Telenovelas

• Please log in to reply

896 replies to this topic

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

MundoFox apparently did a soft launch on various affiliates this morning (a Dallas UHF indie station switched over at 6am CDT), though the apparent nationwide hard launch is still due on August 13. Similarly to SOI and Exitos, as expected their entire schedule at this point is largely RCN-produced novelas we've already seen: Merlina, mujer divina, La hija del mariachi, the already mentioned Kdabra, El capo on Sunday, and so on.

Meanwhile, Univision and Venevision started production yesterday on their third straight novela with Guy Ecker as protagonist, Rosario. (They got Aaron Diaz, Frances Ondiviela, Lorena Rojas and Lupita Jones this time around. I'll allow it.) Timing-wise, since this is likely meant for Stateside consumption first, I imagine we'll get it after Abismo de Pasion wraps up in the fall...unless they're crazy enough to dump it from the start in an afternoon timeslot.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I'm getting the MundoFox test signal also. The telenovelas they are currently airing, all RCN novelas from the last few years, are just placeholders for when the signal officially goes "live" on August 13, so they'll all be getting pulled in a couple weeks for newer shows. From the promos running on the network, I've got MundoFox's schedule looking something like this:

12pm/11c - El Joe, La Leyenda (salsa bio)
1pm/12c - Las Santisimas (Sex and the City inspired novela)
2pm/1c - Pobres Rico (rich/poor comedy, with Paola Rey, who I haven't seen since her Telemundo days)
3pm/2c - Las Detectivas y el Victor (also with Paola Rey, and one of my favs Gregorio Pernia as Victor)
4pm/3c - A Mano limpio
???
6pm/5 - MundoFox News
6:30pm/5:30c - Betty La Fea
7pm/6c - Minute to win it
8pm/7c - Los exitosos Perez
9pm/8c - El capo 2
10pm/9c - ???? - probably local news?
10:30pm - Kdabra 2

So while the schedule is overwhelmingly RCN novelas - which makes sense as they are Fox's partner in this channel - the primetime novela is Mexican cast (Jaime Camil, Ludwika Paleta, Veronica Castro, Jose Ron) "Los exitosos Perez." There must be some rights issue as to why Univision didn't get this one, which I thought was a Televisa novela, but I guess may have had co-production companies. I'm also not surprised MundoFox is putting Jaime Camil opposite himself by airing this show the same hour Univision is airing "Por ella...Soy Eva."

I guess the 10:30pm slot will be filled with series rather than novelas. Monday will be "Kdabra 2," apparently Tuesday will be a Colombian series called "Lynch," starring another of my favs, Natalia Oreiro. I'm betting at some point, this hour will also have "Bones" and "House" reruns dubbed into Spanish.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

La que no podia amar... great final episode from start to finish. Lots of secrets coming out, emotions on overload, and a grand wedding to top it all off.

I'm surprised at who Ana Paula ended up marrying. I would have figured she would have opted to start life anew considering both candidates showed less then stellar character. Has there ever been a telenovela where the female character opts to lead a happy and content life without a man? I think that would be an interesting twist that doesnt seem to be done too often.

Quite surprised that Vanessa reformed... and wow did Cynthia really go off the deep end especially at the end! I shouldnt be too surprised considering her over the top reaction to esteban (correct name) accidently killing her child hood horse.

I wonder if Amore Bravio will be as good as La que no podia amar was? I guess I'll find out tomorrow

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Univision has yet to officially confirm it, but from appearances the upcoming Rosario is going to be doomed to an afternoon timeslot. That said, looking at Venevision's internal trailer for it that might be a good thing; it looks like it might have some great UCG potential--not El Talisman great, but perhaps Corazon apasionado...

(EDIT: Un refugio para el amor is in ultimas semanas mode, so there's a chance Rosario could inherit that timeslot. Not necessarily a large chance, since the VV/Uni joint projects thus far have always started out in the 8pm EDT timeslot, but it's there.)

Abismo de pasion appears to be wrapping up on November 2, just in time for Election Day. Amores Verdaderos (Erika Buenfil, Eduardo Yanez, Eiza Gonzalez, Sebastian Rulli) takes over its timeslot the following Wednesday, November 7.

Telemundo, meanwhile, has started airing muy pronto promos for their heralded Aracely Arambula project, La Patrona (Jorge Luis Pila, Christian Bach), which is apparently a period piece/remake of a 1985 novela called La Dueña and will likely replace the outgoing Corazon valiente. They're trying to sell Aracely frigging Arambula as a coal miner. It's not working.

Edited by redshirtx, Oct 22, 2012 @ 12:10 PM.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

They're trying to sell Aracely frigging Arambula as a coal miner. It's not working.

To be fair, is there anything they could convincingly sell Aracely Arambula as?

I never understood why Telemundo treated the Aracely Arambula signing as some kind of a big "get." Her previous novela, the remake of Corazon Salvaje, was a massive bomb in both Mexico and the US, so much so here that Univision moved it out of primetime to a late night slot. Her previous novela was way back in 2002 and wasn't a hit either. All her other novelas were either ensembles or carried by other lead actors. I'm sure Televisa wasn't lamenting this loss too much.

It will probably be like the Cristina Saralegui signing all over again. Telemundo makes a lot of noise at a press event of the signing, the shows bomb, and Telemundo scuttles off with their tale between their legs while overpaying their flop "talent."

