College Basketball on CBS, ESPN, FOX Sports

• Please log in to reply

3295 replies to this topic

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

I don't think I would watch that. I don't like the fact that the entire success of a season lies in a berth in the tourney. Obviously it's a great accomplishment to get there, but these guys are barely adults and don't deserve that kind of media coverage.

Is March Madness Live really the only way to watch the games when you can't watch on TV? Because Flash doesn't work on the iPhone so that will suck hardcore.

Do we have to pay for online access now? Because I remember watching the games for free online last year.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Do we have to pay for online access now? Because I remember watching the games for free online last year.

It's $3.99 for the full package if your TV provider isn't already partnered with the NCAA.

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

Any thoughts about the seemingly obviously bad calls made against UNC-Asheville? I know refs are human but damn.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

The lane violation was the correct call. The out of bounds call was one of the worst I've ever seen, and there was a horrible non-call on a goaltend earlier that should have gone against Syracuse.

Not a bad first day of games, although no real notable upsets. I think everyone in the world (Syracuse fans excepted) was rooting for UNC-Asheville to win that game.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Completely boring games so far. UCONN lost, but not a real shock. The one "upset" really wasn't one. VCU, who made the final four last year, beating Wichita state, another mid major, isn't that exciting.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

The one "upset" really wasn't one. VCU, who made the final four last year, beating Wichita state, another mid major, isn't that exciting.

I disagree, it still was a 12th seed beating a 5th seed plus VCU wouldn't have made the NCAA tourney if they hadn't won their conference tourney.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

it still was a 12th seed beating a 5th seed

Yeah, but the 12-5 is always the "upset" that everyone calls for, that's why it wasn't really an upset.

NC State beat San Diego State today in the 11-6 game and that wasn't really an upset either, given that Vegas called it.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

The play-by-play commentary has been very dull. I feel like I'm watching a golf tournament, not a kids' basketball tournament. Part of the problem is the lack of close finishes, but the commentators themselves are just getting old and tired. No Gus Johnson also hurts.

Calvada

Calvada

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

Who are the two guys calling the games from The Pit? Usually I recognize the names, or the voices, but I've got no clue who they were. Very irritating - not calling half the action because they were constantly telling us that we can check the scores from the others games at the top of our screen, or telling us to turn to CBS or TBS or TruTV for the other games. If I didn't have a rooting interesting in the Wisconsin/Montana game I would have done just that! During that game, twice they referred to Badger players from the state of Minneapolis. The one guy's got this awful habit of referring to every player as Mr. Taylor, Mr. Evans, etc. And good golly, we got it, the Montana head coach is tall. How unusual for a basketball coach to have some height!

I think the Big 10 Network should loan out Gus Johnson to call the games involving Big 10 teams.

RedJed

RedJed

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Sure, my bracket might as well be tossed into the garbage, but that was a nice win for Norfolk State. Upsets are always fun.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

During that game, twice they referred to Badger players from the state of Minneapolis.

That was hilarious. Apparently Jordan Taylor is from Bloomington, Minneapolis. I think that was Bob Wentzel, who was absolutely brutal.

Well, we got our upset, and it was a big one!

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Well, we got our upset, and it was a big one!

Yeah, OH yeah. And a second 15/2 seed upset! Only 5 in the history of the tourney, and then 2 in one day.

I was happy for Clark Kellogg that Ohio beat Michigan, and it was great to have him call Lehigh beating Duke.

So, I'm just gonna go ahead and ball up my brackets and toss them in the trash. You guys?

Edited by Doom, Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:45 PM.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

That was fun. First Mizzou, then Michigan, then Duke. And then Purdue-St. Mary's went down to the wire as well. That's why I love March!

So, I'm just gonna go ahead and ball up my brackets and toss them in the trash. You guys?

I don't imagine a lot of people picked Norfolk State and Lehigh, so I'm hanging on to mine for now...

