NFL Draft (ESPN)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

291 replies to this topic

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I enjoyed the NFL Network's coverage, but I did get tired of hearing about Manti Te'o.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

I enjoyed the NFL Network's coverage, but I did get tired of hearing about Manti Te'o.

No kidding. I started off thinking I might like it if my Ravens drafted him, but by the end of the first day I was sick of hearing his name. By the end of three days? Jeez.

It's not like the guy courts publicity, like certain other players, but the coverage of him was tiresome. And repetitive. I loved Mike Mayock's increasingly obvious irritation at the way they kept bringing the conversation back around to Te'o.

He even pointedly said at one point that he was tired of talking about the guy.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

I loved Mike Mayock's increasingly obvious irritation at the way they kept bringing the conversation back around to Te'o.

I love when Mike Mayock refuses to engage in, and in fact calls out, his colleagues' inane or overblown chatter, and he was on point all weekend. A little over halfway through day one, Rich declared they had entered the Te'o zone of the draft order and the others were all off and running with it. Fast forward several picks, they're still talking about it in between brief breaks to discuss the actual picks, and Rich says something like, "I know some people at home are tired of hearing about Manti Te'o--" when Mike cuts him off to say, "Some people at this table are tired of it."

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 3:14 PM

True. Mike Mayock was right there with me. LOL Rich kept saying the next team should take Te'o, Mayock would counter with another player and he was often right.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I did get tired of hearing about Manti Te'o.

Him and Geno.

immunodan

immunodan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

I enjoyed the NFL network coverage much better on the second day when they replaced the trio of Irvin, Mooch, and Faulk with Billick and Davis. The move to primetime has really helped the coverage because there is a so much better tempo about the proceedings. I remember when the first round would last 6 hours and teams would get 15 mins between picks. Imagine if the Teo story happened in that period and they had all that time to fill. <shudder>

Calvada

Calvada

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

Much preferred the Day 2/3 team on ESPN - I can't stand Chris Berman. I am perplexed as to why ESPN keeps putting him out there. I don't know of anyone who likes him or thinks he adds anything to the broadcast. I wish they would have Trey Wingo for the first round too. The ultimate was when Berman was lamenting the end of NFL Primetime because of what he could do with the names Ziggy and Barkevious. What a tool, yes, it's all about you and your schtick.

And good for Dave Robinson, trumping all the others bringing up Super Bowl titles with the fact that the Packers have 13 championships, more than any other franchise! As a Packers fan, I was hoping he would say something like he did. The history geek in me is always irked when people forget the decades of the NFL before the Super Bowls started.

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 9:37 AM

New York Jets Waive Tim Tebow.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

I tried with the NFL network but they literally flew out alex flanagan to Hawaii to stand outside Teo's home. I can't take you seriously when you stalk a second rd pick.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 11:01 AM

They keep talking about red shirting in the context of the NFL. Is that right? I'd never heard of red shirting having any meaning in the NFL. What's that about? Is that just a figurative way of saying they won't play the first season, or are there actual rules in place? I'm assuming the former, but they keep saying it.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

I love when Mike Mayock refuses to engage in, and in fact calls out, his colleagues' inane or overblown chatter, and he was on point all weekend. A little over halfway through day one, Rich declared they had entered the Te'o zone of the draft order and the others were all off and running with it. Fast forward several picks, they're still talking about it in between brief breaks to discuss the actual picks, and Rich says something like, "I know some people at home are tired of hearing about Manti Te'o--" when Mike cuts him off to say, "Some people at this table are tired of it."

He's got a great curmudgeonly aura when they start talking about inconsequential nonsense like this. But I've see him in some more lighthearted stuff as well (Rich Eisen's Combine 40 yard dash, for example) and he's a lot of fun. Just seems to have an old fashioned sense of propriety that's rare in sportscasters these days.

I tried with the NFL network but they literally flew out alex flanagan to Hawaii to stand outside Teo's home. I can't take you seriously when you stalk a second rd pick.

To be fair, she could have been standing in front of a green-screen in an LA studio, for all the information she got them on Te'o. It was a ridiculous waste of time. "He's somewhere on the island". No! Really?! Stop the presses!

I recall ESPN acting like this with Tebow, back when he was in Denver. Their NFL game day build up show was nothing but Tebow, all the damned time. Hopefully Te'o will just become quietly effective, and everyone will get bored and move on to something else. The guy deserves a break.

They keep talking about red shirting in the context of the NFL. Is that right? I'd never heard of red shirting having any meaning in the NFL. What's that about? Is that just a figurative way of saying they won't play the first season, or are there actual rules in place? I'm assuming the former, but they keep saying it.

Yeah, it's not an official designation in the NFL, but a lot of teams will draft a guy, knowing full well he won't play in his first year. They'll stash him on the Practice Squad or make up some injury and put him on IR for the year (like the Ravens did with Tommy Streeter last year). Either he's not ready to play, and they want to develop him behind the scenes, or he's legitimately injured but they think he can eventually get healthy and be effective (like Marcus Lattimore).

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

I'd hardly call it stalking considering:

1) Te'o invited her there.
2) It was at the beach, not his home.

And although he went in the second round Te'o was considered a first round pick and before the whole Catfish thing and then his terrible game vs Alabama, some people thought he would go in the top 15.

