Gin and Bitterness: The Anger Management Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1539 replies to this topic

Erin

Erin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 12:57 PM

Per several requests, here's a thread where you can bitch, moan, whine, grouse, grapple and groan about your anger and bitterness toward this season. Just consider it a centralized location for your disappointment.

A word of warning: Don't attack each other. If I come in here and see even one little scrap of fighting, I'll close the thread. Trust me.

Enjoy!

BondJBond

BondJBond

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

Thanks Regina. I know there are many who will appreciate having this thread.

As a long-time wearer of rose-colored glasses and an extreme spoiler hound, I have decided to just tread water until better days arrive.

I do however have one issue. Where the hell is Donovan?

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 1:23 PM

Apparently I'll have to show my huge geekiness by saying "the leader of the rebels from V Donovan, played by Marc Singer?" No, seriously, who's Donovan?

I just keep getting madder and madder at this show. Rewatching the old seasons rubs it in further and further. The main things I really loved about the show were not the odd sexual tension or the lack of a triangle or really dumb spy plots. I used to really like the action sequences, particularly of a woman kicking ass. I liked the relationships everyone had - Sloane and Syd, Dixon and Syd, Vaughn and Weiss, Marshall and damn near everyone, and naturally, the SpyFamily, Sark and Syd in that great antagonistic competitive vibe. Now we get barely a glimmer of this as we go from week to week in search of another dumb way to hurt the covenant.

And then there's Lauren. She's pretty and all that, but every time I see her on screen I just want to strangle her. She takes time away from everything I like. Aside from eye candy, she's added virtually nothing to the show, and is a constant blazing symbol of how strangely the show has diverged.

When the 2 year gap happened, I thought the show would suck because it'd be basically a giant '2 years earlier' thing for a while. And that was sort of true, though they took their sweet time getting around to it. What I didn't expect was that they'd throw away all the things that made the show good in the first place in addition to adding this convoluted and unnecessary plot device.

kzingirl

kzingirl

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 1:33 PM

I'm optimistic about the show but damn it if I don't have more than a few issues. The top two for me at the moment are Vaughn and the plot.

With Vaughn I just want to grab JJ and yell, "What the hell did you do to him?!" I understand the man is not perfect but did you have to spend an entire season dragging him through the mud while only giving a few glimpses of the Vaughn we once knew. This could have been a ripe storytelling opportunity with his character if you'd done more with him besides longing looks and guilty sulking. Where the hell is the depth to this triangle?

Divorce isn't that hard so why the hell is he staying with her? I can come up with a few reasons based on my own analysis of his character but I'd like to hear him actually discuss it with someone even if it's his damn dog. (And where the hell is he? Hanging out with Ross and Rachel's kid?) Basically I want to know what the hell they're trying to do with him cause I just can't see it and believe me, I've looked.

The other complaint I had is the lurching nature of the story this season. Where the hell are we going? In season 1 and 2 we could feel each ep building upon each other as they led to something. We'd learn new and interesting clues each week and have at least one question answered even if others were raised.

And it wasn't just the cliffhangers that created the sense of flow. That was fun but that was just a matter of where you took a break in the story. This is about the plot and I just haven't seen it this year. Maybe it's all leading up to something but if I can't even get a glimpse of the big picture from ep to ep then I don't give a damn if it all falls into place when the big reveal happens cause by that point I've stopped caring. It's a damn story and the journey should be just as rewarding as the ending. Instead we've been jerked here and there as they've flung odd details at us and then never mentioned them in the next ep.

What the hell happened to Sydney's ova? Who the hell is the passenger? What happened to Sloane's buddy played by DH? Is anyone ever going to talk about Syd's missing years? Yeah it was solved for her but what about everyone else in her life? JJ better start picking up the threads and acting like he knows where the hell he wants to take this and soon.

Roarke

Roarke

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 1:40 PM

Thanks Regina! I quit posting in other threads because I was becoming so negative. This is perfect!

I have decided to just tread water until better days arrive

According to Jinnie we'll be treading thru at least 4 more episodes. Sucks. A whole season has been wasted. I keep watching, and waiting for things to get better. JJ keeps insisting he listens to Alias fans. JJ lies. My head is telling me to bail with the Hos. My heart isn't ready to let go.

