Fault!: Network Tennis Coverage

• Please log in to reply

13230 replies to this topic

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

1)Why doesn't this tournament seed Nadal No. 1?

I believe only Wimbledon seeds acceding to the previous year's tournaments. The other 3 grand slams follow the ATP rankings.

So with Azarenka's exit does this mean Sharapova will win her first FO title? In all fairness none of them are major clay court players so any shock exists aren't *really* shocking.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

What made the Tennis Channel issue funnier was if you watched French Open Tonight, there was not one mention of the Wozniacki/Kanepi match. I get not showing footage if it's NBC's but not even the score, much less the drama, came up.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

So with Azarenka's exit does this mean Sharapova will win her first FO title? In all fairness none of them are major clay court players so any shock exists aren't *really* shocking.

I would love it if Sharapova could win another slam, but the women's side has been so batshit crazy thus far I'm now to the point where I'd be a little disappointed if a random player didn't win it this year.

Like that girl who beat Li Na today? Shvedova? She seemed kinda awesome.

Edited by hardy har, Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:11 AM.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Yeah am happy to see unseeded players oust the top players. It gives them confidence for the other tournaments. I do wish Sharapova completes her career slam on clay. But she's got a bad case of crash-and-burn at the finals ever since her shoulder injury so I'd be surpassed if she wins.

On the men's side it's down to the Joker or Nadal. Incredibly to know that potentially 2 records could be broken.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Well, shit. Now, I think I have to pull for Shvedova. Coming back from knee surgury and dealing with having your coach leave during your comeback? That sucks. It's nice that she seems to have a good group around her now, though.

Tory

Tory

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

WTF? ESPN2 showed live coverage of the Djokovic/Tsonga match and now that it's over, it's being shown again. Why aren't they showing other matches that happened earlier in the day? It was a good one and all, but I don't want to see it twice in one day. Idiot programmers.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Is it inevitable that Nadal wins again? With his win today, he is 50-1 at the French open. He has only lost 1 set this year on clay.

Edited by CharmCity04, Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

loseresque

loseresque

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

It would have been inevitable had Djoko not won yesterday, and in such a gutsy way. Wins like that only fuel him more. Also Ferrer's dangerous too. He's only dropped one set this whole tournament. I hope Rafa wins because he's been second place for a while and needs this to stoke confidence for the other slams. But I won't be betting on him.

I liked that coverage stayed on the game today. I wanted to see the outcome of Ferrer/Murray even though Murray mostly petered out.

Edited by loseresque, Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:41 PM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

I definitely think his biggest challenge is joker, but even then Rafa has been so dominant on clay. I would be shocked If he lost.

That's if Joker can get past Federer.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I'm so happy that Murray got knocked out by Ferrer. Rafa will probably eat him alive but that's OK because I like both of them.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

He has only lost 1 set this year on clay.

What about the Madrid Open? Doesn't blue clay count as clay?

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

What about the Madrid Open? Doesn't blue clay count as clay?

I'd say that entire tournament should have an asterisk next to it :D The surface was equivalent to hard court and obviously the wins there didn't mean anything. Djoko has the best chance of beating Nadal, if at all Nadal is to lose. But with his 2 wins over him on clay court, I think Rafa got over his psychological problems with the Joker.

I feel very very sorry for Tsonga. But this the reason why the top 3 are the top 3. The others just don't have the confidence to beat them on their good days.

Edited by blackburn, Jun 7, 2012 @ 6:56 AM.

pigapoo

pigapoo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

I love Tsonga. I'd love to see him win a slam. Djoke probably is the most "gutsy" player right now, and I actually love that about him. I think Djoke can beat Fed. I don't think Federer has much stamina this year. Mostly, I want Dkoke to beat him because I just can't watch anymore Nadal/Fed FO thumpings. Its just not fun. As long as Nadal is in the draw, I just don't think Fed can win again at the FO.

I'm hoping for a good Ferrer/Nadal match. Hoping anyway. Nadal has pretty much breezed through his side of the draw.

I have mixed feelings about Murray. I want to root for him, but his behavior makes me NOT want to. He's another I'd like to see win a slam, but right now, he'd have to get serious breaks and some weak moments from the top 3 for that to happen.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

At the start of the Stosur/Errani match, they showed Brad Gilbert sitting in the stands. There is a woman sitting next to him covering her mouth with this "Oh, the horror" look and the guy next to here leans forward and glowers at BG as if to say "Are you seriously going to be talking through the entire match?" Priceless.

Edited by Renard, Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:24 AM.

