Sars

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 11:02 PM

Ooh, ooh, I'll start!

Shut up, Carrie.

bonster

bonster

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2004 @ 11:33 PM

I have just been watching the DVDs and noticed something that I never noticed before, even though I've watched the show the whole time. SJP has man hands!

And her head is out of proportion to her tiny little body as well.

Just felt the need to share these observations.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

I've commented several times in the big thread that I think she has old lady hands, not man hands. They're not out of proportion large to her body, and they're not thick, they're thin. And they look all dry and scaly like an old lady's hands would. As far as I know, there's no plastic surgery to make your hands look younger - they're the true age show-er. Take a gander at Joan Rivers' hands (if she's not wearing gloves).

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

Since Sex and the City has left the air, I have been watching the DVDs religiously. My friends and I are always like "Which Carrie do we want to see tonite?" Season 1 Carrie almost always wins. She dressed somewhat normal (for Carrie), wasn't prudish, and wasn't nearly as self-absorbed as she was by the end of the run. If only we could have had the Carrie Bradshaw attitude of season 1, the Carrie Bradshaw clothing of the last two episodes of season 4, and the hair of Carrie during the series finale and it would be perfect.

Im1HppyGrl

Im1HppyGrl

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

Hey all! It's so sad to be in this new forum ::sniff sniff:: (thanks for getting us going Sars, I kept looking for it, but was too timid to start it myself).

Has anyone read the new TVGuide that has an interview with Kim Catrall re: her supposed feud with SJP? I didn't want to buy it just for that and didn't have time in the grocery store to read it in line.

As far as DVD watching, I usually pick Season 4 when Carrie gets back together with Aidan, Sam dates the woman, Charlotte and Trey start "trying" and Mir's mom dies, etc. I'm not saying thats the best season, but a lot of those eps have some really great lines in them (plus I'm a sucker for Carrie and new-improved Aidan).

Edited by Im1HppyGrl, Mar 17, 2004 @ 4:28 PM.

PostToastie

PostToastie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

I always pick the episodes where she's with Big (and happy!)
I did start over with season one last night - I'm going to live the whole thing again!

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

Has anyone read the new TVGuide that has an interview with Kim Catrall re: her supposed feud with SJP? I didn't want to buy it just for that and didn't have time in the grocery store to read it in line.

I have the TVGuide and it has about four questions relating to that. Here's two of them:

TVG: There have been rumors that you and Sarah Jessica Parker don't get along.
KC: It's been an amazing challenge to overcome what people seem to want more than anything else-to see women at each other.

TVG: Did you and Sarah Jessica ever fight on set?
KC:
I never,ever had a fight with her. We had discussions. I care about the work. I'm playing this character,and if[something] doesn't feel right, you fight for it.

That second answer at least gave a little more insight than the first.

wdejesus79

wdejesus79

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 10:16 PM

I have the TV Guide issue, and found it to be a pretty boring piece. I just got the "Kiss & Tell" book and I loved it!!! It was so good. I read it on the plane back from Vegas, and couldn't put it down.

Suha

Suha

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2004 @ 11:15 PM

Did Kim say anything about a possible movie? I got the feeling that she is the only cast member who doesn't want to do it.

BTW the Kiss and Tell rocks.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 2:29 AM

So who liked the series ending? It was somewhat anti-climactic.

LACPrecious

LACPrecious

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 8:39 AM

I LOVED the finale! It showed more character growth then I expected. To say it was anti-climatic isn't really true. Carrie finally came full circle with Big, Miranda truly became part of her family, Samantha learned how to love, and Charlotte got everything she didn't know she wanted.

I was one of the viewers who didn't want the show tied up neatly with a bow, but for me, this was the perfect ending. For the first time all the girls are at peace, happy with themselves, each other, and their lives.

Maybe you just have to have watched the show from the beginning to think the ending was climatic...or just completly obsessed. I fall into both of these catagories!

stoneyburke

stoneyburke

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 9:05 AM

I hated the finale. I found both Carrie and Miranda to be traitors to their previously developed characters. They were suddenly both wimps who just had to accede to society's expectations of women. It was as if the writers had to tie the show up in a neat little bow. Just as Samantha had to be given cancer in order to slap her back to reality. Couldn't have a strong woman just whoring around and enjoying it, now could they?

