Sex and the City

• Please log in to reply

21733 replies to this topic

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Samantha - hmmm, I'm hard-pressed to come up with family for her, too. She once mentioned that she worked at a Dairy Queen when she was a teenager, and that endeared me to her.

In the episode where she is sick and has just recently bought her apartment in the Meat Packing District (so she doesn't have a Super to hang her drapes), she talks about her mother who was a stay at home mom and devoted her life to her kids. Her mother is the one who would make her that disgusting cough syrup drink Carrie had to make her. I don't remember other mentions though.

I agree that it isn't unusual for even very close friends to not meet your family if you live out of state. I am very close to my sister and very close to my friends yet very few of them have met my sister (I visit her).

Edited by Betsyb, Apr 3, 2012 @ 4:37 PM.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

Really good point on noting that Carrie didn't have family at her wedding. I always figured she was an only child and maybe her mom passed away in her early adulthood? So she built a new family? It would fit really well with the character, like how much she bonded with the premature ejaculator's awesome mother, maybe yearning for her own mother or something.

(Just remembered the "short story" guy was a young, hot Justin Theroux. S&TC had all the best hot costars from before they were famous! And I think that episode is one of my all-time favorites.)

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

And the gay sister from the Justin Theroux episode was the woman who plays the lead in The Killing. Everybody was in SATC at one time or another!

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

In one of the episode commentaries (it might have been Charlotte's wedding to Trey), MPK says they deliberately didn't mention the families of the women very often because the show was about how the women became a family by choice. And the show was about them now, not who they were when younger.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Which works out perfectly so that they can now shoot the Carrie Diaries without having to worry much about preserving continuity about her family from SATC.

Espy

Espy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

!

And the gay sister from the Justin Theroux episode was the woman who plays the lead in The Killing. Everybody was in SATC at one time or another!

That was the episode with Valerie Harper and David McCallum as the parents too. Great episode, great casting.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

That was the episode with Valerie Harper and David McCallum as the parents too. Great episode, great casting.

Oh yeah! I always thought it was Tovah Feldshuh, the awesome mom from Kissing Jessica Stein, but a quick IMDB check proves you are correct, it was Valerie Harper.

I get what MPK was going for without involving their families, but would you have just died to meet Carrie's mother? She wouldn't have had to be a regular character if she didn't live in NYC, but dang. A couple of guest episodes would have really gone a long way towards exploring Carrie. And holy crap, an episode with Charlotte's WASPy, Episcopalian parents would have been spectacular. Particularly if they'd been brought in while she was converting to Judaism in preparation for marrying Harry. Missed opportunity.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

It's a general pet peeve of mine to have episodes where "so and so's mother visits from out of town, and creates hijinks!" (watching too much Three's Company in my childhood). It would have been, Carrie's mother visits and then leaves after some moral lesson, and then is never heard of again. They just started with the "never heard of again" part! I also hate when guest actors come on and bear no resemblance to the person they're related to, I know it can't be helped, but come on, people, the producers of Frasier did a great job with Frasier and Niles! Try harder!

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Well, considering how insistent Carrie had been about meeting Big's mother, even to the point of stalking them at church with their silly gloves and big hats, it would have been nice had Big said he'd like to meet Carrie's mother, too. And then Carrie's general freak-out when Aidan invited her to meet his parents! She was all over the damned place. A little backstory would have been great.

And thank to someone above who mentioned that Carrie did mention a father that walked out on the family when she was little. It was the guy who called Carrie "Cookie" at Vogue... (not her father) lol

laurenf

laurenf

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

I've just been watching the episodes where Carrie is cheating on Aidan with Big and it's got me to thinking: are we supposed to believe that what we see Carrie writing is what actually makes up her column? Because one week she's all "why isn't there a pamphlet about high-risk relationship behaviours?" and the next week "is honesty the best policy in relationships?" etc. and come on! If she's supposedly super worried about Aidan finding out MAYBE these aren't the best topics?

I mean, I get what the show is trying to do making the column "match up" with what's going on in her "real life", but at the same time it's pretty unrealistic that Carrie would basically out that she's cheating on her boyfriend in the newspaper!

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:08 AM

I figured the voice over and what we see her writting is like her journal/thoughts and that she takes them and turns them into an article.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

Given Carrie's usual demonstration of forethought and understanding of the consequences of her actions, I have absolutely no problem believing she wrote about her relationship conflicts and affair without ever considering that the other principals involved might read her column and put two and two together.

