College Basketball on CBS, ESPN, FOX Sports

• Please log in to reply

3295 replies to this topic

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

I don't watch too much college bball but this Griner chick has been getting a lot of coverage. I just wanted her Sports Science segment and the girl is a freak of nature. 6'8? She's 6'8??? DAMN! They talked about her wingspan (7ft +) and length of her hand (something like 9 inches). They say she has a longer reach than Andrew Bynum!! Insane! But what really had me cracking up was when they said if an opponent wants to get a shot off without Griner having a chance to block it, they have to make sure she's more than 14 feet away because her reach and stride is soo longg. LMAO!

I can't fault Griner's opponents from fouling the mess out of her, that's what their supposed to do when facing a dominant player like her. She's like the Shaq of women's bball. Its just part of competitive sports.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Off topic.

Edited by Doom, Dec 28, 2013 @ 2:49 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I feel horrible for Summit. It's really a shame that anyone has to go through that. But am I the only one who wondered why she was allowed to coach? Apparently she can't even do post game press conferences because she was nowhere to be found after the Baylor loss. I always wondered if she would ever be in a situation where she had to make a quick decision on the court, would she be able too? For example, there is 7 minutes left and their star player just picked up her 4th foul. Do you keep her in or not? She would have to calculate the score, the style of the game, how the team is playing, how effective they will be with or without her for the next 3-5 minutes, the chances of her fouling out. There are decisions like this all the time within the flow of the game and I'm supposed to believe she can handle that but not a post game press conference?

Edited by MV007, Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I feel horrible for Summit. It's really a shame that anyone has to go through that. But am I the only one who wondered why she was allowed to coach?....There are decisions like this all the time within the flow of the game and I'm supposed to believe she can handle that but not a post game press conference?

Press conferences can last for a long time and be tiring, that's much different than her having to make a decision. Also there's a difference between being on the sidelines/bench and actually coaching. That's the reason Bobby Bowden retired,, they would've let him continue to "coach" Florida State's football team but it would've been just for show and he wouldn't have any actual responsibilies.

I have to admit I barely watched any of the men's championship game last night but I'm eagerly anticapting the woman's championship game tonight. That Britney Griner is the female Shaq.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Off topic.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Off topic.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I can't believe Rick Majerus died and it was just a little blurb on the back of my sports page. I suppose it's because Utah hoops doesn't mean much in Syracuse but still.

Thoughts to his family. He was such a fun coach to watch.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

I am really going to miss the Big East. Even if it lives on in name (which wouldn't surprise me given the history of the brand) it will never be the same. I learned about basketball watching their games and still remember the early eighties battles as some of the best conference/league competition in any sport, ever.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Dec 29, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

It's December 29, I'm watching the CBS retrospective of the tourney and yet I still got chills when they played "One Shining Moment." And the guy who wrote seemed to be a pretty funny and charming cat.

I love college hoops. It was cute, though, how Greg Gumbel was all "who would have thought the tourney would be this huge? People just love the game."

I hate to break it to you, Greg, but I think gambling has an awful lot to do with it.

natalie wood

natalie wood

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I watched that CBS retrospective. I really enjoyed the coaches round table of sorts. Lots of excellent points made about going to college and enjoying the experience over doing the one and done thing. I get the lost opportunity to make $$ but for me Izzo and Self talking about how those college years are the best of your life really hit me. If I could only tell you how often I have said that to my own children. I realize it's not the case for everyone (myself included) but my children have the opportunity to just enjoy the experience. Go to school, study, and that's it. The only time in your adult life when you can be selfish and do what you want. Sadly, so many leave and I don't blame them but the percentage of players that make it is so small. By that time many are married, etc..... and have all the responsibilities that they might not have had if they had stayed in college. I might not have had it as easy as my children do but I can honestly say that those years were some of the best of my life. They have the rest of their lives to be responsible. Too bad they are too young to realize it. Plus, the average number of years for an NBA career is only six years. What are they going to do after that? If you saw the 30 for 30, "Broke" it makes you realize how much they need the education and maturation that four years of college gives them. All in all it really was a good look at college hoops from the perspective of coaches.

Edited by natalie wood, Jan 5, 2013 @ 1:32 PM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

I have never agreed with rules making players stay in school for a certain number of years. For better or worse, eighteen is the age that consenting parties can sign contracts. You can join the military, buy a house and get married at that age, so if a team is willing to sign you, you should be able to start your career just like anyone else.

Would a couple of years of college improve some guy's skills and make them better pros? In some cases, yes. Would that extra time help them make better financial decisions? I'm more skeptical on that point. Regardless, eighteen is the age that society allows people to try and sometimes fail, so those players should have that right as well.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

Would a couple of years of college improve some guy's skills and make them better pros? In some cases, yes. Would that extra time help them make better financial decisions? I'm more skeptical on that point. Regardless, eighteen is the age that society allows people to try and sometimes fail, so those players should have that right as well

While most of that is probably true, I think an employer has the right to say a prospective employee has to have a minimal amount of ability, education, etc. for a job. For example a person can't just want into a law firm and expect a job just because they're 18 or 21 or whatever.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 4, 2013 @ 2:23 PM.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

I don't think that analogy works. Teams draft players precisely because they think the player is qualified to do the job. The team is the one that starts the hiring process. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but no one was twisting Jordan's arm when he drafted Kwame Brown. In the end, mistakes like Brown resulted in a new age limit not for the welfare of the kids, but to keep any GM from looking as stupid as Jordan did.