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Now those are upsets.

NC State fans finally have something to be proud of for the first time in years. They won and Duke is out

gator12

gator12

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

It March Madness, today was much better than yesterday

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I love X, but I have to disagree with Clark. ND kind of got a raw deal at the end there. I didn't think that guy went across the line before the ball was released. Before it hit the rim, yeah, but not before the release. And then the intentional foul, really? Wow. I think Clark is the bees knees but I don't think both of those calls were fair.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

The lane violation in the Xavier game didn't need to be called because the shot was made anyway. The intentional foul needed to be called, though. It affected the inbounds play. That said, I hate the rule because it's way too harsh.

A lot of those arenas looked very empty. I wish the NCAA would actually bracket teams geographically. It wouldn't bother me if teams from the same conference all ended up in the same bracket. That's a small price to pay to actually have a packed arena for once.

Edited by superpole2000, Mar 17, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

It's a hard situation because everyone knows that ND was going to foul. Like Barkley said later, yes, they were intending to foul. But give me a break. Being a ref in any sport isn't just making calls. They could have said, "ok guys don't make us call an intentional foul." That might be much, but still. Recognize the situation. You don't have to swallow the whistle, but still.

Don't the refs talk to the captains before the game? Wouldn't that be a time to remind them? Guys if there's a have-to-foul scenario, let's remember where the line is, and this is what it is.

I didn't even want ND to win. I didn't want the refs to factor into the decision.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I don't imagine a lot of people picked Norfolk State and Lehigh, so I'm hanging on to mine for now...

I'm sure a lot of people chose one of those teams, but probably not both. If they did, then they probably chose Georgetown & Kansas to lose, which will offset Duke & Mizzou. Huge gamble to get everything right, so assuming that, people should be fine. Now, if you had Duke & Mizzou going deep, that's another story!

I actually considered picking Lehigh over Duke, since I didn't expect Duke to go far. Duke has been one and done before, and this year, they struggled at home several times. However, I figured that Coach K is too legendary to allow his team to fall at Number 2. Sadly, with foul trouble, and no Ryan Kelly, it wasn't meant to be.

So I stuck with Duke, but similar to Mizzou, not through Sweet Sixteen, meaning that the result would be the same (with Florida and Xavier knocking off the eventual winner of the 15/2 game). The only hit I took was not picking Lehigh; that's it.

So, 13 Sweet Sixteen Teams, and all my Elite 8 teams are still alive. Chances are that'll die today, so there's that.

Still, I had a great laugh at Jim Nantz and Charles Barkley and how they were trying to fight off their emotions!

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

A lot of those arenas looked very empty. I wish the NCAA would actually bracket teams geographically.

They do in the early rounds. That's the whole purpose of the pod system. I believe that host teams are not allowed to play in their home city (which is why Creighton, for example, was sent to Greensboro).

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

I'm sure a lot of people chose one of those teams, but probably not both

Some people picked one of those teams to win but not "a lot". Coming into this tournament a #12 seed has beaten a #2 seed only four times since the field was expanded to 64 teams back in 1984 and it hasn't happened since 2001.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

After 4 days of some really good basketball games, I'm seeing Manning is starting to dominate the headlines this afternoon and soon after, the inevitable, what is Tebow going to do?!. Which is really too bad. I like football, but this is college basketball time.

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

WRT the women's tourney, I'm giving ESPN a big fat D tonight. The only thing keeping it from being an F is that Kara Lawson and Trey Wingo make a great in studio pair, with Carolyn Peck rounding out the pretty but still not confident in her speaking.