But then, I don't understand a lot of what Telemundo has been doing of late. Telemundo is also a network that seems to believe Marlene Favela is a big "get" rather than an actress you cast only when a half dozen other better actresses pass on a role. Telemundo believes Adriana Fonseca is a credible lead actress and Ana Layevska is only a supporting player. From their sham award show, Telemundo still seems convinced Jencarlos Canela is some kind of golden boy, nevermind that Mi Corazon Insiste bombed royally.

They haven't produced a single good novela this year, and their bad novelas are getting worse and worse - they used to just be boring, now they are reaching Venevision Miami levels of risibility. There's never ending trash like Corazon Valiente (I remember when Katie Barberi was on this, that seems a very, very long time ago...) - rewarded with extension after extension, it is their worst novela since Aurora, not coincidentally by the same dreadful hack writer, together, two of the worst things Telemundo has ever produced. Then there's El Rostro de la Venganza, a production so tired and dull with everybody just going through the motions, where every character is loathsome and/or stupid and nothing makes a lick of sense. Rosa Diamante is the only one that's halfway decent, and it is hurt by the casting of the goofy, never convincing as romantic lead, Mauricio Ochmann, and his inexplicably stupid hair again (is it in his contract he has to have a ridiculous haircut in every role). of course, I'm not counting the Caracol produced El Secretario and Escobar, which Telemundo had nothing to do with, which explains why they are good.

I've always been a big Telemundo fan, but I find myself far more interested this year in the Televisa novelas playing on Univision and a couple of the Colombian novelas playing on MundoFox like A mano limpia.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

I'm trying to stick with El rostro de la venganza, as messed up as it is (if I have this right, the child survivors of a school shooting and the supposed shooter were all subjected to electroshock therapy supposedly to block out the incident--but actually to protect the identity of the real shooter), mainly for the ensemble cast. But it's been in some kind of weird holding pattern for weeks now, presumably because of the whole Elizabeth Gutierrez/Marlene Favela thing, so it's more of a grind than I'd like on top of it being so messed up. That said, it only being a 30m show at this point helps...but its depressing tone, coming after the also depressing (even more so, TBH) Escobar, does make it difficult...

And since I forgot to mention this yesterday: there's apparently another upcoming Telemundo project with the working title of Pasion Prohibida, which is going into production next month. So far the only confirmed actor attached to it is Rebecca Jones, which isn't a bad thing; Rumor Control over at TW is saying this might be the gig that closes out Jencarlos Canela's existing contract with TM, though who he might be paired with is up in the air (Monica Spear and Gaby Espino's names have supposedly been floated).

To be fair, is there anything they could convincingly sell Aracely Arambula as?

A fembot? I'd so buy one!

Semi-seriously: Aracely has at least managed to stay in the public eye to some degree after Corazón salvaje ended, on top of her being with Televisa for her entire novela career, so in that respect I can understand Telemundo trumpeting her as a "get." That said, from what I've seen of her she's not exactly a brilliant actress (OTOH, as a veteran of English-language soap operas I've got to say that even discounting the language barrier she's not the worst thing I've ever seen--far from it), which probably raises the curiosity factor about La Patrona a bit. She's being paired with one of the stronger actors in TM's stable, let alone in a role that...wouldn't normally go to her at first glance...so will she surprise us and step up, or will she be carried?

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

Un refugio para el amor is ending on November 30...this appears to clear the way for an adaptation of Corona de Lagrimas (Victoria Ruffo, Maribel Guardia, and Ernesto Laguardia in an actual villain role), which Uni has been running muy pronto promos for, to replace it sometime the following week.

Rosario supposedly will premiere in January, as per this tweet. I have no reason to doubt it, though it makes me think that the show's definitely headed for an afternoon timeslot; unless they start editing Por ella soy Eva, the only first-run Univision novela that should be due to end in January is Amorcito corazon. That said, I'm still there for the cheesecake and Aaron Diaz as the lost fourth Jonas Brother.

MundoFox is running muy pronto promos for La Mariposa, the show about a money launderer that Telefutura would have aired by now if MundoFox hadn't come along. Go figure.

Telemundo went way off the reservation and picked up a TV Azteca show, Amor Cautivo (Arap Bethke, Marimar Vega), which they started running this week in the 11am EST timeslot. And Pasion Prohibida, officially with Jencarlos Canela and Monica Spear as the protagonists, started production last week; I want to say it's going to replace Corazon valiente, which has to frigging end sooner or later (apparently last night's episode was #171!), though it's possible that they might put it in the lighter 8pm EST timeslot when Rosa diamante ends and let La Patrona have this slot. On the rerun side, they're busting out Victorinos in the 11:35pm EST timeslot starting next Monday.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

ROSA DIAMANTE is already finished filming, and Miguel Varoni is joining CORAZON VALIENTE to drive that effer off a cliff and kill it once and for all -- all that will be left is a scribbled note like the end of APOCALYPSE NOW - "Drop the bomb, Exterminate them all! -- what I'm saying is both should be ending in January for the premieres of PASION PROHIBIDA (in 8pm ET slot) and LA PATRONA (at 9 pm ET). Telemundo rarely premieres novelas in December because of the holiday preemptions hurting momentum, so it makes sense we'll be seeing two new ones in January.

