The Most Toys: Trekkies Who Shop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

430 replies to this topic

Isaboe

Isaboe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 6:35 PM

I found the neatest thing the other day. It's those magnetic scenes that you can stick on the fridge of the old ST stuff! They had scenes of the bridge and the various planets they've been on. Then you got the 5 main characters to play with. Unfortunately, they were sold out. I wonder if a comic store would have them.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:27 PM

Geez, I thought I was hardcore when I bought the DS9 Companion, Voyager Companion, DS9's Unity and Prophesy & Change, and New Frontier's Gods Above, Stone & Anvil, and No Limits anthology for myself this Christmas.

GoldfishGirl42

GoldfishGirl42

Fanatic

• Interests:Red Sox, Patriots, sci-fi, history, literature, crime shows (but not CSI:Miami)

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:02 PM

My 2nd cousins gave us a TOS scene calendar for Christmas, and while the months themselves were nothing special, it had a complete structural diagram of the NCC-1701 in the middle...very cool.

Edited by GoldfishGirl42, Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:04 PM.

acsenray

acsenray

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 2:42 PM

During my vacation I stopped in at Starbase Columbus in Columbus, Ohio. I hadn't been there in 10 years, but it's a fantastic little place, crammed full of all kinds of goodies. It's run by two adorable baby-boomer women, who (in my mind) were probably at the very first Star Trek convention wearing pointed ears and home made uniforms. Great place.

I bought a little diorama of Uhura in her "Mirror, Mirror" outfit standing in front of sliding doors that bear the Earth Empire sword-through-the-globe symbol.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:04 PM

Hi, acsenray! That's really cool. I've never heard of that place. Hmmm...

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:31 PM

Well, I broke down and ordered some of the Mini-Mates (little figures slightly about twice the size of Lego people). It was the Kirk with Tribbles that did it for me. For a nice picture, check out this website and click Tribbles on the left-hand menu.

But it seems like I'm too little, too late. I think they've been discontinued (Art Asylum put them out), but I can't be sure. Does anyone know one way or the other? Thanks.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:19 PM

I think the Fan Club still offers them, or some of them.

nqllisi

nqllisi

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:50 AM

That site is hilarious. Did you see the Star Trek Challenge?

I think I need to get some of those.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:13 AM

I'm planning on pre-ordering ST VI, The Undiscovered Country from Amazon sometime soon. Would anyone like a share the love email?

dbrugg

dbrugg

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:21 AM

I picked up the Mini-Mates (Kirk/Spock set, McCoy/Gorn set, Kirk with Tribbles) from the Fan Club site. They had the full series (which includes Khan and a Mugato), but that's sold out.

Having been away from cons for a while, I was just wondering if there were other places I should check out. The Art Asylum site no longer has any pictures of them, which I why I think they've been discontinued. Too bad, series 2 supposedly has a Mirror Kirk.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

• Interests:Jigsaw puzzles, foreign languages (real and fake), reading, making costumes, popcorn, pirates, road trips

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:18 AM

I've been trying to find the Mirror Kirk and the green-shirt Kirk. I've got the others--that I know of!

Now that Roddenberry.com's store is shut down, anyone know where I can get costume patterns?

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:18 AM

akg, how much would it be if I did?

The green shirt Kirk is the Tribble one.

Edited by nelamm, Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:21 AM.

starri

starri

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:38 AM

anyone know where I can get costume patterns?

eBay, or maybe try the Official Fan Club Store. I don't know if they do patterns, but they do have costumes.

thingamajig

thingamajig

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

anyone know where I can get costume patterns?

This site has instructions, but I'm not sure if it has actual patterns for sale.

Edited by thingamajig, Jan 13, 2004 @ 10:57 AM.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

• Interests:Jigsaw puzzles, foreign languages (real and fake), reading, making costumes, popcorn, pirates, road trips

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

Ah nuts. This is the trouble I ran into trying to find a TOS pattern. Roddenberry.com had the original patterns from the show but Paramount shut them down. Maybe I'll ask the Uniform Guide guy. Thanks starri and thinga for trying!

PrettyButterfly

PrettyButterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:21 PM

I've found Next Gen dvd box sets going for half price in HMV at 44.99 and was really tempted, but seeing as how I still have 5 seasons of DS9 to buy, I had to pass. Why must dvds be so expensive?

thingamajig

thingamajig

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:54 PM

Why must dvds be so expensive?

I don't know. I got pissed about it all over again when I was browsing Amazon and saw that you can get the first 4 seasons of Buffy all together for the same price as a single season of any Trek show.

PrettyButterfly

PrettyButterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:03 PM

4 seasons of Buffy for 1 season of Trek? Seriously? How much is a full season over on your side of the pond?

I did just get my bursary through today, so I'm giving serious thought to getting S3 of DS9.

thingamajig

thingamajig

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

Buffy and Angel run about $40-50 a season, depending on where you get them. They're selling (on Amazon, at least) Buffy seasons 1-4 together for about $120. Whereas Season 1 of Voyager (yuck) is $90. For what, 16 episodes? That's criminal. Not that I'd ever buy VOY, but I want DS9, and it's way too expensive too.

Edited by thingamajig, Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:11 PM.

keckler

keckler

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:19 PM

Y'all are going to think I'm nuts, but I really wish they'd start releasing the ENT DVDs. I tape over my recap eps after a few weeks, and I'd now love to see how ridiculous they were in the first seasons to determine if it's now obvious how far they've come this season.

PrettyButterfly

PrettyButterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:13 PM

thinga thats still pretty cheap compared to UK prices. Its normally 84.99 for a full season of any trek. That would be $157! We're being ripped off.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:35 PM

Does anyone know of a good site to buy Star Trek action figures?

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:26 PM

From googling (can't vouch for any):

#1 Toy Store

Go figure.

And another.

This one looks fishy.

This one seems to be about them.

Edited by nelamm, Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:31 PM.

Dreamworks

Dreamworks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:35 PM

I just used amazon.com.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:53 PM

Yeah, but that last site...wow.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 8:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I always forget amazon has toys but they don't have a big Trek selection at the moment so I may have to explore other options.

OT/ click on the Jean-Luc tab on dbrugg's link. Hee.

dc3

dc3

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:42 PM

Try this site for Star Trek patterns. It's run by the guy who made the patterns for Lincoln Enterprises. He's pretty good, I've used them before. They're in the patterns section. The Star Trek section has pictures of the finished works.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:55 PM

Ooh! That site is awesome dc3! Thank you so much.

dc3

dc3

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 6:13 PM

You're welcome! Costuming is one of my hobbies, so I've had that link for ages. However, if by any chance you're working on an Enterprise uniform, a better link for the NX-01 patch is here.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:10 PM

That site is wicked! An Airwolf patch...hilarious!

I'm a costumer, too. I usually end up just making my own patterns. But the Trek completist in me is demanding authentic patterns for uniforms. Though I'm thinking of making that Troi dress with the crooked collar, for which I have seen no hint of a pattern, so I think I'll be back to DIY.