Telenovelas

• Please log in to reply

895 replies to this topic

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

La tormenta ended this weekend.  Today, Pecados ajenos, a Miami novela from 2007, took over its time slot on Telemundo's digital subchannel Exitos.  It's good fun.  Lorena Rojas and Mauricio Islas are the protags; with Catherine Siachoque, Sonya Smith, drunk Ariel Lopez Padilla, and Lupita Ferrer.  Unfortunately, Exitos often cuts out the opening credits (about the only edit they make, so can't complain too much), so we may not get to see Padilla do his patented entrada dramatic spin - that's what You Tube is for http://youtu.be/R-x7f5MpSuY?t=24s

The young uns include Mariana Torres, Sofia Lama when she was going by Stamatiades, Jencarlos Canela; even Ximena Duque is around in I think her first novela role.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Oh, man.  I loved Pecados ajenos, as totally fucked up as it was--it was pretty much my gateway novela, almost entirely because of Ariel Lopez Padilla and the overwhelming Pretty (Lorena Rojas, Catherine Siachoque's breasts, crazy-ass Sonya Smith, and Lupita Ferrer).  I just wish Exitos had English captioning going on, but oh well!

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

Univision's network upfront came and went last week, come to think of it.  Apart from confirming plans to air four novelas most of us could have guessed were coming (first and foremost William Levy's La tempestad, but also Ariadne Diaz's La mujer de vendaval; Libre para amarte with Gloria Trevi and Gabriel Soto; and Mentir para vivir with Mayrin Villanueva and David Zepeda), they're also theoretically bringing over a few Televisa sitcoms...a couple of RTI and Caracol projects (perhaps most notably what sounds like an anthology series with Alicia Machado as a famous madam)...and the Pedro Torres-produced Gossip Girl Acapulco.

Okay, and there was the reported pilot for a Spanish-language version of Breaking Bad that Sony Pictures Television shot, but nobody knows if that's in fact going to series.  I just desperately want to know who headlined that.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 7:06 PM

I just wish Exitos had English captioning going on, but oh well!

I don't know if this is a local affiliate issue or what, but I have to say that my Exitos station has had English captions available for the whole line up of reruns since December.

Telemundo also had their upfronts.

Novelas already in production and coming soon include a US version of a recent Chilean telenovela called Dama y Obrero.  It will star Ana Layevska - who is finally getting a protagonist role at Telemundo after stealing all the other novelas she's been in at the network.  Not crazy for jose Luis Resendez as the male lead or the whole Madrastra reunion; nor have I cared much for Fabian Rios in villain roles, where he is all shark-toothed sneers.  Promos are already airing on the network.  It will replace Pasion Prohibida.

From their press release: "Dama y Obrero” features Ignacia, a young engineer who works in a large construction company owned by her boyfriend Tomás. Ignacia and Tomás have been together for a long time and finally decide to get married, although Ignacia could never imagine the kind of man Tomás really is. Days before the wedding, they have a heated argument, and Ignacia decides to leave town and have some time to herself. From there, she meets Pedro, a man who appears to be wealthy and with whom she spends an unforgettable weekend. However, Ignacia knows she is only living a dream, a pause in her life, so the next morning, Pedro wakes up to find a note from Ignacia but with no trace of how to find her. Regretting what has happened, she goes back home where Tomás is waiting for her with an offer for an impressive promotion at his company and expects that this will make her forgive him. When Ignacia, now in a powerful position, discovers that Pedro is an average construction worker, the two will find that despite having every reason on earth not to be together, they will love each other despite prejudice, differences and rejection that threaten to pull them apart."

Their press release mentions the new thriller that is supposed to star Gaby Espino and Aaron Diaz, right now titled Santa Diabla. "“Santa Diabla” (WT) centers on a dramatic twist of fate that leads Santa Martinez to live the worst of nightmares—the loss of her husband, following an obsessed woman’s terrible plot to destroy him. Santa is driven to devise a plan for the “perfect” revenge. The flaw in her plan will arise when she realizes that love is, once again, knocking on her door. That is when she will have to choose whether to sacrifice love or the revenge she fought to have."

Missing from the press material and upfronts is the remake of the Brazilian Fina Estampa called Marido en Alquiler, that is starring sonya Smith, Juan Soler, and Maritza Rodriguez.

Here's their English press release.

Telemundo also had an internet event where they showed some of the pilot presentations for possible future 2013-2014 novelas.  keep in mind the cast almost always changes from these short promos.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cwpNIWWU-10

To skip Adamari Lopez's nattering and you owe it to yourself to do so (she was a much better actress than she is presenter), go to:

5:41 mark for pilot presentation of La Impostora with Litzy.