To be fair, she could have been standing in front of a green-screen in an LA studio, for all the information she got them on Te'o. It was a ridiculous waste of time. "He's somewhere on the island". No! Really?! Stop the presses!

Alex Flanagan is a pimp! She got a free trip to Hawaii, and she gets to write off everything she did during that trip as a business expense.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 1:54 PM

Alex Flanagan is a pimp! She got a free trip to Hawaii, and she gets to write off everything she did during that trip as a business expense.

Oh definitely. I'm sure that, every time she was on camera, she was just holding her cocktail out of shot, ready to start sunbathing again as soon as they went back to Rich Eisen. They'll probably redress the balance by having her reporting from Minnesota or Green Bay in January.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

I'd hardly call it stalking considering:

1) Te'o invited her there.
2) It was at the beach, not his home.

And although he went in the second round Te'o was considered a first round pick and before the whole Catfish thing and then his terrible game vs Alabama, some people thought he would go in the top 15.

I was using hyperbole. I wasn't really suggesting they were stalking Teo. But by your logic with Teo should they not have been camped out Marcus Lattimore's place? He was going to be a first rd pick too before he wasn't. And I'm being rhetorical here. I know full well why they were in hawaii. I just don't care about Manti Teo.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:22 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

. But by your logic with Teo should they not have been camped out Marcus Lattimore's place?

You missed my first point. Te'o invited them there. So by my logic, yes if Marcus Lattimore invited them to his place, they should feel free to camp out there.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

You missed my first point. Te'o invited them there. So by my logic, yes if Marcus Lattimore invited them to his place, they should feel free to camp out there.

I saw your point. But NFL network didn't have to accept his invitation. This is about NFL network shoving him down our throats. I don't like it. It's annoying to me. It's a giant waste of air time that could be used to get some insight on the many other players drafted. This isn't about them having the right to do these things. This is about whether they should choose to do it.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:57 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 4:04 PM

You're entitled to your opinion but I understand and agree with their decision to be there. Te'o came in second in the Heisman race and was the defensive captain of one of the top teams in college football last year. Covering him on draft day and talking about his pro prospects certainly made sense.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

You're entitled to your opinion but I understand and agree with their decision to be there. Te'o came in second in the Heisman race and was the defensive captain of one of the top teams in college football last year. Covering him on draft day and talking about his pro prospects certainly made sense.

Of course, I wouldn't suggest they ignore him. But lets be honest, they didn't go there because of his football prowess. Certainly he was a great player but they were there because he got catfished and his stock was volatile because of it.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

That's an assumption I don't agree with. Te'o wasn't a scrub no one had ever heard of until the news about his "girlfriend" got out. He was one of the top defensive players in the draft and played for one of the most covered college football teams in the nation. Yes, he got more coverage because of the catfish coverage but he would've still gotten coverage without it. They cover multiple top prospects every year for their draft day coverage.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 4:44 PM

For me at least, its diffciult to remember a time before we found out Teo was catfished. But I don't think he would have been given this amount of coverage without that story. And trust me, you don't have to tell me how great of a college player he was. He was one of the reasons why I defended Charlie Weis three years ago when I though Weiss was recruiting really well. But while, Teo was one of the most talked about prospects I still find it hard to believe that a network would send a crew to Hawaii to cover him without his off-the-field stuff. Of course this is assuming he would have been in Hawaii when had he not had the scandal he may have been in New York or his stock might not have fallen so far.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Apr 29, 2013 @ 4:46 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

In the lead up to the BCS Championship Game, Te'o was talked about as a potential top 10 pick in the draft. His stock had been rising since about six months before the previous draft (back when he and Vontaze Burfict were considered the top LBs in all of college football. Oh, how times change), and people were going a bit crazy talking about how complete a player he was. He was considered a top prospect, but not one that got many people excited to the point of writing blogs about him.

Then he got run over by Alabama's offensive line and running backs, and he instantly plummeted down the rankings, which was a story in itself. The catfish stuff was just piling embarrassment on embarrassment. But I think he's done well to rebuild his reputation, although it seems like a lot of commentators and analysts have since discovered flaws in his game that they couldn't see a year ago.

The sports media seems to get their hooks into these players. Tebow, Te'o, RGIII (to a lesser extent) and just pick them to pieces, every chance they get. But I think Te'o has the chance to put it behind him, because he seems like a fairly dull guy (in the best possible sense) who will just get on with the relatively unglamorous job of hitting people in San Diego. I think they'll have completely lost interest in Te'o by the time they're screaming about Tim Tebow not being named a starter in the CFL.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 3:35 PM

[Mike Mayock has] a great curmudgeonly aura when they start talking about inconsequential nonsense like this. But I've see him in some more lighthearted stuff as well (Rich Eisen's Combine 40 yard dash, for example) and he's a lot of fun. Just seems to have an old fashioned sense of propriety that's rare in sportscasters these days.

I agree. I like him a lot, especially during the draft. Did you see the part of day three coverage, probably during the sixth or seventh round, where they put up footage of Mayock "dancing" on set before the start of a pre-game show? He just sat there turning red with his hand over his face, having a chuckle at himself - while the other guys cracked up - and said, "My kids officially hate me now."