless commercial and said, “That guy’s a dick even when he’s trying to be cool”. Ahh! That’s why I married him.

Jasmine looks really good tonight, but I still don’t get the sense she understands…that she feels what she’s singing. Maybe they should raise the age limit for this competition.

Predictable song choice from Diana. And a predictable performance.

mekaleka

mekaleka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:16 PM

Am I evil if I think Carmen did a better job with "Turn the Beat Around" than Diana did?

After Diana was finished, I actually did say "Carmen did it better", immediately followed by a "did I really just say that?"

I am with others who are confused by the positive reaction by the judges to Jasmine's performance. It didn't sound like she hit one note correctly to me. I thought she was horrible. I also thought Diana was horrible. Yet, she got pretty good feedback, too. Maybe I'm not hearing what the judges are hearing. I so wanted Gloria just walk out at some point.

Tonight was awful, but I did kind of like Latoya's performance. I can't really say anything about John because I muted the tv about two seconds into his turn. I will say that if he had done an upbeat song and danced too? I would be voting for him right now.

Edited by mekaleka, Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:17 PM.

wghedges

wghedges

Couch Potato

• Interests:Scrapbooking, rubber stamping, knitting, pop culture, celebrity gossip, journalism, literature, cats, volunteer work

This was, by far, the worst theme night ever. Props to whoever observed last week that "salsa night" would translate into Miami Sound Machine for AI.

I actually have always been a fan of Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine. Yeah, I can be a bit cheesy. But anyway, my point is, I love most of the songs, but they are written specifically for Gloria. Few people can carry them off. These contestants are not among those few.

I knew they were all going to suck, even the talented singers (George, LaToya, Fantasia, and to a lesser extent Diana), before the singing even began. They just can't do Gloria's songs. No contestant has a vocal style that meshes well with Gloria's songs. It's just not good. This was a suck-ass theme night - NOT because Gloria's music is bad, but because her music does not allow the contestants to showcase what they're good at. So...yeah.

Again, it was a terrible choice for a theme night. Nobody's vocal talents were highlighted by the songs. Because of this, I'm "grading" on a curve.

Fantasia Barrino :: Get On Your Feet
She put a lot of energy into it, as usual, and did a good job for what she had to work with. Still, not very good vocally. 7 out of 10

George Huff :: Live for Loving You
I thought he did a really good job, considering. I guess by combining the "Latin" moves and the Dip, he came up with...the Salsa Dip? [rimshot] Oooh, bad pun. 7.5 out of 10.

LaToya London: Rhythm Is Gonna Get Ya
Eh. I liked the sexy dancing and the personality she put into it, but vocally? Not so hot. Again, it's not that LaToya is a bad singer, by any means - just that her style is not at all compatible with this type of music. She was trying to "diva" (for lack of a better term) out the notes, which didn't sound at all good with the style of music. 7 out of 10.

John Stevens :: Music of My Heart
God, he sucks ass. Randy was generous in saying that three of John's notes were in tune. I didn't hear one note that was on key. However, even though I hate John, if he'd sung "Conga," I probably would have voted for him for 3 hours. 1.5 out of 10.

Jasmine Trias :: Here We Are
I thought she sounded even worse than John tonight. "Pleasant?" What crack are the judges smoking? She was terribly off-key, and not even in a laid-back way like John. Rather, she was LOUD and off-key. I have an ear infection, and my ear hurts like hell as it is. Thanks for making it 20 times worse, Jasmine. 1 out of 10.

Diana DeGarmo :: Turn the Beat Around
I thought she did a good job and was the best of the night (which isn't saying much). She actually showed a few semi-sparks of personality. And damn if she didn't nail that tough pseudo-rapping part after the second verse, which always trips me and my friends up when we try to sing along to the song on the radio. Plus, that cool tongue-rolling thing was pretty sexy. Or maybe I'm just jealous because I can't do that. *pout* Anyway, thumbs up for the Di-Bot. 8 out of 10.

Three Best: Diana, LaToya, George
Three Worst: Jasmine, John, Fantasia
America's Bottom Three: Diana, Jasmine, John (with John going...please, God)

Stagehand

Stagehand

Couch Potato

I'm sure there's a flat joke in the fact that they had John's face as a soda flavor during the pimpmercial but I'll leave the recapping to the professionals.

