NFL Draft (ESPN)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

291 replies to this topic

OpalCat

OpalCat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Watching on ESPN and heard Berman say of Dion Jordan, "Well, he's got Dion and Jordan in his name, so...(fumbles to come up with some lame nickname, FAIL) you just know he's gonna be a star player."

Seriously?

That is your analysis? I realize you whole life doesn't revolve around the draft like Kiper and you don't spend hours fapping in your darkened qb cave like Gruden, but really, the only thing you care about any more is the NFL. You begged and pleaded for nearly 20 goddamn years to do play by play for an NFL game and thankfully got that door slammed in your face every goddamn time until this past season. What do you do all day at ESPN, roam the halls sexually harassing the interns?

F-U-C-K.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Mel Kiper is annoying the hell out of me. He should go out and get a real job. The only thing more useless than his job as ESPN "bracketologists."

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

you don't spend hours fapping in your darkened qb cave like Gruden

Top 10 visuals I did not need to have tonight - this is #2. I just imagine him with that raised eyebrow, some film, and EWWW man!

This was just a bad night for the draft to be. Too much other stuff on tv, too little intrigue, most of the top picks being at positions that aren't skill positions - yawn. I'm just refreshing the page to see the picks. I still don't get why fans pay money, travel, buy jerseys and show up to boo the commish. I mean I guess it is just tradition at this point. Seriously though, if I could charge people lots of money to show up and boo me at an event, I'd do it too. Clever way to shame the crowd into not booing - reference the Texas explosion and the Boston Marathon bombings and freedom. Smooth move, Rog.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

Clever way to shame the crowd into not booing - reference the Texas explosion and the Boston Marathon bombings and freedom. Smooth move, Rog.

And have a kid announce the Saints pick.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:26 PM

I love Mel Kiper, but damn does he ever take this stuff personally. He and Gruden really got into it over Russell Wilson's height; Kiper thinks Wilson won't make it in the NFL because he's about 5-10. Gruden disagreed, and there was a BIG DISCUSSION about it after the Seahawks took Wilson in the third round. Later, the Eagles drafted Nick Foles, who's 6-5, and Gruden's all, "Well, according to Mel this guy is going to be AWESOME since he's TALL!"

It's only one year later, but I think it's safe to say that BOY did Mel take a major L on this argument.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

Falcons trade up to draft Desmond Trufant, what does ESPN do? Talk about Trufant? Dissect the picks the Rams got in return? No, of course not. They talk about how Mathieu is the best CB in the draft and show a video package of him instead.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

They talk about how Mathieu is the best CB in the draft and show a video package of him instead.

It sounded like Gruden was Mathieu's agent. He was pimping him all night long.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:33 AM

Best take on the draft so far? Andy Levy, projecting the Jets would pick a point guard.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 4:58 AM

Falcons trade up to draft Desmond Trufant, what does ESPN do? Talk about Trufant? Dissect the picks the Rams got in return? No, of course not. They talk about how Mathieu is the best CB in the draft and show a video package of him instead.

This is why the NFL Network kicks ESPN's ass when it comes to coverage. They know about all the players, they'll talk about all the players, they don't pull punches (too much) when they think a bad pick has been made.

Mike Mayock showed again why he's the best draft analyst out there, and there was plenty of colour provided by Rich Eisen, Marshall Faulk and Michael Irvin. I particularly liked Irvin muttering in disgust when the Cowboys picked a 3rd round projected Center in the 1st. Heh.

And ESPN is just generally loathsome anyway.

immunodan

immunodan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

I tried to watch the NFL network broadcast of the draft because I find Chris Berman unbearable, but I found them to be even more unwatchable. Too many people around the table, talking over themselves and not making many salient points. But Berman had one awful pun that made me groan. After the Vikes had taken Sharrif Floyd with their first pick, he mentioned that they had taken the "Shariff", now they needed to take the deputy with their second pick.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

I missed the first part of the draft because I was at work. Did they explain why/how EJ Manuel was present in the green room? I admit I haven't been following the pre-draft coverage that closely, but I had never heard of this guy before. Geno Smith, Nassib, Barkley - yes. But who is EJ Manuel? Obviously he was one of the top 23 prospects since he was there?