Of course, with the casting of Monica Spear in PASION PROHIBIDA, the fanbase of Jencarlos Canela and Gaby Espino lost their crap and have been ravaging the internets like a Mongol horde. Frankly, the couple I'm looking forward to seeing in that novela is Spear and Rebecca Jones who I believe are daughter and mother in it - the story seems pretty dull to me and has elements done 8 million times already (this time in Turkish) and the supporting cast announced so far is blah, but hopefully Spear and Jones will be interesting together. With Telemundo lately, it really is just a performer here or there that has me watching their shows - I watched all of Ana Layevska's Telemundo novelas just for her, thinking all three were abysmal. Sadly, I think their best novelas right now are a Caracol (EL SECRETARIO) and an Azteca (AMOR CAUTIVO), both airing before noon. (PABLO ESCOBAR is a well-acted, expensive production, but it's not very well written, far too repetitive. Whose Pablo going to kill this week? It probably would have worked better as a real mini-series - about 20 episodes.)

Just an observation, but soon, the ages according to Wikipedia of Univision's leading actresses in their prime time line up: Victoria Ruffo (51), Lucero (43), Erika Buenfil (47). Me likes. (Add in Silvia Navarro, who is only 34, but seems like she's been around forever.)

Univision - CACHITO DE CIELO, ? - #crickets#

That said, I'm still there for the cheesecake and Aaron Diaz as the lost fourth Jonas Brother.

Oh my God. Aaron Diaz has got to be trolling us, he's doing some kind of performance art joke now, right? He seemed one of the only ones who understood the silliness of EL TALISMAN and was willing to camp it up to entertain us, is he already doing it now before the new one even starts. Love him, though, wish Telemundo would have tossed some cash his way - much rather see him on my screen than Canela, or any of Telemundo's 30-ish year olds and under - the only one I can think of that I think might be interesting is Gonzalo Garcia Vivanco. (Chocarro disappointed me in ROSTRO).

Over on Telefutura, they are running promos for QUIEN ERES TU? for January, a Colombia-shot remake of LA USURPADORA starring the JV squad of Laura Carmine and Julian Gil. Just, no. It's from Televisa and RTI, I think Televisa just couldn't find anybody willing to go to Colombia, so they were left with the B team of Carmine and Gil. Maybe they'll surprise and rise to the occasion.

Also, Telefutura is apparently going to be showing BAZURTO, aka MADE IN CARTAGENA, a short action-packed Caracol production about drugs (of course), thieves and hidden treasure (I think) that stars Carmen Villalobos. Probably a late-night slot like TRES MILAGROS.

EDIT: THIS WAS ADDED AT 2:55 P.M. to an original post I did around midnight (Hate it when the forum combines posts like this)
Apparently EL ROSTRO DE LA VENGANZA also finishes up filming in a couple weeks, according to twitter from the actors. ESCOBAR should end in December, then ROSTRO will go to a full hour. I figure ROSTRO should finish its run around March, if we count it in hour long episodes, that would be about 100 produced, one of the advantages it has as a flop is it will at least be short, so it won't get the awful extensions.

Telemundo is also releasing some promos for LA PATRONA: madre & minera. They are pretty cheesetastic - Aracely is such a convincing miner. It looks like the type of thing the network would have put Gaby Spanic in a few years ago - a woman in pants role.

Edited by argee2, Nov 16, 2012 @ 3:56 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Oh, lord, the "minera" promo...I'm hoping the actual show looks less theatrical than that specific promo did. Just saying.

ROSA DIAMANTE is already finished filming, and Miguel Varoni is joining CORAZON VALIENTE to drive that effer off a cliff and kill it once and for all -- all that will be left is a scribbled note like the end of APOCALYPSE NOW - "Drop the bomb, Exterminate them all! -- what I'm saying is both should be ending in January for the premieres of PASION PROHIBIDA (in 8pm ET slot) and LA PATRONA (at 9 pm ET).

I thought I saw someone that looked like Miguel Varoni in a CV promo the other day...damn, how many folks from TM's rotating roster have shown up on that show by now? (My earlier episode count was apparently wrong--it's up to 176 episodes as of tonight. Are they shooting for 200 as some kind of in-network record?)

As for Rosa: depending on when it actually finished shooting, it probably should be going into ultimas semanas mode any day now. That period seems to run about eight weeks for Telemundo anyway.

And then there's Quien eres tu?, which after seeing the original upfront trailer (with Danna Garcia!) and the opening credits already looks crazy cheesy. Laura Carmine is utterly channeling a perma-bitchfaced Gabriela Spanic (which is a little creepy, since Gaby was one of my first novela crushes), and Julian Gil as the protagonist--has he ever been a protagonist?--just...wow. That said, it'd be nice to see Telefutura get its novela action on again with it and this Bazurto thing; it's been kind of soulless as of late.

ETA: ironically, CV is going into capitulos culminates mode as of Monday, per a promo last night. Six to eight weeks to go...

Edited by redshirtx, Nov 17, 2012 @ 9:16 AM.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 24, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

It seems like the novelas Telemundo is shooting in Mexico (ROSA DIAMANTE / LA PATRONA) tape further ahead of their airdate than the ones they shoot in Miami; so while ROSA wrapped shooting weeks ago, CORAZON VALIENTE will actually finish its run first. Actors on CORAZON are saying they are in their last days of filming. Film date is usually just 3-4 weeks ahead of air date.