Fantasia: much as I admire her for always being herself and bringing her own flavor no matter what, sometimes it's more important to know how to read a room. And she just doesn't. Take the criticism and deal with the fact that - as evidenced by her and your lack of votes - not everybody's loving you and Jennifer. This would have been a good week to play ball. You're not so safe sweetie.

George: has made very bad song choices lately. Though I'm not sure if was a right one for him in this weeks theme.

LaToya: still bores me. I know she's a great singer but she just doesn't move me.

John: it's time to let him go. There is no one left to oust in his place. I'm gonna miss him but he isn't getting better. There is no song they could write to fit him. Ever. I'll buy the DVD to have something to remember him by but I can't help anyone else get trashed in place of what just isn't going to change.

Jasmine: is improving. She's emoting. Not talking constantly about Hawaii and showing more range. Though she still overreaches and needs to learn control. I think she's done good enough this and last week to deserve more time here.

Diana: made me remember why I voted for her in the semi-finals. Still a bit perky and pageant-y but the best of the night in my opinion. Her voice was back on par and she showed some better personality. Her dancing isn't great but neither is anyone else's.

That's about all I can say. I can't get too worked up over what was definately the worst night yet.

Sukey Tawdry

Sukey Tawdry

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:17 PM

Um, er, well…now I suppose I have a newfound appreciation for Gloria Estefan's talents. Yeesh, worst night ever. LaToya was the best only because she was basically competent. Totally predictable—I knew she was going to come out in a hot red dress with chandelier earrings and slicked hair, and I could have predicted her whole routine, but I guess she did the best with a lame night. Fantasia was "jiggly" bot this week--girl I love you but buy a bra--and I thought it was her worst performance vocally by far—first time I was "meh" about her this whole season. But she looked beautiful so there's that. I have a feeling she'll get reamed for sucking up to Jennifer fans. The first time posting this I forgot about George entirely, so I guess that sums up my feeling about his performance--I had a feeling that song wouldn't sound good in his range, and it really didn't. Utter mehness. John Stevens was so bad I literally had to cover my ears. Jasmine defined pitchy for us—towards the end she wasn't hitting one good note in two. When Diana got to the staccato lyrics in her song, I was covering my eyes and my ears…and that dress. Oh my goodness, chubby 16-year-old thigh is not something I need to be looking at. Overall…WTF? Stop with these ridiculously narrow theme nights. JUST STOP.

Edited by Sukey Tawdry, Apr 27, 2004 @ 9:18 PM.

parsleysage

parsleysage

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:17 PM

I liked DiBot tonite--thought she did well (warning: disclaimer to follow:) CONSIDERING THE NIGHT. I actually picked up the phone for the first time in 3 years of watching to vote for her. After last week's travesty, I felt it to be my duty. And her dress was cute. Its not her fault she's still got her baby fat, Simon. And just think--she can sub as a carwash for the Ford Focus.

How can Jasmine have such a nice tone to her voice and then totally cream 4 or 5 notes in each performance? She did some crap with those notes that I've never heard b4. At one note, she sounded like she just gargled with sulphuric acid.

I think Fantasia might be gone after tonight. All of a sudden, like 6 months into the show, Simon realizes that her voice is like a 1942 black and white cartoon of Steamboat Willie??

Great speech to Teen Martin, Simon. "Ah, John, every one likes you, and no, you shouldn't feel at all guilty that Mohammed Atta drove an airplane into the Twin Towers to avoid hearing you sing anymore. Don't need to feel guilty, it's not like it was your fault..."

Girlysogroovy

Girlysogroovy

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:18 PM

None of these songs actually showcase a voice, so it is all about performance.

Fantashia: I could listen to her sing all the colors in Crayola’s box of 96 crayons. LOVE HER. She owned “Get On Your Feet”. Owned it, I tell ya! Loved the bondage shoes, too. Divalicious in 31 fantastic flavors.

Georgie Girl: Still…HATE. HIM. Can he flutter his eyelashes anymore? Dancing for the sake of dancing looks stupid, so stop it. By the way, look at me like that again, and I’ll dial 911 faster than you can say American Idol Barbie.

LaToya: Great voice, good song, boring performance. How can she do such a physical performance and still lose my attention? This is like an entry in the Miss America talent competition.