Candy Darling

Candy Darling

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Does Chris Evert owe Sharapova some money? The fawning over her is getting ridiculous. Maria is a great player, but Chrissie could at least try to be objective while she calls the match.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

At the start of the Stosur/Errani match, they showed Brad Gilbert sitting in the stands. There is a woman sitting next to him covering her mouth with this "Oh, the horror" look and the guy next to here leans forward and glowers at BG as if to say "Are you seriously going to be talking through the entire match?" Priceless.

lmao, I thought I was the only one who noticed. I had just turned into the match and was so confused about what was going on. Yeah that woman did not look too happy with his presence.

Happy for Maria but I'm not getting too excited until I see how she plays in that Final because the last two have just been brutal. She gets there and everything just falls apart. It's like she's become the go to for other players to win their first Slam against...Azarenka, Kvitova. Still I'm pulling for her and it's pretty awesome that she made it all the way back to #1.

I wouldn't mind a Federer/Nadal final or even Federer/Ferrer final, just as long as Djokovich is not there. I just cannot. Objectively I can acknowledge and appreciate his talent but I just cannot like the guy or enjoy his success. His buggy eyes, posturing, massive head...it all just bugs me. And again I know it's not really rational but there you have it.

It was the same with Roddick years ago. I appreciated all the other male players even if I may have had favorites but I would never root for Andy Roddick because dude just bugged the hell out of me. That's Djokovich.

blackburn

blackburn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I wouldn't mind a Federer/Nadal final or even Federer/Ferrer final, just as long as Djokovich is not there. I just cannot. Objectively I can acknowledge and appreciate his talent but I just cannot like the guy or enjoy his success. His buggy eyes, posturing, massive head...it all just bugs me. And again I know it's not really rational but there you have it.

You and me Ileykian45 :D Even after his incredible year, I still see Djokovic fooling his opposition by 'pretending' to run out of steam. At least that's the way it'd always look to me. Though I have to admit once he toned down his on-court antics and started crediting his competitors more, his game has improved immensely. He probably just needs a lesson in humility. If he wins the career slam I'd cut a bitch.

Agree about Sharapova too. Kvitova and Azarenka were unlikely grand slam winners, and Sharapova just gave up the match next to them. I'd love to see her complete a career slam, cause chances of her getting here again are very unlikely.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

At the start of the Stosur/Errani match, they showed Brad Gilbert sitting in the stands. There is a woman sitting next to him covering her mouth with this "Oh, the horror" look and the guy next to here leans forward and glowers at BG as if to say "Are you seriously going to be talking through the entire match?" Priceless

I saw that too! I saw the guy next him give Brad a STFU look! It was priceless! Although the fans should know by now, with all the TV coverage going on, that there is going to be someone from some TV station sitting in the stands with them.

Happy for Maria but I'm not getting too excited until I see how she plays in that Final because the last two have just been brutal. She gets there and everything just falls apart. It's like she's become the go to for other players to win their first Slam against...Azarenka, Kvitova. Still I'm pulling for her and it's pretty awesome that she made it all the way back to #1.

I agree. The Azarenka lose was okay but her losing to Kvitova last year at Wimbledon was just dumb. She should win against Errani but will see.

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

So is NBC going to screw us west coast viewers again? They won't begin coverage until after all 20 hours of the sacred Today show is over. If semi 2 has started will they pick it up in progress or show it delayed? I hate this crap!

crimsongrl

crimsongrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

Khyber, last weekend NBC started in progress. I'm in the Central Time Zone so I don't know if that applies to everyone.

Is there a real chance the women's final isn't a blowout? I'll set the DVR but I'm not hopeful.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Damn, Nadal didn't just beat his opponent today, he carved him up. If Nadal plays like that in te finals, Might as well hand him his 7th FO title.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

So is NBC going to screw us west coast viewers again? They won't begin coverage until after all 20 hours of the sacred Today show is over. If semi 2 has started will they pick it up in progress or show it delayed? I hate this crap!

Agreed. WTF? I'm "watching" Djokovic and Federer on Espn Courtcast, seeing the little ball go back and forth and reading the descriptions. It's pretty cool technology, but that's just wrong for us viewers. How come sometimes things are shown live and sometimes things are on terrible tape delay? Which network mofo do we need to write a letter to?

ForgetYall

ForgetYall

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

The match is streaming at the NBC Sports site if that's available to you.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Not only was NBC's coverage horrible with it's stupid delay, they basically spoiled Nadal's win before showing anything of the match by brilliantly showing the draw after Djikovic's win. Like wtaf...if I wanted to be spoiled I would have just gone online.