Oh, and Miranda's dog did NOT get humped by another Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, so there's no way the puppies could have looked just.like.her. And, a dog show judge would not allow a dog in a competition with one leg shorter than the other and would certainly not award it a ribbon.

So I guess Big was going to change his spots, and settle down, and they were going to live happily ever after? And Miranda was going to take care of a baby and her husband and her mother in law and manage the house and a job?

Phui. The show was so wonderful and different, and ended sooo badly. For me.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 9:53 AM

I think I read somewhere (probably AOL News) that the movie is dead. It isn't going to happen. Which I think is a good thing, I honestly don't see that many people paying $10 to see it in the theatres. If they did a few movies for HBO, that makes more sense.

BondGirl74

BondGirl74

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 12:40 PM

Okay, it's not the same, but look at it this way--we diehards can post here all we want, about anything having to do with SATC, and nobody will tell us that we posted on the wrong thread!! :)

Funny, Sassandthecity, I have been doing the same thing. Had a couple days off last week--I should have been spring cleaning, getting caught up with school stuff, etc., but nooooo I spent 2 days watching Seasons 1 and 2!! LOL I am up to Season 3. I have a totally different perception on the Carrie/Big (Can I still call him that?) thing. When they sleep together in his bed while Natasha is on vacation, he is SOOO ready to end it with Natasha, or maybe that is just the feeling I get. He realizes he made the mistake, and is ready THEN to be with Carrie. (I think, anyway). She is the one that is scared to death, and I can't blame her, but I do think that he showed that he was ready. SHE is the reason she let herself get dragged around for six seasons!! God do I need to get a life or what? Not only am I surmising on the lives of TV characters, but surmising on things that have ALREADY HAPPENED on said programs? LOL

ETA: Did we ever find out what they were putting on the SATC Tubey thing?

Edited by BondGirl74, Mar 18, 2004 @ 12:42 PM.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 12:55 PM

The series finale basically makes it difficult to have a movie because many of the plot points which had been driving the series for years were resolved.

Im1HppyGrl

Im1HppyGrl

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

I thought finale was pitch-perfect. And that's just my two cents =)

And, yes, the new, updated (paperback, cheaper!) Kiss and Tell book is so great. I have read the whole thing cover to cover about twice. Its far more satisfying than the retrospective special they did before the finale (I'm sorry, but I don't give a rats ass that Star FREAKIN' Jones thinks she is Carrie- barf).

I'm relieved that the movie talks appear to be stalled if not totally dead. The series was already beginning to slip towards the end anyway and a movie would be capitalistic overkill. Please, MPK and SJP, leave well enough alone! The series finale ended on such a high note (for me at least) and a movie would have to dredge up more conflict in order to have a plot and I'd hate to see them mess with how its been left.

I just watched my season 2 DVD and saw the episode "La Doleur Exisique", which I hadn't seen in a loooong time. Everything in the old ep looks and feels different now looking back. Not really in a bad way though.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 1:12 PM

Bondgirl74, it is Sexy Tubey - Abso-fuckin-Tubey - suggested by none other than, BondGirl74 :-)

clainnyc

clainnyc

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Bondgirl74, I've been rewatching too and I just finished watching the affair episodes. When Big and Carrie are talking about his calling Nitasha, it frustrates me when Big asks her if she's in or out. I want Carrie to ask him what that means. Does he want things the way they were before he left for Paris? We know that in the long-term, that wasn't enough for Carrie. I just with they would have fleshed that out a bit because a part of me never bought that Carrie would be able to stay away from him. I mean, she couldn't manage to do it before....when she had so much to lose. I understand that for the purpose of the show, we had to see her meet other folks, screw over Aidan, etc., but I wanted a better explanation from Carrie.

I did love the Season 4 episodes (when Big brings her ballons on her b-day and when they go to the jazz club) where we get to see him become a real friend to her.