John: You look like a lit match. I have changed my position on this kid: I want him to win. He sucks like a Hoover, but the American Idol Corp. deserves to get what they put in the finals and praised during the first few shows. So…please vote for John…IN MASSIVE AMOUNTS. Don’t worry about phone bills. Your parents won’t mind. Honest.

Jasmine: Pretty girl, pretty voice, pretty ballad, pretty boring. Next…

Diana: LOVE HER. Yeah!!! Good song choice for her! Loved the dress. And Diana, thank you for growing more for us to love. Voluptuous women rule!

After last week, Fantasia and LaToya could sing “La Cucaracha” out their asses, and they would still make it to next week, so they are safe. I would give up chocolate, my favorite silky pillow, and possibly one of my children, if Georgie Girl would flutter right out of the finals, but it will probably come down between Diana and Jasmine, with, sadly, my Diana going. :::sigh:::

bea

bea

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:19 PM

That theme was horrible- but I guess it showed us who the top three will be: LaToya, Jasmine and George.

I almost felt bad for John, it was like he knew this week is going to be his last and was even worse than usual.

Paula seemed really drunk/high tonight. Random. Maybe her injury has something to do with that.

I also loved Simon's reaction to tour news. Classic. And his 'offer' to take Diana dress shopping? Great!

The band were fantastic though, I hope Big Band night rolls around soon.

jetmatt

jetmatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:20 PM

I'll be kind, since I teach elementary kids.
FANTASIA: pitch problems due to too much movinggggggggggg B-
GEORGE: had fun with it, a treat to watch A-
LA TOYA: out of breath due to dancing A-
JOHNNY RED: lost the note and words, sang sharp the whole song
too much vibrato due to nerves

dratty

dratty

YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Big ol' crapfest. Just what TPTB deserve.

Before I forget, anyone with TiVo has GOT to play the part where they're doing Gloria's life and get a good look at Mama Estefan's hair. Fabulous!!!

Ok so now we're celebrating making sandwiches at minimum wage? To Latin music? I smell phone calls.

Yeah Seacrest, Simon HAS been to those dress shops before.....when he was gettin you all fixed up. Shut up, Ryan.

oh the performers---

Fantasia - I agreed with Cowell. First time I heard her helium speaking voice come thru. And the "this is for Jennifer"? Uh, I think not. Be interesting to see where she is

Huff - Much dip from a big dip. Sorry, I'm done with him. I'm sure he wasn't bad but I can't stand looking at him any more.

LaToya - Best of the bunch but (tm/QT) so what.

teenmartin - Y'know what? I'm gonna vote for him. I hate him and I'm gonna vote for him. Know why? Cuz he was nowhere near as bad as dumbedy dawg made him out to be. Shut up Randy. Sorry but I got perfect pitch and he didn't nearly put me in pain like he usually does. Don't believe me? Replay it. He was nowhere as out of tune as....

Hawaii 16-0 - Damn that was horrible. The whole second half was flat. And Randy gives her a relative tongue bath. Shut up Randy.

r2Di2 - Move to Latina singer mode. If you're gonna sing Turn the Beat Around then hit the high note. Yeah you know the one. the one you DIDN'T SING. How're them hips doin? Damn!!!!!

My bottom three - George, Teenmartin, Hawaii 16-0
Who goes home - Fantaisia cuz she was first. Good a guess as any with this crew.

ebonygoddess

ebonygoddess

Fanatic

John: Please make him stop! He was flat the whole song. Simon was very classy in his comments though.

Yeah, Teen Martin can't sing a lick but you gotta give it to him. Better men than him have crumbled under less pressure. Simon was right about John and Latin music but I'll go Simon one better: John and/or Diana are about as Latin as mayonaise. Bleech!

I can’t wait to here some of the crazy stories Shack comes up with about how Paula hurt her thumb. Hee!

She stuck it up Simon's ass. That's my vote.

Simon is totally right. Gloria Estefan (whom I like, btw) must be more talented technically than I've ever given her credit for, because that shit? Was painful.

Word because frankly I thought everyone sucked. I'm surprised that Fantasia and LaToya didn't do one of her ballads because I think those would've suited their voices better but I guess they were trying to step out of the box.