8:17 mark for Dama y obrero.

11:11 mark for Reina de Corazones with Eugenio Siller, Jorge Luis Pila and the wretched Adriana Fonseca.

14:51 mark for more fun with drugs with Camelia la Tejana with a surprising Sara Maldonado - surprising considering her bad history with the network with Aurora.

Edited by argee2, May 27, 2013 @ 7:08 PM.

oratorus

oratorus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 2:49 AM

So, do you guys think Univision is ever going to bother airing Rosario? And with Unimas Las Bandidas?

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Rosario is/was a joint Univision/Venevision project (I suspect in name only--see also Corazón apasionado), so sooner or later Uni's going to bust it out.  No doubt in a sucky timeslot, but they'll get to it.  Las Bandidas, now...I don't know.  Since it's not an in-house Televisa work, if they ever decide to air it it'll probably be burned off in Unimas' 10pm timeslot or exiled to Galavision or something.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

Univision is so weird with their programming choices.  They have a ton of original programs piling up, yet they continue to bombard their channels with reruns.  They just stuck Una familia con suerte in their midnight slot, and that one goes on forever, so that slot is taken into next year.  UniMas is even funnier - they do a big name change rebranding thing and then run Camila and Amigas y rivales for the 20th time and moldy Mujer, casos de vida real episodes.

On UniMas, Los heroes del norte and Sin tetas no hay paraiso end in a couple weeks.  They haven't announced what will take those slots, but I did see a promo with scenes from three of the programs mentioned at their upfronts and saying they were coming this summer: the soccer series La Seleccion, the boxing series Cloroformo, and the don't-know-what-it-is series but it seems like an anthology series with outer frame story involving Alicia Machado as La Madame.

Press release description: "This tantalizing new series is based on a book… a little black book, to be exact. One owned by “La Madame,” who runs a network of beautiful women and established models who offer their services to prominent men. This is a book full of some very interesting stories that will finally be told each night by… “La Madame.” Starring former Miss Universe Alicia Machado."

Alicia Machado has been filming the thing for about 2 months and is still filming it, so she must be doing more than just the Rod Serling thing of introducing the stories.  RTI 's website says La Madame is 40 episodes.  Roberto Mateos is also apparently in this thing as I saw a photo of him filming with Alicia.

Edited by argee2, May 30, 2013 @ 2:45 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

Jonathan Islas is in La Madame as well, though I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.  It appears to be loosely based on an actual book written by one "Madame Rochy," so our suspicion that it's an anthology series of some sort may still be in play--but I'm still there for Alicia Machado.

And Telemundo has started airing a Caracol project called La ruta blanca as of yesterday; it's apparently Yet Another Narconovela, if over on the Traffic side of the fence (something about five different stories all dealing with cocaine in some way or another from what I saw of it).

Edited by redshirtx, Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:17 PM.

oratorus

oratorus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

Is Telemundo only airing one episode per week of La ruta blanca? My DVR says the next one is next Saturday.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

It looks like it, yes; I guess it's cheaper than continuing to run Nitido on Saturdays (Telemundo apparently killed that show a month ago).

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

Pasion Prohibida is in ultimos capitulos and La Patrona is in ultimas semanas at Telemundo.  The network is rolling out their promos for Dama y Obrero and Marido en Alquiler with a glammed-down Sonya Smith.  Also, Carlos Ponce has been added to the cast of the upcoming Gaby Espino/Aaron Diaz 10pm thriller.

And Venevision-Miami and Univision have started production on the next novela they'll probably wind up shelving: Cosita Linda.  It's going to star Christian Meier and Ana Lorena Sanchez, who was one of the high school girls on Relaciones Peligrosas.  Seems a little nuts to me to cast that actress as the lead after just one supporting juvenile role - a character that disappeared for a big chunk of the novela as they changed focus off the young people for the adults (the boy who played her love interest on that show, Danilo Carrera (Max) is also in Cosita, but he's buried down the cast list in the press materials) - but I suppose Univision knows what they're doing as hits like El Talisman and Rosario prove.

Cast features the usual Miami novela suspects who we've seen in things like Corazon Apasionado and El Talisman and Telemundo stuff.  I imagine either Zuleyka Rivera or Carolina Tejera will be the villainess, maybe both; Alma Delfina, Henry Zakka, Adrian di Monti, Alberto Salaberri, Jason Canela, Tali Duclaud, Liliana Rodriguez.  And would it be a Vene/Uni production without Sandra Itzel.

