NFL Draft (ESPN)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

291 replies to this topic

Luther Heggs

Luther Heggs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 12:40 PM

So what happened with Matt Millen? They came back from commercial, and he was there all by himself apologizing for offending people of Polish descent. Apparently he said something to Ron Jaworski earlier...Anybody catch it?

Dr Smith

Dr Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 1:09 PM

So what happened with Matt Millen?

Apparently he called Jaws a "Polack"
link

Edited by Dr Smith, Apr 24, 2010 @ 1:11 PM.

Luther Heggs

Luther Heggs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:05 PM

D'oh!

Edited by Luther Heggs, Apr 24, 2010 @ 3:06 PM.

MITerp

MITerp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 5:31 PM

(T)he teams each choose a player in the order set by the finish last season, worst to first, with some changes due to past or future trades. The players have no choice of who they go to and will begin negotiaions as to compensation after they are picked (drafted).

Don't tell that to John Elway or Eli Manning, among others. ;)

Littlelamb86

Littlelamb86

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

At first I was kind of mad about Ozzie trading his 1st round pick, but then looking at the Ravens draft as a whole: I should never doubt Ozzie. he really is the best GM in NFL. They basically get 2 first round picks in Cody and Kindle.

clairedawn

clairedawn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

Can't believe Mayock lost his voice and had to go off the air - isn't this like his biggest event of his year?

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

Yep, these three days are like his yearly Christmas, so to be forced off by losing his voice of all things....that's gotta be killing him. I did follow him on NFL.Com today, though.

Eh...Tebow. Yeah, he's a winner, but there were a thousand winning college football players who were complete NFL busts -- and honestly there's nothing wrong with that, just being a great college player.

I was glad to see Jamie Dukes mention Scott Frost when someone was doing that same exact spiel about Tebow. If Tebow makes it as a QB (or even another position if that doesn't work) it's not going to be because he has these great intangibles. Those only get you so far. Talent and skill level, combined with hard work and good fortune (health wise) will tell the tale on if he or anyone else on this draft makes it.

BTW, another Ravens fan who's very happy about that trade and the draft in general. Still need to find another corner, though.

I will focus on ESPN's coverage. I know they want to be everywhere and get the "breaking news!!" but I really hated that they showed the players with the hats on and celebrating before Goodell had made the official announcement. Because of that, I will watch tonight on NFL Network

That showing of players on the phone before they were picked is a staple of NFLN's coverage too. I kind of like it myself, but I understand why some wouldn't like it.

Some other thoughts on the coverage.

That Matt Millen apology was....awkward.

Anyone else sense that Gruden and Steve Young were not fans of each other?

In general, I thought the coverage today was much better on both networks than either of the first two days. Probably because it was more low key and less about the big show aspect of it. And no Berman.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:16 PM

Can't believe Mayock lost his voice and had to go off the air - isn't this like his biggest event of his year?

I love how people were telling Wally Pipp jokes, especially since Corey Chavous seems to be highly regarded. But Mayock took it all in stride online.

I love this new format, even as a west coaster. But then again, my work schedule allowed me to watch the red carpet and the start of the first round.

But Round 1 was done by the time Survivor started (or about 8:07).

I also like that I don't have to devote the entire weekend to draft-watching. Last year was too exhausting, like a wasted weekend.

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2010 @ 11:44 PM

That showing of players on the phone before they were picked is a staple of NFLN's coverage too. I kind of like it myself, but I understand why some wouldn't like it.

I agree. I wrote that statement before I watched NFLN's coverage. Of course, the day I watched, Rich Eisen gave an explanation of why they do it but I guess I just don't like it. Of course, in later rounds where they have no coverage of the players, I could care less because then they have more interviews.

BTW, another Ravens fan who's very happy about that trade and the draft in general. Still need to find another corner, though.

Nice to see all the Ravens fans in here and I agree with this post completely.

I love how people were telling Wally Pipp jokes, especially since Corey Chavous seems to be highly regarded. But Mayock took it all in stride online.

I found it interesting as well that he lost his voice and yes, Corey has been on my radar for awhile as a "draft expert". I remember some network did a story on him while he was still playing and they focused on his knowledge of the players eligible for the draft. He had tape and a big book so I definitely wasn't surprised to see him pop up on NFLN.