I'm optimistic

I was optimistic all last summer. Then my shipper heart was cut & diced. Then it was tramped on. Some of the problems have stemmed from not getting LO back. But my major beef has been with inconsistant writers!!! Can we limit the number of writers and directors?? That may help with a better flow.

And I haven't even begun on the COW. Done ranting for now.

Groovy Girl

Groovy Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 2:07 PM

Hee! A thread for me, complete with gin.

Its almost too painful to read Regina's recaps. She loved the show, bizarre plot twists and all. Now I can sense her total frustration with this show, which echoes the total frustration I feel.

I started souring on the show during Phase 1 and it was cemented with the Swilliage. Ack, where's the acid to burn that image off my retina's permanently! The only fun episode was when Sloane, Vaughn, and Jack cavorted about LA. Did nothing plotwise, but man was it fun to watch. There was a playful sense of adventure and character develment that just hasn't happened this season. All season we simply lurch from one contrivance to another.

I'm ashamed to say I watch this show anymore. I never try to convince others to watch it anymore. Actually, I don't tell anyone I watch it because its more socially acceptable to admit to watching Queer Eye than this show. And that is a cryin' shame.

Thanks for opening the thread, that felt good to get off my chest.

kace

kace

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

Thanks, Regina! Somehow I don't think it will be hard to keep folks on-topic in this thread!

Now down to business...the acting (w/the exception of COW) this year has been as good as the last two years I think, so obviously the problem with S3 isn't with the acting (other than Vaughn in the pool scene in the last episode--what the hell was that?!).

I really have to agree with everyone else and pin it on the writing (and possibly the direction, too). In re-watching S1 and S2, I find myself wondering, "Yeah, whatever happened to that...." It's like S1 and S2 never existed except for the SVR that's causing the emotion of the Trianvil. What about Il Tire (The Telling) that Sloane was building at the end of S2--whatever became of that? What exactly has Sloane been chosen for? Why does Syd have to stop him? How is the Covenant involved in any of it? Are they just a distraction from Rambaldi or related to it somehow? We don't know based on this season.

And the focus on relationships just isn't there this season: Shouldn't there have been some tension and hurt feelings when Syd found out that Dixon knew about her missing two years? What about when Syd knew about SD-6 and kept it from Dixon? He was madder than hell at her--shouldn't she have returned the favor (so to speak)? Have Syd and Jack ever talked about her missing two years and Lazarey's connection? The only time I felt like that relationship-focus was back was the episode when Will came back and Syd finally got to *talk* to someone about how she's feeling and how she's handling things.

It's like we have these gratuitious scenes that are supposed to fulfill our relationship desires--like Vaughn and Weiss in the last episode--but they're short blips in the horribleness that this show has become in its focus on COW.

wearing red

wearing red

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

It's not that there's no continuity but just that everything is taking soooo loooong this season. Honestly, I think JJ&co have had their egos over-inflated by the past summer of superhyping season 3 due to the explosion of Jennifer Garner (love her! not insulting her) and now they can't seem to land their plane which just keeps going round and round and round the airport. The writers just can't seem to focus at all and don't seem to notice that only a couple of episodes into season 3, no one even gave a shit anymore about the past two years.

The past two seasons have always had significant moments in almost every single episode. Exciting things to remember and talk and gush about, but for the life of me, I can't remember much of what has happened this season. So far, it's just been a big boring blur.

Plus, it doesn't seem like anyone has moved forward in this season at all, except for Willage (and he did that in one episode!). Characters have either remained as what they were at the beginning of the season or mostly disappeared. Syd's still depressed and breaking my heart, Vaughn still doesn't understand that his marriage is loveless, Lauren's still not intriguing, Sloane is still not revealing any secrets, and Dixon's disappeared into the CIA Director's office... Guess I'm just glad that Jack's remained the wonderful supportive father he's always been. Well, at least, good to hear that Marshall now has a life! Whoop-dee-doo! A background character there for comic relief has been given a storyline! They should just turn it into the "Weiss gives advice to spineless!Vaughn while Marshall makes babies with Carrie" show. Ooh, yea, now I remember that Sark has had some movement in this season! I guess he could be a background character to the Weiss/Marshall show.

tothemax

tothemax

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 4:55 PM

I was optimistic about the two year gap coming into season 3. I assumed TPTB would drag the mystery out for the entire season. What I didn't expect was for the first half of the season to feel like an entire season. The entire triangle plot was old (FRIGGIN' DECREPIT!) by the third episode but it's still being dragged on and on and on. The horse is dead. Stop beating it because noone cares!! And don't even get me started with the lost years "plot". The explanation for that has to be the single stupidest thing that I've seen on television.

