Reflections on All Seasons

• Please log in to reply

579 replies to this topic

SPen

SPen

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:09 AM

I'd disagree with Bob. It seemed to me to be a lot like Gabon was cast and planned to force an older winner more than any season until Nicaragua - nearly a quarter of the cast was over 45, he and Gillian were the only ones with anything resembling survival experience, the challenges weren't too physical (and those before the merge that were physical often had a puzzle component he worked on instead), and most of the younger people were so obnoxious they cancelled each other out.

Maybe Vecepia? Or Jenna?

I think what really made Bob unlikely was the decision to allow the cast to pick their own tribes, and TPTB constantly bailing out Fang for constantly making stupid decisions. I thought Bob was a pretty likely winner with a few episodes remaining though, provided he could get there, because Susie herself threw away any chance she had of winning the game and the jury wasn't going to vote for Sugar anyway.

Jenna's game was very unappreciated. Vecepia is probably the most unlikely winner because she did everything in her power to throw the game away at every turn. She made so many huge errors but was able to survive them time after time. I know she's tried to get back onto the show for a long time but I'm glad that casting hasn't pulled the trigger. Chris, too, has been trying to play again this entire time and I'm shocked that they never brought him back. He's honestly one of the best winners ever, severely underrated, and would probably be a lock to go deep in any season because he's just physically useful enough to not be deemed a challenge liability.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

I was watching season one on TVGN and I was wondering when was the last season that they had closing speeches after the jury questions at the final Tribal Council.  What I mean is they had opening arguments, jury questions, and then the closing speech.   I know that it probably would not be possible now that they have a final three instead of two.

MilVlondett

MilVlondett

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

Cook Islands was the last season with closing statements, I believe.  If not that, then the one before it, Exile Island.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they still had closing statements but choose not to show them unless something interesting happens. I think they are important, as somebody like a Sherri who gets shut-out from speaking by the Jury could have another chance to speak without being interrupted by entitled jurors. A lot of FTC gets left on the editing room floor, and closing statements are probably usually just reiteration of what's been shown/said.

thehepburn

thehepburn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

I remember that when Probst realized that Coach was gonna lose S23, he gave them an op for closing statements. Coach was able to get Rick's vote with it but it wasn't enough.

Trek

Trek

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

I didn't care for the redemption island aspect but Boston Rob was far too entertaining for it to be the worst season of survivor ever to me. In fact it's my third favorite right behind Survivor Allstars and Cook Islands season.

An interesting aspect of RI is that despite the level of hate thrown its way and the backlash against B Rob by the hardcore (B Rob has always been/and remains popular with the mainstream) it was really the last and only season to have a spike in interest in the period between HvV and now by that very same crowd. (If you are among the few thousand who post about Survivor on sites like this and Sucks among the 10 million odd that just watches - then you are hard core).

For example, each episode thread of RI on TWOP regurarily cleared 20-25 pages filled with detailed back and forth debates on strategy while the seasons before were in the high-teens and if you look at Blood v Water - that had a hard time even getting up to 5 pages worth of posts. If you are reading this then you are a frequenter of Survivor forums and forum activity is a good thing.  Just that reason alone means RI needs to be ranked much higher than it is.  Whether it is love or hate, it is still better than complete apathy from lack of interest and/or brain stimulation that the other seasons in the modern era are serving up based on the stats.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 6:05 PM

Besides this season, when was the last season that two male contestants were the first two eliminated from the game?

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2014 @ 10:16 PM

Cook Islands, maybe? Sekou and Billy.

RaceBirch

RaceBirch

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2014 @ 7:25 PM

If you're going by general exits from the game -- like, not exactly voted out, but actually leaving the game back-to-back -- then actually, the last season to do that was Blood vs. Water, with Rupert losing at Redemption Island and Colton quitting the week after.

JonTheAussiBoy2

JonTheAussiBoy2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 7, 2014 @ 9:34 PM

Cook Islands was the only other -  they discussed it on Survivor Oz last week with Survivor: Africa's Diane Ogden. This is the first time that it's been three men in a row.