As for the finale, I still wish we'd had more Big time. Myself, I would have happily traded some of the scenes of Carrie looking bored and upset (like the part where we see the boat go by) for some more conversation and smooching with Big. How about a little montage of them finally enjoying Paris together....just for a few days??? That would have been my dream. : )

billabonged

billabonged

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 3:56 PM

we haven't had the finale in the UK yet, but I don't hold out much hope.
There seems to be an ideology that a woman really is better off settling down. Miranda's storyline pissed me off the most.
But as ever, Carrie was annoying. She moves to Paris, where she doesn't know the language, she's leaving behind a great career (which she really doesn't deserve), she knows one person and seems to have thought for about a day as to whether she should go. Fine - it is, after all, Paris. Be brave, carpe diem and all that. Except when she gets there, she's totally miserable, that's understandable to an extent but she didn't try to stick it out AT ALL. Or bother exploring Paris. Or looking for her crappy necklace. And Alexandr's (sp) daughter was a completely one dimensional character purely used as a plot device. Unless she shows any depth in the last episode.
and Kristin Davis' acting worsened in the last series.

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

I just watched my season 2 DVD and saw the episode "La Doleur Exisique", which I hadn't seen in a loooong time.

Ah, always makes me cry. The song at the end Anna by Gunnar Madsen was so good and so appropriate. They used some of Madsen's other stuff throughout the season.

I rewatched season 1 the other day. Something funny I noticed: those Manolo Blahnik mary janes Carrie practically has an orgasm about in the Vogue accessories closet ("I thought these were an urban shoe myth!")...Carrie was wearing those very shoes in the pilot episode. You can see them when Big is helping her pick up her purse.

Delilah O'Hara

Delilah O'Hara

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 4:46 PM

You know what? You can keep your Bigs and your Smiths and your Aidans. I don't care. I don't care that my friends think I'm weird. Harry is officially my favourite SatC man, ever. I've been loving Evan Handler ever since it's like, you know (yeah, I know) and every time I see him I love him more. Aside from being all hairy and gross sometimes (which didn't bother me), he was perfect, even putting up with Charlotte's constant freak-outs. Plus he loves pizza! He's right up there with Stanford as the most under-appreciated man on the show. Am I the only one feeling the love?

Sorry about that little rant there. The series is over. Finally I'm free!

Edited by Delilah O'Hara, Mar 18, 2004 @ 4:48 PM.

gal

gal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 5:07 PM

I was also annoyed by Miranda's ending -she gets to earn most of the money, raise a child, look after her immature husband, and scrub her mother-in-law's back in the bath - what happened to the independent, cynical, intelligent woman of the first few seasons. *sigh*

Carrie, I couldn't care less about. She just loved not getting what she wanted from Big, and that's what'll continue to happen in my head after the finale.

Harry is indeed adorable - he's the sort of guy I hoped Miranda would also find - he's easy-going, intelligent and funny. Far and away the most charming of the girls' long-term love interests.

Jet Black

Jet Black

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 6:45 PM

Salon wrote an article about Charlotte as the unsung hero of the series. Harry is definitely wonderful. Those dogs steal the show though.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 8:21 PM

I was also annoyed by Miranda's ending -she gets to earn most of the money, raise a child, look after her immature husband, and scrub her mother-in-law's back in the bath - what happened to the independent, cynical, intelligent woman of the first few seasons. *sigh*

Yeah, but like all the characters, she had to change a bit too. I kinda think it was nice to have Miranda be more loving and less cynical.

I agree, that Harry was the best S&TC man, period.

stoneyburke

stoneyburke

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 9:59 PM

Now that you're all mentioning him, I guess Harry was an interesting character. And don't forget that he, um, really knew how to please Charlotte. And Charlotte, for all her stupidity on putting a dog in heat on the ground in the presence of male dogs, was the least objectionable at the end. At least she didn't stray too much out of character.

