MLB on FOX, ESPN, etc.

• Please log in to reply

11207 replies to this topic

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:06 AM

But I've had days where the Rockies were playing in a Saturday Fox game but I got stuck with some other game (not even always a Giants game) and no way to watch my team. Sometimes the game shown in a market (if not the local team) doesn't even make much sense to me. Why should I care about the Mets/Phillies, for example, if there's an important divisional game between the Rockies/Dodgers that actually effects the local team?

Yes, I've experienced this as well. I don't have any sort of MLB package so the only time I can watch my team, the Braves, is if they're on a national network and there have been numerous occasions where the Braves have a Saturday game on Fox and since I live in the Orlando area I'd expect their game to air here since it makes sense geographically but it rarely happens.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

The funny thing, to me, about the blackout rules is that I know several people who were going to subscribe to MLB.tv until I explained the blackout rules would keep them from seeing their "local team" (or their favorite team anytime they played the local team) and that even if they didn't think they had a local team, MLB probably thinks they have anywhere from 1-5.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

I'm watching the Yankees' home opener that I DVRed earlier, and hearing the Imperial March during the team introductions when the opponent *isn't* the Red Sox? Just doesn't seem right. :P

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

News alert. Joe Buck is still a loathsome Yankee homer. Now back to your regularly scheduled game...

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

Not that I'm complaining but there wasn't a Fox game shown in my area yesterday. I wonder how that happened.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Not that I'm complaining but there wasn't a Fox game shown in my area yesterday. I wonder how that happened.

You were probably caught in an overlap of blackouts. MLB seems to be doing everything possible to drive away fans in some misguided attempt to 'earn' these sports networks money.

My state's one cable network did not come to an agreement with my team's network, so we get no games at all this year because MLB blacks out the games that would happen to wander by their channel (which was put in the lineup as a substitution.) Nor can I sign up for MLB.tv, because you see, the customer service agent explained patiently, you're in the black-out area. TOO BAD I CAN'T SEE THE GAMES. So MLB could be making $109 off of me, but to protect the greedy network trying to screw more money out of my cable network, they won't give us a waiver. And most of the state can't use satellites.

So I'm watching a lot of MLB's network, and I'm not impressed. They do this Quick Pitch thing. Instead of showing full games, there're 'exciting' snips of the games that the viewers are bounced around. They're just feeding and encouraging the perception that baseball is boring and it's not worth watching full games. Idiots.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:31 AM

Even if a Fox game is blacked out here for whatever reason the game that would have aired is listed in the TV schedule but there was nothing on Saturday but some other Fox programming that had nothing to do with baseball. Again, I'm not complaining because I find Fox to be the worst of the bunch but I'd never seen that happen before, at least not to my knowledge.

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

So I'm watching a lot of MLB's network, and I'm not impressed. They do this Quick Pitch thing. Instead of showing full games, there're 'exciting' snips of the games that the viewers are bounced around. They're just feeding and encouraging the perception that baseball is boring and it's not worth watching full games. Idiots.

Sounds like you're not watching all the much MLB Network. They're been showing a ton of games all month (part of their whole "30 games, 30 clubs, 30 days" schedule. When they're not doing that, they're on MLB Tonight which, as a Yankee fan, I think is great when the Yankees aren't playing. That's the whole point is to bounce around and show the best action. Ask folks who were watching the night of game 162 last year if that was boring. And if you're referring to Quick Pitch the show, that's their highlights wrap-up show at the end of each day which IMO is infinitely superior to what ESPN trots out on a nightly basis. MLBN can't show full games every night, especially because of ESPN and Fox. I don't get what you think is wrong with the whole MLBN concept. I think it's 1 of the best sports channels out there, although I'm probably biased being a big baseball fan.

Edited by NYC Dave, Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:07 AM.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

I think it's 1 of the best sports channels out there, although I'm probably biased being a big baseball fan.

MLB Network is the best--they totally get what a channel all about one sport should be. I'm a fan of a team out of my area and I'll find myself watching MLB Tonight all night just catching up with everything going on for all the games that night while hoping to see something on my own team. But I get so engrossed watching that it never bothers me if I have to wait awhile to see my team. My favorite pairing on the desk is Plesac and Reynolds. Some of the anchor teams aren't my favorites in terms of chemistry (sorry Ripken and Bowa) but everybody brings something really special (well, maybe not Eric Byrnes) especially because they hired really good head anchors--both Amsinger and Vasgersian do a great job reining in the the other guys on the desk. I miss Hazel Mae though--not really liking Rizzo yet.

I only watch Quick Pitch when my team won their game, it's too depressing otherwise. But it's a great hour to see the highlights of all the matchups from the day/night before.

The only show I haven't really taken to is Clubhouse Confidential. I'm sure there are loads of people it works for, just not me (yet).

Even if a Fox game is blacked out here for whatever reason the game that would have aired is listed in the TV schedule but there was nothing on Saturday but some other Fox programming that had nothing to do with baseball.