It's called whip around coverage because you are supposed to cycle through all the games and show parts of each one. They started with Arkansas/ Texas A&M, then moved to DePaul / Tennessee. And stayed there. The DP/Tenn game was spread by 10 points for a long time, while Gonzaga / Miami was within a point or two, and so was Ark/T-A&M. But they stayed with the Tennessee game until Gonzaga was over, and A&M had less than 2 mintues to play. I get that Tennessee is a marquee team, and with what's going on with Pat Summitt, they want to give it a lot of attention. But I saw less than 30 seconds of Gonzaga, which was an upset, and only about a minute of Texas A&M, which consdering they are defending Natl champs and the game went down to the wire, is inexcusable.

It's called whip-around, so WHIP AROUND!!!!!

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

It's only been two years and it's hard to believe we once lived at a time when we just had to rely on the mercy and skill of a CBS control room guy showing us what game we were watching. As masterful as they were, the thrill of picking up on a hot game and abandoning a looming dud is terrific. I fully admit I was completely wrong about how potentially cumbersome such a system was. My one complaint this year is it seemed like games were a bit too staggered--this is March Madness, we do not need 4+ hours of only one possible game to watch, even though most of those games were entertaining to watch all the way through. Also, I wasn't so much a fan of the late games on Sunday, although I'm sure this was a ratings move.

The studio crew was a bit more comfortable this time around--I'd like to see them dredge up more interesting "special guests" than the parade of also-ran Big East coaches (current coaches ain't gonna rip into anyone, let's get some more wandering-from-the-range potential players here). No real complaints here (oddly enough, it seemed like despite Barkley and Kenny, Matt Winer's crew of Steve Smith and Seth Davis seemed to descend into goofiness more often).

My take on announcing crews

Nantz/Kellogg: Still good, but Clark needs to work on his stuff a bit more. In tight games, he sometimes substitutes yelling and breezy admiration for play instead of analysis. This team will benefit when I assume it will be reunited with Steve Kerr to provide a fresh pair of eyes to the situation. Clark is good at seeming likeable, but he can up his game.

Eagle/Spanarkel: Again, a solid B, B- type team. Eagle is fine, although he does press to make puns and jokes a bit too much (not as bad as some of the other people on here).

Lundquist/Raftery: I think Verne improved a bit from last year, where I found him a bit tiresome and annoying. Raftery occasionally straddles the line between caricature and analyst, but I will always love him. The one area where this team might want to improve is to cut down a bit on just pointlessly mentioning old coaches, players, stories. These guys have a ton of history in sports and that's cool, but sometimes it feels like they're just hitting us with old memories sans context sometimes.

Brando/Gminski: If Eagle presses to make puns and jokes a bit too much, Brando plunges headlong into it, and my tolerance level for him sometimes is reached. That said, Timmy always seems to pull great games and close finishes.

Harlan/Miller/Elmore: The loss of Gus has put Kevin Harlan more in the spotlight, which is fine. Without Gus, Harlan is an excellent #3 option who can call superb games. The combo of Miller and Elmore are kind of tolerable as their excesses (Elmore not saying much interesting, Miller saying too much) kind of cancel out. While I think Miller's college basketball acumen could be upped, I like him for his willingness to go off range a bit and anyone who pisses Jim Boeheim off can't be too bad. This team has fine chemistry.

Albert/Kerr: Well, Marv still calls a fine game, and Kerr seems to have improved quite a bit from his initial forays into the college game. I don't have a ton to say about this team; it was good.

Dedes/Wenzel: Man, Bob Wenzel continues to suck. Rarely says anything insightful and has an odd speaking habit in which you wonder if he has forgotten someone's name (where he will call Bo Ryan "the coach of Wisconsin" for some reason). Dedes is fine. Surely there are better color options out there.

Anderson/Bonner: The dulcet tones of Brian Anderson seem perfectly geared for TBS baseball, which means I occasionally feel like he's calling the wrong game in basketball, but in seriousness, he's not that bad. This team doesn't have a particular style in my opinion, although I also feel like I didn't see them a lot this weekend.