Telefutura is going to rebroadcast ALMA REBELDE, a 1999 telenovela I vaguely remember only because it starred Lisette Morelos, who did that one and CARITA DE ANGEL, then seemed to vanish from sight only to pop up suddenly a couple years ago as Sara Maldonado's sister in Telemundo's AURORA. it's going in the morning slot currently filled by NUNCA TE OLVIDARE on December 3rd. (Telefutura annoys me. They are an HD channel running 7 hours of Standard definition telenovelas if you count Mujer, Casos de la vida real; to me, they should only be rebroadcasting HD novelas or, heaven forbid, the HD Venevision novelas the network has exclusive US rights to but are letting rot in the vault. The older novelas should go on their cable/satellite channel Univision TLNovelas - and why is that non-HD channel showing a HD novela like UN GANCHO AL CORAZON? Why is it showing UN GANCHO, period? I thought it was supposed to be a channel for "classics," or at the very least, "hits.")

On Telemundo's digital subchannel ExitosTV, ANITA NO TE RAJES and VICTORIA are both nearing their ends - I think they both have a couple weeks or less left. Heaven knows what is going to be broadcast next as the channel doesn't have any promos. That channel has been a nice, no nonsense, no fanfare surprise present from Telemundo as it allows a chance to watch the full unedited versions of Telemundo's past novelas, for better or worst (I'd only seen a truncated version of PASION DE GAVILANES before the Exitos airing, boy, that one mostly resolves its story, then goes on for another 40 long, overlong episodes of nothing.) And since the channel doesn't sell much advertising, they don't seem to care what they show, so they even broadcast SIN VERGUENZA, which was a pretty big flop when it aired on Telemundo - it actually got yanked out of prime time and banished to a daytime slot. Also, the English captions are available again, at least in my market.

MundoFox is rebroadcasting CORREO DE INOCENTES, which ran last year on Telefutura. It starts Wednesday, Nov 28 at noon ET. MundoFox is getting really really low ratings so far, in prime time, like half of what Azteca America gets. Their programming isn't terrible, probably better than everything Telemundo is producing right now, so I think it's just a case of audiences having to find the network. That said, i can't say I much care for their prime time duo of CORAZONES BLINDADOS and EL CAPO 2, they are good looking and well acted, but they are so relentlessly grim and unpleasant, and trudging through that unpleasantness five times a week just becomes oppressive, the shows sit on your chest. Give me goofy Eduardo Yanez running in just his boxers through a crowded mall to save Erika Buenfil from cartoon kidnappers on AMORES VERDADEROS any day of the week over Marlon Moreno's pretentious philosophizing drug lord.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Watched the first episode of Corona de lagrimas - Victoria Ruffo is crying in the first scene and a total of four times in the first 15 minutes, so I guess for once they got the title right. I also came to the scary realization that I've seen every one of her telenovelas since like 1995's Pobre Nina Rica. Yup, she owns me. I read that a lot of people get annoyed or tired of her but I just love her, she's kind of hilarious, a true camp figure because it's entirely sincere (as opposed to phony, fake intentional "campy" which doesn't interest me).

Univision is rebranding its cable channel Telefutura next year as UniMás; I guess it makes sense to tie the channel to the growing Univision cable brands all under the Uni header. they are promising more orginal programming - really, MundoFox taking the RCN telenovelas meant Telefutura now has to produce their own programming, in association with Televisa and former Colombian production arm of Telemundo - RTI. (Telemundo now looks like it is working with Caracol for their Colombian shows; having moved back to Mexico with Argos for Rosa Diamante and La Patrona.) Their first will be the Laura Carmina/Julian Gil telenovela Quien eres tu?, but I think they are already working on another co-production for Telefutura, Las Bandidas, a new version of Las Amazonas (already remade as Nina amada mia). This new version will star Ana Lucia Dominguez from Perro Amor and Marco Mendez, who I guess was last seen in La que no podia amar.

Quien eres tu? and the Carmen Villalobos teleseries Made in Cartagena debut on January 7.

Also, three telenovelas starting up re-broadcasts on the cable channel Univision Tlnovelas this month are the 2001 Salome starring Edith Gonzalez and Guy Ecker; another 2001 novela, El Novero mandamiento with Daniela Castro; and the young person novela Sonadoras (which just ran on Telefutura) with Aracely Arambula, Angelica Vale, Laisha Wilkins and Michelle Vieth as the girls and Alejandra Avalos and Arturo Peniche as the grown ups.

Over on Telemundo, Corazon Valiente is in "Ultimas Semanas" and Rosa Diamante is in "Capitulos Culminantes" so we should be getting the first Pasion Prohibida promo any day now. Pablo Escobar only has about 4 weeks left also. It will be interesting to see what happens with El Rostro de la venganza after Pablo ends. I guess they will make it an hour, but will its ratings fall any lower without Pablo providing the big lead in. El Rostro a lot of nights already gets the same ratings Decisiones Extremas reruns got in the time slot during the dogdays of summer, and it looks like El Rostro, which is done filming, has enough episodes in the can to run into March. Were it on Univision, it would have been moved to a daytime or late night timeslot and Uni would have brought in the next Televisa novela; but Telemundo rarely has the luxury of moving a failing novela because they don't have any replacements. I remember they moved Sin verguenza to daytime because of bad ratings and replaced it with a Brazilian novela - that ain't happening again.