That is really strange. I'm in the NY area and I thought it would be blacked out, but it wasn't.

Edited by LT, Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:15 PM.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

I think it's 1 of the best sports channels out there, although I'm probably biased being a big baseball fan.

I am completely in love with MLBN, and not just because of Harold Reynolds. I've watched the network since its debut and while I feel they did a good job from the start they've gotten that much better over time. A couple of summers ago I thought about switching to AT&T's U-Verse but decided against it because they didn't carry MLBN. I like being able to see bits and pieces of each game and I almost always enjoy their original programming.

At this point I can't remember the last time I watched BBTN on ESPN.

Edited by MyAimIsTrue, Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

I am completely in love with MLBN, and not just because of Harold Reynolds.

Although who could blame you if it was because of HR? His initials double as stat-abbreviation for Home Run!

I miss Barry Larkin, who defected to ESPN. It feels like a demotion, although it probably pays better.

So now that Raul Ibanez plays for my team, and seems to like AL pitching just fine (unlike Albert Pujols - yet, anyway), I'm thinking of slogans for him (in case John Sterling comes up short). The best I have is Another Ribbie for Ibbie! But I don't see it catching on. More's the pity. ;)

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

I miss Barry Larkin, who defected to ESPN. It feels like a demotion, although it probably pays better.

I miss Larkin as well, and not just because he was eye candy. I wonder what the ESPN guys think about MLBN and vice versa.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Sounds like you're not watching all the much MLB Network. They're been showing a ton of games all month (part of their whole "30 games, 30 clubs, 30 days" schedule.

I keep flipping over every day, at least a couple times a day, I'm pretty sure I'm watching plenty of MLBN. They showed a bunch of games during spring training, so imagine my disappointment when the regular season began. Currently, according to the schedule, there are 6 games going on, and not one of them is on the network, including a possibly exciting matchup in the Phillies/Giants game. This reminds me of AMC not showing movies or The Soap Network not showing soaps. It loses the point of the network, IMO. Of course, it may also be a case of East Coast bias, since no one is expecting a game on in NYC or Boston.

When they're not doing that, they're on MLB Tonight which, as a Yankee fan, I think is great when the Yankees aren't playing. That's the whole point is to bounce around and show the best action.

To me, the attraction of baseball is its particular pace. If I want football, I'll watch football. I want to watch an entire game from start to finish. Call me crazy.

Ask folks who were watching the night of game 162 last year if that was boring.

I don't understand your point. If anything, I think you're proving my point. Every game matters, even game number four, and thus every inning, every at-bat, matters. Not just the highlights. There's been some discussion that the emphasis on these highlights is leading to injuries as players do ridiculous things to attract attention, rather than thinking of playing all 162 games.

Sorry, have to change the channel. Mike Sweeney is giving Albert Pujos hitting 'tips'.

NYC Dave

NYC Dave

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

I keep flipping over every day, at least a couple times a day, I'm pretty sure I'm watching plenty of MLBN. They showed a bunch of games during spring training, so imagine my disappointment when the regular season began. Currently, according to the schedule, there are 6 games going on, and not one of them is on the network, including a possibly exciting matchup in the Phillies/Giants game. This reminds me of AMC not showing movies or The Soap Network not showing soaps. It loses the point of the network, IMO. Of course, it may also be a case of East Coast bias, since no one is expecting a game on in NYC or Boston.

If you flip over to MLBN a lot, perhaps you saw one of the ELEVEN games they showed last week. By my count, there are 8 on the schedule this week. The reason MLBN can't show a game tonight (or Wednesdays) is because those nights belong to ESPN. Same with Saturday afternoons with Fox. I'm sure MLBN would love to be showing Halladay vs. Lincecum right now, but that's not an option. I don't get why you're comparing it to AMC not showing movies. What is MLBN showing right now?.. baseball. And lots of it, just not 1 game. Pretty sure that's the point of the network. There are still 5 games going on right now, so as much as I would like to see that Phillies-Giants game, that the Yankees are done for the evening, I'm more than happy to sit on MLB Tonight for the rest of the evening.

To me, the attraction of baseball is its particular pace. If I want football, I'll watch football. I want to watch an entire game from start to finish. Call me crazy.

That's not crazy, I get where you're coming from. But at the same time, the beauty of baseball is that you have a lot of games going on every night, so I hardly would consider it a bad thing that they're showing bits and pieces from each rather than staying on 1 game that could be a blowout.

I don't understand your point. If anything, I think you're proving my point. Every game matters, even game number four, and thus every inning, every at-bat, matters. Not just the highlights. There's been some discussion that the emphasis on these highlights is leading to injuries as players do ridiculous things to attract attention, rather than thinking of playing all 162 games.

First off, players doing ridiculous things to attraction attention.. you must be thinking of the NBA. That's where the showboating comes in because how many basketball highlights are nothing but dunks, regardless of their importance to the game. That's not an issue IMO, in baseball.