Press release plot info: "The original story of “Cosita Linda” was written by Leonardo Padron, the renowned author of the acclaimed telenovela “Eva Luna,” which garnered widespread national and international success, and it develops in the city of Los Angeles, California, where the Lujan and Rincon families live in almost opposite worlds. The Lujan’s live a privileged life among luxury, enjoying the benefits of high-class economic status; while the Rincon’s are a middle-class family, simple, hard-working and close-knit. Fate - and the love between Diego Lujan (Christian Meier) and Ana Rincon (Ana Lorena Sanchez) - will lead these two very different families to cross paths, uniting them forever."

Poor Leonardo Padron getting his name tossed in there just because he wrote the original versions this and Eva Luna were based on.

I think Univision is making a big mistake doing these basically traditional novela adaptations.  They get enough traditionales from Televisa, and Uni's versions can't possibly compete with the production values of those imports.  What Uni should be doing is original, modern American stories for the 10 pm ET slot.  The worst thing for their original telenovela production efforst was Eva Luna being a hit, so now they are just trying to make another Eva Luna instead of looking to do something more ambitious and outside the box.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

I guess Venevision decided to give Guy Ecker a break, God bless him...so now Christian Meier gets to mack on a hot twentysomething protagonista.  You so crazy, Venevision...then again, David Zepeda's playing twentysomethings, so...

I think Univision is making a big mistake doing these basically traditional novela adaptations.  They get enough traditionales from Televisa, and Uni's versions can't possibly compete with the production values of those imports.  What Uni should be doing is original, modern American stories for the 10 pm ET slot.  The worst thing for their original telenovela production efforts was Eva Luna being a hit, so now they are just trying to make another Eva Luna instead of looking to do something more ambitious and outside the box.

To some degree I can't fault Univision for chasing the success they had with Eva; it was one of their biggest hits ever, AIUI, let alone it being a quasi-in-house project.  I can't help thinking Telemundo's been doing the same thing WRT La Reina del Sur, if not in-house.  However, Uni's one genuinely serious attempt to catch the lightning again--the spectacularly whacked-out El Talisman--misfired ratings-wise (though I absolutely adore it for its epic levels of UCG); Corazon apasionado was exiled to daytime from the start, even though Uni's name wasn't on it; and we still don't know why the hell they haven't aired Rosario yet in the States.

OTOH, we don't know what these writers would try to do for a "less traditional" novela.  (IIRC, a couple of Venevision projects were announced at the past couple of upfronts that sounded fairly different than Uni's traditional fare--but they never saw the light of day.)  So, if it were me, I'd probably get them to do one project--say, 90 episodes--and then drop it on UniMas in either the 9pm or 10pm EDT timeslot, give it some modest promotion, and see what happens.

EDIT: and Guy Ecker's absence is explained--he's going to do a remake of something called Mi segunda madre with Susana Gonzalez for Televisa, under the auspice of the guy who produced Un refugio por el amor.

Edited by redshirtx, Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:46 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

Univision has started airing a "July" promo for La tempestad, which likely means it's going to follow up Amores verdaderos; if my math is correct AV should wrap up on or before July 26.  This is also on the heels of Mariana Seoane and Arturo Peniche joining the show's cast, apparently as a new bad girl and her father.

Over on Telemundo Dama y obrero is going to take over Pasión Prohibida's 8pm EDT timeslot on June 24.  It looks like Marido en alquiler is indeed penciled in for July, though being Telemundo they probably won't lock down a premiere date until the week La Patrona wraps up.  (TBH I'm more concerned about Maritza Rodriguez going with dark hair as the villain of the piece--albeit wow, it really brings out the bitch in her eyes--and the general Corona de lagrimas vibe of the promos, let alone the supposed presence of Miguel Varoni.)

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 2:53 AM

RE: Levy's hair (or is it "hair" ?) in the photo in that linked article - **shakes head**

Hope the new villainess doesn't mean they are dropping Laura Carmine as she's probably the only person I was looking forward to on that show.

I guess La tempestad is doing pretty poorly in Mexico.  Probably irrelevant to its prospects for success in the US as I think Levy might be more popular here than there, though I'm not basing that on any data or facts as I don't feel like looking up the ratings right now.

Word-of-mouth via internet or other means doesn't seem to have any effect regarding telenovelas in Mexico vs US.  A big hit in Mexico like Corazon Indomable is doing pretty poorly in the US (though I do think its ratings will pick up during the "transformation" and "revenge" stage).

Another decent performer in MExico, Porque el amor manda, has never really caught on here.  It occasionally climbs over 3.6 million, but never over 4 million, and it only seems to get decent numbers for a couple days a week with two other days approaching El Talismanesque lows.  That is still better than Que Bonito Amor, which never rises above the low 3 millions.

(Of course, just to demonstrate the continued dominance of Univision, a flop like Que Bonito Amor still gets over a million more viewers a night than a Telemundo hit like El Senor de los Cielos.)

