MLB on FOX, ESPN, etc.

• Please log in to reply

11208 replies to this topic

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 8:36 AM

The Astros drew a 0.0 Nielsen rating for their game on Monday

According to Nielsen Company ratings, the Astros’ Monday afternoon game against the Angels, aired on Comcast SportsNet Houston, received a 0.0 rating in the Houston area. In other words, not one of the 579 TV set-top meters set up by Nielsen in the city to measure local ratings was tuned to the game, a 9-1 Houston loss. Ratings-wise, the game lost to its own pregame show, which got a 0.2, or roughly 4,600 viewers. Of course, that doesn’t mean that the Astros didn’t have any viewers Monday; CSN Houston reaches 500,000 households in the area, so the odds are that at least one of those TVs was tuned to the game. But it’s still a bad sign for both the team and the network, which is currently in the midst of Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:04 AM

I don't know if that doesn't say as much about the increasing obsolescence of the Nielson box as the Sadstros. I mean, cable, computer and dish providers can pull numbers of real-time and time-shifted viewers exactly; all the set-tops are good for are people with antennae.

In other news, Billy Crystal joined the YES booth for an inning during the Yankees' home opener. He obliged us with a few play-calls in the voice of Phil Rizzuto. Took me back, I tells ya.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:55 PM

The Astros drew a 0.0 in a game late last season, too. It moved Keith Olbermann to remark, "If the Astros play a game and no one watches, do they still suck?"

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:59 PM

In other news, Billy Crystal joined the YES booth for an inning during the Yankees' home opener. He obliged us with a few play-calls in the voice of Phil Rizzuto. Took me back, I tells ya.

I loved his Bob Sheppard-style pronunciation of Yangervis Solarte.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 1:52 PM

The Astros show games on a cable network that only reaches 500,000 houses in a region of 7 million homes.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 10:36 AM

Can one of you kind folks post a link or point me to the new MLB forum on Previously?  I can't seem to locate it.  TIA.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 11:54 AM

Here it is. 

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 2:12 PM

Here it is. 

Aha!  "Off-Topic" was what I was looking for (but didn't know it!)

Thank you, xaxat.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:01 AM

Geez: it didn't take long for me to start yelling at the ESPN booth boys in last night's game. Their pearl-clutching over instant replay was just ridiculous. We've had replay for two freaking weeks. It's not the end of the world if they're still working the kinks out. It's absolutely no different than getting calls wrong without replay. And the objection to how much time it takes (which: no, certainly not more than a pitcher's preening on the hill or a batter adjusting his gloves every OCD minute) makes me laugh. The network and the stadium are both completely invested in a game taking longer rather than shorter. More ads, more concession spending. In other words: stfu, Kruk. 

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

So Joe Girardi is getting taken to task for benching Jeter a couple of games?  I love his response, "I'm not running a farewell tour."

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 2:23 PM

So Joe Girardi is getting taken to task for benching Jeter a couple of games?  I love his response, "I'm not running a farewell tour."

Ha, fantastic response.  As I've mentioned previously I'm not a fan of the "farewell tour" for players so good for Girardi for doing what I assume was right for his team.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 06:42 AM

Seinfeld night at a Brooklyn Cyclone's game?  Awesome.  I want a Keith Hernandez magic loogie bobblehead doll.

http://espn.go.com/n...feld-night-july

Edited by MyAimIsTrue, Yesterday, 06:43 AM.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Speaking of Girardi, I get a kick out of this article about the nicknames he gives to his players:

http://online.wsj.co...502003777545242

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 04:42 PM

MyAimIsTrue, I think the only one who wouldn't want a Keith Hernandez magic loogie bobblehead doll is Elaine Benes - unless she wanted something to clobber him with. ;-) Seriously, he was great on Seinfeld - and thought he should have gotten an Emmy nod for outstanding guest star in a comedy series.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

Also, good for Joe Girardi and glad that he's not cowing to this "farewell tour" stuff. I've always liked him as both a player and a manager because of his no-nonsense, straight-shooting style.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 05:18 PM

MyAimIsTrue, I think the only one who wouldn't want a Keith Hernandez magic loogie bobblehead doll is Elaine Benes - unless she wanted something to clobber him with. ;-) Seriously, he was great on Seinfeld - and thought he should have gotten an Emmy nod for outstanding guest star in a comedy series.

Out of the number of ballplayers who appeared on the show Keith was the best, though in terms of non-actor athletes on sitcoms I will say the top spot goes to Kevin McHale on "Cheers."  That dude was funny!

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Danny Tartabull, when he was on the Yankees, did a funny guest spot on a different episode of Seinfeld (I think the ep was from 1994). That was the one where everyone (including Tartabull) were cutting their cookies and candy bars apart with knives and forks. LOL

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 PM

Actually, I stand corrected. Danny Tartabull was in TWO Seinfeld episodes, both in the 1994-95 season: "The Chaperone" and the aforementioned "The Pledge Drive".

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Today, 10:05 AM

I remember a scene where Danny Tartabull was in the car with George Costanza and his facial expression told all.