Can we vote the Sound Machine through to next week? See, all of you who complained about the Funk Brothers drowning out the singers didn't realize how good you had it. We could hear them fine tonight and I don't know if Clorox can manufacture enough bleach to keep up with the demand this evening's "performances" will cause.

polishprincess

polishprincess

Just Tuned In

Wow, what a horrible night. Other than Latoya, they all sounded bad. I did like Simon's shout out to the audience to shut up and let him talk.

SQgal86

SQgal86

Loyal Viewer

Everyone gave a good effort but with most of the performances I just couldn't help thinking about how Gloria is just so much better. The attempts at spicing up the performances with Latin dancing were painful to watch.

It was nice to see that they let up on poor John a little tonight.

I actually really liked Jasmine tonight which doesn't happen all that often. Even more suprising for me was that I thought Diana did the best out of all the contestants. I have had no love for her the past couple of weeks, but she did her thing tonight. "Turn the beat around" is one of my favorite Gloria songs, and its not that easy to sing, but Diana did her proud.

IMO, the best performers of the night were The Miami Sound Machine. They kicked ass!

smijca

smijca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:21 PM

*Sniffle* Does anybody have a tissue?

Tonight was just---SIGH.

Whether or not Gloria Estefan's music is your cup of tea, I must say this: her music is infused with emotion, energy, and above all passion. Tonight, only two of these performers inspired and enlightened---and neither was named Fantasia, LaToya, John, or Jasmine.

The rhythm was supposed to get you, but instead, it ran off and cowered under Simon Cowell's naughty hand (yeah, Paula, so they now call it tickling? WHAT-EVER). My Latin music was maimed and and left unrecognizable and for that---

I am sad.

Fantasia: Honey, your voice (along with your mangoes) was just bouncing everywhere. For once (and I am ashamed to admit this) Randy was right on target. You gave it your best shot but the performance as a whole ended up being mediocre and laughable.

Georgie Porgie: I heart you, George. You knew what this night was all about---you connected with the music and the audience. Yeah, your voice was off at times, but you felt the music and I did too. You coaxed the rhythm away from Paula's dress and into my heart. Oh, and it's nice to know that Jennifer may be gone but her spirit lives on as her crazy wandering eyes have found a new home.

LaToya: Maybe my expectations were too high. I thought "here's a chance for my girl to show them her moves and her vocal range...she's gonna blow them away." Alas, it was not meant to be. You were so fucking controlled. The "rhythm" hates you and your controlling ways. Shame on you.

Red-Headed Angel-Child: I've said it once and I'll say it again: you're bland, you have no personality and there was no way that the rhythm was getting anywhere near you. But a sliver of hope clawed its way into my heart. I thought "okay, he chose one of Gloria's mediocre songs and, truth be told, it should suit him" and I actually thought that you'd be able to pull it off. How wrong I was. The rhythm fell into a comatose state as you sang in your bland, lifeless way and you made me cry. Yes, you pasty Caucasian, you made me cry. A nice boy you may be, but at that point I wanted to do nothing more than to get the rhythm away from your clutches. Oh, but you're such a nice boy.

Jasmine: You tried, I give you that much. You fooled the rhythm into thinking that all was well again. But then you hollered and screeched and the rhythm scampered off never to be seen again until----

Diana "I still say you're Hispanic" DeGarmo. Girl. You. F-ing. ROCK. See, this is what the night was supposed to be about. Good singing, good dancing and honest to goodness rhythm. Yeah, I wasn't too fond of your wardrobe tonight but that doesn't matter because you showed America what Latin night is supposed to be about. You made Gloria smile a smile that did not involve white, brilliant polite teeth. The rhythm and I thank you profusely, my dear.

Randy: You hit the nail on the head. And I am scared.
"Tickle Me" Paula: Blah, giggle, blah. Don't you dare blame it on the pain-killers.
Simon: Keep your hand away from Paula's skirt. Oh, and I lurve you.

Thank goodness this nightmare is over.

To TPTB: Don't you ever do this again. EVER

Edited: Because it's good to close tags. Oh, and just to say that TPTB SUCK. That is all.

Edited by smijca, Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:25 PM.

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

Another reason that GE night sucks is that now all of her songs are rolling around in my head and I don't like her. Get out of my head Gloria!

It was funny when the camera would pan to her and she had that plastic smile on her face. It looked like someone very well may have been blowtorching puppies up there.