I don't get it. What's the damn point of paying to get the rights for coverage, if it's going to be such half ass coverage. Just let ESPN2 and Tennis Channel show it. I'm so glad that ESPN2 apparently has complete coverage for Wimbly. I guess I should be grateful that they stopped showing the women's final on taped delay.

As for the matches, well Fed/Djokovic was disappointing. I can't remember the last time I saw that many UE from Federer in a match. And now I have to deal with another Djokovic final...Rafa better win or might have to reconsider my love for him because I'll hold him solely responsible if we have to see Djokovic's head grow even bigger.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

I'm so glad that ESPN2 apparently has complete coverage for Wimbly.

This is true. ESPN has the rights to Wimbledon for the entire tournament. I read in an article when they got the rights away from NBC that they would try to air the quarterfinals on different channels. So, for example, ESPN would show Centre Court's match and ESPN2 would show Court 1's match. If that happens, we will see.

Not only was NBC's coverage horrible with it's stupid delay, they basically spoiled Nadal's win before showing anything of the match by brilliantly showing the draw after Djikovic's win. Like wtaf...if I wanted to be spoiled I would have just gone online.

Well in all honesty Nadal has owned Ferrer for the past couple of years. And did anyone really expect him to lose to Ferrer? I was just happy that the Fed/Novak match was scheduled second so that I could actually see it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Brava Maria, nicely done. How short is that French guy giving out the trophy? Seles towered over him, then Sharapova towered over Seles. By the way, Monica Seles looks fabulous! I've never seen her look chic before, but that's how I'd describe her today.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I'm so glad that ESPN2 apparently has complete coverage for Wimbly.

Good; it has to be better than NBC's coverage.

Serious question- what does McEnroe have against Nadal? For years he was so obviously pro-Federer, & right now I'm watching the start of the French Open, & sure enough Johnny is pro-asshole. I used to think it was just a case of him maybe being a personal friend of RF, but now I think he actually doesn't like Nadal. It's even more annoying to me because Rafa is the only tennis player I've reallllly liked since Borg!

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Brava Maria, nicely done.

Co-sign this. I cannot even imagine how difficult it was to overcome a shoulder injury, especially as a tennis player and you definitely saw how much it affected her serve; then to still crawl all the way back to #1 and make multiple GS finals. Four for you, Maria.

I have to say, I was a little annoyed by the French crowd. I get that they wanted more tennis (although let's be honest, if Maria was French they wouldn't have cared a lick about how quickly the match was over) but they were so muted and lukewarm in their applause, imo, even after she'd won.

And again, if you are any kind of tennis fan, which I assume most of them there were, you had to have some vague knowledge of how hard and long it took Sharapova to get to this point. Not to mention that she played an amazing match. I just think they could have been a little more positive in their response.

Serious question- what does McEnroe have against Nadal?

I do think for whatever reason, many of the American commentators do seem to not be particularly fond of Rafa. There's Chris Evert and her clear Federer bias, Pam Shriver was the one who asked Mardy Fish once what others in the locker rooms think about Rafa and it seemed a clearly leading question at the time.

With McEnroe though, I don't know if I'd say he hates him because he was the one for a while, when Rafa was still #2 to Federer kept harping on the former being the true and real #1 even though it was a tricky thing because that year he kept saying it, sure Rafa had won the French and finally won Wimbly but I think Federer won Aus Open that year and he won the US Open. However, McEnroe was insistent that Rafa, no matter what the points said, was the true #1.

So I don't think he really hates him. I do think he's prone to ridiculous hyperbole (I think he somehow equated Spain's winning the World Cup to Rafa's success...no kidding) and jumping on the bandwagon of whoever's dominating which I guess at the moment is Djokovic.

Edited by lleykian54, Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:50 AM.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

I was late coming to the men's final this morning. Was the weather worse in Paris this morning? Seems like they should have told the men they would start earlier today to avoid any weather problems. But I guess if it's been this way all day, then there's nothing they could do.

How in the world was Djokovic not warned for bouncing his racket or penalized for smashing his Perrier seat? WTF? Seems like some kind of fine is at least warranted. I've always felt like Djokovic goes into whiny baby mode when things don't go his way, and that is the very essence of why I dislike him.

That's great to see John and Patrick McEnroe win the Legends tournament. Must have been a fun time for both of them to get to play together.

lleykian54

lleykian54

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Yeah I'm really shocked about the Perrier thing. I mean they give fines and warnings for a player damaging their own personal racket. This is like damaging ATP property or at least French Open property. I will be shocked if there isn't some fine announced later.