My point though is that there might be more than 1 interesting game going on. If the score is 9-1 in the 8th inning, those at-bats don't matter quite as much as the game that's tied 4-4 in the 9th (yes, I know a team can come back from any deficit, but still). If you want to watch complete games, that's what Extra Innings is for. But again, I fail to find MLBN's programming strategy flawed. Essentially, it's shows as many games are you're allowed (it's not an option to always be showing a game) and fill in the rest with MLB Tonight. Add to that the quality that the provide and it's a product I wouldn't want to be without.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

If I'm remembering correctly, scuttlebutt was that Larkin said it was him or Reynolds and MLBN stuck with Reynolds.

Edited by LT, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Whoa, if that's what happened it definitely changes my view of Larkin and not for the better.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Don't hold me to that--I could be remembering really wrong and I can't find anything when I google it so maybe it was just a strange dream. . . (although I really do remember it).

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Hooray to Jamie Moyer, the oldest geezer to get himself a ML win! My knees hurt just thinking about it.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

And he didn't back into it either, with a 7-6 win or something. He was terrific.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Jamie Moyer is only two years older than me, and that's not old!! Congratulations to him on a great accomplishment.

Two weeks into the season and I'm already sick of seeing the Yankees on every national broadcast airing in my area.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

I'm already sick of seeing the Yankees on every national broadcast airing in my area.

Me, too, and they're my team. Guh.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

Happy 100th birthday to Fenway Park, and also what would have been the 100th birthday of Tigers Stadium.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

Two weeks into the season and I'm already sick of seeing the Yankees on every national broadcast airing in my area.

And you know what this weekend is going to bring. . .

Thanks to MLBN, I had my own little double header last night watching an upcoming postseason matchup of Rangers at Tigers (man, the Rangers are SCARY) followed by the Indians at Mariners. Poor King Felix--pitched his little heart out to have League blow it in spectacular fashion. So angry at myself that I stayed awake to watch that sad ending (I'm not a fan of either of those two teams, but I wanted Hernandez to get that win).

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Thanks to MLBN, I had my own little double header last night watching an upcoming postseason matchup of Rangers at Tigers

Rangers vs. Tigers was the game I hoped to see last night. Darvish pitched, right? I thought for sure that would trump a Yankees broadcast locally.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Yes, he did. Once again, he was solid but not spectacular but when you have that kind of run support (10 runs on 19[!] hits) you're going to be fine and every game he's getting better. He seems to be fitting in with the rest of the team really well. I think it's great that the offense is giving him an opportunity to get his sea legs under him and he hasn't needed to be perfect from the start of the season.

I thought for sure that would trump a Yankees broadcast locally.

TEX/DET was the backup game but I'm lucky in that I will never see a Yankees game on MLBN since I'm in that viewing area so I always get the alternate matchup. My problem this weekend is that my team is the back up game both today and tomorrow but the main games aren't either NY team so I won't get to see my guys. . . hurts more knowing they're out there, but not for me to see.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I remember the media hysteria over Stephen Strasburg two years ago when all of a sudden every time he started the Nationals were THE game on TV. Part of me is glad that Darvish isn't under such an intense microscope as it has to be unnerving but the other (selfish?) part of me wishes he was because I'd like to see the guy pitch. Haven't had that opportunity yet.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Lots of good stuff from the Fenway 100 celebration. First, I thought the throwback unis looked great. Nice drape, looked cool (both temperature-wise and hip-wise), and flattered every figure. I wonder what kind of material it was? Not wool or flannel, certainly. Maybe some sort of poly-modal? (Even Girardi praised their comfort!) Second, great to see the old-timers. I find it interesting that the 'invite every player ever' edict didn't include front office staff. Skipping Theo Epstein seemed odd. Third, I couldn't have loved the new Fenway Fanfare music piece more. Yay.

In the YES booth, David Cone confessed (and from the sound of it, nobody else knew it) that Caroline Kennedy had called him up a couple of weeks ago to ask him to come to Central Park and play catch with her, serving as an unofficial pitching coach in anticipation of her throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. She called to cancel a week later after she found out that the first pitch wouldn't be from the mound, but from the front row, old-school style, and she thought she could manage a five foot toss without practice.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

I was at Fenway for the celebration yesterday. It was wonderful. The loudest cheers were for Terry Francona. I'm so happy he decided to attend. I wonder what he will say about it on Sunday night - Sox-Yankees on ESPN. Unfortunately, it's supposed to downpour here so the game might not happen. ESPN has a backup game in case that happens, right?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Congratulations to Philip Humber for pitching a perfect game.

I was glad to see Terry at the Fenway festivities yesterday. He led them to 2 World Series championships and had every right to be there.

Edited by smittykins, Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

ESPN has a backup game in case that happens, right?

Nope. The Sunday, 8PM ET slot is exclusive to ESPN; I think the Rangers are the only team who are allowed to schedule Sunday night games when not nationally televised, and those games start at 6PM local so as not to conflict.