Duckie30ca

Duckie30ca

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

My Motherboard, My Self will never not make me cry. Miranda in the dressing room with Lucille? Tears. Samantha mouthing "I'm sorry." Tears. Carrie jumping out of the pew to walk down the aisle with Miranda? Tears. Steve and Aidan at the back of the church? Tears.

If you could take out Carrie and her stupid missing computer and Samantha and her lost Orgasm...it'd be just about perfect (since I love Charlotte's "You're dead, let's disco..." assessment of the flowers.)

Edited by Duckie30ca, Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:39 PM.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

I've been rewatching Season 1, and while Carrie is a little odd, she's a much more ORGANIC character to me. I could see a normal woman behaving this way and still have friends etc. I do think Miranda's wardrobe was awful.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

Watching Chicago for the 99th time and I spy Marcus (Sean Palmer) with his head near Catherine Zeta-Jones's crotch during the "All That Jazz" opening number.

FranciePants

FranciePants

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I was watching the David Duchovny episode today and one scene threw me: Stanford and Marcus ran into Charlotte and Anthony and mentioned going to the GLBT prom. Then Stanford talked about his high school prom, and his girlfriend, and despite Anthony telling him otherwise, how he "wasn't gay in high school". Huh? He seemed offended by the notion that he was a gay teenager. So what, writers, he chose to be gay at some point? He wasn't born that way? It was really weird.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

IIRC, Stanford says he didn't go to his high school prom "...because -- ", and Anthony interrupts him with, "You WERE GAY!" Stanford may have implied something to the effect of that he wasn't out then, but I don't remember the exact words.
In the ep with Dan Futterman as Charlotte's Is-He-Or-Isn't-He?, pastry chef boyfriend Stefan, when Charlotte says, "Maybe he doesn't know," Stanford is quick to jump in with the declaration that he (Stanny) pretty much always knew.

SiouxBee39

SiouxBee39

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

I was watching the David Duchovny episode today

Me too.

DD was yummy then and is even more so today. IMHO of course.

On topic? Even though he was in Connecticut to work out his issues, I still say he was one of Carrie's better dates/boyfriends !

VioletMarx

VioletMarx

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

And I can never hate Steve. I, too, felt that it was plot contrivance (sp?) to make him like a child in order to make Miranda mean-mommy so they'd have to break up. Again. His appearance with Aidan at Miranda's mother's funeral was very touching.

Yes! What was Steve reading at the bar when he met Miranda? Wasn't it Dostoevsky? He was smart and self-aware at first and they turned him into half a moron.

FranciePants

FranciePants

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

IIRC, Stanford says he didn't go to his high school prom "...because -- ", and Anthony interrupts him with, "You WERE GAY!" Stanford may have implied something to the effect of that he wasn't out then, but I don't remember the exact words.

I found the transcript online:

Stanford: I missed my prom in high school, because..
Anthony: You were gay.
Stanford: No, my girlfriend and I broke up the night before because..
Anthony: You were gay.
Stanford: No, I wasn't gay until..
Anthony: You were born.
Stanford: Never mind.

It just struck me as really weird. Like, he seemed wildly offended that Anthony thought he was gay...even though he's gay? I know he and Anthony had a prickly relationship then, but it was still strange.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

I think Stanford probably really liked his HS girlfriend, and he may have even tried to be straight for her, if not in the literal sense of having sex with her. I think Stanford was probably frustrated with Anthony for not seeing that Stanny had tried the straight thing, and did like women, even if not in a sexual sense.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

Ah, the buring resentment I feel over the show breaking up Stanford and Marcus to saddle him with that shrieking harpy comes back to me now.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I liked Stanford, and I liked Anthony. I just thought that the "we're getting married" story in the second movie was just too easy and cliched. Wouldn't it have been FABULOUS if Stanford had fallen in love with and married someone else, and Anthony was the wedding consultant??? Now THAT's a storyline I would have loved to see!

21bored

21bored

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Let me say something about Carrie and Big's relationship in season 2. Carrie convinced herself that she was too complicated for Big and that's why he went to Natasha. That's basically true, but it's not necessarily a good thing. Someone like Big -- someone with money, options for women, and who's been around the block with a few women -- isn't looking for someone who's using him to work out some weird trust/commitment/validation issues like Carrie was. Natasha seemed simple, and easy, which is what attracted him to her.

And I think I've said this before, but much of Big's commitment issues really seemed more about Carrie desperately wanting his approval and validation. I think the fact that Big ceded the emotional territory to her proved he loved her, because any other man would've told her that while he loved her, it's unfair for her to make her insecurities his alleged struggles with commitment.