Who dresses Jasmine? Is it Carmen? That black top was cute, and it would have worked, but she stuck a white shirt under it, maybe to be modest. But then it just looked all sorts of stupid.

Count me in among those who liked Diana's trill. It was cute, and worked with the song.

Enough with the single singer theme nights. I want some variety in my AI.

GraceTX

GraceTX

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

I am with others who are confused by the positive reaction by the judges to Jasmine's performance. It didn't sound like she hit one note correctly to me. I thought she was horrible.

I'm with you. The was one part in the middle that I thought, "Wow! That sounds pretty good." Then she went back to her usual sucky self and my moment of like Jasmine passed.

meowing

meowing

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

Back to the drawing board, American Idol. Some retooling will definitely need to be done if there is to be an AI4. There should not be a show like tonight when there are only 6 left. I really missed Jennifer Hudson tonight.

Suggestions:

No more theme shows
No more guest judges
Increase the age limit
As some have said, "one phone, one vote."

Simon definitely needs to stop with the references such as "Stan Laurel," "Jay Leno," etc. It's not really adding anything to the criticism.

jetmatt

jetmatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

Post was eaten before I could finish.
Johnny Red : see previous post D
JASMINE: pitch problems B-
DIBOT: not bad, will return dress to the car wash later B

Hubby says that Simon is dead on with his comments.

majjie pie

majjie pie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:24 PM

Fantasia: I thought this performance was her worse of the competition so far. She just sounded off. I didn't think her shout outs to Jennifer were in very good taste with other former contestants in the audience either (Matt, JPL), nor did I think the shout outs belonged in her song, but whateva. It was a good stage performance though, visually speaking.

George: The Huff and Puff is slipping. First couple weeks he seemed unstoppable, now all of his performances are becoming sub par. This latest Huff crap piece was a little better than last week, but thats not saying much. I haven't felt the Huff love since Elton night.

Latoya: I'm not a LaToya fan, but I liked this performance. Girl can move. She actually wasn't boring to me tonight, yay!

John: No. Just no. Get off my TV. Please. Music of My Heart? Really? For salsa night? I mean, I know its John and all, and boy can't dance, but really? Music of My Heart? I would have prefered a sucky Crocodile Rock version 2.0. Having said all that, I really liked Simon's comments to him. The kid is only 16, and he really is handling all this backlash and hate very, very well. I give Simon props for his very acurate assement of John. It's not the kids fault that his fans continually vote dispite the suck.

Jasmine: Blah, Blah, Flower Power, Blah. This was meh to the mehist degree. I origionally though DiBot was going this week, but after this meh Aloha Kitty performance, my bet is on her taking the walk of shame.

Diana: Once again, I'm no fan of this girl, but I thought she rocked the house. Well, maybe she didn't completely rock the house (the performance wasn't that great), but when you compared it to the other crap induced songs tonight, I thought she was by far the best.

Bottom three: John, Jasmine, George with Aloha Kitty going byebye.

bprincess340

bprincess340

Channel Surfer

Tonight was horrible. Everyone was terrible.

Fantasia has this chicken dance she kept doing. I'm not sure if anyone else knows what I'm talking about, but she struts around like a chicken and moves her neck out and back. I do a killer impression. I thought she blew.

George. I will vote for him until my fingers fall off. But he can't do salsa. I don't feel so bad though, considering NOONE tonight could do salsa. Or Gloria or whatever the hell it was tonight.

Latoya. Hers was my favorite performance of the night, but it wasn't good by any means. She might get a few of my votes, too.

John. Please just let the poor kid go home. He sings horribly every week, and the judges are always horrible to the guy. Tonight they were actually nice to an extent. I think they feel bad and just want us to let the poor kiddo go.

Jasmine. Boring.

Diana. I really hate her. She is so fake. When she talks you can't see her top teeth and that skeeves me out. It's what makes her look like Howdy Doody. Also the dress was hideous. I'm not sure that would look good on a slim person, but she is definately NOT slim.

Horrible, horrible night.

goldibabi

goldibabi

Channel Surfer

Well, that was an interesting night...

And by interesting, I mean, of course, the musical equivalent of dog poo.

Fantasia: Sucked.
George: Sucked a little more.
Latoya: Sucked a little less.
John: Sucked with the power of a thousand Hoovers.
Jasmine: Sucked quite a bit.
Diana: Sucked not quite so much.