MLB on FOX, ESPN, etc.

• Please log in to reply

11200 replies to this topic

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 8:45 PM

Well the coasters are missing out on some great baseball. The past three games the cards/cubs have played have been great. Much better than the Red Sox/Yankee games we are subjected to every other weekend on whatever channel.

And yes even a Midwest team would be better viewing than yet another episode of Cops.

Colonial Philistine. must be a Cards fan, cause he makes a lit of sense.

Edited by tvjunkie, May 2, 2004 @ 8:47 PM.

wdejesus79

wdejesus79

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 9:06 PM

Well the coasters are missing out on some great baseball.

tvjunkie, you're telling me? I finally had to break down. I got tired of going to my dad's house (he has a baseball package, where he gets every baseball game), and I bought this package on mlb.com, where I can watch the games there.

Not only do I get to see any game I want, but I also get to see baseball on all these other channels, like NESN (I know that's an East Coast channel). I get to see different commentators, and see how the different channels do it, and get new fodder for the commercial thread.

I'm watching the Red Sox/Rangers game right now on ESPN, and I must admit, I love Jon Miller & Joe Morgan. Jon's voice is so soothing.

Colonial Philistine

Colonial Philistine

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 10:04 PM

Hell yeah, I'm a Cardinals fan. Born and bred, bleedin' Cardinal red. But as good as the Cards-Cubs rivalry is, I don't hate the Cubs like Red Sox fans hate the Yankees and vice versa.

I used to, but then the Cubs showed all the class in the world when DK died. Can't hate 'em after that. Will continue to root against them in all situations, but can't hate 'em.

Now, the Yankees, I can hate.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted May 2, 2004 @ 11:07 PM

Yeah the only time I can get behind the Cubs is if they are playing the Yankees. But it would be hard.

Yes, much respect for the DK stuff.. but most of those Cubs are gone now.

The Cubs/Cards are what sports is about. The Red Sox/Yankees is what sport needs to stay away from.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 12:10 AM

Actually, as a Cubs fan, I have never seen all that much rivalry between the Cubs and Cardinals. It just looks like any other game to me, despite what I hear. Now, Cubs-Brewers, that's a rivalry. They always play each other even, regardless of standing. Every time I go (I've been at both parks), I see roughly equal numbers of fans for each team, and all we do is talk smack for 9 innings. Not counting the parking lot. And when they do 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame', and they get up to "So let's root root root for the..." you can't make out the team. Both sides scream it as loud as they can and drown each other out, so that it's "Root root root for the brupbiers".

Now watch as I tie this into the topic.

Why do I go? Because A) I like the Cubs, and B) I can't get them on ESPN. Even if it's the only game, ESPN would rather show the Milwaukee market-- not even Illinois here!-- ESPNews and World's Strongest Man than a Cubs game. Even when Wrigley's sold out and they have no excuse for blacking it out, I apparently need to hear more details of the Kobe case. It just pisses me off.

Actually, edited because I actually seemed to actually use the actual word 'actually' too much. Actually.

Edited by mtvcdm, May 3, 2004 @ 12:15 AM.

Colonial Philistine

Colonial Philistine

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 12:45 AM

mtvcdm,

Okay, you are definitely not seeing what I am (and many other Cubs and Cards fans are) seeing.

Cubs & Cards is always intense, and has been for years - over the past two decades in my personal memory, it's always been on. Only recently have both teams been good at the same time, so the stakes are higher than before.

I don't know how many Brewers fans show up at Wrigley, but Wrigley turns half-red when the Cubbies host, and Busch turns almost one-third blue when the Cards host. I've talked smack with plenty of Cubs fans, who are, however, more pleasant than other fans.

Can't speak to the strength of the Cubs-Brewers rivalry myself - but it's hard for me to believe it's bigger than Cubs-Cards.

gleebo

gleebo

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 9:01 AM

The Cubs/Cards rivarly is a really good one. Not as evil as the Yankees/Red Sox one but it has its moments. Last year in September was so fun and is what pennant races are all about...loved it. Of course since I have loved the Cubs since I was 6 it really wasn't too hard to not love that run. I do hate the Cardinals but totally respect the organization...although getting rid of Busch Stadium should NEVER happen.

The series this weekend has been great baseball...yesterday's pitchers dual in this offensive minded era of the game was fabulous to watch. Now if we can only keep Kyle Walksworth out of the game today and Maddux looks like he did last start we can salvage a split. Considering the games are in St Louis I would gladly look at a split as a plus.

NotTheRock

NotTheRock

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

The Cubs/Cards still have a "rivalry"? Really? Aside from the Chicago-St. Louis thing, which stirs up emotion in any sport, the Cubs and Cards haven't both been all that good in the same season in quite some time. Now, if they were to meet in the NLCS, let's say, I imagine some rivalry could begin to develop.

The Yankees and Red Sox are the top two teams in the AL East every year, and there is genuine dislike going back 80 years. Let's just knock off the comparisons and suggestions that the Cubs-Cards is anywhere near that. I was at Yankee Stadium last June for two games during the Yanks-Cards series and, while the Cards travel VERY well (thousands of red-clad Cards fans in the house), their fans looked truly shell-shocked at the gall of us Yankee fans. They don't like being razzed -- folks in the midwest are just too polite, especially in places like St. Louie.