Big didn't tell her about possibly moving to Paris for a few months before he left and she made it seem like he was playing her hot and cold. Bitch, no he wasn't! He just didn't want to mention it before he knew anything definite. Probably because he knew you would go nuts about him supposedly wanting to leave you. And she said she wasn't even a factor in his decision-making process? What? It's HIS JOB he's talking about. He wasn't just going to Paris to eat croissants and watching the Eiffel Tower light show every night. What, he should stay in New York against any professional obligations he has (which she knows he has) for your ass? No!

Of course, this is the same chick who not only cheated on Aiden once, but couldn't bring herself to marry him no matter how emotionally available he made himself. So basically, Carrie just kind of sucked in the middle of the series.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

Hmm. That whole Anthony exchange seems weirder in the light of what Stanford said in the Dan Futterman ep (plus he mentions his reaction to seeing a photo/drawing of a naked woman, and it was something like, "Uh, NO!")

Kitty Bac, your explanation makes as much sense as anything else, though you might be giving lazy writing too much credit.
And I did like Anthony but hated the idea of the two of them together -- sloppy, sloppy writing. It was like when Frasier's writers made Roz pregnant. They needed a SL for Peri Gilpin & couldn't think of anything else. And here -- "What are we going to do with the supporting characters? I know: let's marry them off -- to each other!"

I think Steve joked that he was reading "Zen & the Art of Bartending" [a riff on"... of Motorcycle Maintenance"]. I actually bought into Steve's Scooby Doo-watching & other goofiness (as in, not totally out of nowhere). The man was smart but unmotivated, and he liked his toys. Watch a Kevin Smith movie or a Quentin Tarantino interview & you'll see the same type.

Edited by voiceover, May 30, 2012 @ 12:41 AM.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

And I think I've said this before, but much of Big's commitment issues really seemed more about Carrie desperately wanting his approval and validation

I've always thought that fandom as a whole was way too hard on Big actually. During season 1 especially Carrie came across as so pushy when she wanted to know about Big having been married before and schemed to meet his ex-wife, and when she follows him to church and is hurt when he won't introduce her to his Mother during their private time. Big never made any unfair promises and strung Carrie along, it just seemed to me like Carrie was always desperate to get to the next stage of a relationship and didn't stop to consider how Big himself might feel when they were just a few months into the relationship.

Even more ironic when she was the one panicking at Aiden wanting her to meet his parents, or when she was throwing up over the engagement ring and having a panic attack when wearing the wedding dress, it was fine then for Carrie to tell Aiden that she needed time and Aiden was almost painted as the bad guy for trying to rush the marriage and not trusting in Carrie

clady

clady

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I've always felt that Carrie was Aiden's Big. Most people have a Big sometime in their lives. Whether it works out or not is another story.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

And thank to someone above who mentioned that Carrie did mention a father that walked out on the family when she was little.

And in that Carrie diaries show I'm pretty sure she's being raised by her widowed father and has a kid sister. I can already see the show becoming like the 90210 revamp.

Whether it works out or not is another story.

In my experience it rarely works out, you can never change a Big. Looking back the relationship was so unhealthy and I didn't even dislike Big all that much or even blame him entirely. Her dependance on him and her need for validation through him was evident from the get go. She wasn't with that with any of the other guys she dated. She just seemed to always have an inferiority complex towards Big and she dealt with it by lashing out and/or making awful decisions ala the cheating.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

I'll have to give credit where (I feel) it's due. The scene where Charlotte is reading (to Carrie) Big & Natasha's wedding announcement from the Sunday paper tore me up. The pain that SJP was able to make me feel for her. "I'm the article next to the ads for penile implants." Oh my GOD, I still choke up when I see that episode. She did feel inferior in Big's world. SJP broke my heart in that one! I guess it hit a little too close to home for me and my "Big" - the one that got away, and even if it's for the better, it still hurts like hell.

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

The pain that SJP was able to make me feel for her. "I'm the article next to the ads for penile implants." Oh my GOD, I still choke up when I see that episode. She did feel inferior in Big's world. SJP broke my heart in that one!

Amen to this. It was such a brief and simple scene but one of the most beautifully acted by SJP during the whole series because it was so damn real. As much SJP annoyed me with her tics/loud screeching as the series wore on, she truly hit certain emotional scenes out of the park. Her two breakups each with Big and Aidan were gut wrenching in her portrayal. I could watch her open that door, make love to Big despite knowing they're done, tell him to leave, and watch him walk away from her window a zillion times and it never tires. The fight with Miranda outside the church before leaving for Paris also was well done. Still breaks my heart that the movies/SJP turned Carrie into such a cartoon - she had her super annoying moments during the series but there was always a lot of heart put into Carrie back then.