MLB on FOX, ESPN, etc.

• Please log in to reply

11208 replies to this topic

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Those Rangers games are also only broadcasted on a local station; we out of town fans are out of luck. I'm spoiled, though, because every other game is shown on Fox Sports Southwest.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

Congratulations to Philip Humber for pitching a perfect game.

Even though I'm not sure about the final called third strike it was still exciting. How come I'd never heard of Philip Humber until last night?

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Even though I'm not sure about the final called third strike it was still exciting. How come I'd never heard of Philip Humber until last night?

He hasn't had a notable career until now. He's the White Sox fifth starter, at age 29 this is only his 2nd season as a starting pitcher. His career record's 12-10.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I'd like to see the guy pitch. Haven't had that opportunity yet.

You'll have to watch the Yankees again but I just saw that MLBN has the Yankees at Rangers game on Tuesday night and Darvish is scheduled to pitch. Man, am I seeing a lot of the Rangers so far this season--TBS is airing the Rangers at Tigers right now.

Even though I'm not sure about the final called third strike it was still exciting.

Heh, neither was the batter--the ump had to very emphatically tell him to run to first but I guess Ryan did go around. I only got to see the highlights but I loved how the Seattle crowd was really rooting for Humber as it got into the 8th and 9th. Makes sense, even if it isn't your team, who doesn't want to see a perfect game? Sadly, the first thing I wondered about was whether they were going to re-shoot the 2K commercial--I did see that someone tweeted that Humber was going to get to hang out with Kate Upton now.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Congrats to Humber on his perfect game. Though the last out was not clearcut, the batter shouldn't have swung at that low and outside pitch.

Then back to the Red Sox-Yankees for Fox and all hell had broken loose when the Yanks got into the woeful Red Sox relief corps. I was surprised and downright disheartened at what I had missed. From one very well pitched game in Seattle to a disaster in Boston, though Doubront pitched very well as the Boston starter.

Two Fox games of the week for the Red Sox so far this season, two badly played games. I could have done without the three shots of Swisher doing his "King of the Jungle" impersonation too! Thanks Fox!

Wonder what Tito will say tonight as the commentator for the ESPN Red Sox-Yankees game? Maybe it will be rained out and the Sox won't embarrass themselves again this weekend!

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I have to say that since he is so smart and so funny I'm starting to get a little crush on Terry Francona. I'd say it's a Silver Fox type crush but, you know, there's no silver up there. Heh.

So I'm sad that I don't get to watch the Yanks tonight which I was really looking forward to but I'm kinda loving this three hour Baseball Tonight. Although, for being an insider, Buster seems out of place.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Terry Francona is deserving of a crush. He's been nothing but a class act even after getting scapegoated and run out of town. I'm thrilled that he's doing so well on ESPN--he's a smart, funny, guy with a great baseball IQ and he's getting better every game.

Former Red Sox fan here, but the ownership lost me forever with what they did to Tito, so I'm pretty much rooting for the Rays and listening to Tito every game I can.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

Add me to the Tito crushers as I always found him nice looking.

Last night on MLBN they showed their top plays of the week and in a week where we had an inside the park homerun, a triple play, a suicide squeeze (even though the ball bounced off of the batter's knee) and a perfect game Facebook fans voted on one of the Hairston brothers (sorry, I forgot which one) throwing from his knees at third to get the runner out at first? Definitely a great play and perhaps the top play any other week but come on.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

Congratulations to Philip Humber for pitching a perfect game.

Yet another former Met who throws a no-hitter after leaving the team...

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Yay, I'm finally getting a chance to see Yu Darvish pitch. He's been pretty solid up until this point (Yankees have the bases loaded) and for my shallow comment of the day he's rather nice looking.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Terry Francona is deserving of a crush. He's been nothing but a class act even after getting scapegoated and run out of town. I'm thrilled that he's doing so well on ESPN--he's a smart, funny, guy with a great baseball IQ and he's getting better every game.

Former Red Sox fan here, but the ownership lost me forever with what they did to Tito, so I'm pretty much rooting for the Rays and listening to Tito every game I can.

I'm also enjoying Franconia bringing his baseball knowledge on ESPN. He hasn't been on ESPN for very long & he is already more enjoyable to listen to than Buster Olney, John Kruk, & (especially) Steve Bertiaume.

I should be very annoyed that ESPN is freaking out that "The Nation" is off to a 6-10 start & still hasn't recovered from choking last September & the KC Royals have lost 12 games in a row and they haven't gotten any attention from ESPN about it. But, I'm not because seeing the Red Sox losing & making fools of themselves while doing it makes it tolerable. They should be grateful that they're not the Royals.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

It's obviously to early to judge what kind of player Bryce Harper will be, but he clearly needs to stop cutting his own hair. . . in the dark, . . with kitchen shears. . . when he's drunk.

That's one awful haircut!

rippleintime

rippleintime

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

And he clearly wants everyone to see it!