I used to be such a faithful viewer of this show. I've already missed two eps this season I couldn't care less. UGH!

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 5:53 PM

I hate Lauren Reed like I have never hated any fictional character before. And not in the good love to hate way, but in the ready to give up the show way. I hate that character so much, that I cannot stand to watch MG in anything else. When I found out she was on "Monk", I made sure I missed that episode. It's the only episode of Monk I haven't seen. I may now have to ff through Sark scenes because of her, and I love Sarkums!

LinaBo

LinaBo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 5:59 PM

To use a really dumb cooking analogy as a means to simplify how I view this season, and to mask some of my anger in a pathetic attempt at humour, let's just compare it to a cheap plate of spaghetti and meatballs, shall we?:

The (once wonderful, now bland, haphazard, ill-executed and oft forgotten) secondary plotlines: You have this bland, bloated, stringy substance that is broken up into pieces. Rather than connecting, it just lies there in a mushy heap. It would have been complimentary to the rest of the dish, if someone had only salted the water during the cooking process to give it some flavour, and not chopped it up beyond recognition in an attempt to cram it all into a small, triangle-shaped pot. Limp Noodles: Lindsey (for such a prominent asshole, what was his purpose?); The fate of Frallison (I need to see a very dead body before I'll believe she's dead, thanks); Sydney's eggs (ha, something like that being fixed in one episode? riiiight); That Bomani guy.

The (once wonderful, now bland, haphazard, ill-executed and oft forgotten) primary plotlines: An inappropriately seasoned, diluted creation that fails to justify its existance. One can conclude that its lone purpose may be to provide colour, but something about even that characteristic is decidedly off. Rotten tomatoes: The love triangle (that lacks that whole 'love' factor), and its 'character assassinating lust connections for the sake of a cheap ratings fix' extensions: the Swillage and the Lark.

The (once wonderful, now bland, haphazard, ill-executed and oft forgotten) character development and interactions: Self contained chunks, far too big and obvious to be integrated with the other ingredients, and of course, not with each other. Too few and too far between when being served up by those who are stingy and seek the most profit while being cheap. Some are overcooked, some undercooked, all lacking in extending ingredients and flavour meant to give them depth and palatability. Base ingredient (of an overwhelming 95%) is COW. What happens when 'Mad Cow' spreads to humans: Lauren and her overexposure is the key problem, here. Melissa George's inability to exude the charisma needed for a role requiring such range makes it an abysmal failure that is impossible to overlook while it's being shoved in our faces. Furthermore, what little character development we see for even main characters isn't evenly distributed, or keeping with their personalities (especially with that of Sark). It seems to be added as an afterthought to the plot... when it should be integral, because it is the plot. The fact that they're so self contained only makes the lackluster main plotlines even more glaring when character development is forgotten for the time. The bottom line is that everyone races around like a bunch of emotionless props, chasing macguffins which don't seem to have any thought out purpose to the story in the long run, and everything (EVERYTHING) seems to revolve around the existance of Lauren. Everyone else's minimal character development, every story, everything.

J.J.? Is a good cook when he lays off the crack, and organizes his work priorities in advance... but Melissa makes for a lousy Sous Chef, and someone should fire her ass before the kitchen burns down, if you know what I mean. I may be able to stomach this shit for little while... afterall, I did sell two years of my life and a soul for it... but there comes a point when crap is crap, and for the sake of good taste one must scrape it into the trash bin and call it a loss.

SweetP

SweetP

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 7:06 PM

This season is so bad I was more excited about those wack-jobs on "The Surreal Life".

Melissa George has as much as pizzazz as a Senior's Bingo Night. You know those people who think they can get away with wearing a pair of jeans to a wedding, while everyone else looks fairly classy? That's how I'd like to compare MG's acting to the rest of the cast. She just ain't got it. And now, like cyberducks I can't watch her in anything without wanting to throw my shoe at her.