Actually, I have to confess enjoying Que Bonito Amor far more than I should - absolutely everything is monstrously wrong with the thing, but it's harmless tosh and the music is good.  And Univision is mercifully cutting it down a bit - we're getting about an episode and a half every night (it has almost caught up with Porque el amor manda in episode number and at that rate will finish up well before it) - this is a novela where you want it cut down.  And the plotlines are such a mess it hardly matters - it's an everything and the kitchen sink novela.  One recent episode had a public service announcement story featuring guest star Daniela Romo talking about breast cancer (actually a very respectful, dignified and effective couple of scenes), literally intercut with two bozo comic relief bartenders spilling cremains over their heads (goodbye dignity), intercut with a Mariachi we barely know whose barely had any individual scenes learning his mother died and instanteously arriving at her grave to sing "Ave Maria."  Jorge Salinas and Danna Garcia are both too old for their roles - apparently Danna's character isn't just a virgin, she's never even had a boyfriend before from what I can tell.  And Salinas had to say with a straight face the only women who ever mattered to him in his life before meeting his Bonita were his mother and his sister.  Really? Really?!  Then there's Malillany Marin channeling Lola Ponce.  She's a spoiled rich girl who loves the finer things in life yet seems obsessed with sleeping with Mariachis.  And Karla Alvarez as a hooker with a heart of gold.  She's actually good, but her wig is not.

Other news:
UniMas is now saying in their promos that Cloroformo, La Seleccion and La Madame are coming in August.  There's a crapload of soccer right now, so probably a good decision to avoid the preemptions.

Telemundo daytime is now airing 90 minute installments of Amar de Nuevo, the 2011 Amarte Asi sequel featuring the same boy who played Frijolito, the little boy from Maid en Manhattan, and the little redhead girl from Corazon Valiente.  The protags are Patricia Garza and Eduardo Rodriguez; villain is Jullye Giliberti who it is nice to see again.

After that, they are airing two hours of a current Colombian novela called 5 Viudas Sueltas.  That's actually a pretty good, serious novela about 5 women who see their significant others go to prison - some rightly, some wrongly; but the two hours a day mean I've fallen hopelessly behind on it already.  Has some good people in it like Coraima Torres and Angelica Blandon.

And on MundoFox, Tres Caines is in its final episodes.  They are running promos for Comando Elite, the newest in what Colombian press are dubbing "Tombo-novelas" - novelas about lives of cops.  They seem to be alternating these with the narco-novelas in Colombia right now on RCN.  Comando Elite looks like it might have an interesting structure - from what I've read, it will tell 7 individual mini-series type stories, each following the takedown of different bad guy, each lasting about 10 episodes, the series lasting 80 episodes in total.

Here's the press release from MundoFox of their upcoming programming.  A bunch more Colombian drug shows including a third season of El Capo.  A few remakes including one of the Chilean novela El laberinto de Alicia (guess Telemundo doesn't have exclusive rights to the remaking of Chilean novelas.)

Their new series include Luna, which is Barbara Mori's return to TV - I don't think she's done any TV since Rubi, kind of a surprise.  She won't do novelas because they take too long, but this is a weekly series of 10-13 episodes.  From press release: "“Luna”– The most anticipated return of Bárbara Mori to television comes in this provocative series about a woman who is a psychologist by day and DJ with a cult by night – unaware of her multiple personality disorder caused by the tragic loss of her twin sister."

They also having a really whacked out series called Cumbia Ninja - press release:  "This original series is set in a Latin American slum controlled by narcos, where young idealist Hache and his buddies cannot take it any longer and come up with a very particular way to clean up the streets where they live, with the help of Xiang Wu, an old Chinese ninja master."

It stars Ricardo Abarca, who I don't know; and Brenda Asnicar, last seen in Corazon Valiente, as the girl.  Also Ruddy Rodriguez, Cristina Umana and Christian Meier - who has somehow managed to appear in every show this year.  Guy's getting more gigs than Cesar Evora.

Edited by argee2, Jun 13, 2013 @ 3:01 AM.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

Over on the Univision corporate website, there are a bunch of English teaser trailers for their upcoming programming: the four big Televisa novelas (La Tempestad, Libre para amarte, Mentir para vivir and La mujer del vendaval) as well as some of the UniMas stuff including their Breaking Bad - Metastasis, Gossip Gir Acapulco, La viuda negra and La madame.  http://corporate.uni...o/#.UcjQX5yClX8

Also, I saw the 6 minute trailer for the upcoming La Madame, it looks to be an outright series.  Never seen a woman smile so much to be pimping women as Alicia Machado does in those 6 minutes - she loves her job.  From the trailer, Jessica Sanjuan, who played a teen pop star whose 15 minutes of fame were up in Niñas mal, looks to have a big role in La Madame as one of the prostitutes who gets caught up in a scandal when a politician client dies while she is with him; Roberto Mateos is the second credited in cast after Alicia, he's playing a crime capo yet again.

oratorus

oratorus

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

Do you have a link to the long Madame trailer?

