Boston

• Please log in to reply

975 replies to this topic

benchelsea

benchelsea

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 10:46 AM

The weekend after the Marathon sounds great to me, and Rangzen sounds good too.

agtpop

agtpop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2004 @ 12:00 PM

I can't meet up during the day on the 24th, but either that evening or anytime on the 25th would be great.

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

I would love to meet up with other TWoPers in the area...I'm in Somerville and just moved out here from LA in late January. Rangzen sounds very intriguing and I would vote for the night of April 24th -- hopefully we'll have a nice big crowd meeting up!

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 9:13 AM

Ok, so we have a tentative date: April 24th -- evening-- (so agtpop can come) and we have a place. Rangzen in Somerville. Sweet. Let's try to get an accurate headcount, by, say, April 10 so we can make a reservation. I imagine Saturday nights are pretty busy there. I'll be happy to cal and make the arrangements once we have a head count; I'll also find out about T-stop info.

Let the merriment begin!!!

Edited by MSat, Mar 25, 2004 @ 9:14 AM.

Dea

Dea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 11:42 AM

I'm in! Rangzen sounds great (and is less than a mile from my home), and it's in Central Square, which has lots of bars, so if people want to have a drink after dinner it's easily done.

MSat, I'm willing to be your local lieutenant if you would like any assistance. The closest T stop (and its thisclose to the restaurant) is the Central Square T stop on the red line, which intersects with the commuter line a few stops "up" at the Porter Square T stop on the red line and several stops "down" at the South Station red line in Boston.

Edited by Dea, Mar 25, 2004 @ 11:45 AM.

Kurtle

Kurtle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

Count me in! I'm only one T stop away!

benchelsea

benchelsea

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

Count me in, too.

agtpop

agtpop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

thanks MSat! much appreciated. so, obviously, I'll be there. :)

cellochick

cellochick

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 7:30 PM

I'm so glad other people are organized enough to pull this together. Count me in, too!

Parking note for those considering coming in from outside the T-able area: this is a pretty decent area, parking-wise (to the best of my recollection; it's been a while since I've had reason to park there). Worst case scenario, there are some pretty cheap garages/lots, but you'd also have a good shot at being able to park on the street.

Edited by cellochick, Mar 25, 2004 @ 7:34 PM.

silvershovel

silvershovel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 8:47 PM

Yay!! I am so in! This is exciting!! April 24th sounds great!!

Oh, and thanks for taking the initiative MSat!!

Edited by silvershovel, Mar 25, 2004 @ 8:52 PM.

SpyRI

SpyRI

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 10:43 AM

Fantastic! Can't wait to meet all y'all!

Dea

Dea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2004 @ 4:16 PM

I just found out that the WBOS (radio station) free concert "Festival for the Earth" is being held at the Esplanade in Boston on the same day as our TWoPCon (April 24). This is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. Good because if you're into hanging out with huge crowds of people listening to somewhat popular bands (Third Eye Blind, Los Lonely Boys and The BoDeans) you can come into the city early and head to the Esplanade. Bad because it's a pretty huge draw meaning there will be thousands pouring into the city, which can cause traffic and public transportation snarls and issues. So heads up Boston TWoPCONners!

Edited by Dea, Apr 2, 2004 @ 4:16 PM.

IndigoTwilight

IndigoTwilight

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 5:50 PM

Nothing to see.

Edited by IndigoTwilight, May 22, 2009 @ 9:04 AM.

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 6:24 PM

Wow, I listen to BOS and this is the first I've heard about it. Guess I'm not listening at the right time!

Does anyone know what time this concert is supposed to start? If it's during the day, I don't think it will affect our plans much. We were thinking a 7-7:30 p.m. start time. At the most, it might make the T more crowded than usual, if the show gets out and people are leaving Boston to go back to Somervville around that time.

I say we press on with the 24th, unless anyone objects?

Kurtle

Kurtle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 8:48 PM

Let's refuse to allow Third Eye Blind to ruin our party. The 24th still works for me.

And it looks like Rangzen doesn't serve alcohol, so I can't imagine them banning the under 21s. Indigo, you should come along! If for some reason Rangzen does ban minors on a whim, I can't imagine that this group wouldn't at least entertain the idea of quickly finding some more hospitable location nearby for a quick meet-and-greet before maybe splitting up between a group that wants to go to 21+ places and a group that doesn't.

Edited by Kurtle, Apr 5, 2004 @ 8:58 PM.