ExitosTV, Telemundo's digital subchannel for reruns started airing Marina today. This 2006 novela stars Sandra Echeverria (whose range of expression runs the gamut from Pout A to Pout B), Aylin Mujica, Humberto Zurita, and briefly Mauricio Ochmann before he is replaced by Manolo Cardona. It's running at 8am/pm 12pm/am 4pm/am ET.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

I was wondering what the promos about "el gran cambio de Telefutura" were about...I guess Univision's taking a cue from Telemundo and mun2 with the whole UniMas thing. That said, Uni's original programming decisions over the past year or so haven't been pretty (I'm still firmly convinced that Escandalo TV and later La Tijera/Tombola were axed so they could pimp Sal y pimienta, and that's on top of randomness like the cheesing up of ¿Quién Tiene La Razón? and the fascinating but doomed Noche de perros), so I'm not sure what else will really change other than the name. Uni, you get a side-eye for the moment.

I read that a lot of people get annoyed or tired of [Victoria Ruffo] but I just love her, she's kind of hilarious, a true camp figure because it's entirely sincere (as opposed to phony, fake intentional "campy" which doesn't interest me).

Victoria always struck me as a fairly capable actress, language barriers aside, but the waterworks schtick she's effectively inherited (honestly, I'm hard pressed to think of anybody else who's that known for their crying on the novela side of the fence--Angelica Maria, perhaps?) obscures everything else. Kind of like Aylin Mujica's nonstop leg porn, only dramatic.

That does remind me I need to check out Corona de lagrimas, though not so much for Victoria as for Maribel Guardia and Ernesto Laguardia.

Sandra Echeverria (whose range of expression runs the gamut from Pout A to Pout B)

Hee. She had more facial expressions in La fuerza del destino, but lost them again by the time she did Relaciones peligrosas.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Victoria Ruffo cries five more times in the second episode of Corona de lagrimas. I wish I was joking. She's a good actress, and I would never begrudge an actress at her age taking a lead role in a telenovela because let's face it, there probably won't be too many more in her career - it's just that the role in Corona is such a Victoria Ruffo role. Maybe Victoria Ruffo roles are the only ones she is offered or the only ones she is interested in, but it's a shame she hasn't had a chance to stretch herself as a performer with more diversity of parts.

Televisa and Univision signed a long-term deal with Colombia's Caracol TV to produce and broadcast Caracol content in Mexico and the US. So as Telefutura turns into UniMás, they've swapped one Colombian content producer (RCN) for the other (Caracol). These deals are getting confusing. Caracol programming had been kind of all over the airwaves, not only on Telemundo (Escobar; El Secretario) but also a lot of lower-tier Spanish cable channels (like WAPA) and small broadcast channels, usually located as digital subchannels. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm predicting Unimas is mostly interested in Caracol's crime and drug shows (snore) and will be shelving the more traditional novela fare (like they've done with their Venevision productions) making it more difficult to see things like el Secretario in the US legally.

Where does that leave Telemundo? Maybe they'll be bringing more Azteca (La Teniente is getting muy pronto ads to air soon on Mun2), or perhaps the Brazilian novelas they aired in the past.

She had more facial expressions in La fuerza del destino, but lost them again by the time she did Relaciones peligrosas.

Yeah, I was thinking mostly of Echeverria's work in Relaciones, which was a particularly pouty performance. Some of that had to do with the character she played, who was a spineless ninny - just what you want out of your heroine - a wimpy simpleton. She's getting Hollywood and movie roles now, so I guess she's doing something right.

Edited by argee2, Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:05 PM.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

(La Teniente is getting muy pronto ads to air soon on Mun2)

How is La Teniente? As someone who hasn't figured out how to get CC3 captions, I'm stuck hoping whatever Mun2 airs is good. Ojo Por Ojo lost me because the characters were such thugs (with their constant "When in doubt, threaten somebody with a gun" which understandable with rival gang member but less sympathetic when its the first choice in getting a doctor to remove bullets from your boyfriend). I hope this one is better.

Edited by Al Funcoot, Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:59 PM.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

How is La Teniente?

i haven't seen it. Mexican TV critic Alvaro Cueva thought it was great, but I almost never agree with him. I think it follows a woman's life in the Navy, and it's a pretty short series, I think only like a month long, but created in such a way as to allow for additional seasons.

The rumor right now is that Mun2 is going to start re-running some of Telemundo's past telenovelas as well, I'm hearing Pasion de gavilanes and Sin senos no hay paraiso.

On Telemundo, Corazon valiente finally has a finale date, January 7; and La Patrona will premiere on January 8. Telemundo is also finally rolling out their promos for teh Canela, Spear, Jones novela Pasion prohibida. It's roll out is so low-key and low cost, it's obvious the network is betting all their money on La Patrona and Pasion is an afterthought.

It should be good to see Christian Bach on Patrona and Rebecca Jones on Pasion, two fabulous veteran actresses; unfortunately, from the promos, it looks like both are just going to be playing cliched villanas, of late, the Leticia Calderon role. They are good enough to be interesting anyway, but I have little faith in Telemundo to give them something actually worthy of their talents.

And today, Telemundo started airing on their digital subchannel ExitosTV a special Christmas novela from 2002 called Feliz Navidad Mama. I've never seen it but it stars Gabriel Porras in what must have been one of his first roles at Telemundo. From the internet, it looks like its 22 episodes long. It airs 6 times a day: 7am/pm, 11am/pm, 3am/pm ET, Mondays-Saturdays.

