MLB on FOX, ESPN, etc.

• Please log in to reply

11200 replies to this topic

AyeshaTheGreat

AyeshaTheGreat

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

What do you guys make of this Fausto Carmona mess where he not only lied about his age but also his identity, and that he has been paying off the family of the real Fausto Carmona?

Before having to look anything up, I knew he was Domincan. (We all did, right?) But this is the actual version of what I've been saying to anyone around for years. When some Domincan player would come out and they would talk about how young said player was, my first thought was always, sure, "Fausto Carmona is xx years old.. but that guy playing isn't Fausto Camona". So to see this actually happen made me giggle.

RedJed

RedJed

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Jon Heyman is reporting that the winner of the Prince Fielder are....

the Detroit Tigers

9 years, $200 million

I wonder if Prince realizes he isnt playing in the tiny Tiger Stadium that his Dad played in

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

A friend of mine in Michigan who wouldn't know a baseball player from a kickball player heard the words Prince, nine years, and $200 million and thought the Purple One was arrested for embezzling.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Why can't the season start tomorrow?!! I miss having something good to watch on TV and I can't wait to see Miggy and Prince batting 3 & 4.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Miguel/Prince in the lineup. But 9 years? I'm thinking that the Boras group slips something funny into the drinks during negotiations.

As a Red Sox fan, best wishes to Jorge Posada. I'm wondering if we've also seen the end of Varitek as well.

A few days late but RIP Marty Springstead.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

While I never cared for Posada (which really had nothing do with with the uniform he wore) I do wish him well in retirement. He had a helluva career.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

RIP, Gary Carter.

Tim Wakefield announces retirement. Congratulations to a class act on and off the field.

And it looks like the Yankees are finally ditching A.J. Burnett. IMHO, a classic case of "couldn't hack New York."

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

RIP, Gary Carter.

You knew it was coming given his condition, but it's sad none the less. I'm glad I had the chance to watch him in his prime, he was a big part of the Mets 1986 WS championship.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

God bless Gary Carter - he also won the MVP award at the 1981 (?) All-Star Game, held right here in Cleveland. What a class act, but I knew it was just a matter of time when his daughter made the statement to the press a few weeks ago that things looked bleak.

Speaking of class acts, I tip my cap to Tim Wakefield. I must admit that I HATE the Boston teams - the Red Sox, Celtics, and the New England Patriots (mainly because they beat my Cleveland teams almost all the time). That said, I've always had a lot of respect for Mr. Wakefield. God bless him in his future endeavors.

As for the pitcher formerly known as Fausto Carmona - I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head when I heard the news, so I did both. Pitchers and catchers are now reporting to spring training, and who knows when he'll be able to get a visa to leave the DR. Yet another issue, along with steroids, that MLB has looked the other way on. With this identity controversy happening to two teams in just a few months' time, it should be examined but I think we can count on Selig to do absolutely nothing.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens to "Fausto" this season. The whole thing is already like a soap opera; I can't imagine the twists and turns that will happen once the season is officially under way!!

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

My favorite Tim Wakefield moment was when he was with Pittsburgh and he baffled my Braves in the 1992 NLCS. I know it may not make sense for that to be a favorite moment since he shut out my team both games, beating Tom Glavine as well, but his performances were so good that I can't ignore them.

Enjoy your retirement, you deserve it!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

When a handful of RS got the Queer Eye treatment, Wakefield was the only one that elicted a oh! rrrowr! from me. I remember that whenever I saw him pitch thereafter. Well, that, and the non-knuckler that Aaron Boone sent over the wall. ;) Happy retirement, Wakey!

Pitchers and catchers report! Happy Happy!

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

The Braves' Tommy Hanson was in a single car accident today near their spring training site and has a possible concussion. I wish him a speedy recovery.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

The media reports say Tommy Hanson blew out a tire while going around a curve... and somehow he needed to go to get his head checked? I can't really piece this together, because I've blown 6 tires (...yeah, super-bad tire luck) and I've never been more than startled. I've never left the usual seated position behind the wheel. Did he flip the vehicle? Was he not wearing a seat belt? Obviously we're not getting all the story yet.

Regardless, I hope he's okay.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

From what I read he banged his head. Regardless, perhaps getting checked was just a precautionary measure?

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Right, my question is, how did he bang his head? I've never even jolted in my seat with a blown tire -- including the time both passenger tires blew out at the same time.

He missed today's workouts as well and won't be on the field for a few days.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Rumors confirmed: Lou Piniella joining YES. I guess he'll do some in-booth and in-studio stuff. Louuuuuuuuu!

Seriously, though, they do like a crowded booth, don't they?

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Tommy Hanson update:

Hanson said he went approx 90 feet down an embankment after his front rt. tire blew. His LEFT shoulder is a little sore from the seat belt

And here's a picture of Hanson talking to the news media.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

Braun wins appeal, won't face suspension

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I am happy about this. Both for Braun and the Milwaukee Brewers.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I bet Bud's not happy.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

I want to be happy about the appeal but for some reason I'm not as it seems like there was some mightly flimsy evidence presented in Braun's favor.

catlover79

catlover79

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:52 AM

So Grady Sizemore won't be ready for opening day. What a shock. *shakes head* If he's ready by the All-Star game, you all can knock me over with a feather!!

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

I caught part of the delayed Red Sox /Twins spring training game last night on MLB. The new Jet Blue "Fenway South" looked great on tv.

Any of the twop posters ever make it to spring training?

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I'm going to a game Friday! So sad no Braves games are being broadcast until Saturday, though.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

I'm not going to a game until March 31st, Tigers vs. Braves at Disney. Living in Florida has its advantages this time of year.

Edited to add: Pittsburgh signed Andrew McCutchen to a sweet deal. I'm not necessarily a Pirates fan though I do like McCutchen, but what I really hope is to see success return to Pittsburgh as they have such a rich baseball tradition.

Edited by MyAimIsTrue, Mar 7, 2012 @ 8:12 AM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I want to be happy about the appeal but for some reason I'm not as it seems like there was some mightly flimsy evidence presented in Braun's favor.

Indeed. From the argument they supposedly made, it should have been denied on its face. It shouldn't have even been a close call. It kind of invalidates the entire MLB testing program if someone can get off with an argument that any official testing body would call bullshit on. (Well, except the ITF. This was on the level of the "kissing a girl with coke on her lips" defense Richard Gasquet gave to the tennis authorities a couple of years back.) Makes you wonder if any star will get busted if he's in the prime of his career. There's now a precedent for a media shitstorm any time any current, high-profile player gets busted. Braun's argument was b.s., and so was the decision made.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

I went to a spring game in Viera yesterday, Mets versus the Nationals. Stephen Strasburg was the starting pitcher so it was the same matchup and the same starter as a game I attended in DC two summers ago. He was pretty good and I think the Mets had a split squad as there were only two names I recognized (and a lot of players wearing very high jersey numbers) and the Nats just pummeled them.

I may need to add Roger Bernadina to my baseball boyfriend list. He has some serious speed and a very good and accurate arm.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

It's baseball season in a few hours! I think it starts at 6am local time, so I'll be passing on watching the game.

As an Angelino, it's a great day that Frank McCourt will be gone soon! It's a shame he's allowed to profit so much when all he's done is TAKE from the team, and continued the horrible procession of Dodger owners since the O'Malleys sold the team. Two freakin' billion dollars. AND that sleazeball keeps the parking lot!

Edited by ikar, Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:17 AM.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

While I'm happy the season started this morning the purist in me can't accept the fact that the first game was not played in Cincinnati.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I guess it's because they are playing in Japan, but isn't it about a week too early for real games?