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2004 @ 10:10 PM

I'm still up for April 24 for the TWoPcon-- can't wait to meet other TWoPers in the area. I live close to Central Square, so if you guys need help with setting this up, please let me know!

lemongirl

lemongirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2004 @ 9:41 PM

Does anyone know what time this concert is supposed to start? If it's during the day, I don't think it will affect our plans much. We were thinking a 7-7:30 p.m. start time. At the most, it might make the T more crowded than usual, if the show gets out and people are leaving Boston to go back to Somervville around that time.

I just heard that the festival starts at 10 and the bands start at noon. It seems like the whole thing will be over by 7...

18matt

18matt

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 1:19 PM

I live within a ten-minute walking distance from central sq. So, I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm considering it.

I'm really going to regret posting this, but are any guys coming to this thing? I only ask because I love twop, so I went to a twop con once, and it was like 30 women and me. Now, it's not that I don't like women, or being around them. I'm gay for heavens sake, I practically am a woman. Nevertheless, it was just a bit awkward and uncomfortable for me.

I'm sorry to all I have offended.

Edited by 18matt, Apr 7, 2004 @ 1:20 PM.

Dea

Dea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 2:21 PM

You're going to have to do better than that to offend me 18Matt. I don't know if any men are going, but I think you should come anyway. I'll do all I can to steer the conversation away from things like menstrual cycles and the like.

Edited by Dea, Apr 7, 2004 @ 2:21 PM.

ednakrabapel

ednakrabapel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 5:57 PM

Mostly a lurker but I am so glad someone got this together. I can come the 24th, and am looking forward to it.

IndigoTwilight

IndigoTwilight

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 9:07 PM

And it looks like Rangzen doesn't serve alcohol, so I can't imagine them banning the under 21s. Indigo, you should come along! If for some reason Rangzen does ban minors on a whim, I can't imagine that this group wouldn't at least entertain the idea of quickly finding some more hospitable location nearby for a quick meet-and-greet before maybe splitting up between a group that wants to go to 21+ places and a group that doesn't.

Woo-hoo! I'm in. Just out of curiosity, what's the age range of other people going? I'm probably going to be the 'kid' - I usually am.

*Sigh* Oh well, for a TWoPCon, I'll grin and bear it. Hee.

ednakrabapel

ednakrabapel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 3:22 PM

Well, I'm twenty-nine, but have been told I act like a ten year old, so I guess that makes me ?

Dea

Dea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 3:33 PM

heh - I'm 37 but really I'll always be 12.

Kurtle

Kurtle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 11:19 PM

18matt, I'm a guy. I think the vast majority of posters on this site are women, so it makes sense that most of the partygoers at a TWoPCon would be women, but if you and I show up, there will be at least two guys.

I used to go to the Dallas cons when I lived in Texas, and we had a fairly even gender mix, although the women did always outnumber the men when there was a difference.

Oh, and I'm 23, but I look a lot younger (I still get carded pretty often when I try to go to R-rated movies).

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2004 @ 7:59 PM

Hope everyone had a great Easter. Anyone catch the Sox game on Saturday! Wheee!

Here's a rundown of the confirmed attendees. I'd like to have the closest approximate headcount by Tuesday.
YES:
MSat [Butters] uhh, that's me![/Butters]
ednakrabapel
Dea
Romantique
benchelsea
agtpop
kurtle
cellochick
silvershovel
SpyRI

MAYBE:
IndigoTwilight
18matt

On the guy/girl ratio issue:
Yes, it's true, most TWoP'ers turn out to be female at thes meetings. But we manage to have a ball. I only wish Cosmorific were in these here parts to confirm this. She was an absolute hoot at the last Boston area con. Whisky shots all around! Yah!

If anyone else wants to add their moniker to this list, let 'er rip.

See y'all in 2 weeks!

IndigoTwilight

IndigoTwilight

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2004 @ 1:57 PM

MAYBE:
IndigoTwilight
18matt

Add me in MSat, I'll definitely attend.

SpyRI

SpyRI

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2004 @ 5:45 PM

Hi, I was wondering if it would be Ok if Mr Spy comes along? He loves Boston! And snarks at the TV, but not at TWOP. And, for those counting, another guy!

MSat

MSat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2004 @ 5:55 PM

Hi, all. I just spoke with the folks at Rangzen, and found out that they don't take reservations. I explained that we are a large group, and what would be the best time to arrive on a Saturday night to make sure we can all sit together? She told me we should arive around 6:30 for best results. I know we had already discussed 7-7:30, so does a half hour earlier present a problem for anyone?

Dea

Dea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2004 @ 9:26 AM

6:30 works for me.

SpyRI, I can't claim to speak for all, but in my book Mr. Spy is more than welcome. Snarky goodness is snarky goodness, whether on TV or in real life. Bring it on Mr. Spy!

silvershovel

silvershovel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2004 @ 3:11 PM

6:30pm is fine with me!