Oh, and coming to the cable channel Univision Tlnovelas on January 7 is the 1987 Adela Noriega and Thalia novela Quinceanera. In a weird move, the big network is running promos for it, the first time they have done this for their cable network.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

If memory serves, mun2 actually ran Sin senos... at least once in the past couple of years (Telemundo itself ran it in the midnight death slot last year) and Exitos just ran Pasion de gavilanes earlier this year. Everything's cyclic regardless of netlet, I guess. Now, if they get to Pecados ajenos and/or El fantasma de Elena...

Telemundo is also finally rolling out their promos for teh Canela, Spear, Jones novela Pasion prohibida. It's roll out is so low-key and low cost, it's obvious the network is betting all their money on La Patrona and Pasion is an afterthought.

TM's advertising is occasionally wonky as hell for upcoming projects, but to some degree I'm not too surprised they're not promoting it like they are La Patrona. That's where Aracely Arambula, their "get," is. OTOH, this is Jencarlos' first TM project in two (three?) years--the guy's got a fanbase, after all--and they could easily promote Monica Spear and Rebecca Jones ahead of him on top of that. Perhaps more so Rebecca on name recognition, but still.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

I'm just glad Telemundo actually announced a finale date in a promo weeks in advance. They'd been hiding finale dates lately - the Flor Salvaje Friday finale was literally announced that week's Tuesday, so four days in advance.

I often wonder how much stars effect ratings. Obviously, they are important in that they have to be cast right, and the cast has to have chemistry with each other. And we all have actors we enjoy seeing, but when it comes to actually getting people to tune in, actually moving the ratings up, I think ultimately the story and production is king.

I mean, everybody on TV has fans, looking at internet reaction muddies things because there are so many international fans as well. But when we see actors who seem enormously popular, that is, the performers who are really promoted heavily by the network, when we see those actors enter a telenovela midstream - the ratings never go up. I mean, Sonya Smith joining Aurora did nothing for the numbers; neither have Gabriel Porras or Miguel Varoni joining Corazon Valiente. If those three actors, arguably the biggest names at Telemundo, don't move the ratings up in any significant way, it's hard to believe anybody does.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

As someone who hasn't figured out how to get CC3 captions, I'm stuck hoping whatever Mun2 airs is good.

Don't know if you get the network, but MundoFox runs some of their telenovelas with hard captions so you don't have to fiddle with CC3. All their showings of A mano limpia have English subtitles on the screen, as well as their weeknight midnight reruns of La Mariposa and their weekend marathons Corazones Blindados and La Mariposa.

Los Rey starts this Monday on Azteca America at 1 p.m. ET. Don't know much about it. think I read somewhere it was adapted from the TV series Dallas.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

On the network formerly known as Telefutura, Abrazame muy fuerte is getting another rerun starting Jan 7 at 9 a.m. ET. It will be airing in 2 hour blocks, so audiences can get even more Ruffo, Evora, Colunga and Arambula.

Also on Jan 7 on the same network, the Carmen Villalobos vehicle Made in Cartagena premieres at 9 p.m. ET and the Laura Carmine, Julian Gil, Laura Carmine thriller Quien Eres tu? premieres at 10 p.m. ET. I'm actually sort of looking forward to both these shows, I hope now that they are UniMas, the network will show a little more patience than in the past and not panicky change the time slots every few weeks. (Another thing I dread is when they had telenovelas in prime time in the past, they always had a lot of pre-emptions for soccer, so it becomes hard to know when a new episode is airing.)

Aracely Arambula, CHristian Bach and Jorge Luis Pila star in La Patrona on Telemundo starting Jan 8 at 9 p.m. ET. As they air more promos, the show is looking sillier and sillier. Date I'm hearing for Pasion Prohibida is January 21.

On Univision, Amorcito Corazon is in its final weeks - by my count, if there are no preemptions, it should end Feb 1. I've yet to see any indication what Uni is going to replace it with - their own production Rosario or the Pedro Fernandez, Maite Perroni Heaven Can Wait Cachito de cielo - if Cachito was going to get a prime time slot, it would have gotten the one Uni decided to fill with Corona de lagrimas, so I'm guessing it is fated for daytime.

It looks like Pasion de gavilanes and Sin senos no hay paraiso will be rerun on Mun2 starting Monday, Jan 7. Pasion airs at 6 p.m. ET and Sin senos at 11 p.m. ET.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 1, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

Uni also showed a tiny snippet of the La hija del mariachi remake, Qué Bonito Amor (Jorge Salinas, Danna Garcia, Pablo Montero), in a New Year-themed promo this morning...but that means it could show up at any point in the next few months. Since that's the first new novela they've run any promos for, though, I suspect it's going to replace Amor bravio (which just cleared the halfway mark of its run last week AIUI; assuming no major breaks, it should end sometime in May along with Por ella soy Eva).

As they air more promos, [La Patrona] is looking sillier and sillier.

Maybe it's the promo monkeys screwing it up, but damn--Aracely continuously looks like a model stuck on the wrong show (as much as I want to give her the benefit of the doubt for wanting to stretch her wings, wow) and Christian Bach looks like she's about two seconds away from either biting someone's head off or zapping them with a death ray. I swear, Jorge Luis Pila's going to end up carrying this show...