Besides the fact that JJ got his Season Three ideas in Tijuana, I think we can blame the piss-poor writing on the revolving door of new writers, with JJ's "guidance" in tow. I know two of his writers have defected to "The O.C. (which is why I think Seth has Vaughn's balls), but he's got to put them on a leash and make sure they don't bark up the wrong tree. Like at the fans.

And the Yawnster. Yep, it's bad when Vaughn becomes Yawn. I still insist JJ left his bollocks at Francie's grave, cause he doesn't know where that is!! JJ, Mr. Producer, you should not be allowed around scissors! JJ better disinfect and give him a transplant before sending him back to Syd. Oh yes. And I don't think there is enough Lysol on this planet to clean those chemistry-laden kids back to the way they once were. And for that JJ, I gladly pop you the bird!

Houdini

Houdini

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 7:37 PM

My really big issue, other than Lauren which I am ITA with everyone else on the subject, is the lack of continuity. The great thing about S-1 and S-2 was they way everything fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. The story lines built on each other and very few things (except Donovan) were just dropped without explainaton.

This season they can't even maintain continuity within the same episode. Major things happen and are just never discussed again. Syd didn't even get so much as an "I'm sorry the Covenant stole your eggs" Hallmark card from Vaughn or Jack. Its like that part of the show never happened. Oh, and if I learned that I saw my boyfriend making out with some other chick nine months after I supposedly died, I would sure have mentioned it to him by now. Have they even had that discussion, apparently not.

Edited by Houdini, Feb 28, 2004 @ 9:27 PM.

bitterpill

bitterpill

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 8:06 PM

I hate: the character assasination of Vaughn, the COW, the RONG, the two-year jump, the lack of continuity, the lame missions, and the fact that I still watch this shit, waiting for it to somehow get better.

I love: Regina. Great idea. Thanks.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 9:05 PM

Shit, it figures that we finally get a bitterness thread in the very same week that I resolved to stop ranting and caring about The Lauren Reed Show so much. So, in the interest of keeping that promise to myself, I'm just going to say that what I'm most bitter about is the fact that this show has reached a level where we even need a bitterness thread.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 9:06 PM

Lauren honestly doesn't bother me, I usually either hardly notice the character or sometimes find her a little amusing.

But what I dislike about this season is the lack of direction. In the first episode of the season, Sydney took charge of her life and did what needed to be done to get her father out. And then...nothing. Her missing two years were never played out concrete enough to DRIVE an entire season because Sydney sat back, said "let's fight the Covenant" and did the two steps behind search. She never took charge, never said, let's go take over this Covenant facility, or kidnap this Covenant operative and get some answers.

And then, she DOES find out what happened, and it's handled like a complete afterthought. Instead of her learning the truth becoming a catalyst to drive a NEW purpose for the second half of the season, we got nothing. We got her burning up some eggs and that apparently is supposed to solve everything that happened in the two years except Vaughn.

Sydney hasn't expressed any huge desire to get vengeance against the entire Covenant. It's hard to care because it doesn't seem like Sydney CARES. She's too busy worrying about Vaughn. And if Sydney DOESN'T care about getting the Covenant then why is she still IN the CIA? Running on automatic? When she doesn't know what to do, she just does spy work? The only thing she rustles up any emotion about is Vaughn and THAT bugs me. I want to see her either angry at the Covenant, or eager to get away from the spyworld/CIA, all the reminders of what she's lost.

She needs to jump into the front of the Alias train and get us pointed at a destination. While I'm not ready to get off, I can't blame people who are, since we seem to be headed nowhere in particular.

wearing red

wearing red

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 9:54 PM

She needs to jump into the front of the Alias train and get us pointed at a destination. While I'm not ready to get off, I can't blame people who are, since we seem to be headed nowhere in particular.

aliasscape, that's the perfect way to say what this season is. I really do feel like we're not heading anywhere at all because as soon as an episode ends I forget what's happened, how it ended, and what I'm supposed to be looking forward to/be on the edge of my seat for come the next episode in one week (or 3 weeks, or 5).

SAHM I AM

SAHM I AM

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 10:43 PM

Yeah, what Aliasscape said.

I wish I could muster some bitterness to spew, but I think I've finally given up. The show has gotten to be like certain dysfunctional family members. You know, the ones that can say the most inflamatory things to you and you just shine them on because they are no longer worth your anger, or any feeling really. Which is opposed to the ones you still fight, rage and bicker with because you're still invested. Deep down they still matter to you.