On the other points, which have been talked about here and elsewhere, I don't agree. In the 'pre-game' show, the wardrobe lady was talking about the plethora of shoes that Carrie had, to the tune of $40K, yet she couldn't afford the down payment on her apartment. Well, Ms. Wardrobe Lady said "it's not a reality show".

Well, no it isn't. So I don't want to see Samantha get cancer. I want to see her continue to whore around and enjoy the heck out of it. I don't want to see some sappy MTM moment when everyone throws their hat, er, hair in the air. Bunk.

And Carrie? Carrie was an annoying, whiny little girl child right to the end. When she got that simpering look on her face with Mr. 'Beeg Trouble for Moose and Squirrel', I wanted to squeeze her cheeks shut. As has been noted, they talked French in France? You were left out of the conversation? Noooo, really? You couldn't find enough to do in France? You idiot. You couldn't get a cell phone to work in Paris? Why not? A woman falls out the window and everyone goes 'oh well'? Why?

And Miranda. She annoyed me most of all. So she moves to Brooklyn. And she keeps her job, I imagine. And squicky husband stands there like an idiot, having brought his obviously ailing mother home the same night she had a stroke or an episode of Alzheimer's, and the dear couple decide to have her move in? Huh? Anne Meara should have revolted at the stupidity of it. But oh yeah, let's suddenly have enpowered Miranda give up her personality to bathe an obviously ill woman who suddenly might panic in the water and what happens if her son started screaming at the same moment? Eh?

But that's right, this wasn't a reality show. So why all the freaking reality????

Mature? No, they did not have to mature, that was the whole point of the show, I thought, from the very beginning. These empowered, single, successful, smart, sexy, clever women could make a life for themselves in a man's world, take on a man when they wanted one, but not be beholding to a man like they were all Scarlett O'Hara. I'm surprised Carrie didn't start muttering 'fiddle dee dee' at the end. They could be alone without being lonely, they could end the show the way it started, they didn't have to 'Disney-fy' the four women like this was 1930 and Hays was still in charge of censorship. Clear Channel and Viacom are taking over enough of the media in America and homogenizing and sanitizing it to the point of prompting my gag reflex. I didn't need HBO and S&TC to cave too.

Nope, hated the ending.

queequeg925

queequeg925

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 10:22 PM

clainnyc, I've been re-watching seasons 1 to 3 on dvd, too. About that Natasha thing, do you still recall that she said she knew that Big & Carrie were having an affair, just not in their house? (forgot the ep title, the one with the scissors thing, sorry, me bad!). It just got me wondering: how'd she found out about it, when did she found out about it, if Big already knew that Natasha knew and was just mind-f*cking with Carrie again blah blah...Yeah I know, I have too much time in my hands.

Whatcha think about it though? :o)

Cake

Cake

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

And squicky husband stands there like an idiot, having brought his obviously ailing mother home the same night she had a stroke or an episode of Alzheimer's, and the dear couple decide to have her move in? Huh? Anne Meara should have revolted at the stupidity of it. But oh yeah, let's suddenly have enpowered Miranda give up her personality to bathe an obviously ill woman who suddenly might panic in the water and what happens if her son started screaming at the same moment? Eh?

I don't agree with this at all. I loved this portrayal of Miranda's life, because it was quite dark and complicated. She'd changed enough to let real intimacy in, and this is one of the prices of human intimacy -- sometimes you get stuck with something truly burdensome and difficult, because the people you love require it.

She bathed Steve's mom because she was filthy and needed to be cleaned. (And Magda was watching Brady, so that's a non-issue.) And the couple invited her into their home because Miranda realized that Steve would be devastated by putting his mother in a home, and they would share her care; Steve's mom was part of Miranda's responsibility, too, because they were a fmaily.

You seem to be complaining about two contradictory things: that somehow the ending was "sanitized" and yet it was "too realistic." To me, it was realistic in a appealingly unromantic way: Miranda was trapped, but that was because she'd chosen to give herself over to family life, and just as she'd always feared, this meant compromising and not always having control, in addition to the more positive aspects of family life.

In the big picture of the show's finale, I also had a problem with everyone ending up paired up. But I didn't mind the individual endings: I liked that they didn't keep the characters as static cartoons, that they let them go through very different, nuanced paths as the seasons went by.