Apprentice79

Apprentice79

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 6:07 PM

I'am rewatching xica da silva on youtube. I have to say what a beautiful and tragic novela. What a wonderful cast..The Brazilians know how to bring it in a soap..It is truly one of my favorites of all time. Tais Araujo was a true find.. what an actress! to think that she was only 17, when she filmed the novela... There was never a false moment with her ,She lit up the screen with her costars.. She was a pioneer being the first Black woman in Brazil to headline a novela in Latin America. She was always humble for her success and being the voice for Afro-Latinos, who are often ignored and marginalized in Latin America. I watched  Xica da silva dubbed in Spanish years ago and now I'am rewatching it in Portuguese..What a novela! Que Saudade! Are there any Xica fans on this board? What did you guys think about this telenovela?

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

I saw some of Xica when it aired in the US - I think it aired on Azteca, which seems really really hard to believe, but that's my memory.  I don't really like watching dubbed novelas, and I'm sure Azteca butchered the show in editing, but what I saw was very good.  Tais Araujo is a stunning woman and it is gratyfing to see her career continue on with a wide diversity of roles.  They show Cobras & Lagartos quite often on cable, with Araujo and Lazaro Ramos.  I've seen some of a really weird series O Dentista Mascarado - which I guess was considered a disaster - both critically and commercially - but she was really cool in it.

Telemundo is doing their little people's choice award show again - the Premios Tu Mundo.  Voting can be done here: http://msnlatino.tel..._Tu_Mundo/votas

The nominees.

Novela

Escobar: El patrón del mal

Pasión prohibida

La Patrona

Rosa Diamante

El Rostro de la venganza

El señor de los cielos

Male protagonist

Andrés Parra (Escobar)

David Chocarro (ERDLV)

Jencarlos Canela (PP)

Jorge Luis Pila (LP)

Mauricio Ochmann (RD)

Rafael Amaya (ESDLC)

Female protagonist

Aracely Arámbula (LP)
Carla Hernández (RD)

Cecilia Navia (Escobar)

Marlene Favela (ERDLV)

Mónica Spear (PP)

Ximena Herrera (ESDLC)

Male villain

Carlos Mariño (Escobar)

Christian de la Campa (LP)

Constanino Costas (RD)

Henry Zakka (PP)

Luis Xavier Cavazos (RD)

Manuel Balbi (RD)

Robinson Díaz (ESDLC)

Tomás Goros (LP)

Female villain

Marlene Favela (ERDLV)

Begoña Narváez (RD)

Christian Bach (LP)

Felicia Mercado (ERDLV)

Fernanda del Castillo (ESDLC)

Luciana Silveira (RD)

Rebecca Jones (PP)

Sara Corrales (ESDLC)

Supporting actress

Alexandra de la Mora (LP)

Angélica Celaya (ESDLC)

Carmen Aub (PP)

Cynthia Olavarría (ERDLV)

Kimberly Dos Ramos (ERDLV)

Paloma Márquez (ERDLV)

Sabrina Seara (PP)

Sofía Lama (RD)

Supporting actor

Diego Soldano (LP)

Gonzalo García Vivanco (LP)
Jorge Concejo (PP)

José Guillermo Cortines (ERDLV)

Mario Loría (LP)

Pepe Gámez (PP)

Raúl Méndez (ESDLC)

Tomás Goros (LP)

Couple

Arámbula/Pila (LP)
Bach/Campa (LP)
Bach/Soldano (LP)

Olvarría/Islas (ERDLV)

Zinat/Loría (LP)

Rodríguez/Chocarro (ERDLV)

Favela/Chocarro (ERDLV)

Amaya/Herrera (ESDLC)

Primera actriz

Christian Bach (LP)

Felicia Mercado (ERDLV)

Rebecca Jonnes (PP)

Chela Arias (ERDLV)

Kenia Gascón (LP)

Lupita Ferrer (RD)

Rebeca Manríquez (ERDLV)

Surya MacGregor (LP)

Primer actor

Constantino Costas (RD)

Henry Zakka (PP)
Luis Xavier Cavazos (RD)

Guillermo Quintanilla (ESDLC)

Javier Díaz Dueñas (LP)

Nicolás Montero (Escobar)

Roberto Vander (PP)

Saúl Lisazo (ERDLV)

Things that make you go "hmm," - Canela and Spear (and Hernandez / Ochmann, for that matter) aren't nominated for best couple.