On Univision, Amorcito Corazon is in its final weeks - by my count, if there are no preemptions, it should end Feb 1. I've yet to see any indication what Uni is going to replace it with - their own production Rosario or the Pedro Fernandez, Maite Perroni Heaven Can Wait Cachito de cielo - if Cachito was going to get a prime time slot, it would have gotten the one Uni decided to fill with Corona de lagrimas, so I'm guessing it is fated for daytime.

We haven't seen any muy pronto promos for what should be replacing Amorcito yet, and usually Uni's pretty good about that once a show goes into ultimas semanas. I still think Rosario's going there first (rumor is they were producing promos for it before Christmas) barring yet another schedule shuffle, which would mean either Hoy gets shoved back to Galavision or La rosa de Guadelupe gets yanked. That said, one major wild card is Porque el amor manda. IMO there's no way in hell Uni will pass on Fernando Colunga and their girl Blanca Soto in a "light" novela; I'd lay money on it replacing Eva when it ends, since the 8pm EST timeslot is all but earmarked for lighter fare. Cachito could be held back to replace it, or even pushed to the midnight death slot (not a given, but they do occasionally drop first-run shows there).

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 11:03 AM

Belatedly: assuming Verizon's EPG is correct, Telefutura/UniMas will be reairing Rosario Tijeras in the midnight death slot starting Monday night.

And after reading this I'm tempted to give La mariposa a try, though my tolerance for narcos is kind of low right now. This probably applies to Made in Cartagena as well, and that at least has Carmen Villalobos in it.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

And after reading this I'm tempted to give La mariposa a try,

That was penned by moi - RG = argee. My MundoFox signal went on the fritz this week so I've missed the last three episodes of LA MARIPOSA.

Maybe it's the promo monkeys screwing it up, but damn--Aracely continuously looks like a model stuck on the wrong show

That's exactly right. She looks like a model in mining costume posing for a calendar. Prospecting and Mining Illustrated's "Hotties of the Adits" edition.

Made in Cartagena is a short one, only 60 episodes, another of these so-called tele-series.

Telemundo's digital subchannel Exitos started re-airing the 2004 novela La mujer en el espejo today, starring Paola Rey and Juan Alfonso Baptista and the fab Natasha Klauss. It's a pretty silly one - Paola is an ugly duckling who after a magical intervention from her dead aunt, turns beautiful, but the spell only lasts in the daytime, at night, she turns back into her plain self. It's airing at 7 am/pm, 11 am/pm, 3 pm/am ET.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2013 @ 5:25 AM

A big BOOO to the newly rechristened UniMas for not subtitling/CC3'ing Made in Cartagena. I'll still watch as I'm just too big of a Carmen Villalobos completist to not (tragic perm she's sporting aside), but when the former Telefutura used to CC3 La Pola and something as obscure as Un Sueno Llamado Salsa, it's odd that *neither* of their new primetime offerings under their rebranding aren't being English captioned.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 4:06 AM

Yeah, I'm shocked UniMas isn't providing English captions for their two new novelas given Univision's new concerted effort in that arena. On Univision, even the daytime novelas now have English captions - the rerun of Cuidado con el angel and Amorcito corazon. And as you said, Telefutura was providing English captions even before Univision, so it's very strange, especially with the relaunch and all.

I didn't like Corazon Valiente, but had to see the finale and it was as cracked and awful as I expected. I looked at my clock and with literally five minutes left there were still bullets a flying. The final scenes of our heroes had them getting shot, stabbed or blown up via exploding cake. Miguel Varoni, who was only in the thing in its final month, got to say the final voice-over coda. We got to see Vanessa Pose again during the little epilogue - I always get a kick out of her, she's not really a good actress, but she has that smoky voice and there's just this slight goofiness to her that i find appealing. Then, really inexplicably, Gregorio Pernia showed up again for a scene with only like a minute left to go. He was not only killed off in teh show, he was given a damn viking funeral; but I guess he got better. Were there really legions of fans out there clamoring for him to return to the show? So two badly developed villains - albeit acted by teh best two actors on the show, but still - got the final lines and penultimate scene. Our heroes? They got a very badly done photoshop job for their happily ever afters, a photo montage with the actors clearly in front of a green screen - teh green was reflecting offf their backs, like in 1970s Jon Pertwee era Doctor Who.

There seems to be a growing trend on Telemundo for their novelas to deteriorate around episode 90 into a slapdash nonsensical runaround; character motivation and plot logic are jettisoned for cheap sensationalistic rubbish of endless kidnappings and violence. El fantasma de Elena, Aurora, Mi corazon insiste, La casa de al lado, Relaciones peligrosas, Corazon valiente - all Miami Telemundo productions - and even the Mexican produced Rosa diamante fall into this category. When El rostro de la venganza invariably takes that route as well, it will make it every Telemundo novela produced in 2012. It's enough to make me wary to begin a new Telemundo novela.

But when it stars Aracely Arambula as a miner like La Patrona, who can resist? After the first episode, I'm happy to report Aracely plays a "miner" the way Natalia Streignard used to play a "rancher" - with copious cleavage. (Really, the other miners don’t want the sweaty hottie in the clingy, low-cut top and tight jeans down the mine with them? Odd bunch.) Jorge Luis Pila is good - it's amazing how far he's come in his career - he is now maybe Telemundo's most dependable leading man - I remember back when he used to play cheap slimeball villains in bad Miami soaps starring people like Scarlet Ortiz. Christian Bach, even with a distracting wig, is going to eat Aracely for lunch. Some of the Mexican location footage looks good; the mine sets not so good. The script was terribly on the nose and direct - hopefully just a consequence of first episode exposition, but we'll see. At one point, a random character named and described every character at a funeral to his companion as if he were reading a Wikipedia entry on a telenovela called La Patrona - I can't remember the last time I saw character introductions handled that atrociously.

