Princess Diana: The Secret Tapes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

22 replies to this topic

gemini_girl

gemini_girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 10:16 PM

This broke my heart last night. I'd read the book before so I knew about everything she said, but hearing her talk about all of this was awful to listen to.

For someone to be taken into a family and not allowed to live their life the way they want to, but to also be basically ignored. Ugh I'm sure I would've tried to kill myself numerous times as well.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2004 @ 12:02 AM

This poor woman. What I want to know is why won't they just leave her the hell alone? She's been dead for like 6 and something years and her poor children are trying to become men. They don't need this bullshit circulating every few years. Just let it go already people. Prince Charles is a dick.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2004 @ 6:27 AM

She drives me insane. While Charles might be a dick, for her to reveal stuff that he said about the boys (dissapointment over Harry being a boy) is unforgivable. Harry should NOT know that. Also revealing that she threw herself down the stairs, while pregenant with Wills is horrible. I'd be devestated if I found out my mother had done that. Aboustly devestated. She put those boys in the middle when she was alive, and she's doing it in death.

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

She was a psycho nutcase and I'm sick to death of her.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 1:24 PM

I guess I agree with both mickif and katymo: Diana was a psycho nutcase and Charles is a dick.

I'm always struck with how young she was when she got married, and how no one at the time seemed to think there was anything troubling about a somewhat sheltered 19-year-old getting engaged to a major public figure in his (mid?) 30s. Listening to the tapes, I wondered if Charles ever looks at his eldest son and is troubled at the idea that he married someone not far from his age.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that, emotional and intellectual connections aside, Charles preferred to sleep with Camilla over Diana. I mean, my God, Diana was this absolutely stunning beauty, and Camilla is ... well, help me out, what's the British term for someone who looks like Camilla? Anyway, yeah, I'm shallow.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

Well, certainly Diana had some issues, there is no doubt in that, yet I can't help but still feel some sympathy for her more than Charles. It always seemed to me that Diana was never praised by "the Firm"; certainly anyone who threw herself down the stairs with child needed some serious help -- but what did they do? They told her she was crying wolf. WTF? Take her to a psychiatrist! She needed help.

Her sons are probably in dire need of help as well -- Harry and his extravagant trip to Africa anyone? His drug problems anyone?

If I was Wills and Harry (and I am Wills' age), I would run like a bat out of hell away from that crazy lot, and I really wouldn't give a rat's ass what history wrote about me either.

However, I wish people would stop harping about her -- stop making money off of her, and let the woman rest in peace finally.

scarletine

scarletine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that, emotional and intellectual connections aside, Charles preferred to sleep with Camilla over Diana. I mean, my God, Diana was this absolutely stunning beauty, and Camilla is ... well, help me out, what's the British term for someone who looks like Camilla?

I believe Diana herself used to refer to Camilla as "The Rottweiler".

Rose235

Rose235

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 2:36 PM

Gemini girl I am with you. It also broke my heart listening to those tapes. She was 19 when it all started and 36 when it ended. That's young.

Aiders

Aiders

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2004 @ 1:26 AM

Harry and his extravagant trip to Africa anyone?

Harry's on his gap year. A lot of kids his age in Britain, if they can, travel and work in the year between High School and University. William did this too, I believe he worked on a farm or something-- possibly in Africa or Australia? Anyway, this isn't supposed to be an extravagant luxury trip, he's supposed to be doing this.

ubi

ubi

Posted Mar 12, 2004 @ 7:39 AM

I hate you, Princess Die and I'm sick of hearing about your waste of a life.

Sorry folks, I just had to vent.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me that, emotional and intellectual connections aside, Charles preferred to sleep with Camilla over Diana. I mean, my God, Diana was this absolutely stunning beauty, and Camilla is ... well, help me out, what's the British term for someone who looks like Camilla? Anyway, yeah, I'm shallow.

I believe "horse" is the word. heh.

Edited by ubi, Mar 12, 2004 @ 7:39 AM.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2004 @ 12:09 PM

No doubt she was a basket case, but the way she kept telling Harry to sit still and keep quiet during the videotaped session was very sweet and normal. I was amused by how William scolded her for goofing off on camera. Despite her plethora of emotional problems, she seemed to have a good relationship with her kids.

I was horrified, however, to hear that somewhere exist pictures of her alive in the car after the crash. Of course, there had to be pictures, since there were photographers nearby. But I hadn't really thought about it until I heard that photographer talk about it specifically. I wonder if France has changed its emergency treatment system since that accident.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2004 @ 8:46 PM

Harry's on his gap year. A lot of kids his age in Britain, if they can, travel and work in the year between High School and University. William did this too, I believe he worked on a farm or something-- possibly in Africa or Australia? Anyway, this isn't supposed to be an extravagant luxury trip, he's supposed to be doing this.