Edited by Cake, Mar 18, 2004 @ 11:33 PM.

Miki The Brain

Miki The Brain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 1:33 AM

Cake, ITA. Miranda's storyline was really the only one in the finale that got to me. I adored that the formerly coldish, brusque Miranda would so openly offer her home to her husband's sick mother. It absolutely showed me that love had broken through her shell (we'd seen glimpses of that previously too, from the girls, like when her mother died). Such a lovely ending to a lovely character

stoneyburke

stoneyburke

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 7:41 AM

Did I say sanitized? Not sure. Yes, I am complaining about two things. That they felt they had to tie up all the loose ends, that they couldn't leave the women as they were.

Carrie just had to find her man, she couldn't be shown as strong and alone, with the prospect of finding her true love some day, she had to be shown involved in a completely unbelievable relationship with the Russian and then be saved by Big.

And the 'realism' of giving Samantha cancer to punish her for her whoring ways? Yes, I found this unpalatable. Just as Carrie could afford $40K of shoes but not her apartment was not realistic, I would have preferred Sam to continue to stay in character. I don't need progress in a sitcom. I don't need Monica and Chandler or Niles and Daphne to pair off, or Jamie to have a baby. I like the characters as they are presented to me in the beginning of a show, and the best shows, 'Seinfeld' for example, exit just as they started.

And re Miranda, I still don't buy for one minute that a woman with a baby and a house and a job and a husband can also take care of a woman who either has had a stroke or Alzheimers. Growth or not, it wasn't realistic. And if they suddenly wanted realism, then show the facts. The husband and wife should have sat down to discuss it, not just suddenly make up their mind while standing in a hallway. They should have been shown talking to healthcare professionals and going over the stresses of being a caregiver. And the fact that an Alzheimer's patient could possibly hurt themselves or the baby. Who was going to take care of the mother when Miranda was at work? Magda? Take care of the baby and the mother? Pay another professional to take care of her? Did they have all this much money? They wanted realism, then don't deal with it in a fantasy land Lifetime television manner.

Then again, the polls before the show ended showed that the majority of women viewers wanted Carrie to end up with Big. So it seems I'm in the minority anyway in hating the finale.

gal

gal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 9:24 AM

I kinda think it was nice to have Miranda be more loving and less cynical.

Loving would have been fine, but did she have to be paired off with a man obviously her intellectual inferior (money isn't the issue for me, it's intelligence), have his baby and look after his ailing mother? It would have been nicer, for me, to have had her paired off with someone more like Harry or the doctor she dated earlier in the last season - someone with whom the relationship would have been equal. Why couldn't she have ended the series being her independent, cynical, intelligent self but also in a relationship? I kinda think that the way her character ended made it seem as though you had to compromise your entire personality in order to be intimate with someone and that's not true. What irritated me is kinda epitomised by the episode in an earlier season that focussed on whether or not you could change a man, and the conclusion based around Miranda/Steve was that you couldn't but you could change a woman. All the compromise in the Miranda/Steve relationship has come from Mir and that makes me angry.

But oh yeah, let's suddenly have enpowered Miranda give up her personality to bathe an obviously ill woman

Absolutely!

Carrie just had to find her man, she couldn't be shown as strong and alone, with the prospect of finding her true love some day, she had to be shown involved in a completely unbelievable relationship with the Russian and then be saved by Big.

This didn't annoy me nearly as much. Well, Carrie in general has been extremely irritating for the past couple of seasons, but her ending fitted her character. She's been like this all the way through - she's incredibly passive and incapable of taking control over her own life. You can see this clearly when you think about her finances - not only did she have no savings when Aidan made her buy her apartment, she didn't even think she should have, she thought it was mean of Aiden to ask her to buy the place. As far as I could tell, she thought Aiden should give her the apartment just for being her. It's not at all odd, given that, that she should jump at the chance to be Alek's kept woman and then be rescued by Big. That's just Carrie. Yes, it's annoying, but it's not out of character.