In terms of the actual tournament, it's been enjoyable and dramatic if not overly crazy (the two big upsets aside and even then only Missouri's is truly jaw-dropping). Barring a further run from Ohio U (which would be just ka-bonkers), this appears to be a status quo type tournament in response to last year's madness (lots of successful programs and coaches in the Sweet Sixteen). The one key thing I note is that opposed to last year the first four days didn't bleed out a ton of potential Final Four teams--three of the four divisions are 3/4 chalk (with the losses being Duke, Florida State, and Missouri--nice talent here, but I think Missouri was the only serious national contender there). The one "crazy" division still has #1 and #2 and two double digit seeds, but quite frankly some of the weaker 3-6 type seeds (anyone really project Georgetown, Michigan, Temple, or San Diego State to get to the Final Four?).

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 5:43 AM

Anderson/Bonner: The dulcet tones of Brian Anderson seem perfectly geared for TBS baseball, which means I occasionally feel like he's calling the wrong game in basketball, but in seriousness, he's not that bad

As a baseball fanatic I love Brian Anderson but wasn't sure about his ability to call a basketball game, feeling he'd be out of his element, but I agree with you that he's doing a decent job.

My Verne Lundquist love goes back decades so the man can do no wrong in my opinion.

Still missing Gus Johnson, though.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

The only thing keeping it from being an F is that Kara Lawson

Kara makes everything better. Her and Clark Kellogg are the best to me because when they are in the studio they look like reporters or analysts, but when they are on the court they look like (and are) ballers.

Edited by Doom, Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:12 PM.

SeattleStorm

SeattleStorm

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Regarding the women's NCAA tournament, and specifically the University of Delaware's Elena Delle Donne, this is one of the rare cases where the player lived up to the hype...and then some. Wow, I was so impressed with her game. Averaging 36.5 ppg over the two games her team played, she reminded me of a young Lauren Jackson, especially with her ability to hit the three-pointer. I was also impressed by her bringing the ball up the court, something LJ doesn't have to do (but when you have a point-guard teammate named Sue Bird, arguably the best point guard ever, why would you want to???)

Unfortunately, after rolling past their first opponent (Arkansas Little Rock), in which Delle Donne nearly outscored the opposing team (she had 39 points, and sat out the last eight minutes), while Arkansas Little Rock scored all of 42 points as a team, they fell in their next game. Here's where better coaching would have helped. The color commentator guy (Fran Faschillo) kept observing how they need to be better spaced, since the other team double-teamed and triple-teamed Delle Donne. In cases like this, there's always going to be an open player. But Delaware couldn't adjust, and her teammates couldn't step up. I hate to say this, because I understand her reasons for leaving Connecticut, but had she been playing for Geno, this never would have happened. Geno would have had a game plan to counter anything like that. Plus UConn is so balanced, they don't allow for any one player being triple-teamed.

Still, so impressed with her game, and can't wait to see her at the next level. Tony and Mike (from PTI) were disappointed we won't see a showdown between Delle Donne and Brittney Griner in this year's tournament. After seeing both teams play, I can honestly say that Baylor would have certainly won, because of better coaching, and because of better overall team play. But I am equally convinced that Delle Donne is the much better player (much more versatile), and will have a stronger career. I mean Griner's dunk was cool, to be fair, but I'm much more impressed with a player who plays every position on the floor, and can hit from the outside.

Can't wait to see what's next for her.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Off topic.

Edited by Doom, Dec 28, 2013 @ 2:49 PM.

SeattleStorm

SeattleStorm

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

I think if she dunks again in this tourney, she should hang on the rim. Just so she can be the first (maybe) to get a technical for hanging on the rim after a dunk.

I would love this if the opponent made the two free throws, and Baylor ended up losing by one point. This would be perfect.

I guess I really should upgrade my impression of the dunk, but this goes back to the brawl that Brittney was involved in. Lost a lot of respect for her.

Edited by SeattleStorm, Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Off topic.

Edited by Doom, Dec 28, 2013 @ 2:49 PM.