I posted the trailer for La Madame on You Tube.  See it while you can as Univision and Televisa are pretty stingy, even with promotional materials like trailers (which you would think the whole point is to get them in front of as many eyes as possible, but whatever).

Bit of other news.  According to Deadline, CW is developing American version of Juana la Virgen.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 3:01 AM

That Deadline article also notes in passing that ABC's fall series Killer Women--which, going off the promos, looks like a girly Walker, Texas Ranger--is an adaptation of the original Argentine Mujeres asesinas.  I don't even know how to deal with that; if it really is, the promos are so far off the mark (deliberately?) it's scary.

And having never seen Juana la Virgen...bizarrely, from the basic premise I could see some Hollywood hack making a black comedy out of it.  It being a CW project actually does, however, make it worse.

Telemundo, when apparently not pimping El rostro de la venganza to death on its awards show (and yeah, argee, the absence of Canela/Spear from the best couple nominations makes me go "hmm..." too) surprisingly has set a premiere date for Marido en alquiler: Wednesday, July 10.  La Patrona wraps up the night before.

And having watched that trailer for La Madame....OMFG.  It looks schizophrenic and cheesy as all get out--kind of like Decisiones--and for some reason I kept irrationally waiting for Alicia Machado's titular Madame to go all blaxploitation on everybody.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Exitos apparently wrapped up its runs of Marina and La mujer en el espejo last week; this week they started airing Corazón Partido (Danna Garcia, Jose Angel Llamas) and La viuda de Blanco (Itati Cantoral, Francisco Gattorno).

And as of last month Univision and Venevision are reportedly shooting their next collaborative project...which will probably never see the light of day in the States either (rumor is UniMas might get it, but God only knows with these guys)...called Los secretos de Lucia (Iran Castillo, Juan Pablo Raba, Maritza Bustamante, Julian Gil).  I've seen conflicting reports about when it actually started production; it was apparently initially announced late last year and an awesomely cheesy promo trailer was released in January, but at last report it's shooting in Miami now.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

Los secretos de Lucia is supposed to be a "super-production," i.e., expensive, so if any Venezuelan production will get shown here, it is that one.  It is also Venevision's first Venezuelan HD production.  It is being sold as an action novela with 80 percent is shot on location, mostly in Caracas, though some in Miami.  If nothing else, they have a really active official Facebook page with a ton of behind the scenes photos.

More and more, Venezuela is relying on foreign money to help finance their productions.  It is leading to some bizarre casting, like Los secretos de Lucia with Iran Castillo as the title character - maybe they thought they were getting Kate del Castillo?

Las bandidas - which was shot in Venezuela at old RCTV and is produced by RTI (Colombia) and Televisa (Mexico) has a Mexican lead actor, Marco Mendez, and a Colombian lead actress, Ana Lucia Dominguez.

Dulce Amargo is shot in Venezuela, produced by Televen (Venezuela), CadenaTres (Mexico) and Telemundo (USA), stars Scarlet Ortiz - a Venezuelan but really international name at this point working mostly out of Miami with forays into Colombia and Mexico; Mexican lead in Erik Hayser, a bunch of familiar Venezuelan actors like Roxana Diaz, and for some reason, Alejandra Sandoval slips in there, a Colombian.

These casts remind of me the internationl co-productions in film back in the 1960s, like those Sergio Leone westerns where they got American stars like Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef, Italian actors as most of the bad guys, Spanish actors filling out the supporting roles, but then, because there is German money involved as well, you got people like Marianne Koch and Klaus Kinski showing up as well.

The Televen/CadenaTres/Telemundo alliance is supposed to be in planning stage of a new one tentatively called Nora, La Emprendedora, rumored to be starring Monica Spear and perhaps Ruddy Rodriguez and Julian Gil in a bit.  They are looking for a Mexican leading man, seemingly a prerquisite for these co-productions.

RE: ABC's Killer Women.  I can't even imagine the most tenuous connection to Mujeres asesinas.  When I read the synopsis for Killer Women, I assumed it was based on some other Argentine show and there was some mistake in translation.  Then I thought there must be some other Mujeres asesinas I don't know about.  How they go from a dark anthology series about women who murder - actually a decent little program in so far as it allows a showcase for its actresses to do things and go places they usually don't get to on typical telenovelas - how that becomes a corny procedural - Molly Parker, Texas Ranger, blows the mind.

MundoFox is airing Muy Pronto promos for Secretos del Paraiso, which looks to be La Maldición del Paraíso from their Upfronts press release – "A woman finds herself trapped in a love triangle between two brothers, not knowing that she is repeating her mother’s tragic destiny."