Promo for Pasion Prohibida that aired during La Patrona listed a January 22 premiere. Looking at that one's original Turkish version, I'm hoping PP will be a short one - ideally 90 episodes. The rather thin story will burst if extended beyond that, so of course, that's what I anticipate Telemundo doing. Of course, I also severely doubt Telemundo has the balls to go the places that Turkish show did, which begs the question why bother.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 2:46 AM

UniMas is not (re-)airing Rosario Tijeras weeknights at midnight, or at least not yet. This week they've been rebroadcasting that evening's episode of Made in Cartagena (I was hoping UniMas would pull a MundoFox and have English captions or subtitles on the midnight rebroadcast, but alas, no). It'll be interesting to see if the Rosario Tijeras rebroadcast, should it happen, retains the CC3 English subtitles it had when Telefutura first aired it in prime time a couple of years ago.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 7:16 AM

I think it's UniMas screwing with their premiere-week scheduling at the last minute; Rosario Tijeras was showing up on FiOS's EPG for this week up until late Sunday night, when it was replaced with MIC, and it's still appearing for next week. I'm kind of surprised that this is the first first-run show in something like a year and change Uni has done this with (I think TM is reairing La Patrona this week in the same timeslot, but I could be wrong).

Speaking of TM, though: during the first episode of La Patrona they ran a teaser "2013" promo for El Señor de los Cielos (Rafael Amaya, Fernanda Castillo). No doubt it's going to inherit the 10pm EST timeslot, since even the promo directly referenced Escobar (and Rafael showed up utterly rocking Jorge Salinas's La que no podia amar look, complete with cigar).

But when it stars Aracely Arambula as a miner like La Patrona, who can resist? After the first episode, I'm happy to report Aracely plays a "miner" the way Natalia Streignard used to play a "rancher" - with copious cleavage.

After watching the first episode I'd have to agree, though I was surprised that Aracely wasn't quite as out of her depth as I expected. But she was still trying too hard, so to speak, as opposed to Jorge Luis Pila or Christian Bach. And then there was Manuel Balbi (Fernando), who kind of stole the show for me; I'm kind of hoping he pulls an Aaron Diaz and runs away with this thing.

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I was sort of poking fun at ¿QUIÉN ERES TÚ? before it came out, but after watching the first week, it's actually pretty good. Still not entirely sold on Julian Gil, but he had to do a lot of jealous husband acting his first week, so the jury is still out; but I think Laura Carmine is actually doing a nice job.

Both ¿QUIÉN ERES TÚ? and MADE IN CARTAGENA are good shows, so it's getting kind of crowded in prime time for novela watchers - with MundoFox and UniMas, there's probably more hours of telenovelas in prime time than ever before. And even a novela I think is not very good, LA PATRONA, is not good in a wonderfully campy way, it's the most enjoyable bad novela since EL TALISMAN - actually more enjoyable because that one, strangely enough, was almost too sane and got very dull after a nice crazy first week. I'm not seeing much sanity in LA PATRONA's future, Aracely Arambula grabbing her rifle at the end of Friday's episode as if to go shoot herself a bear only to be confronted by Christian Bach, nostrils flaring, in another leather number out of 1980s music video. Yeah, keep that coming.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 6:32 AM

It appears UniMas is continuing the Telefutura legacy of wonky and fickle scheduling. Just saw a spot advertising the "premiere" of the rebroadcast of Rosario Tijeras beginning Monday... at 10pm. Who knows where Quien Eres Tu? will be heading now...

argee2

argee2

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

They made that decision after one week; the ROSARIO re-run was being advertised on Monday. QUIEN ERES TU is a good show, if promoted properly and put in the right time slot, it would have found its audience. But Telefutura spent far more time advertising their name-change to UniMás instead of the programs. I don't think I saw a single ad for the actual show, QUIEN ERES TU, in prime time on Univision. Why they wouldn't advertise the show during AMOR BRAVIO, a show with Laura Carmine and the same time slot audiences had seen Julian Gil in earlier in the year - is inconceivable to me.

And while both MADE IN CARTAGENA and QUIEN ERES TU are good shows, they aren't really compatible in a line-up - MADE is a modern TV crime drama with a cinematic production style, QUIEN is a traditionally produced and looking telenovela. The UniMás lineup should have been QUIEN at 7 pm ET, following their re-run of CARITA DE ANGEL - keeping a traditional telenovela block; then their bad Hollywood movie dubbed into Spanish, then MADE IN CARTAGENA at 10 pm ET.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

QET did get some primetime PR, but not much comparatively--Made in Cartagena seemed to get the lion's share of it, IIRC. That said, putting it up against La Patrona, Amores verdaderos, and La mariposa--not necessarily the brightest idea, Uni, unless you wanted to burn it off.

Oh, and about La Patrona: it's still early yet, but between the rampant cleavage and Manuel Balbi channeling Ariel Lopez Padilla and Christian Bach doing some awesome "Bitch, please" facial expressions underneath that whacked-out wig...it's good to snark on, if nothing else.