My argument is kind of moot though because the Maurice Clarett case made this settled law. As long as the union signs off on it, such restrictions are legal. I just find it hypocritical that the leagues and the NCAA are hiding behind the ever popular "doing it for the kids" justification when in reality they are doing it primarily to protect the interests of their own institutions.

Edited by xaxat, Jan 4, 2013 @ 5:10 PM.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

For example a person can't just want into a law firm and expect a job just because they're 18 or 21 or whatever.

Yeah, but what if the person is already qualified? You can't tell me LeBron, Kobe, Garnett weren't qualified for the NBA at 18. And if you let some kids through, then you have to let all kids at least have the chance to try out.

I just wish the NBA would give the rule some actual teeth (make it a three-year rule like the NFL) or get rid of it altogether. The one-year rule is just stupid. Kids only have to stay eligible for ONE SEMESTER, not even a full year.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

The problem is you can't tell if a player is qualified until they're already in the league. For every Lebron, KG and Kobe you had a Taj "Red" McDavid, Leon Smith and Johnathen Bender. Guys who had no business attempting to go pro and might have turned into something or at least gotten an education if they had had to go to college.

I agree, one year is stupid. Personally I'd like to see at least two years although three would be optimal.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

The problem is you can't tell if a player is qualified until they're already in the league.

Well, that's the risk any employer takes when they hire someone.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

I disagree, that's why there are resumes. It can't guarantee success but it can at least give an employer a better idea. If a person has a degree in that chosen field and/or a couple of years of work experience in that field the odds of them doing better than someone who has never worked in that field and has never studied in it are much greater which is why employers ask for a resume. And spending time playing college basketball, even for just one year, is like work experience. Plenty of guys who were highly touted coming out of High School and would've been top draft picks if they had been allowed to head straight for the NBA were busts in college. And thus the NBA saved themselves a lot of money and heartache by not drafting those guys after being able to see the couldn't even handle that level of competion.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 6, 2013 @ 11:36 AM.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

NBA teams do have draft workouts and tryouts. They've seen all these players on tape. It's not like they're drafting a kid blind.

Plenty of highly touted guys coming out of college (heck, even three years of college) have been busts too.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

I wonder what the over/under would be on shots of Ryan Kelly sitting on the Duke bench with a boot on during tomorrow's game?

He is such a loss for the Devils. I'm nervous that their first game without him full time is against NC State.

SophiaD

SophiaD

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:42 AM

Just had my first-ever exposure (known, that is) to Bill Walton the other night at the Cal - UWashington game. Wow. From Bob Dylan to John Wooden, to whatever. Fascinating guy, but not what I would normally expect out of a commentator. For those with more knowledge - is he always like this?

(Was very happy that UW won, especially since all of the commentators keep telling us how bad we are on the road).

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:31 PM

Yeah, ever since Walton starred at UCLA back in the '70's he's always danced to the beat of his own drummer.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 12, 2013 @ 12:59 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Stop it ESPN. Stop saying "you never leave your feet to pass the basketball", and then lauding the 30 times a game it happens. Stop it stop it stop it stop.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:07 AM

Vitale and Tirico were great in the Michigan/Ohio State game. The atmosphere was electric (and the jerseys were too).

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:54 AM

That was an awesome game between Ohio State and Michigan last night. Just a well-played game between two really good teams. As much as I hate to admit it, it's fun watching Michigan not suck at basketball, and John Beilein seems like a non-evil guy.

Michigan's highlighter yellow socks and shoes were hideous, though.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 1:41 AM

Just had my first-ever exposure (known, that is) to Bill Walton the other night at the Cal - UWashington game. Wow. From Bob Dylan to John Wooden, to whatever. Fascinating guy, but not what I would normally expect out of a commentator. For those with more knowledge - is he always like this?

I love Bill Walton. Even when he says things I don't agree with, I find him hysterical. Listening to him talk smack about Dick Vitale's stupidity during the Arizona-Stanford game tonight had be nodding my head in agreement and giggling. His hyperbole cracks me up. He's my favorite color commentator, and it's not even close.

Edited by BDArizona, Feb 7, 2013 @ 1:42 AM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

WATCH: Duke fans take it too far with 'grandma' chant aimed at NC State's Lewis

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

THANK YOU, Seth Greenburg, for chastising the OK State fans for storming the court. Storming the court is getting beyond lame.

Speaking of lame, the Maryland fans are doing that obnoxious chant the Ravens fans were doing during the Super Bowl. I hated it then, I hate it now.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

I used to be much more ornery about kids storming the court -- now, eh. Let the college kids have their fun. As long as nobody gets hurt, that is.

On another note -- I get it, the conference shifts signal the new reality of college sports and we all have to deal with it. But it's still weird to consider that that could have been Duke's last game at Maryland. The death of all these decades-old rivalries is just plain sad -- Pittsburgh/WVU, Syracuse/Georgetown, Missouri/Kansas. That's part of what makes college sports so great -- the passion and the tradition, including the tradition of the rivalries stretching back many many years.

Oh, well. At least K got punked. There's always a silver lining.

Edited by azazel, Feb 17, 2013 @ 12:18 AM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

#1 UConn vs #3 Baylor and it gets shunted to ESPN2. For West Virginia vs (10)K State. I think that should be reversed.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

#1 UConn vs #3 Baylor and it gets shunted to ESPN2. For West Virginia vs (10)K State. I think that should be reversed.

Like it or not, the women's game is no where near as popular overall as the men's game so I can't blame ESPN for airing what they believe will get them better ratings.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 19, 2013 @ 12:27 PM.