It stars Juan Pablo Espinosa who was El Secretario, Natalia Duran as the female lead, Silvia de Dios as her mother, Estefania Borge, and Ernesto Benjumea who is in a bunch of Colombian shows that have aired recently here - 5 Viudas Sueltas, La Mariposa, Escobar.

They have an open spot on the schedule at 4 pm ET now that A Mano Limpia II has ended.  They have a stopgap rerun there right now of King DavidSecretos could also go at 8pm when Samson and Delilah ends.  They can't have too many more of these Brazilian Bible mini series left, can they?  They are bit po-faced for my taste.  Give me CB De Mille anyday.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 4:26 PM

Monica Spear possibly getting a new show is a good thing, though supposedly one Guillermo Garcia (who?) is being listed as her co-star from what I've read.

And as per a promo last night UniMas is premiering Cloroformo on Friday, August 9, in the 10pm EDT timeslot.  I'm surprised by that--if La Madame is coming next month as well, I'd have thought that would be a lock for that slot due to its content.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 7:41 PM

Univision is finally dusting off Cachito de Cielo.  Promos have it debuting Monday, July 22 at 2pm ET.  Pedro Fernandez and Maite Perroni are an odd pair, but I'm curous to see it.  At the very least, it is not based on another novela, but apparently teh Warren Beatty/Julie Christie movie Heaven Can Wait; which itself was based on Here Comes Mr. Jordan, which was a 1940s movie adaptation of the play Heaven Can Wait.

It got bad ratings in Mexico, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad novela; anymore than good ratings mean a novela is good (see Corazon Indomable - not a bad show, but not by anybody's standards, I imagine, an actually good show.)

UniMas is also running a lot of promos for La Seleccion.  I imagine it will be a success in Colombia, but how much interest is there in the US in Colombia's 1990s national soccer team?

Monica Spear possibly getting a new show is a good thing, though supposedly one Guillermo Garcia (who?) is being listed as her co-star from what I've read

Amazingly, there is a whole Wiki page set up for the new show, but nothing on that page has been confirmed.  (Who spends the time putting up all that stuff?  And no, I'm presuming the new show isn't going to feature Roberto Mateos, David Chocarro, Maria Fernada Yepes (wtf), let alone the last six names on their cast list: Eliana Lopez, Gianella Neyra (wtf), Concetta Lo Dolce (hasn't worked in 10 years), Chantal Baudaux (hasn't worked in 4 years), Wanda D'Isidoro (now a Miami actress))

All that is known is Ibsen Martinez is writing a new telenovela for Televen/CadenaTres/Telemundo tentatively titled Nora, la emprendedora, and Ibsen, from an interview, wants Monica Spear to star, and Guillermo Garcia and Veronica Schneider may have roles.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

And as per a promo last night UniMas is premiering Cloroformo on Friday, August 9, in the 10pm EDT timeslot.  I'm surprised by that--if La Madame is coming next month as well, I'd have thought that would be a lock for that slot due to its content.

Cloroformo is only 13 episodes long.  According to promos, La Seleccion, a bio-novela about the 1990s Colombian soccer team premieres on UniMas on August 5 at 9pm ET.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2013 @ 1:30 AM

Oho.  So in all likelihood La Madame will immediately follow Cloroformo, which barring soccer screwing it up would put it at no earlier than August 26.  As for La Seleccion: I'm morbidly curious to see if they delve into the whole narco side of affairs towards the end of that period.

And this might be good for a laugh: Angelli Nesma is gearing up to produce a modern update of Bodas de odio (last remade as the epic Amor real)...with Angelique Boyer and Sebastian Rulli.  But hey, if Aracely Arambula could do Corazon salvaje...

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2013 @ 4:33 AM

Ah, Bodas de odio, back when Christian Bach was still acting and not just sleepwalking her way to a paycheck as she's done through La Patrona.  It's sad to watch, but as poor as I find ARacely Arambula's performance (and it may be an unpopular opinion as I've heard others confess to like what she's doing on La Patrona), at least you can see she is trying her best, which is preferable to the mummified non-acting Bach is doing.  Even in these last episodes, as Bach's character has seen her entire world fall apart and everyone in her life leave her - she still can't work up more than a shrug, sticking to the bored sing-song lilt delivery she's employed since day one.

Funny you mention Corazon Salvaje as it was the show probably responisble for transitioning Angelique Boyer to lead roles - Aracely was so laughably bad in that one viewers (the few that stuck with it) were forced to seek out a different heroine and Angelique's gypsy girl sufficed.