Sadly, JJ and crew will get no more arguments from me.

liquid2009

liquid2009

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 11:28 PM

I could blah bling in detail about everything that pisses me off about Alias now, but I'll be brief.

Sark's pussified. Vaughn's dumbified. Weiss never does anything, despite having been put in the main credits. Neither do Jack or Dixon. Marshall, Carrie and the baby. Does anyone care? Lauren... well, just Lauren. Sloane is no longer the uber villain that he once was. I don't care what his endgame is.

In fact, that's the general problem with the whole show now. I don't care what happens, nor do I care about the characters. They're all wooden, horribly written, and lack any of the depth they used to have. Especially Sydney. She is so annoying now... more so.

I don't WANT the show to be renewed. It would be better for it to die now before it gets any worse.

I bitch about 24 a lot this season too, but it's nothing compared to the horrors of Alias now.

babysister

babysister

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2004 @ 11:34 PM

Lauren honestly doesn't bother me, I usually either hardly notice the character or sometimes find her a little amusing.

I'm in the same camp w/ you. The truth is such that the 3rd season has been so shoddy (and no, trying to make a grand sweeping redemption gesture in the remaining 4 epis don't pass muster) that highlighting Lauren and/or MG as the end all and be all source of evil is neither there nor here. While I understand how some viewers are placing the blame squarely at MG/Lauren, I doubt the the elimination of her character would cure the ills plaguing the show. The show is an ensemble cast, and if it's strong enough, it should be able to withstand the introduction of one poorly written/acted character/actor. But when the entire house comes stumbling down at the first whiff of wind, it simply means the foundation was badly lay down in the first place. And this is what's been happening to Alias this year. It's not just Lauren, it's also just about everything else associated w/ the series ranging from character assassination to lack of continuity, contrived missions, and out-of-synch pacing.

I think we can blame the piss-poor writing on the revolving door of new writers, with JJ's "guidance" in tow. I know two of his writers have defected to "The O.C. (which is why I think Seth has Vaughn's balls)

I didn't know this. And is it any surprise that the O.C. is now my weekly staple and quite a popular topic of discussion during happy hour? And I have to say that I really envy their plush HS setting, and that open air cafeteria of theirs.

ChocolateChippy

ChocolateChippy

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 12:21 AM

While I understand how some viewers are placing the blame squarely at MG/Lauren, I doubt the the elimination of her character would cure the ills plaguing the show.

ITA. I was blaming MG/COW for the suckiness of the season for a long time, but then I realized that it's not really her fault. She didn't write the scripts or come up with the stupid plots or control the bad pacing or any of the other many problems of this season. The REAL problem with this season lies at the feet of JJ and the other writers. The writing has been BAD this season, it's as simple as that. It's been bad in many ways -- the characters are *completely* off, the focus has been all over the place, there's been little to no continuity, the missions haven't been interesting, they've totally ignored important things and scenes for pointless nonsense.

I'm completely uninvested now. I don't care when it's off for weeks, in fact I'm actually glad because it's less painful when it's not on.

bluepig1

bluepig1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 12:56 AM

No, seriously, who's Donovan?

Kalbear, Donovan is Vaughn's dog - a little bulldog, whom we sort of met when Syd and Vaunghn met clandestinely (in broad daylight) during Season 1. There's a screencap of him somewhere that I can't seem to find right now. Vaughn's also mentioned him to Weiss, by asking Weiss to take care of Donovan.

ashfett

ashfett

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 3:23 AM

I have a ton of problems this season. I think that a big problem seems to be that the writers seem to almost be writing too much for the fans, or what they think the fans like. People like Marshall and his humor? Okay then, we'll take him totally over the top and have him play drums in the CIA office or get married to his girlfriend who is in labor in the middle of one of Sydney's do or die missions! People love how Jack will do anything to help Sydney, so we'll have him be all bad ass and kill people for her to the point that it becomes totally "meh" cause I've seen it so much. Oh and since most fans want Sydney and Vaughn together, we'll have Sydney's only focus in life be Vaughn. On the other hand, a character like Dixon doesn't have a big, easy to identify audience pleasing trait, so he barely shows up now.