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

I tried to watch the NFL network broadcast of the draft because I find Chris Berman unbearable, but I found them to be even more unwatchable. Too many people around the table, talking over themselves and not making many salient points.

I like that informality, and perhaps it just takes a little while to get used to them, but I find it easy to pick out who's talking about what, even when they're talking over one another (and really, that's mostly Michael Irvin, because he's a bit crazy and tends to ramble on to himself).

I'd prefer it if Deion Sanders was at the table instead of Marshall Faulk or Irvin, but he's down on the stage interviewing the draft picks. And perhaps wandering about in his Leon Sandcastle disguise.

I missed the first part of the draft because I was at work. Did they explain why/how EJ Manuel was present in the green room? I admit I haven't been following the pre-draft coverage that closely, but I had never heard of this guy before. Geno Smith, Nassib, Barkley - yes. But who is EJ Manuel? Obviously he was one of the top 23 prospects since he was there?

I don't think many people expected EJ Manuel to be the first QB taken, but he was being mentioned as being amongst the top 5 QBs in the draft. As to why he was there, I figure it's because other players who were invited said no, and they worked their way down the list.

Te'o wasn't there, Star Lotulelei wasn't there, I don't think Matt Barkley was there. There were a couple of other guys who they showed reacting to being picked with their families at home, so they weren't there either.

I have to say, if I was a football player entering the draft, there is no way I would sign up to go and sit in front of all of those cameras unless I was 100% sure I was going early in the first round. That looks like such a soul-crushing experience, sitting and watching other people get picked while you wait for your phone to ring, and the media is all focusing on your rising misery.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

EJ Manuel was the starting quarter back for Florida State. To be honest, I was surprised the Bills took him but I was even more surprised he was in the green room. He wasn't considered a first round pick by most people and was generally considered only the fourth or fifth best qb, although Jaws had him as his #3 qb, out of this weak qb crop. But who is in the green room is based on who the NFL invites to be there and which players want to go, and shouldn't be seen as an indicator of how talented a player is or isn't.

I like that informality, and perhaps it just takes a little while to get used to them, but I find it easy to pick out who's talking about what, even when they're talking over one another (and really, that's mostly Michael Irvin, because he's a bit crazy and tends to ramble on to himself

Overall, I like it too but Irvin must have been drunk or something by the end of the night. First he talks about how it wouldn't make sense for the Ravens to draft Te'o because he'd be Ray Lewis' backup and a few minutes later he starts getting really friendly with Steve Mariucchi and putting his arm around Mooch's shoulder.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:01 PM.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

EJ Manuel was the starting quarter back for Florida State. To be honest, I was surprised the Bills took him but I was even more surprised he was in the green room. He wasn't considered a first round pick by most people and was generally considered only the fourth or fifth best qb, although Jaws had him as his #3 qb, out of this weak qb crop. But who is in the green room is based on who the NFL invites to be there and which players want to go, and shouldn't be seen as an indicator of how talented a player is or isn't.

I know he was the starting QB for FSU, but I too was wondering why he was there. If he was considered behind Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib, and Matt Barkley, why the heck was he in the green room? Did he have some indication from the Bills ahead of time that he was going to be picked and that's why he agreed to be there? Because otherwise I don't see how he could have thought that he would be picked ahead of any of those three guys. Why would he want to hang out in the green room watching other people's names being called?

Not sure why the NFL would invite him either unless they had a strong inkling that he was going to be picked. Maybe the teams send the commish's office a list of players that they want to invite? Who knows.

Read an article about the NFL jerseys and how somebody presses on the names to the back of the #1 jerseys within 30 seconds. And for those guys that still want to hang out in the green room tonight - Smith, Lacy, etc. - if they choose to come out on stage, they'll only get an NFL cap and not a #2 (or #3!) jersey with their name on it. Ha!

Edited by greyhorse, Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:17 PM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

I'm shocked Leon Sandcastle fell out of the first round.

(I really enjoyed that ad. It's so Deion.)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

Meh, so what he had a strong combine? What had he done in college?

greyhorse - I think you're making more of it than is there. As has been mentioned before, a lot of the top prospects didn't want to go and the NFL needed people to be there. Thus the invite and Manuel accepted. He most likely had no idea the Bills would draft him, considering he thought "Philly really wanted him" and kept talking about it prior to the draft.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:49 PM.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

greyhorse - I think you're making more of it than is there. As has been mentioned before, a lot of the top prospects didn't want to go and the NFL needed people to be there. Thus the invite and Manuel accepted.