Of course, I still like Mayock better than Kiper and McShay so I hope he sticks around with NFLN.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

Day two of the draft wins the cable ratings competition for Friday.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2010 @ 4:53 AM

Those are phenominal numbers for the second and third rounds of the draft, on a Friday night no less and opposite TWO NBA playoff games on ESPN! It did help this year that this was a deep draft and there was considerable drama considering Jimmy Clausen was not drafted until midway through Round 2 and Colt McCoy was not drafted until midway in Round 3, but it also shows how big the NFL Draft has become.

As said, I think the day between Round 1 and Rounds 2-3 also played into this, as everyone had time after Round 1 to step back and see what their needs were. That had to play into why Rounds 2-3 played out as they did and made for compelling telvision.

As much as I thought the NFL made a mistake, it appears, even if unintentional it worked out for them very nicely and made for a much better draft overall.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Bumpity bump since we are on Draft Eve.

I've heard something about the first pick? Something about horseshoes and luck?

I remember back in the days when the draft was a surprise. I kinda miss it. I suppose we'll see what happens with Minnesota.

Since this is the first time I've been in this thread since the forum upgrade, it went to page one first which is from the 2004 draft so it was very amusing to read all of the speculation about Eli.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I want to see what happens with that one running back from...uh...I think Houston? I wish I could remember his name or precisely which team he played for. He had some serious moves. I know running backs are like Diadoras now though. They used to be the cool thing to have. But now nobody really cares.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

I'm so excited because this is the first time I'll be able to watch the draft on the NFL network, I keep hearing their coverage of it is far better than ESPN's.

Doom, I'm guessing you mean Trent Richardson who played for the University of Alabama and is considered the top rb in the draft. Most of the "experts" have him going to Cleveland at #4 but word is Tampa Bay, who has the #5 pick, really likes him too and may even trade with Minnessota to get the #3 pick so they could draft him.

I prefer the "old" two day format but with the insane amount of money ESPN shells out to the NFL partly for the rights to the draft it makes since they'd go after the huge ratings and start it on Thursday nights. Besides it's still the draft and I'd watch either way.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Hi bulldawgtownie - It actually isn't Trent Richardson. It's Charles Sims at Houston. But apparently he's just a Junior, and still at Houston. He looks like OJ out there, just flying.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

The first day of the draft was actually pretty exciting, with plenty of trades, a few WTF picks, of course Luck and RGIII topping all the great talent taken in the first round.

Of course, then there was Chris Berman. It just wouldn't be draft day without Berman's shrieking nonsensical rambling.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

So when the Jets are on the clock you would think Berman and company would talk about who they might take or what there needs are or whether they should trade down. Nope, none of the above, they decide that Tim Tebow and Mark Sanchez hasn't been discussed enough. We need to hear from Todd McCshay and Mel Kiper and what they think of the situation. I'm a Pats fan and hate the Jets but I wanted to hear their views on the Jets draft not Tim Tebow.

Edited by MV007, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

It's early but so far I have to say that overall I prefer ESPN's draft coverage over the NFL network's draft coverage. I find all the information they provide on the screen to be more visually appealing and it seems like they take less commercial breaks than the NFL network does. Of course the big drawbacks for ESPN is Chris Berman, and letting us know who a team will pick before the commish announces the pick. My dream team of analysts would be Mel Kiper or Todd Mcshay and John Gruden from ESPN and Michael Irvin, and Mike Mayock from the NFL network.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:10 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Of course the big drawbacks for ESPN is Chris Berman, and letting us know who a team will pick before the commish announces the pick.

This times a thousand. It seemed like every pick in the top 20 was told to us before it was announced. That was beyond annoying. There was very little drama thanks to Chirs Berman

I could do without Gruden. He's never met a player he didn't think was going to be a stud.

Edited by MV007, Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:30 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I could do without Gruden. He's never met a player he didn't think was going to be a stud

You just gotta know how to speak Gruden, praise is par for the course so just ignore that part, if he express any doubts at the end when he talks about a player that's the real stuff. So when he says that Tannyhill has good upside, blah, blah,blah, but is a risky pick. It's the "risky pick" that tells you what he really thinks.

According to some posters on a football site, ESPN and the NFLNetwork were told before not to mention picks before the Commish officially anounces them, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any reprecussions.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Adam Schefter was also tweeting picks long before Goodell even announced them. In one case -- the Lions and Steelers, I think, who made picks back-to-back very quickly late in the first round -- he tweeted the picks several minutes before they were revealed. Even Paul Allen (owner of the Seahawks) spoiled his team's picks on Twitter before they were announced.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

I watch on NFL Network, and I'm glad they decided not to show the players getting their phone calls this year so Gooddell's announcement is actually a surprise for most picks, but since they still have cameras in the green room I wish they showed footage of those calls after the fact; it's nice to see the players' reactions when they find out they've been picked.

