Actor Pull: Cast in Other Roles

• Please log in to reply

1486 replies to this topic

Sean C

Sean C

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 6:36 PM

This seems to be a popular thread to have in show forums, and with the current cinematic offerings featuring Jason Bateman (Starsky & Hutch) and David Cross (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), I figure there are plenty of talking points to start the topic rolling, and to keep such talk in one place, rather than having it pop up in character threads and episode threads and the meet market. This could cover current and former roles outside the show.

I saw Eternal Sunshine today, and thought that David Cross was entertaining in his very small role. He and Jane Adams (as his wife) played well off each other, getting on each others' nerves in just the right way to be believable. I especially loved his line reading of "I'm building a birdhouse!" early in the film.

Bateman's turn in Starsky was more of a straight-man role, with not a lot of real jokes aside from the laughs generated by the overall seventiesness of his look. About halfway through the movie, my sister gasped, "Is that---?! Jason Bateman?" I'm pretty sure she thought he'd been lost to the ravages of time, and is completely unaware he's starring on a network program. But she's a fan of Friends and reality shows and not much else, so I didn't waste my breath trying to convert her, or even to inform her what Mr. Bateman's been up to.

Anyway, there's a start; guest-star Amy Poehler has an upcoming role in Envy, the Jack Black/Ben Stiller vehicle that's been delayed so much as to not have a lot of positive buzz going, but I'm sure someone around here will see it and have an opinion to share.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 8:05 PM

My love for Jason Bateman knows no bounds. You need proof? I sat through the horrendous movie "One Way Out" starring Jim Belushi. The movie was crap but Jason was good in his role. Plus, he looked hot as hell.

I know it was mentioned in the old thread but both Will Arnett and Tony Hale had small parts on episodes of Sex and the City.

KishKash

KishKash

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

Yep, Will was on SATC and also had a small part on the Sopranos as the husband of the undercover FBI agent that was buddying up to Adriana. The weirdest thing is that I happened to catch both of his roles in the same evening while watching old episodes on HBO OnDemand. The Sopranos thing was just a regular, non-funny cop role, but I kept trying to project GOB onto it. With the "Hot Cops". heh.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 9:35 PM

Weird! According IMDB, Tony Hale was also in an episode of The Sopranos.

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 9:41 PM

I could swear I just saw Jeffrey Tambor in a "Hellboy" ad.

roybetter

roybetter

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 1:08 AM

You most certainly did, Arlykeeno

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 11:36 AM

Eww. I just saw George Michael Cera in "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind," as aforementioned in the old thread. "It tastes like Strawberries" Oh, a harbinger of things to come...

2chacha

2chacha

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

Will Arnett was also in a particularly squicky episode of L&O:SVU, playing a member of a pedophilia ring that was bringing young illegal immigrant boys into the US. The episode is called "Angels", and USA loves repeating it. Very little GOB-ness going on.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

I saw the episode not that long ago. I just kept giggling at all his scenes, even though it was a really sick episode.

Yes ! I am the first to mention David Cross's best role - Donnie on Just Shoot Me. Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie.

cranberry

cranberry

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 4:08 PM

I liked David Cross in the "Chock" episode of Newsradio (that was the classic-to-me one with him, Bob Odenkirk and Brian Posehn). "We are most certainly not a barbershop quartet!"

Duffman10011

Duffman10011

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 4:57 PM

Upon checking out the various IMDB filmographies, I found that George Michael Cera had a small role in Frequency, a very underrated sci-fi movie with Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel.

And all this talk about David Cross, but no mention of his roles in both of those big Men in Black movies. His last bit in the second one, where he walks off-screen carrying a shovel, was the only time I laughed out loud. Also, his couple of appearances on The Drew Carey Show, as Earl, are priceless.

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 5:07 PM

Speaking of Bob Odenkirk, I thought it was quite lovely that he was in "Visiting Ours": while GM reunited with PopPop in prison, Dave Cross returned to his frequent comedy partner.

"...And Scene!"

Sniff.

I am very dismayed that "Exit 9," which IMDB users say need a lot of work, is listed before AD in George Michael Cera's entry. Please, please let that have been something he did before AD.

(I don't want any of my actors covering their bases in case AD doesn't get renewed)

Edited by sarcasmdetected, Mar 23, 2004 @ 5:08 PM.

naugastyle

naugastyle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 10:45 PM

I just saw Eternal Sunshine blah blah blah and ADORED every minute. Having David Cross in it was just icing.

Does anyone watch Aqua Teens Hungerforce? David Cross played "Happy Time Harry" in one of my favorite episodes, "Dumber Dolls." Also, what IMDB calls "Comic Dressed as a Nun" in an episode of Tenacious D. It was only about 5 seconds, and it slayed me. David Cross doesn't have to do much to please me.

ETA: Was just looking up Michel Gondry while still on a Eternal Sunshine high, and found this entry I think everyone will appreciate.

Edited by naugastyle, Mar 23, 2004 @ 10:52 PM.

no sic sherlock

no sic sherlock

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 11:21 PM

Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot Pie.

Damn, I was going to post that. Anyway, that episode ("Slow Donnie") of JSM is airing in double-run markets on Friday this week (e.g., Philadelphia @11:30p).

gleebo

gleebo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 7:15 AM

I about went nuts when I noticed Tambor's voice on the Hellboy commercial. I was on the edge about seeing it or not, but I think I may just because he is in it. Plus my roommate and I just cannot get over the fact that Pearlman is the lead actor in a superhero movie.