But even if a lot of top prospects didn't want to go, it doesn't mean that they won't be drafted in the first round. It just means they won't be there to walk out on stage if their name is called. Doesn't change the fact that Manuel went to the green room as likely the #4 or 5 QB in the draft with a strong possibility that he wouldn't be picked. Not sure why you would risk the humiliation.

Unless there are many many other players in the green room that we just don't see? Everything I've read sounds like there were only 20 or so guys in there.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

I watched NFL Network's coverage, and I appreciate that they stuck with the policy they adopted last year of not showing the players on their phone, preserving the suspense so we don't know who has been picked until Goodell announces it. That was especially nice this year, where we didn't already know half the top ten. But, just because they are not showing the call live, that doesn't mean they can't record it and air it a few minutes later while we're waiting for the next pick. When they don't know ahead of time that it's coming, receiving that phone call is a huge moment and I'd like to see their reaction, and that of their family at the table with them, when it rings. They do that with the guys who let a camera crew hang out with them at home (and Matt Barkley will be among that group) -- they film it, hold it until after the pick is announced, and then air it along with the pre-packaged game footage, stats and stuff. I wish they'd do the same with the guys in the room.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

For me it's not that big of a deal that we don't get to see player's reactions(although ESPN did show a few of them, and also showed Tavon Austin on the phone before the Rams' pick was officially made). I just assume there will be a lot of hugging and some crying and absolutely none of it has anything to do with whether or not they will be able to help the team that drafted them win games.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

This Yahoo article suggests that EJ Matthews knew the Bills wanted him. So thus the reason for him being there. Funny story too about how his phone accidentally rang for pick #3.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

Overall, I like it too but Irvin must have been drunk or something by the end of the night. First he talks about how it wouldn't make sense for the Ravens to draft Te'o because he'd be Ray Lewis' backup and a few minutes later he starts getting really friendly with Steve Mariucchi and putting his arm around Mooch's shoulder.

He does that stuff all the time. Especially getting handsy with whoever is sat next to him. At one point he appeared to be stroking Mooch's shoulder, and then picking at some lint on his jacket or something. Perhaps he is drunk, it would certainly explain why he's so wacky.

(I really enjoyed that ad. It's so Deion.)

Leon said, "If Leon don't go first, Leon don't go", so I assume he withdrew himself from the draft as soon as Fisher's name was called.

That ad campaign, and the stuff they've done around it, has been such fun. Deion has obviously enjoyed the hell out of it, and I love that they've all kept up the act, actually interviewing Leon Sandcastle as though he was a real player. Whoever came up with the idea deserves a promotion and a big raise.

I mean, listen to these lines:

"When did you get the news [that the Chiefs will pick you, number 1]"
"I got the news when I was born."

"Last time a team wrote Leon a check, the bank bounced."

"What impressed you about Andy Reid?"
".... I like his size."

Read an article about the NFL jerseys and how somebody presses on the names to the back of the #1 jerseys within 30 seconds. And for those guys that still want to hang out in the green room tonight - Smith, Lacy, etc. - if they choose to come out on stage, they'll only get an NFL cap and not a #2 (or #3!) jersey with their name on it. Ha!

You know, I was wondering about that. I thought that maybe they took educated guesses on who the first round picks would be, and had shirts made up for them from every team. Talk about waste! But I should have known it would be some hyper-efficient system. The whole thing is so smoothly done. Picked > hugs > cap > hug from Goodell > jersey > photos > Deion.

I watched NFL Network's coverage, and I appreciate that they stuck with the policy they adopted last year of not showing the players on their phone, preserving the suspense so we don't know who has been picked until Goodell announces it. That was especially nice this year, where we didn't already know half the top ten.

I like that too. But they did inadvertently spoil the first pick, because while they had the camera on Eric Fisher, you could see his phone screen light up as it rang. Still, can't blame them for that.