Yeah, but when William went to Africa or whatever, he did noble things -- Harry just went like it was just another trip to St. Tropez.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

I'm always struck with how young she was when she got married, and how no one at the time seemed to think there was anything troubling about a somewhat sheltered 19-year-old getting engaged to a major public figure in his (mid?) 30s.

True, but all the royal family cared about at the time was finding a virginal, aristocratic 'lady' for Charles to marry since he was getting older and the pressure was on. Diana fit that job description perfectly. And I think the royal family thought she would be quiet and follow the family rules without any disruption. Boy, were they ever wrong!

What no one thought about was that this was a young gal who actually fell in love with Charles and thought she'd have a real marriage whereas Charles (IMO) knew from the get-go that this was a marriage for marriage's sake (and producing heirs to the throne). His answer to the reporter (upon their public announcement of their engagement) who asked "And you're in love?" -- to which Charles said "Yes, whatever that means" -- should have sent Diana running.

But she had never really dated (from what I've read), had her own psychological problems (leading her to fantasize, IMO, about a fairytale marriage that doesn't exist even among non-Royals) and I think was so young that she was naive enough to think things would be different once they married.

A bad matchup from the get-go....very bad. A lovely, but psychologically very needy young woman thrown into the limelight (with a popularity that no one could have predicted and which only magnified - IMO - the huge disparity between being publicly adored and loved while getting very little of that from her husband/in-laws) paired with a somewhat cold, odd-ball guy who was under pressure to marry.

Edited by BibiBella, Mar 14, 2004 @ 12:30 PM.

katymo

katymo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

To this day I'm struck by the fact that a dude that looks like Charles was able to produce a child who has grown into the hotness that is William. Even with Diana's genes in there, it still boggles my mind.

Yeah Diana had psycological issues no doubt, but I still felt sorry for her. I doubt a 19 year old like Diana would know what they were truly getting into at that point.

BibiBella

BibiBella

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

katymo, I agree, I still felt sorry for Diana too.

Most women at 19 would be quite naive in her situation and I really don't think she could have ever known what she was realllly getting into (no one could, going into a public circus like marrying into the Royal Family).

As I said, it was a really bad mix - a young, naive woman who needed attention and affirmation from her husband and in-laws (everyone needs that but given her family problems, she really did) and then an older, oddball husband with whom she really had nothing in common and cold, very formal in-laws.

And her greatest ability - that of being able to connect with everyday people - turned out to be a liability when it came to how the Royal Family saw her, IMO. They were not happy (JMO) that she became an unprecedented superstar like no other from the Royals and that she outshined everyone else. The real irony is that I don't think they ever truly got it when it came to 'why' folks so loved Diana - that she related as a human being to them.

Very sad.

tversky

tversky

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 6:26 PM

My impression of Princess Diana actually went DOWN after watching this show. I understand she was just 19 when she got married but I still don't think that excuses her remarkable emotional immaturity.
Just the mere fact that she threw herself down the stairs when she was pregnant is enough for me to conclude she had serious mental problems.
The woman is Susan Smith (the mom from SC that drowned her kids a few years back) with a royal title:
Self-pitying, emotionally manipulative, by all accounts charming and able to connect on an emotional level with people, vengeful, with little or no self-introspection,...i.e. borderline personality disorder.
Eeek.
Charles sounds like a cold fish asshole but I have alot of trouble seeing her as the poor victim. More like an emotionally needy, unstable woman that couldn't cope.

Edited by tversky, Mar 14, 2004 @ 6:59 PM.

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 7:34 PM

i.e. borderline personality disorder.

My thoughts exactly when I read the book.

Anyhow, my parents sentenced me to boarding school for two years....Talk about psyche disorders....It seemed like the top 2 extracurricular activities were attempting/contemplating suicide or bingeing and purging every meal and snack. My mom pulled me out (thank God!) when she was visiting one weekend and overheard two girls teaching a younger girl the fine art of vomitting. Diana reminds me of those nutcases...

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2004 @ 7:43 PM

My impression of Princess Diana actually went DOWN after watching this show. I understand she was just 19 when she got married but I still don't think that excuses her remarkable emotional immaturity.

I think what led to her emotional immaturity was the fact that her parents were so messed up. With all their money and aristocracy, they were like any other dysfunctional family, and Diana came from a broken home when you get down to it. I guess that is the great leveler.

maybetomorrow

maybetomorrow

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 12:50 PM

The more revealed about her that's supposed to make us sympathetic just makes me dislike her. They're only so much moaning and whining you can take from a rich, white princess about how horrible she had it before you say "Enough!"

It's sad that her husband cheated on her, but then again, join the club. It's not that rare of a situation and she acted like she was the first one and only. Also, my sympathy is negated by the fact that she also cheated on him, and was later the "other woman" when she herself hooked up with a married man and tried to break up his marriage by phoning his wife, etc.