Is Eternal Sunshine as good as it looks? Because it looks beyond fabulous.

Edited by gleebo, Mar 24, 2004 @ 7:16 AM.

lyric

lyric

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 9:41 AM

I am not on the Jim Carrey bandwagon. It's like I have an allergy to something that I know a lot of other people love. I have a severe reaction to seeing Carrey (usually) mug it up on screen. The only thing I ever really liked him in was a TV movie called "Doing Time on Maple Drive" (I think), and it was a straight dramatic role.

But I do think Charlie Kaufman is a great kind of strange, and I do like some of the other actors in this cast (Cross, Wilkinson, Ruffalo) -- though I have no idea how long theyll be on screen.

I may have to get over my Carrey aversion and see Eternal Sunshine anyway.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

If you are a SFU fan, I thought that Carrey looked a lot of Peter Krause so you could pretend its him :-)

Sean C

Sean C

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

I pretty well forgot that Carrey was Carrey for most of the film. It's really a sight to see, and I recommend it. There's not much David Cross, but he makes all his small scenes count.

And I keep hearing good things about Hellboy on all the movie-geek websites I like. It doesn't have the instant name recognition of the more mainstream comic-book characters, but word is the movie is well-made and engaging, and could easily pick up steam through word-of-mouth of those who see it quickly.

gleebo

gleebo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 8:34 AM

I was just watching my Firefly DVDs AGAIN and noticed on the episode, "The Train Job" that I was seeing freaking White Power Bill.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 8:46 AM

Wait, was he the guy who got sucked in the fan?

ashfett

ashfett

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 1:26 PM

No, though the guy who got sucked in to the fan was Leatherface in the Chainsaw Massacre remake, and Christopher Walken's son in Batman Returns. But I'm getting off topic... :)

Anyhoo, I wanted to say that if you're a Will Arnett fan, you should rent Series 7. I like the movie a lot anyway, and think it's a really funny/dark satire on reality tv (which is impressive, since it came out right as the reality tv thing was just starting with Survivor). And Arnett is perfect as the over the top, hyperbole filled (and lying) narrator of The Contender's, the reality show the movie is about. You never see him, but he's a huge part of the film, which is presented as if it was actually a marathon of the tv show.

And if you like Amy Poehler, you must rent the hysterical Wet Hot American Summer.

Duffman10011

Duffman10011

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 4:58 PM

Finally saw Starsky and Hutch today....too bad Bateman got such a thankless role. Like it's been said before, he had little to do, although I was the only audience member laughing at his little spiel about the new cocaine: "It gets a little complicated after that." The weird thing was there was an audible gasp during the end credits, when his name was shown along with his character. Was this just "Wow, a child star who's still working?" or "Michael Bluth??" Hopefully the latter.

Flying Penguin

Flying Penguin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

ashfett, I'd heard of that Series 7 movie and was considering renting it but now that I hear that Will Arnett's voice is in it --I'm sold! My gawd, the things that man can do with his voice...

The weird thing was there was an audible gasp during the end credits, when his name was shown along with his character. Was this just "Wow, a child star who's still working?" or "Michael Bluth??" Hopefully the latter.

Heh heh.. no, the weird thing is that I feel such pride from hearing that people I don't even know are impressed to see Jason Bateman's name. Yay!

Duffman10011

Duffman10011

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

Flying Penguin, there's nothing weird about feeling pride over Mr. Bateman. He's proven he deserves it, even in Starsky and Hutch.

caltrask55

caltrask55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2004 @ 9:10 PM

No, though the guy who got sucked in to the fan was Leatherface in the Chainsaw Massacre remake, and Christopher Walken's son in Batman Returns.

So who was he then?

Phishbulb

Phishbulb

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 6:51 AM

Here's a trailer for the movie "Dodgeball", which comes out June 18th. Jason Bateman is in it; it looks like he'll be playing one of the two announcer guys at the dodgeball tournament. I guess Bateman must be friends with Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn now. This movie looks a lot funnier than "Starsky and Hutch" though. Just the image of grown men getting pelted with dodgeballs is funny to me.

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 8:35 AM

I checked IMDb, and the guy who played White Power Bill, David Reynolds, played "Henchman" in Firefly. Doesn't narrow it down much for me.

Flying Penguin

Flying Penguin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 9:47 AM

Heh heh.. that Dodgeball movie looks like Zoolander in a different setting (and how much did I love Zoolander?!). I'm so glad Jason Bateman's now part of the Ben Stiller-Vince Vaughn-Owen Wilson posse (though I don't think Owen Wilson's in this movie). That kid from "Ed" looks like he's got a nice meaty role in this movie. Could be funny!

Duffman10011

Duffman10011

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 12:56 PM

Man, the Dodgeball movie looks funny, but when Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn are involved, I'm not surprised. I like how it looks like Bateman's going to be very wacky. Just look at his outfit in the trailer, compared with the other announcer (who I believe is Gary Cole)...he must be the color commentator. It'll be a good change-of-pace role. Maybe sometime soon, he'll be the lead.

gleebo

gleebo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 1:20 PM

Was it wrong that I rewound the clip just to see Bateman leaning back in the shades like 5 times? No probably not.