I have to say, I absolutely love listening to Terry Francona's insight on Sunday Night Baseball. He's fantastic.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

I am watching an ESPN Sunday night game for the first time in several years just to hear Tito. Shulman and Hershiser aren't bad either but Francona is the star of this group, in my opinion.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

Mariano Rivera out? For the whole YEAR?

Maybe the Mayans were right?

As a Red Sox fan, I hate him, hate him. But damn I respect the guy. I bet he comes back next year for sure, instead of retiring.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

Did I hear correctly that Mo was shagging fly balls during BP when the injury occurred?

I've been in Virginia all week on a business trip so I watched a couple of games on MASN, first the O's and then the Nats. I loooove Gary Thorne so it was a thrill to hear him call the Orioles game and the Nats announcers were enjoyable too, and was that Ray Knight doing post game work?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

Did I hear correctly that Mo was shagging fly balls during BP when the injury occurred?

You did, he was. But he does this all the time and has for years; it's part of his warm-up routine. In fact, they often joke that Mo is the best centerfielder on the team.

I passed the stadium this morning on the way into work. The flags hadn't been put a half-mast. I sorta thing they oughta be. ::sad::

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

As a Red Sox fan, I hate him, hate him. But damn I respect the guy. I bet he comes back next year for sure, instead of retiring.

As a Red Sox fan, I hate the Yankees. But Rivera? I like him. A lot. So this injury bums me out. My admiration for him grew on Opening Day at Fenway in 2005. The Red Sox had won the World Series and they were opening against the Yankees. When they were introducing the Yankees and they got to him, the Fenway Park crowded cheered loudly in jest (because he was pitching in Game 4 of the ALCS) and God love him - he took off his hat and waved and smiled. And the crowd cheered louder, this time with respect and admiration. Even though he has shut the Sox down several times since then, I could never hate him like I should beingthathe'saYankeeandI'maRedSoxfan. :)

Hope he recovers and pitches again.

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Mariano Rivera says he's coming back. "Write it down in big letters", hee. Glad to see him so determined; rehab on an injury like that at his age could be hell. I would hate to see on of the great ones go out like that.

ebk57

ebk57

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

I've been in Virginia all week on a business trip so I watched a couple of games on MASN, first the O's and then the Nats. I loooove Gary Thorne so it was a thrill to hear him call the Orioles game and the Nats announcers were enjoyable too, and was that Ray Knight doing post game work?

That is, indeed, Ray Knight. I'm not too fond of the Nats broadcast team, but since I'm an Os fan, I only watch the Nats when the Os aren't playing. I also love Gary Thorne and all of the rotating color guys. Jim Palmer is my favorite.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

MLB Faces Antitrust Suit Regarding Its TV Blackout Policies

The analysis is from the Sports Law Blog, and while they seem skeptical of the lawsuits success, they do speculate that this may be the thing that causes MLB to change their stupid and antiquated blackout rules.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Unfortunately the firewall here at work is blocking access to the link because, heaven forbid, it's a "blog" so I'll have to read the story when I get home tonight. Sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

Turned on ESPN Sunday night baseball Cards-Dodgers about ten minutes into the game. Big game, defending world champions, and there's probably only maybe a little over half full stadium crowd. The cheap bleacher seats seem pretty full but there's a lot of other empty seats. If I were the new owners and just paid $2 billion for this franchise, I'd want a bigger crowd on a beautiful Sunday evening in LA against a good team. I think a lot of fans in LA are still staying away because the new owners are not upfront about their relationship with Frank McCourt and the parking lots.

Did the announcers say anything at the beginning of the broadcast about the eclipse that's supposed to be happening tonight? I think the peak of the eclipse is going to be around 6:30 PST. It'll be interesting to see what the effect is on the game. Or how many unsuspecting people sitting in the bleachers and on the first base side are going to be looking right into those dangerous burning sun rays.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

The announcers mentioned the eclipse and even showed a clip of it at one point. I could see a difference in the light during those minutes and it was cool to see it that way since I'm on the east coast where it was well into night time, so no eclipse here.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Very happy to hear that the O's are working on an extension for Adam Jones. If it wasn't for Hamilton, he would be the AL MVP so far,

Plus, I hope the O's can keep up the winning. If they can at least go .500 or a little better, I think they can make it in the Wild Card. It would be an amazing story for the Media if the Orioles became relevant again.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Will the Braves ever win again? At this rate it sure doesn't feel like it.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Terry Francona, stop texting pictures of yourself only wearing a towel to my 27-year-old girlfriend.

Big sigh. Really Terry?

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

Ha! That Francona story actually cracks me up. And hey, Aim, the Braves won! What a wacky year of baseball so far. I'm just hoping that Pedroia (aka La Luna) can survive the thumb injury and get better soon. The Sox finally cracked .500! What's next?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Since there's only three games on the schedule tonight, it'll be interesting to see how MLB Network pads Quick Pitch to a full hour tomorrow.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

At last! 51 years, 8,019 games, and Johann Santana finally throws the first no hitter in NY Met history! And for the last two innings, I was yelling at the guys on SNY, saying "Stop talking about it! You guys used to play, you know that's bad luck."