Despite the lack of surprise, I enjoyed last year's coverage better; there is something a bit flat this time around, but I can't quite pinpoint what. Rich Eisen and Mike Mayock are doing most of the talking and I like both of them, so I'm not sure what isn't quite right.

I like Melissa Stark's interview questions better than Deion Sanders', so I'm glad she's the one with the players as they walk off stage today.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Adam Schefter was also tweeting picks long before Goodell even announced them. In one case -- the Lions and Steelers, I think, who made picks back-to-back very quickly late in the first round -- he tweeted the picks several minutes before they were revealed. Even Paul Allen (owner of the Seahawks) spoiled his team's picks on Twitter before they were announced.

It's okay for Schefter to spoil the picks on Twitter, as many other NFL reporters did. As he said, he's a reporter. His job is not to hold stuff back, but to report.

And if anybody is offended, they could easily unfollow him.

The TV broadcast is a whole other story, however. You can't unfollow the broadcast to not be spoiled.

It's early but so far I have to say that overall I prefer ESPN's draft coverage over the NFL network's draft coverage. I find all the information they provide on the screen to be more visually appealing and it seems like they take less commercial breaks than the NFL network does.

I'm the opposite. I just cannot stand ESPN, and I really enjoy Rich Eisen, Charles Davis, Mike Mayock and Brian Billick. Both networks seem to have the same number of commercials (I went back and forth, but stayed primarily on NFL Network, for the first two rounds. But perhaps i'm just used to Rich Eisen. The ESPN guys, other than Adam Schefter and perhaps Mort, do nothing for me.

Edited by nowandlater, Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I love Mel Kiper, but damn does he ever take this stuff personally. He and Gruden really got into it over Russell Wilson's height; Kiper thinks Wilson won't make it in the NFL because he's about 5-10. Gruden disagreed, and there was a BIG DISCUSSION about it after the Seahawks took Wilson in the third round. Later, the Eagles drafted Nick Foles, who's 6-5, and Gruden's all, "Well, according to Mel this guy is going to be AWESOME since he's TALL!"

Camera pans to Kiper ... and he looks like he's plotting Gruden's murder. Talk about awk-ward.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I like them using former players to announce the picks

I was suprised Colt's chose Marvin Harrison.

And the Brown's used some guy that was a player from back in the 50s I had never even heard of.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

The funniest part of the night was the game film of the huge offensive tackle who was annihilating DIII opponents who he probably had a hundred pound edge on.

And the Brown's used some guy that was a player from back in the 50s I had never even heard of.

I think that guy (who got a "Who's that?" reaction" and Barry Sanders were the only players who didn't get any boos.

ETA, the ESPN montage of guys hugging Goodell is pretty funny as well. In slow motion, it looks like Dontari Poe is this close to kissing him.

Edited by xaxat, Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:01 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I love Mel Kiper, but damn does he ever take this stuff personally

Well, this is his livelihood. It's not just a hobby for him or something he does for a couple of months out of the year. All year long he follows and scouts the various college players and has various services that people subscribe to for his knowledge. Most of us know him from ESPN but he does much more than being a talking head for someone.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I think that guy (who got a "Who's that?" reaction" and Barry Sanders were the only players who didn't get any boos.

Bring me the head of anyone who would boo Barry Sanders! I don't think Michael Strahan got any boos, either.

Rich Eisen cracked me up this morning when they put up a shot of a gushing fountain and he said, "Thanks guys, I haven't been to the bathroom in a long time, so please show more water shots."

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Well, this is his livelihood. It's not just a hobby for him or something he does for a couple of months out of the year.

I realize that. I just find it amusing that Kiper gets so ANGRY when teams refuse to do what he thought they would do and when the other analysts like Gruden refuse to bow to his knowledge. He's had meltdowns in the past as well, like when nobody wanted to draft Brady Quinn.

Here's the video of the Russell Wilson fight:

Kiper vs. Gruden

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

So EJ Manuel is the first QB gone, number 16 no less. I think it would have been fun for Buffalo to take Nassib but I find it interesting that Buffalo thinks their franchise QB is Manuel and not Smith.

It's not as much fun this year since Goodell isn't getting booed every time he opens his mouth, heh.