I can't blame the Firm totally for treating her like a drama queen because she was a drama queen. We all know people like that, who get hysterical over everything so you don't know what is serious and what is not. In the throwing herself down the stairs story, she says she was having an argument with Charles and he finally said something like, "You're hysterical, I can't talk to you when you're like this, I'm going out for a ride," and that prompted the dramatic stair surfing. Sorry, but Charles' reaction is exactly what I would've done: if you're in an argument with someone who is hysterical and quite clearly is not going to talk or listen the best method is to go away for a walk or whatever and take a breather so both parties can calm down. None of Charles' behavior, even through her bitter ex-wife filter, seemed that outlandish.

Hanna-Reetta

Hanna-Reetta

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2005 @ 3:24 PM

I definitely feel sympathy for Diana after watching the documentary. But I can also understand Charles to some extent.

I think the biggest problem was that they knew she had bulimia and was self-destructive, but did nothing to help her. She needed professional help. Therapy, possible some time in the hospital, someone to confide in, someone who could do something about her problems. Bulimia, suicidal tendencies, depression, etc are not things you can just snap out of. But it seems the royal family was much more interested in keeping her problems secret than helping her. So some blame definitely lies there. I also hated how Charles told Diana not to faint in public. WTF? Your wife's sick, man. Get her some help and don't guilt her. 0

That said, I can understand the royal family was tired of her behaviour. She was in need of help and tried to get it all from her husband. I think she wanted Charles to solve all her problems, hold her hand every time she felt bad, etc. I think that's too much to ask. Granted, Charles never loved her, and their marriage was a mistake. But there's only so much whining you can take, even when the other person clearly has a serious problem. In a relationship, both parties should be able to vent and get support. If the other one has much bigger problems, it all too easily becomes a therapist-patient relationship and not an equal love relationship. Living with that day to day - I think I would have lost my compassion for her too.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2005 @ 2:21 PM

I understand she was just 19 when she got married

Not to be a nit pick, but she was 20. (her 20th birthday was July 1, and the wedding was July 29)

I think the biggest problem was that they knew she had bulimia and was self-destructive, but did nothing to help her.

Yep. Their idea of "help" was to hire people loyal to The Firm, the same ones who were whispering to the press about Diana being sick and unstable. Diana was right to refuse their help.

I think she wanted Charles to solve all her problems, hold her hand every time she felt bad, etc.

Their ideas of marriage were just too different. Her idea of marriage was to have a constant companion by your side. His idea of marriage was to ride horses and be left alone. Neither was realistic.

Granted, Charles never loved her

And that's why I place more blame on him during the early years. During their courtship, he sent her letters proclaiming his love for her and arranged for flowers to be dropped on the doorstep of her flat. He had her fooled into thinking he really loved her. She was not a mature woman who could see right through it. She was naive, easy impressed, had no real romantic experience, and was desperate for love. Diana didn't know any better, but Charles did, which is why I think his pursuit of Diana was rather irresponsible and twisted. Unfortunately for him, his real true wuv - Camilla - was the town bike and The Firm knew it. They wanted him to get a pretty virginal brood mare from a reputable family and he got one. It's too bad.

Edited by Phenobarbara, Aug 26, 2005 @ 2:37 PM.

oldbabe

oldbabe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2005 @ 3:31 PM

Diana didn't know any better, but Charles did, which is why I think his pursuit of Diana was rather irresponsible and twisted. ... They wanted him to get a pretty virginal brood mare from a reputable family and he got one.

Charles was following centuries of tradition in pursuing a "virginal brood mare" with the proper genetic background (i.e. aristocratic) when it was time for him to marry. He knew his duty to the royal family was to produce heirs, preferably male heirs, and while love would have been nice, it's never been a prerequisite for an heir to the throne's marrage.

His mother became queen only because her father was the default king when Edward VIII abdicated the throne for "that Simpson woman" (twice divorced, that slut!!) and the pressure was on Charles to marry only the "right" kind of girl. Although he postponed marriage as long as he could, since he couldn't have Camilla, by the time he was in his early 30s his father made it clear it was time to start begetting heirs. Charles would have had a tough time finding a woman closer to his age who didn't have a "past" so a considerably younger woman as his wife was pretty much assured. Diana was discovered at the right time and love had nothing to do with the selection, although maybe some lust initially. OTOH, "Randy Andy" was allowed to marry Fergie, a woman who definitely had a "past" but Andrew wasn't burdened with the same pressure as Charles to find the perfect wife.

None of this is to justify some of Charles' behavior toward Diana, but I actually feel sorry for both he and Diana, for different reasons. Charles is a victim of his traditional, demanding upbringing by parents who were emotionally unavailable, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree -- he cared more about his nanny than his parents. And Diana was a victim of her family's emotional turbulence. The odds were always against them.

AlexDS69

AlexDS69

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2005 @ 1:26 AM

Homegirl had major problems. That aside, I still miss Diana, Princess of Wales. She was one of the few people in history whom you can say with 100% positivity, "There was no one like her before, no one like her now, and there never will be anyone like her."