All that said, I do agree, even being a Yanks fan, that the NY-BOS rivalry is overdone and annoying, especially when Fox dredges up their footage of the exact same things of the last 80 years. Babe Ruth, Bucky Dent, Aaron Boone. Yes, we get it. Seriously, even those of us in New York get it and are tired of it. We know the history and we're the kinds of fans known for the "what have you done for me lately?" attitude.

Still in all, Boston sucks and I hate the Sox.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

Can't speak to the strength of the Cubs-Brewers rivalry myself - but it's hard for me to believe it's bigger than Cubs-Cards.

Especially because that's only been a rivalry since the Brewers switched leagues a few years ago. I went to college in Chicago from 1992 to 1996, and don't remember there being a huge White Sox-Brewers rivalry then. Maybe it's that there are more Cubs fans in southern Wisconsin and extreme northern Illinois than there are Sox fans.

Fox's baseball package wasn't scheduled to start until Saturday, May 22, and to show that Friday night Red Sox-Yankees game, they had to do some intense finagling with Major League Baseball and whoever it was who was already holding the broadcast rights for that game (YES and NESN, I guess). I assume the ratings weren't spectacular enough for Fox to want to have to play "let's make a deal" for additional Friday night games. But I do agree that they should show games on a national basis during the season, especially rivalry games, instead of the regional coverage they normally do on Saturday afternoons.

WhyTheLongFace

WhyTheLongFace

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 3:29 PM

FOX has audacity, thinking that the entire country cares about a NYY-BOS game... In April, no less. Hate the Sox, HATE the Yanks. HATED the result of last year's ALCS.
I only peeked at the a few innings, cuz there was a Twins game on the local affilate. Glad I missed whatever this "Scooter" thing is. Being that it's FOX, I thought maybe it was ScooterGirl from American Idol.

But if they could create a Friday Night Baseball, along the lines of ABC's Monday Night Football, that'd be pretty cool. It would save them the trouble of coming up with shows like Who Wants To See My Prostate Exam to air Friday nights.

Colonial Philistine

Colonial Philistine

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 5:06 PM

NotTheRock,

The Red Sox and Yankees being the top two teams in the AL East is a relatively recent thing. Granted, they've been that the past six years - but before that, only two out of fourteen. And I'm pretty sure the rivalry existed before six years ago. It might've intensified since then, but being the top two teams in the division isn't a prerequisite for a "rivalry" in my book.

Neither is meeting in an LCS - otherwise, the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry wouldn't have existed until last year - which I thought was their first time meeting in the ALCS.

For me, "rivalry" means that both teams' fans travel well, that both teams care more about playing each other than other teams in the division, and that both teams' fans care about beating the other team (regardless of the record for the rest of the season - see John Cooper).

Under those terms, Cubs-Cards certainly is a rivalry, nearly as old as the Yanks-Red Sox. Is it better? No - I was joking (mostly) when I said that, as additional sarcasm to drive home my serious point about "Both Coast Bias". I do prefer the Cubs-Cards rivalry, however - we are nicer. And that's a good thing, in my book.

erik316wttn

erik316wttn

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 6:10 PM

Now if we can only keep Kyle Walksworth out of the game

Heh. Kyle Walksworth.

I've taken to calling him "Kyle Farnsworthless"

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

Kyle Walksworth is the only Cub I like. But I'm a Cards fan of course.

This past rainy cold weekend over 180,000 fans saw a split series 2-2 of the Cubs and Cards, now that is a good time.

Can't wait to see how the Cubs choke this seasons, and I hope no one pays any attention to the Cardinals again and they just scoot on in.

As for Friday Night Fox games, I would be all for it, but it would never show a Central Division game of either league so it wouldn't mean much to me.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 7:09 PM

Random question -- what was the upshot of the Cablevision/YES controversy in NYC from a couple of years ago?

Edited by silentbob, May 3, 2004 @ 7:13 PM.

MsZoid

MsZoid

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 9:09 PM

This past rainy cold weekend over 180,000 fans saw a split series 2-2 of the Cubs and Cards, now that is a good time.

I wish i had been there!

I went to my parents house Friday night to watch the game because the cable company here only shows the CHicago FSN and WGN and I wasn't in the mood to listen to Chip Carey. Al and Joe are much much cooler.

I liked how Joe Buck was like "This is just as good as the Sox/Yankees Rivalry" Because it is.

To further mention the "no one likes Chip Carey" thing-my Cubs fan Grandfather hates him.

flg8or

flg8or

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2004 @ 11:02 PM

Yes, Chip is an idiot. Stone is great, though. He constantly has to gently contradict Chip when he says stupid or bewildering stuff.

henrque

henrque

Just Tuned In

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 4:52 PM

Re: Cablevision/YES

As far as I understand it, YES carries the Yankees (duh) and the NJ Nets. Soon, they'll probably start carring the NJ Devils since they're all owned by YankeeNets Co. (aka Steinbrenner). Cablevision owns the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, and carries the Isles, Mets, and Metro Stars. Basically that's a lot of freaking coverage. Occasionally, especially in Sept/Oct/Nov, there's too much sports for too little TV. So games get bumped from MSG (the TV station) to FSNY to Metro (a Cablevision only channel) and to occasionally Ch. 55 WIJR? (some channel I've never gotten).