The thing that makes me the saddest is that Sydney is coming off as a much weaker and more pathetic character this season. She dated this guy for about four months and yet she can not move on in any way. The only ongoing storyline Syd has this season, beyond the quickly discarded missing two years bit, is her making puppy eyes at Vaughn. I am not a big fan of Vaughn's character (he's kinda dull to me. Bring Will back!) but I don't hate him either. Him and Sydney being a couple doesn't bother me, but damn it, their relationship should not be the constant central element of this show and of Sydney's character. (though I gotta say, and I know I'm the minority here, but I think it would much more interesting and different if Sydney and Vaughn never got back together again).

In general, I realize I do miss Sydney having ANY sort of life outside the CIA. All her life centers around is the CIA in general, and Vaughn specifically. It's so depressing.

As for Lauren, she is not the main subject of my problems this season, but she's a major symptom of them. I really wanted to like her character but she hasn't been written well at all. And revealing her as evil is the most contrived, eye rolling "surprise" ever. It's cheap storytelling that if planned from the start is amazingly simplistic and if a reaction to the bad response she got, equally pathetic.

I still find every episode of Alias "fun" and amusing, but it used to be so much more compelling and exciting to me. I really hope things turn around soon.

GirlScout

GirlScout

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

For me, I still get excited when Sunday rolls around to see Alias, but this season has been trying.

First off, the thing I dislike most is the lack of Lena Olin. I don't know if it was a money issue or the fact that she just wanted to be with her family, but she really made the show for me last season. She added to the family dynamic and she also had a connection with Vaughn (though a bad one) that added him into the equation. I've been watching my season 2 DVD, and I'm constantly saying "Oh Spy Mommy, how I miss you." I don't care what JJ has to do, pay her the money, or move the show to NYC or Conneticuit or something, just get her back.

Secondly, Lauren all together. Didn't like her from the start, don't like her now. If they wanted an evil bitch, they should have kept Merrin Dungey, (Whom I also miss a great deal this season, even though she's guested) which would have made it a lot more emotional for Syd to go up against her. The other think I don't like about the BoV storyline is how stupid it's making Vaughn and Sark. They are both too smart to fall for the OmniAccent. JJ and co are making both these character which I love fall prey to a character I hate. (and it's not a "love to hate" thing, it's just a "hate to hate") Nothing against MG, but they need to get rid of that character ASAP because its breaking my little S/V shipper heart.

Now that I've done ranting, I just wanted to say what an excellent job JG, VG, MV and the rest have done acting-wise under such poorly written, underdeveloped plots. They continue to shine even though the show continues to suck.

Seriously, the only time I felt like it was my old Alias was the episode when Justin Theroux was on it. Besides that, it's just a muddled mess.

That is all.

Edited by GirlScout, Feb 29, 2004 @ 5:15 PM.

redhat

redhat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

While I understand how some viewers are placing the blame squarely at MG/Lauren, I doubt the the elimination of her character would cure the ills plaguing the show.

Eliminating LR/MG may not cure all that ails Alias but it would certainly help. Since the big reveal about Sydney's missing years in "Full Disclosure" none of the revelations of her Julia Thorne time and egg harvesting have been addressed in any way. Instead we have been subjected to scene after scene showing us Lauren is evil. Frankly, I'm more interested in Jack's reaction to Sydney willingly working for Kendall. I want to see Vaughn's reaction to finding out Syd didn't tell him she was alive, and that Dixon and Kendall "let" him marry Lauren knowing Syd was out there. I want to know what the heck Sloane is up to. And even though she is off screen, Irina and her sisters interest me far more than Lauren Reed, good or evil.

Yes, the appalling lack of continuity and focus can be laid at the door of the writer's room, but they have spent so much time retooling Lauren, trying to make her work, it is getting in the way of the entire show. Yes, it is frustrating TPTB seem to be willing to tamper with and destroy Vaughn and Sark to accommodate a character and an actress that just is not working. Too much of the show is focused on her now and many of us just don't care about Lauren Reed.

Edited by redhat, Feb 29, 2004 @ 12:51 PM.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 12:59 PM

Since somebody brought up Justin Theroux, it also bugs me greately that his character was killed off so quickly. He was actually interesting, and his relationship with Syd/Julia was intriguing. But bang bang, and he is dead. Rolls eyes in disgust.