Edited by Danny Franks, Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:50 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

I like that too. But they did inadvertently spoil the first pick, because while they had the camera on Eric Fisher, you could see his phone screen light up as it rang. Still, can't blame them for that

Meh, at least the NFL Network tried to make it suspensful. On the other hand ESPN spoiled it at least eight hours earlier by saying that all indications were the Chiefs would take Fisher.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Meh, at least the NFL Network tried to make it suspensful. On the other hand ESPN spoiled it at least eight hours earlier by saying that all indications were the Chiefs would take Fisher.

I always get the feeling that ESPN approach their coverage trying to make themselves look as smart and in-the-know as possible, whereas the NFL Network brief is just to have fun and keep the audience entertained as well as informed.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:16 PM

Leon said, "If Leon don't go first, Leon don't go", so I assume he withdrew himself from the draft as soon as Fisher's name was called.

I suppose he can try baseball now.

Edited by xaxat, Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:17 PM.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

Doesn't change the fact that Manuel went to the green room as likely the #4 or 5 QB in the draft with a strong possibility that he wouldn't be picked. Not sure why you would risk the humiliation.

Except there wouldn't be any humiliation because there was no built up expectation. See, ESPN isn't interested in showing us guys waiting in the green room just for the hell of it. They think it's great TV to see a guy like Geno or Aaron Rodgers or Brady Quinn sit there in agony praying to get picked to end the humiliation. If there is no expectation that someone is getting picked then they won't be on camera thus they won't be humiliated.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 9:32 PM

I always get the feeling that ESPN approach their coverage trying to make themselves look as smart and in-the-know as possible, whereas the NFL Network brief is just to have fun and keep the audience entertained as well as informed.

Both of these networks are in the business for the same reason: To get ratings and make money. They just go about it different ways because each thinks theirs is the better way. Of course ESPN wants everyone to think they're smart and in the know.

The NFL wants people to think they're breaking news, too. They told guys like Adam Schefter not to tweet out the picks before Goodell announced them. It would make no sense for the NFL Network to spoil the picks ahead of time after they asked the reporters not to spoil them.

Personally I love the ESPN coverage of the draft. Well, except for Chris Berman, who I hate in every capacity. It's about the only time other than live sporting events that I can handle ESPN. I'm always fascinated by Mel Kiper Jr. and Jon Gruden. I think both are certifiably INSANE and I love it. I love when Kiper has a personal crisis because teams don't do what he wants them to do, and starts demanding that they draft the player he wants them to draft (anyone remember his ire over Brady Quinn falling?). I'm also mesmerized by his knowledge of college football players. NOBODY in the world knows college football players like Mel Kiper Jr.

And I like seeing the guys on the phones, seeing the reactions, the happiness and tears when they get drafted. If they're at home, seeing the excitement from their families and friends.

Edited by azazel, Apr 26, 2013 @ 9:33 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 11:35 PM

NOBODY in the world knows college football players like Mel Kiper Jr.

I saw that he was something like 4-32 with his picks in the first round. I mean I guess that's different than knowledge about college players in general, but I guess what good is his knowledge if it doesn't lead to any draft day insight...since that's pretty much all they trot him and his gigantic hair out for.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

Yeah, that's true lol. He sucks at predicting (and he's had some hugely bad predictions on how well a player will do) -- but the sheer wealth of knowledge he has about the players is what amazes me. A team could take an offensive tackle from Chattanooga State in the third round and Kiper can instantly trot out his 40 time, his wingspan and his intangibles.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 10:30 AM

Personally I love the ESPN coverage of the draft. Well, except for Chris Berman, who I hate in every capacity. It's about the only time other than live sporting events that I can handle ESPN. I'm always fascinated by Mel Kiper Jr. and Jon Gruden.

While I prefer the NFL Network's coverage I have to admit ESPN is doing a much better job this year. Last year all they talked about were the same dozen or so players taken in the first round instead of talking about the players who were actually being picked.

but the sheer wealth of knowledge he has about the players is what amazes me. A team could take an offensive tackle from Chattanooga State in the third round and Kiper can instantly trot out his 40 time, his wingspan and his intangibles

That's because Kiper studies them all year long and puts all the info into his various digests that he sells. That was his only source of income until ESPN came along and even now it pays his bills for the majority of the year until ESPN decides to dust him off for their NFL draft coverage.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

The team that made a computer that's better at Jeopardy than Ken Jennings should go and work on a computer robot version of Mel Kiper. Would anyone notice the difference.