Basically, if you subscribe to Cablevision, you have to pay extra to see the Yanks (and the sports channels in general, IIRC). And if you're not on Cablevision, then, once in a while you get screwed if you want to watch the Knicks, Rangers, or Isles. The jist of it is that the comsumer got screwed whilst Steinbrenner and the Dolans made more money.

Edited by henrque, May 4, 2004 @ 4:53 PM.

Rainmaker

Rainmaker

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 5:07 PM

Yes, Chip is an idiot. Stone is great, though. He constantly has to gently contradict Chip when he says stupid or bewildering stuff.

Like father, like grandson. I used to want to count how many times Stoney must have been biting his lip to keep himself from correcting something that Caray would say. It was kind of sad, especially as Harry got a bit senile and would mess up names, pronunciations, and even teams. Chip obviously isn't senile, but he does say some dumb things at times.

Kyle Walksworth! BWAH! This guy has so much raw talent but can't harness it. I'm glad to see that he's regained the zip in his fastball. It seemed for a while last year (?) he could only hit 92 or so. He reminds me in a way of Mitch Williams, with the dominating fastball but so out of control that you're always holding your breath.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

I can't regard Yankees-Red Sox as a real rivalry until the Red Sox beat the Yankees, just one time, when there is something at stake.

Getting back to FOX: why don't they have games in April and May, anyway?

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 5:40 PM

Fox is already occupied on Sundays at that time with the first half of the NASCAR season. When they have to hand the late regular season and playoffs to NBC (boy, Fox must be peeved), then they start airing baseball.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 6:49 PM

I believe Steinbrenner sold YankeeNets a couple months ago, so don't expect the Devils on Yes anytime soon.

flg8or

flg8or

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 7:31 PM

YankeeNets was recently broken up, yes.

That Yankees/Boston game got a 3.6 rating. Their regular-season average last year was a 2.7, and only beat a 3.6 once - the Cubs/Yankees game they showed.

I think with everything that goes on (including NASCAR on their own air), a lot of people don't pay as much attention to baseball until Memorial Day, and FOX's TV schedule reflects that.

Sars

Sars

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

The Red Sox/Yankees is what sport needs to stay away from.

This is off-topic; the thread is about baseball on TV, so we all need to stick to that subject and not be making grand pronouncements about The Sport, because it's beyond the scope of this site.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 1:49 PM

It really bugs me the way the YES crew refers to Yankee Stadium. They always say The Stadium, and they say it in a way that you can actually hear the caps.

wdejesus79

wdejesus79

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 12:57 AM

It really bugs me the way the YES crew refers to Yankee Stadium. They always say The Stadium, and they say it in a way that you can actually hear the caps.

What really bugs is that I, a Mets fan, have started referring to it like that as well.

I was watching the Yankees get beaten by Oakland today, and you know what pisses me off? Yes waits forever to show their little diamond in the corner, to show what inning, what score, how many outs, etc. Sometimes, I just switch the channel to check on the score and get suckered into watching 5-10 minutes of the game. Wait . . . I see their evil plan now.

cronox5

cronox5

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 2:14 AM

That Diamond delay is annoying.

Anyone notice the YES people upgrading their production values though? The Cingular Call to the Bullpen and AFLAC Trivia Questions now have complete animations to them instead of a static graphic.

wdejesus79

wdejesus79

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 2:32 AM

I just like that the AFLAC duck walks across the screen when they ask their little useless trivia. I love that duck.

gleebo

gleebo

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 1:32 PM

I mostly like Chip. The fact that he always seems to be a bigger Cardinals fan is about the only thing I find bad about him.

Now the Chip and Joe Carter days were just painful to watch and listen too. Joe Carter was one of the worst announcers I have ever listened to. He added nothing to the game and often times got confused about the fact that Chip was the play by play announcer and he was supposed to be the analytical one in the booth(yeah I just said that) adding bits of information about technical aspects of the game like Steve does. Instead he just started talking over Chip during the middle of a play by play call and apparantly had such a short term memory that he could only ever associate one player from each team during each series. I thought he wanted to marry Jack Wilson and Ichiro. If I had a dollar for everytime he mentioned Ichiro's name when they weren't even playing the Mariners I would be very rich.

Although he loved Ichiro, it didn't compare to the strange obsession that Don Baylor had with Augie Ojeda. I am still in awe that he didn't find a way for the Mets to pick him up.

Sars

Sars

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

Yes waits forever to show their little diamond in the corner, to show what inning, what score, how many outs, etc.

That is extremely annoying. When I tune in mid-game, I don't want to have to wait ten minutes for a score. Also, could someone please brace the center field camera? When it's wiggling around like that it gives me a headache.

tvjunkie

tvjunkie

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

Nevermind!

Edited by tvjunkie, May 10, 2004 @ 6:43 PM.