How sad, I can't think of anything to say about Alias, other than rantyness in this thread.

Yeah, Spydaddy shoots her in the head, while Vaughn and Sark hold her down. Heh, yummy goodness.

What do you wanna bet the only people who are going to buy the upcoming Lauren actiondoll, are the ones who plan to do horrible things to that doll in the privacy of their homes...as she rubs her hands and cackles gleefully...

Edited by cyberducks, Feb 29, 2004 @ 2:26 PM.

Eboogie

Eboogie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 2:07 PM

Where do I begin? I'll start at the beginning..

Alias was the first show I watched that I felt compelled to go to a website to discuss. Yeah, I watched Buffy and X-Files, but that was just entertainment for me. Alias was different.

Season 1 was pure fun. Season 2 had some weak episodes but the introduction of Lena Olin made it amazing. Not to mention the consummation of the SVR. And, I'm not even a shipper. The season 2 finale was amazing. Yeah, ring, blah blah blah. I was optimistic.

And, the episodes just started sucking. Seriously. I think there was one good episode this season. What compels JJ & Co to introduce a mediocre actress and make her a central character in a show with top caliber actors and breakout stars?

The final straw for me? A storyline that revolves around Jack possibly not being Sydney's father. To me, the reason why I watch this show anymore is because of VG. As I've said in other threads, this relationship is the core of the show. They can take away the SVR and I'll survive, but they can't take away Spydaddy and Syd.

The plot now just seems like complication for the sake of complication. So that's my story, why I'm bitter. Why I might watch the episode I've Tivo'd, if I have time. Why I won't be buying the Season 3 DVD and why I really don't care anymore if the show gets cancelled.

The only thing that will ever make me feel better about the show is if the Season 3 finale revolves around Lauren Reed getting shot in the head by Spydaddy.

And if anyone hasn't seen this message from the VartanHos this pretty much sums up my feelings completely.

Anyone else feel like Souris was lucky to get out when she did?

Edited by Eboogie, Feb 29, 2004 @ 2:13 PM.

ladyslug

ladyslug

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 2:42 PM

I'm going to echo some of the other people on this thread by saying that the things that disappoint me most (and I'm not going to pretend like they don't link straight back to Lauren Reed) is the lack of continuity and the pinpoint-laser focus on the S/V relationship.

People on this show no longer keep the same personality traits from one episode to the next, let alone from one season to another. But maybe that's because the show is focusing heavily on just a few characters while sending the rest to the subplot basement, and those characters are either not clearly defined in the first place or are dealing with such a contrived plotline that they are not even recognizable as themselves any longer.

Let me say: I am an S/V shipper. I loved the UST throughout the first season, and I cheered when they kissed in "Phase One." But this third season has made me ashamed to be a shipper. Not only because I can't find a clear position on the "not the other woman" and "devoted to his wife" arguments, but because the show has become entirely about Sydney and Vaughn's relationship, to the exclusion of things like interaction with other characters, action missions that further the Rambaldi mythology plotline, and Sydney's relationship with her family, which JJ has said previously was the heart of the show. I thought I loved Alias for the S/V ship, but it turns out I loved it for everything that was there in the beginning.

I do feel like getting rid of the Lauren Reed character would go a long way to restoring the balance of the show to the Alias I know and love, because it would give the other characters more play, allow us to advance the Rambaldi and Sloane's endgame plotlines, and perhaps let us get a real villain.

bobisbob

bobisbob

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

I'm sad that Alias is coming to an end. I get all weepy and upset when I think about my once-favorite show's inevitable demise. It's coming. We can all feel it.

Now I sort of wish I hadn't invested so much time and emotion into Alias. I feel manipulated, angry, and heartbroken when I think about the way JJ's treated us this season. Doesn't he realize that bitter alcoholics don't like to be mindfucked??

It also sucks, because Alias was my main reason for visiting Twop. No one around me watches the show, so it was cool to be around a group of people who were as obsessed as I was. I was even bothering to watch this season just for the snark, fan fic, speculation, etc. that I get from Twop.

What am I going to do, now that it seems like the Alias we knew and loved is gone forever?

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2004 @ 5:12 PM

You're not alone, ladyslug. I think most shippers preferred for the relationship to be in the background, which is one of the reasons why the triangle and the over-emphasis on the triangle rankles so much.