I confess finding Angelique the most intriguing of the Televisa lead actresses under 30.  I'm not even sure she can act, but there's something a little off, a little kooky - something of the diva, the bitch, a standoffishness, some morsel of danger that I find interesting.  The other girls (Ana Brenda, Maite, Zuria, Ariadne) are all more readibly likable, more accessable - and while they are all talented - I find them a bit interchangeable.

Watching QUE BONITO AMOR - the heroine played by Danna Garcia is pregant - the revelation is made to her accompanied on the soundtrack by a crying baby.  Meanwhile, the hero and baby's father played by Jorge Salinas, separated from her and unaware he's knocked her up, started experiencing her morning sickness.  Oh Mejia, don't ever change!

They have an open spot on the schedule at 4 pm ET now that A Mano Limpia II has ended.  They have a stopgap rerun there right now of King DavidSecretos could also go at 8pm when Samson and Delilah ends.  They can't have too many more of these Brazilian Bible mini series left, can they?  They are bit po-faced for my taste.  Give me CB De Mille anyday.

Looks like Secreto del Paraiso will be getting a prime time slot.  Promo says it debuts July 22 at 8 pm ET on MundoFox.  It is the most traditional telenovela MundoFox has put in prime time since the network launched with Los Exitosos Perez in that slot.

I wish the channel was getting better ratings as I do think some of their programming is worthwhile and its nice to have other options.  It seems both them and UniMas are having difficulty getting a foothold (amazingly, it was only 3 years ago that UniMas, back when they were Telefutura, was beating Telemundo in prime time with El Capo, now they are only getting like half Telemundo's ratings).

One thing I hate is MundoFox got rid of their same night reruns for their prime time shows.  I was only able to keep up with La Mariposa by recording the post prime time airing.  They have late night, early morning reruns of most of their other novelas, but not the prime time ones.  And their website is terribly inconsistent in posting episodes.  They haven't posted any episodes yet of Comando Elite.

Also on MundoFox, Amo de Casa is in, as MundoFox promos put it, "Ultimos Episodios."  No word yet what will replace it.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

The 2005 Colombian telenovela LOS REYES starts Wednesday, July 17 at 2pm ET on MundoFox. It's the Colombian version of the story that would be done a few years later in Mexico as UNA FAMILIA CON SUERTE - a poor/rich comedy clash.

Watching DAMA Y OBRERO as I'm a fan of Ana Layevska - it's a pleasant enough, by the numbers novela, but it's difficult to see what the hook is. After only three weeks, its ratings are getting dangerously low - wonder if it will be getting an overhaul soon. (Would it be a Layevska/Telemundo novela if it didn't - EL FANTASMA DE ELENA & RELACIONES PELIGROSAS both had major changes, MI CORAZON INSISTE was so schizo nobody could tell if that one was overhauled as well.)

MARIDO EN ALQUILER had the lowest Telemundo premiere since EL ROSTRO DE LA VENGANZA. I liked the first two episodes okay although it is severely overpopulated. Sonya Smith is a good actress, but I think she's probably miscast. In a big melodrama soap scene like the confrontation with her crappy son, she's wonderful. But she is far too beautiful for the role - there isn't a hint of androgyny, she's nowhere near butch or coarse enough. Her manly movement becomes rather comical - like Nathan Lane's character in The Birdcage, she is never more feminine than when she is acting macho.

Edited by argee2, Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:26 PM.

DanaMB

DanaMB

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

I tried to watch Dama Y Obrero, but like you said, it didn't hook me. I picked up Marido last night and so far I'm interested enough to record it.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Here we go: La tempestad hits Univision on July 29, taking the 9pm EDT timeslot from the exiting Amores verdaderos.  So we're indeed going from Eduardo Yanez's awesome Soul Glo frizz/mullet to William Levy aping Brad Pitt in Troy...I'm kind of hoping this is a trainwreck on wax, since at least you can kind of enjoy those.

And Rumor Control is saying that UniMas is going to follow up its run of Maria la del barrio with something called El niño que vino del mar.  And yet they still won't drop Rosario anywhere...

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

Is anybody else underwhelmed by the pronto promos for Santa Diabla?  Oooh, Gaby Espino's something something out for revenge...ooh, Aaron Diaz is playing the saxophone.  If I watch this, it'll probably only be for evil Carlos Ponce and Ximena Duque.

mun2 is apparently rerunning Relaciones peligrosas, though I'm not certain of their schedule for it.  It might be weekly, weird as that is.

And, possibly taking a cue from Televisa, the final episode of Amores verdaderos will air on Sunday, July 28.  First time I can recall Univision ever dumping a first-run novela finale to weekends, though whether or not it's a one-shot or a precedent remains to be seen...